You want a longer lasting phone battery? Too bad.

vanished
2 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

I believe its the "meh" camera software and lack of popularity.  The specs are pretty much the standard , that being high-end snapdragons and lots of ram. The only reasons I didn't get an X-force was because it was 2 times the price of a g4 , sadness. 

See that's always the problem.  It's not as simple as everyone just buying the biggest battery phone.  Sure we care, but the article is somewhat right - it's not the only thing that matters.  The flagships need to offer thicker versions - they're already doing multiple screen sizes, why not multiple thicknesses?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

28 minutes ago, Prysin said:

aint buying no phone with less then 2750mAh battery.

Just dont care how efficient the phone is. Ive seen them make slim phones with 3000+mAh batteries, so i have to draw a line somewhere.

Ah yes, that's why I have my z3 compact, on stamina mode, I easily get 2 whole days out of one charge (3G always on...no 4G as three's 3G is faster than basically all 4G signals in Edinburgh...)...oh wait, never mind, it has a 2.6k mAh battery :D, even with no stamina mode, it still lasts a nice 1 and a half days

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

The Oukitel K10000 wants to disagree :p. All we need, is some sort of genius chinese manufacturer, that actually wants to invest heavily on this -.-, but all of them seem busy trying to make "high quality" build phones with mediatek components.... Cmon, not even OnePlus tries to make theyr phones battery enormous.

Groomlake Authority

Now wait a minute! A few centimeters makes a huge difference. Do you think I want a damn brick that's 1.5 cm thick!?!?!? GTFO! Give me my paper-thin phones and fuck this longer battery life nonsense! /s 

But for real, what stupid attention grabber is this?? Who did he survey?? The thinness of a phone isn't even in my top 10 features for a good phone. Sure, screen sides plays a part. But, unless it's 4 inches thick, I don't care how fat it is, as long as it doesn't die half way through the day...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

What? They made the bloody new Blackberry Prix with a 3410 mah battery. And that thing is thin as well.

I think companies are just lazy.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

-snip-

Ol Tim gotta cook.

Groomlake Authority

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah yes, that's why I have my z3 compact, on stamina mode, I easily get 2 whole days out of one charge (3G always on...no 4G as three's 3G is faster than basically all 4G signals in Edinburgh...)...oh wait, never mind, it has a 2.6k mAh battery :D, even with no stamina mode, it still lasts a nice 1 and a half days

thats why i like Sony. They understand two things: how to preserve power, and not to skimp on the battery.

As long as the phone isn't more than 1cm thick, I'm perfectly fine with it being "thicker"...

When I was shopping for a phone, I first looked at the size of it, anything bigger than 4.5" was out, because at that point I might as well get a tablet.
And the second thing I looked at, was battery life. Because that's the single most important aspect in a phone to me, way beyond OS, features and what not. A smartphone that doesn't even last a day and might possibly be dead when I need it the most, is useless.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I think Sony have found the solution.

I have an Xperia M4. The battery lasts me several days and it is less than £200 in some places. The solution is a software solution to conserving power as opposed to a physically larger battery. Phones unecessarily use power for irrelevant tasks when you're not using them. So when my phone is in standby, only critical tasks are processed. But if you want to whitelist an app, you can do that to constantly get updates.

But yes I definitely agree, thin phones are stupid and battery life is most important.

I'm not talking about third party apps, I don't use third party apps for power conservation.

I guess this is why more "enthusiast-friendly" companies like oneplus exist ....

But i really wouldn't mind a thicker phone , if that means better battery life , cooling ( my phone thermal throttles when charging , AND also almost always in summer ) and more powerful internals (maybe ? With a bigger battery )

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, Alir said:

I think Sony have found the solution.

I have an Xperia M4. The battery lasts me several days and it is less than £200 in some places. The solution is a software solution to conserving power as opposed to a physically larger battery. Phones unecessarily use power for irrelevant tasks when you're not using them. So when my phone is in standby, only critical tasks are processed. But if you want to whitelist an app, you can do that to constantly get updates.

But yes I definitely agree, thin phones are stupid and battery life is most important.

yeah, even samsung aint got shit on Sonys "Stamina mode".... Ive tried to test how long a samsung device can actually last on "power saving"... and its not nearly as long as the phone say it can.

1 hour ago, Arokhantos said:

They want thinner phones so you break it and buy a new one, they want crappy batteries so it pisses you off and you buy a new one, they want slower laggy phones after a year so you want faster one and buy a new one, they don't wanna update phones so you have to buy a new one.

I'm sure some one can add more reasons, anyway it pisses me off greatly to its more the attitude of smartphone companies these day's really it improves and degrades all the time for a reason.

Capitalism is wonderful (for the people selling the stuff, that is)

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

53 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Motorola's been making phones with big batteries for quite a while now.

X Force , X play , Moto Maxx all phones with giant batteries compared to the competition. 

My Motorola doesnt have X Force, X Play, or Moto Maxx. Although I am running a custom ROM so meh.

Battery still lasts all day though so -thumbs up-

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

This is why I love my Moga Power Pro. Not only do I have a controller to circumvent shitty touchscreen controls while I'm gaming, it also doubles as a "make my phone's battery life not shit" device as well!

I have an alternate theory: Planned obsolescence. We all know battery performance degrades over time. A bigger battery not only last longer but can resist this deterioration for a lot longer making the phone less useful but functional years down the line whereas a smaller batter makes an already annoying to use device virtually unusable later down the line with worst battery performance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

For me, I just want a phone that will last me through the day with enough battery life not to make me uncomfortable. So basically if after a long day I still have 30%, I'm a happy camper. But no, I will not trade 1/2 mm of thickness if it means I have 5% less battery at the end of the day. As long as my phone can last through any day I'm fine, and as long as that is the case I don't care how thin it is, but if no, then I definitely would trade a little thinness for a bigger battery.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Normal work day my one plus last me easily landing me at 60% at the end of the day.

Heavy use day, I sure need that powerbank I got from them cause I can run my phone dry twice.

Frankly perhaps I should just get the old nokia's from the drawer and forget this smartphone stuff until they can make something proper. The only thing I would really miss would be my deezer for music streaming.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

34 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I have an alternate theory: Planned obsolescence. We all know battery performance degrades over time. A bigger battery not only last longer but can resist this deterioration for a lot longer making the phone less useful but functional years down the line whereas a smaller batter makes an already annoying to use device virtually unusable later down the line with worst battery performance.

Phone manufacturers love their planned obsolescence. I like how on top of mediocre battery life they incorporate more battery sucking features into newer devices like more powerful SOC's and higher resolution displays.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

how else will they sell you a new phone every couple years!, its thier way of putting an internal clock and when the device dies. 

I like thin phones too, but if this means that it will need to be charged twice a day, no thanks. Sweet spot for thickness is like 6-8 mm, for screen  size 4.8-5.2 inches, without big bezels like sony has :P

Actually we still can improve battery life by making more efficient RAM, CPU, GPU. We do not need that kind of power todays flagships have. If their screen was 1080p, there would not be the need for faster CPUs and GPUs. If S7 had 1080p screen It would have been  more efficient. Also bloatware that comes with samsungs, sonys, LGs and others phones eats up battery. HTC does really good job at it. It's sense UI is pretty much fast and efficient.

And battery.... We need new battery technology! That keeps more juice in it, lasts longer (i mean charge cycles) and charges faster.

I miss my nokia, i had to charge it once a week :(

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

The very small fringe group that is us, people who love tech, would gladly make the trade. Most other people however will go for thin.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W