John "TB" Bain says cancer is reappearing

Michael McAllister

Well, I don't know if there is really a right way to tell people this, so I guess here goes. The CT did not come back negative. The cancer in the bowel is gone, but spots have appeared in my liver. They're not operable and there's no cure. Average life expectancy is 2-3 years, though there are outliers that live much longer. I'll be back on chemo in a few weeks, with the goal of pushing it back and keeping it there for as long as possible. I fully intend to be the outlier, the average is this way because most people that get this are old and not strong anymore. Who knows what they'll come up with in the next decade? I intend to beat it for as long as possible. Gonna need some time to process all of this. I don't really feel anything right now. Thanks.

http://tl.gd/n_1snlj3r

Even though many of us PC gamers may not know him personally, he has been a tremendous positive force as a person and PC advocate.  I hope he is able to pull through as long as possible.

EDIT - 10/17/15

Since the diagnosis we've learned about a lot of promising treatments for this specific set of circumstances. Hearing "yeah the average life expectancy is 2-3 years" from your doctor is like a bombshell going off in your mind. There's a reason why people ask you to sit down before giving you bad news, it's burned into my brain, all the strength disappearing from my limbs, the feeling of having your lifes plans, hopes and dreams shatter in an instant all at once. But you get over it and you prepare for another battle, start to investigate all the options you have, put your faith in science and do everything you can both in terms of personal willpower and your bodies fitness to help those professionals give you the best treatment possible. 10 years ago this would be a swift death sentence, but that's not true anymore and there are plenty of things that can be tried to beat it back and keep beating it back. It'll get me eventually, but isn't that true for everyone? Something's gonna get you eventually. If I have anything to say about it it'll be something else at a grand old age. When I eventually do go out, it'll be like this - http://imgur.com/et0FNxj

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snm0l8

Edited by Michael McAllister
Fixed for night theme users

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Fuck Cancer. Enough said.

He can't go like this. Damn this sucks

Edited by Alexp10v2

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

:(

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

This is extremely depressing, there's no other way to put it :(

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

He can't go down like this. ):

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Fucking hell... :/ I refuse to believe this

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Aw man... Just when he was beating the first one, now there's another one that's creeping up...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Please don't go

giphy.gif

that sucks for his family, lets hope he can keep it up for as long as posible

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Genuinely surprised at how upsetting this news is to me personally. Hope and pray that he can hang on long enough that some better treatment comes up to cure it.

I realize we are clutching at straws but if it's only in the liver why can't he get a transplant? Anybody with medical knowledge? Is it pointless as in the cancer has already metastised?

Genuinely surprised at how upsetting this news is to me personally. Hope and pray that he can hang on long enough that some better treatment comes up to cure it.

I realize we are clutching at straws but if it's only in the liver why can't he get a transplant? Anybody with medical knowledge? Is it pointless as in the cancer has already metastised?

You would think that could be possible.  Apparently if the cancer is free in the body and outside the liver--it won't matter, but if it is trapped only to the liver - it should be possible, but not sure.

All in all this is a heartbreaking event.

I'm worried about Genna and their son as well.  TB is everything to them and also what supports them in life.  It'll be a struggle if they end up losing him not only emotionally but financially.  It's sure to bring a lot of doubt, worry, and fear.  I really hope he lives to his later life or doctors can just nuke him with chemo and radiation and replace his liver somehow.  :/

FUCK CANCER AND ALL THOSE SHITTY DISEASES. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Apparently if I'm worried about Genna and their son as well. TB is everything to them and also what supports them in life. It'll be a struggle if they end up losing him not only emotionally but financially.

Financially think they will be ok. They have friends and family, not sure about life insurance and other welfare. If necessary even we will look after them. By we I mean the PC gaming community. But you can't replace a person..

A friend of mine died of leukemia last week. Fuck cancer.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Really sad to hear this, wish him everything the best and I hope he'll recover. He says not operable. Does that include a transplant or just removing the spots from his lover? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It's very difficult to describe how sad this makes me. He's a person dedicated to what he does and loves what he does. It's not fair. It never is. As somebody who recently lost a family member to cancer, I can certainly sympathize with him. Fuck cancer. TB will fight it and come back twice as strong. We're all rooting and praying for you buddy!

COMIC SANS

Very sad news.

Couldn't they try a liver transplant? I really hope he survives.

thats actually a good idea

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com