Wrong GMaps address led to a wrong house being destroyed

Djole123

An owner of a house in Texas found something rather unusual. He found his house being demolished!

How did this happen? Well, the company that destroyed the house was searching for a house which had something wrong with it on GMaps! Since GMaps aren't quite that accurate, it pointed at a wrong house aaand it got destroyed.

The owner sued that company and it didn't say sorry, instead, they pointed at Google! They also said they will try their best to support rebuilding the house again.

How did they think that was the right house? A part of that house was missing because of a tornado blowing it.

Source:

http://time.com/4270640/google-maps-wrong-house/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I mean, how does the demolition company not take steps to double and triple check that they are destroying the right house?  I would think verifying that you have the right house would be a top priority for them.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

So we learn two things from this:

1) Do not be too reliant on technology to do the job for you (maps, arithmetic calculations, and basic problem-solving)

2) Google Maps is not really as reliable as people are lead to assume.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

their fault, straight from googles ToC for maps:

Actual Conditions; Assumption of Risk. When you use Google Maps/Google Earth's map data, traffic, directions, and other Content, you may find that actual conditions differ from the map results and Content, so exercise your independent judgment and use Google Maps/Google Earth at your own risk. You’re responsible at all times for your conduct and its consequences.

Seriously, how stupid can they be? Especially if I destroy something I tripple check if it's really ok to do so. O.o

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

3 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

So they can't read numbers? Buildingnumber on each house is a normal thing around here. Failarmy please record this one.

Not everywhere. Lots of places are missing house numbers. Luckily the are laws (like here) that are forcing people to have a house number and pay ~$5 for them. A law I can get behind.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Why a demolition company does not take extra precautions ensuring that they are going to  destroy the right adress is beyond me.

I looked at the Google Maps ToS and it states that the service might not be a perfect representation of the real world. They even encourage the use of common sense, which the company in question did not have.

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Not everywhere. Lots of places are missing house numbers. Luckily the are laws (like here) that are forcing people to have a house number and pay ~$5 for them. A law I can get behind.

If there aren't they should go and doublecheck. That's all beyond logic to not do that.

i gave up trusting google maps, i went to south carolina for the first time and it took me two hours to get to my hotel which was less than 30 mins away cause it kept rerouting itself and took me out to the middle of nowhere and i had to stop at a gas station to get directions. all this after a 11 hour flight and being awake for over 24 hours straight. thank you google maps >:(

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

how the fuck someone uses Google Maps to point them to a demolition site - what the actual fuck!

I mean the guy's lucky he didn't take a day off and wasn't home at the time

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Do we rely & blindly trust technology too much these days?  Well here's the answer to it... Yes , Yes we do!

Details separate people.

3 hours ago, Mattyp92 said:

I mean, how does the demolition company not take steps to double and triple check that they are destroying the right house?  I would think verifying that you have the right house would be a top priority for them.

It was probably cheap.

You get what you pay for in anything related to construction. My neighbors learned this the hard way when their cheap 'handy-man' f*cked up their gas lines while they were on vacation. Their house is currently on route to Pluto as part of a followup mission for Horizon.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

That demo company is screwed. They should know where the fuck they have to go in the first place, and even then, they should double check, and EVEN THEN, almost every house in this fucking country has a number plate SOMEWHERE NEAR IT.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wow, they done fckd up. *face desk*

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I just ...  what in the ... w . h . y ??? 

Houses have numbers on them, did nobody see the number and ask?

*facepalm*

:|

*Edit

Rookie: "hey boss, that house number...'

Boss: "shut up rookie"

Rookie: "But the..."

Boss: "What did I just say? get out there and do your job".

Rookie: " But the house number it not right!"

Boss "How many times to do I need to say it? Shut up and get. I have the Google coordinates right here and this is were do the job. Why are you questioning my ability to read Rookie...?"

Rookie "fine"

Boss *looks at fellow team boss's* "G** D*** kid thinks he knows more than I do after 2 days on the job. . . . idiot" *all laughs as rookie walks away*

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Google maps has always been randomly unreliable for me (crashing, crazy route instructions, ...). If your going to demolish something get the city GIS maps with official lot zone information and double check before tearing down a property. Google's systems are almost always in beta testing levels of bugs and data glitches.

18 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

Google maps has always been randomly unreliable for me (crashing, crazy route instructions, ...). If your going to demolish something get the city GIS maps with official lot zone information and double check before tearing down a property. Google's systems are almost always in beta testing levels of bugs and data glitches.

Exactly, GIS maps are public domain and with that free access.

The court better rule in favor of the home owner.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

omg this is so stupid. This is why you verify things on the ground first before you just do them. You cant rely on a single source. What kind of idiots run this joint?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1