AMD Confirms Key "Summit Ridge" Specs

Having too much integration is not a good thing, it's like a all in one printer, you have print, fax, scan, and copy. When one function fails, they all stop to working. Happened to a Intel CPU I was building with. It had a iGPU. some how iGPU stop working and plugging in a discrete video card didn't work either cause I can't get into the bios to switch from onboard to video card, so the system is always booting from the onboard graphics.

As for small boards, like ITX, some want them, but for me I still prefer my ATX and E-ATX with extra expansion slots.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

do you even .. you know .. read?!

ZEN can be the same perf as Kaby Lake when it launches - I still have no use for a SoC on a desktop; I'm not buying a mobile phone nor a laptop, do you get that?

You act like Intel's CPUs are a SoC design?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

2 minutes ago, themaniac said:

go ahead and trust them, just dont go saying that it will do what they say it will without concrete proof

Well AMD will suicide if they do, this is why my money is on them being correct, they CANNOT afford to fail this time around, i'm sure they learnt from past FX iterations.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, hex4 said:

Well AMD will suicide if they do, this is why my money is on them being correct, they CANNOT afford to fail this time around if they want to stay independent, i'm sure they learnt from past FX iterations.

ftfy

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

6 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Then just don't buy it. Problem solved. I'm sure we're all gonna be super happy about that decision.

gee . don't you worry, I won't

neither those other millions of people who though APUs were shit - look were AMD got into for betting on them

this will be round 2

56 minutes ago, zMeul said:

f the PCIe lanes are limited how would they do that?

at least Intel has the DMI interconnect on top of the PCIe lanes from the CPU

pcie over gmi link

AMD's GMI - Global Memory Interconnect, extends the coherent fabric between chips on the same multi-chip module (MCM) package. The coherent fabric extends between packages using combo phys which also support PCIe interconnection.

I am sure that AMD will leave enough extra bus connections that the partner board manufacturers will still be able to differentiate their products.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

plus, it adds multiple failure points in the CPU - un fucking believable 

what about when Intel put the north bridge or the voltage regulator (which they are removing with the skylake release) onto their cpu ? how many cpu's failed due to that? this condensing of system chipsets has been happening for years.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

plus, all the boards would need to be all the same since the manufacturer won't know what CPU you'll chose and in what configuration

or those will be tiered too, meaning the mobos could be locked to a specific CPU range

Again, already happening in the market. Intel with different chipsets and changing the socket every(or every other) update to the lineup. Amd will just be following the market leader in this already accepted practice.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

neither those other millions of people who though APUs were shit - look were AMD got into for betting on them

this will be round 2

Honestly since reading this forum for around 3 years now, you have never changed, you have always been intel biased, you never mention anything good about AMD, so i suppose it comes to no surprise you downplay anything that AMD might even achieve with.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

this will be round 2

They got a hold on the market, got a opportunity to get big deals to secure a stable income in a time where all they see is dept.

Why do you think all CPU manufactures are going towards APU/SoC? It is not a coincidence, it does have it advancements.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 minutes ago, StainlessSR said:

pcie over gmi link

AMD's GMI - Global Memory Interconnect, extends the coherent fabric between chips on the same multi-chip module (MCM) package

Coherent fabric will speed up the communication in Zen CPUs between the cores and cache, host controllers, eg. USB, SATA or GbE, memory controllers, PSP, timer, counter, ACPI or legacy interface, combo phys and GMI layers

that sounds like an interconnect inside the CPU and not between the CPU and on-board controllers

the voltage regulator (which they are removing with the skylake release) onto their cpu ? how many cpu's failed due to that?

yes, I know about that - dumb move

why do you think they reverted back their design .. eh!?

29 minutes ago, hex4 said:

Typical zMeul being openly loud again, calm down bias, you are uncalled for.

AMD failed with Bulldozer, barely did anything with Zambezi, ZEN is looking to change all that, lower cost motherboards is a plus, it might not be for the mega enthusiast, but look at where AMD has been for a long time now, mid to low tier purchases... FFS cut them a break, they are at least trying to give the consumer a new product that is better than previous unlike Bulldozer who failed to Phenom II's.

40% over Excavator put's it just under Skylake cores, which is very impressive, 8 cores and 16 threads is also highly sexy, call me biased all you want but my XEON was just a cheap stop gap from my old Core i3 first gen and my 580 is old as a wet dog that was buried 19 years ago after the sudden heat wave.

You do understand that Zambezi and Bulldozer are the exact same thing right?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

2 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

You do understand that Zambezi and Bulldozer are the exact same thing right?

Zambezi is the first stepping and Vishera it improved over it, you know exactly what i meant, don't get all pessimist.

that sounds like an interconnect inside the CPU and not between the CPU and on-board controllers

Coherent fabric will speed up the communication in Zen CPUs between the cores and cache, host controllers, eg. USB, SATA or GbE, memory controllers, PSP, timer, counter, ACPI or legacy interface

cores and cache - internal

host controllers, eg. USB, SATA or GbE, memory controllers, PSP, timer, counter, ACPI or legacy interface  - external (to the cpu) interfaces

all will be serviced via the same connection type rather than one type of connection for memory controllers, one type for pcie, one type  for the system clock

10 minutes ago, StainlessSR said:

cores and cache - internal

- external (to the cpu) interfaces

all will be serviced via the same connection type rather than one type of connection for memory controllers, one type for pcie, one type  for the system clock

not according to this old diagram I found:

AMD-Summit-Ridge.jpg?resize=1024%2C481&s

look like AMD will have a chipset (called Promontory) that connects to the CPU via 4 lanes PCIe gen 3

host controllers, eg. USB, SATA or GbE, memory controllers, PSP, timer, counter, ACPI or legacy interface

those controllers exist inside the CPU

I for one love the idea of an integrated chipset

that means you get one board and pop anything on it be it new gen, old gen, APU, CPU, ECC, non-ECC whatever - brilliant!

and we get more space for stuff like beefier VRM

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

not according to this diagram I found:

AMD-Summit-Ridge.jpg?resize=1024%2C481&s

look like AMD will have a chipset (called Promontory) that connects to the CPU via 4 lanes PCIe gen 3

those controllers exist inside the CPU

https://media.riffsy.com/images/1e26441bf03e585738e43ed683f19de6/raw

4 minutes ago, hex4 said:

Zambezi is the next stepping it improved over it, you know exactly what i meant, don't get all pessimist.

from wiki

Bulldozer-based implementations built on 32nm SOI with HKMG arrived in October 2011 for both servers and desktops. The server segment included the dual chip (16-core) Opteron processor codenamed Interlagos (for Socket G34) and single chip (4, 6 or 8 cores) Valencia (for Socket C32), while the Zambezi (4, 6 and 8 cores) targeted desktops on Socket AM3+.[7][8]

Revisions

Piledriver is the AMD codename for its improved second-generation microarchitecture based on Bulldozer. AMD Piledriver cores are found in Socket FM2 Trinity and Richland based series of APUs and CPUs and the Socket AM3+ Vishera based FX-series of CPUs.

Steamroller is the AMD codename for its third-generation microarchitecture based on an improved version of Piledriver. Steamroller cores are found in the Socket FM2+ Kaveri based series of APUs and CPUs.

On 12 October 2011, AMD revealed Excavator to be the codename for the fourth-generation Bulldozer core.[44]Excavator will initially be implemented in the 4th Generation A-series Fusion APU line in 2015. Reports indicate this APU will be codenamed Carrizo.[45]

1 minute ago, StainlessSR said:

I edited way before you quoted, i made a small mistake with names, wow, i guess i'm human afterall o.0

21 minutes ago, hex4 said:

I edited way before you quoted, i made a small mistake with names, wow, i guess i'm human afterall o.0

sorry didn't see your edit. All good tho.

edit: it posted a pic i was using on another reply

that I can't seem to remove.

ahh found it

52 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because I actually wanted ZEN to be competitive, I'm gravely disappointed in this news

as I said in a previous post, I do not like even the existence of a iGP in Intel's CPUs - it is a point of failure and a component I do not have use for

yea sure and i remember you are the person who argued with me saying that amd going down and intel and nvidia becoming a monopoly is a good thing and they wont abuse their monopoly position 

32 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this will be round 2

You make your village elders proud. 

I'm sure AMD will regret the day they crossed zMeul. And those millions of people will choose to follow zMeul. Why? Because he has the best opinions. I'm sure zMeul has already outwitted the best market analysts because after all: who has the best opinions? zMeul - that's who.

This is just like AM1. This means we don't have to change our mobos because of chipset reasons. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

2 hours ago, hex4 said:

Zambezi is the first stepping and Vishera it improved over it, you know exactly what i meant, don't get all pessimist.

Actually, at first I thought "What a fucking moron he thinks Zambezi is something else".

Bulldozer =/= Piledriver as Zambezi =/= Vishera (or however it is spelled).  While Bulldozer and Piledriver are 90% the same and Piledriver is a improvement of Bulldozer, they do not compute data exactly the same way.  They are a physically different part.

Spoiler

When we get chips compare performance but what inherant issue is with an SOC? Realisticly it will be just like a current intel chip where different chips give you a different number of PCIE lanes and thus more stuff you can plug in. As long as the pcie works you can get pretty much anything. I am by no means an expert but unless that is not how it works I don't see a problem. 

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

that's the dumbest shit I ever heard

it basically locks down the user's choice and gets obliged to "chose" only what AMD allows

you thought Intel has expensive CPUs, you just wait

I sometimes wished there was a disagree button, but I feel that it might be abused. So I'll just say I disagree.

I don't think moving the chipset on die, I mean I do agree that they should keep the chipset on the motherboard. I don't think it'll really affect the performance at all or too much whether it be adverse or positive.

Will have to wait and see. 7th Gen mobile APUs are interesting though.

I think the A9, A10, A12 and FX will be pretty decent at least in comparison to ULV Intel CPUs.

It's kind of odd they changed the names...

FX, A12, A10, A9, A6 and E2. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization