Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

Djole123

So, a couple of months ago, I downloaded a Windows 1.01 IMG File. I was playing with it in virtual machine. Nothing special.

But, I was tweaking with EasyBCD and found an option to boot natively to an IMG. So, I throwed the Windows 1.0 IMG, saved, restarted and KABOOM! Windows 1.0 natively running on a 32-bit machine. I was playing Reversi, doing Notepad and stuff, all in this 1985 OS. 

It ran quite good, but it was unstable. Colors were fuzzy, some apps crashed, but it was a fun experience.

Don't try this at your computer.

Especially not at iMacs.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

THIS IS AWESOME!!! 

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

On 2/3/2016 at 11:06 PM, Strando123 said:

THIS IS AWESOME!!! 

Here are some pictures I was able to recover:

Screenshot_2016-02-06-16-45-36.thumb.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-16-45-46.thumb.png

Screenshot_2016-02-06-16-49-55.thumb.png

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 03/02/2016 at 4:06 PM, Djole123 said:

So, a couple of months ago, I downloaded a Windows 1.01 IMG File. I was playing with it in virtual machine. Nothing special.

But, I was tweaking with EasyBCD and found an option to boot natively to an IMG. So, I throwed the Windows 1.0 IMG, saved, restarted and KABOOM! Windows 1.0 natively running on a 32-bit machine. I was playing Reversi, doing Notepad and stuff, all in this 1985 OS. 

It ran quite good, but it was unstable. Colors were fuzzy, some apps crashed, but it was a fun experience.

Don't try this at your computer.

Especially not at iMacs.

Can you tell me where you got the .img?

Thanks,

-Bob

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

15 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

Can you tell me where you got the .img?

Thanks,

-Bob

Here you go:

Djole123 shared: "win101.img": http://1drv.ms/20mK4nR

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Here you go:

Djole123 shared: "win101.img": http://1drv.ms/20mK4nR

Thank you so much! Lol I've been looking for old crappy oses to run due to my present computer power.

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

7 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

Thank you so much! Lol I've been looking for old crappy oses to run due to my present computer power.

You're welcome, but remember, one wrong step and you can say goodbye to your current Windows.

BTW Why don't you try Linux? It is much easier to do than messing with MBR. And if you really want to stick with Windows, why don't you try Windows NT4 or Windows 2000? They are rock solid as hell

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh, I have been trying tons of OSes. In Linux I usually use Kali, as I find it's the most useful of them all. I just wanted the windows thing because I would like to run it on a PC with:

Some Pentium Chip (old)

Newly upgraded to have 1 gig of ram (used to have 512 MB)...

Essentially a crappy Windows XP computer I use for messing around with. (Did I mention the computer has a parallel port?)

15 hours ago, Djole123 said:

You're welcome, but remember, one wrong step and you can say goodbye to your current Windows.

BTW Why don't you try Linux? It is much easier to do than messing with MBR. And if you really want to stick with Windows, why don't you try Windows NT4 or Windows 2000? They are rock solid as hell

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Well anyways, thank you for the OS once again.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2016 at 1:26 PM, bob51zhang said:

Oh, I have been trying tons of OSes. In Linux I usually use Kali, as I find it's the most useful of them all. I just wanted the windows thing because I would like to run it on a PC with:

Some Pentium Chip (old)

Newly upgraded to have 1 gig of ram (used to have 512 MB)...

Essentially a crappy Windows XP computer I use for messing around with. (Did I mention the computer has a parallel port?)

Be careful with Kali, you can make a lot of people really unhappy with you real quick if you're not careful.

I only have it for my PenTest lab, and it doesn't get out of there.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

• 1 month later...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)