You want a longer lasting phone battery? Too bad.

vanished

D90.jpg?6461

(note: "product" depicted not related to article - for illustration purposes only)

Warning: This may be a depressing or angering read for those of you who would gladly trade thinness for battery life.

The reasons for [having short run-time batteries] are myriad, but in short, a phone's battery life is only one concern that must be balanced against several others, including shape, size and available features. When it comes down to a battery lasting more than a day versus functional and aesthetic constraints, battery life often falls down the priority list.

Oh, you didn't like that?  Here's some more :P

"I think people want thinner phones, and they're not going to be willing to make that compromise and purchase a phone that's maybe half a centimetre thicker," said Patrick O'Rourke, who reviews phones and gadgets at the tech site MobileSyrup.

I'm not sure who they're surveying for those results, but it seems to be in exact and complete opposition to what we all read and hear around the forums and on the WAN show - people absolutely would accept a phone that's half a centimeter thicker in exchange for multi-day battery life!

At least we know why phone makers continue to ignore us - apparently they're being fed polar opposite opinions from somewhere.  By the sounds of it, they're less factual studies and more just the intuition of reviewers, however.

They did raise some valid points in the article about why there are actual physical limitations to run time - some things like intense gaming and GPS use, etc. will simply drain more power than can be fit in a reasonable sized product - but the extent to which I believe they are misreading the market is certainly not helping the issue.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/smartphone-lithium-battery-life-tips-1.3495585

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

My phone is what I'd consider thin. Thin enough to fit in my pocket comfortably, and thick enough to hold in my hands. It has a 2920mAh battery that lasts all day and more. I wouldn't want a thinner phone and I don't want my battery to last less than this one.

Damn.

I used to be quite active here.

I will happily take a thick phone with 5000mah.  If it's not thick, what is the point?  That could be taken in a number of ways...

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

Bruh... WTF

Everybody I ask IRL that question they always want more battery

I really want to know what's the source of people wanting paper-thin phones =/

Exactly.  That's why this article was so shocking... someone really need to get the message across to these companies!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm going to play devils advocate here, but he's right. I mean I'm all for better battery life. But I'm not willing to carry around a huge brick of a phone to get it, especially since I'd have to run a case which makes it even thicker.

The max I'd accept is around 10mm. Not 16mm+. Back in the day when the phones were small it was fine, but not with the behemoths they're coming out with now.

There are other ways to get better battery life. There's screen tech that will double what we currently have. Look what Samsung did with the S7 Edge. Slightly thicker, much larger battery.

I think universal, fast wireless charging is a better way to go. If I could charge the battery in a few minutes while I wait in line for coffee, for instance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

well... lets just say that if that wasnt a -probably- 18650 cell, but a flatpack, that'd have made the device maybe 2-3mm thicker.

oh, and i should add, thats boosting 3.7 volts to 5 volt usb, only to be converted back down to keep the internal battery charged. (where most of the power goes to, that thing is absolutely toast. i'll be soldering in a new one soon-ish.)

EDIT: @dizmo we dont need 2cm thick phones, we need to stick to the thickness we have now -- one we can actually still hold, and just keep filling it with battery.

This isn't news. We all saw this coming years ago.

Until people stop buying their products to make the point clear, they will continue to ignore the consumers and do what they want.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

This is why my Nexus 6P is a perfect size for me, it's decently thin, but has a 3450Mah battery. Maybe that capacity will double with graphene batteries.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

aint buying no phone with less then 2750mAh battery.

Just dont care how efficient the phone is. Ive seen them make slim phones with 3000+mAh batteries, so i have to draw a line somewhere.

LG G4 is the phone for you. Haha. Thin and has interchangeable 3000Mah battery. Its the phone I have and the phone I will be keeping for the for see able future. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, yorkiesandskittles said:

"I think people want thinner phones,"

Key phrase being "I think."

Exactly - where they are getting this nonsense I have no idea.  I'm with the rest of you that I'd like more battery life even if it is a little thicker

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

LG G4 is the phone for you. Haha. Thin and has interchangeable 3000Mah battery. Its the phone I have and the phone I will be keeping for the for see able future. 

i got a Sony Xperia Z2

3200mAh battery. Sure it cannot change it, but even with 8 hours a day on spotify + browsing each day, it still lasts 2-3 days between the charges. I bought it 3 years ago.

Just now, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Same here , the only way to actually change the market is to "vote with out wallets" , but thats just the problem the majority of people who own lets say Apple devices don't actually buy them for the legitimate reason but simply cause "look at me , I have a fucking iphone"  and they will buy regardless :( 

And it can be difficult to vote with our wallets if all the options are pretty much the same.  There would need to be a strong enough trend of people buying more of phones with big batteries and less of phones with small batteries for it to have an effect, and that can't happen if there isn't a really good long lasting phone to "vote for"

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And it can be difficult to vote with our wallets if all the options are pretty much the same.  There would need to be a strong enough trend of people buying more of phones with big batteries and less of phones with small batteries for it to have an effect, and that can't happen if there isn't a really good long lasting phone to "vote for"

all you need to do is systematically buy Sony Xperia phones (most of them has around 2700-3200mAh batteries.)

Just now, Prysin said:

all you need to do is systematically buy Sony Xperia phones (most of them has around 2700-3200mAh batteries.)

Still it could be more.  How long until someone tries a 4000 mAh?  Everyone: promise to all buy that en masse when if comes out :P

It seems to me that companies are trying to get more money out of consumers, like additional accessory(advertised for user convenience) while I do appreciate wireless charging, I'm hating the trend. They're forcing us to charge a lot, if not carry around a bulky battery bank.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Still it could be more.  How long until someone tries a 4000 mAh?  Everyone: promise to all buy that en masse when if comes out :P

there is a phone with 10000mAh battery on the market already :P

It even has firmware allowing it to act as a powerbank.

1 minute ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Motorola's been making phones with big batteries for quite a while now.

X Force , X play , Moto Maxx all phones with giant batteries compared to the competition. 

Has something else held them back from completely dominating the market?  Lack luster specs?  Locked to certain carriers?  (idk honestly much about the options out there)

Actually I'm expecting the S7 to set the ground for battery. Hopefully other manufacturers will follow footstep and *finger crossed* battery life improvement will be the next aspect in the tech race like how screen resolution and camera are