Steam users now have to spend $5 worth in purchases before they can add friends

Nowak

Smart move from Steam. That might actually help with bot problem that many steam users have. 

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

im actually glad that this is a thing. Everyday i would get 2 invites from a phishing bot, and it gets annoying as hell. I block them all but they keep coming. 

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

Hmm, good point. I guess they could contact Steam Support, because that is so good?

That's what I was interested in. Whether or not you can contact support to get around this, if you are FTP only.

I can imagine the social-network standard, photo ID scan would be requested.

I think this is fine.

i only steam for free to play game Ghost recon phantom, i've never bought anything from steam, what is my fate then ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Does this include the worth of game keys you've put into steam or not?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

@TheSLSAMG 

CD Keys, retail purchases, and gifts do not remove limited user restrictions. See How do I gain access to these features

Pretty shitty of them if you ask me, i can never buy anything in India on steam as it never accepts debit card, all the games i own on steam are from CD keys(Batman arkham Asylum) and Assassin's Creed (Bought from G2A as gifts) and retail (Arkham city) and F2P games, so according to steam, entire India will have to face limited accessibility from steam because of this shitty implement. was just starting to like steam. i'm real upset on this one.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

buy $5 steam wallet, problem solved

you don't have to spend it for games, it could be items from dota store or CS GO store

it also unlock marketplace, and this term only for new user.

I can add friends for free on my Xbox Live basic account. What the fuck Valve? 

Is it too hard to add more advanced captchas, user responses or even phone # verification to make a new account? Really? This is the solution? To make someone pay for basic features if all they want to do is play a F2P game with friends? 

LOL. The GabeN Mustard Race will defend this either way. 

I am glad they are doing this I am tired of these stupid bots

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

ummm im actually kind of saddened by this... I have over 60 games and they were all bought from outside sources (G2A, Humble bundle, etc.) 

Will I now have to spend $5 in the steam store in order to have a friends list??? imo they should automatically allow people who have games that are >free bought from outside sources to count for at least 50% of their known value or something...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I can add friends for free on my Xbox Live basic account. What the fuck Valve? 

Is it too hard to add more advanced captchas, user responses or even phone # verification to make a new account? Really? This is the solution? To make someone pay for basic features if all they want to do is play a F2P game with friends? 

LOL. The GabeN Mustard Race will defend this either way. 

Well hey, at least they're doing something against all the phishing bots instead of sitting there just like "Yeah it's not a problem", like what they've been doing up until now.

I don't mind it if it will noticeably reduce the amount of phishing and fraud, largely because I have vouchers to spend on the steam store, but I can see a number of issues with it, especially with those who buy games from outside sources or only play F2P games. It's a step in the right direction, but it's still a long way from being the clear cut answer.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

It's to prevent scambots from doing their thing.

The files are usually disguised .scr files.

I've never had steam bots trying to add me on steam...

I've never had steam bots trying to add me on steam...

Not experiencing the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Look at all the people in this thread saying "I hope this reduces the bot invites I get on Steam." I've gotten a few invites myself and don't have a very valuable backpack.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

Say what you will about this, but they are actually taking a stride to really protect their users from phishing bots. Yeah, $5 seems a bit steep to remove these restrictions upon new accounts, but it's Steam. It's easy to meet that quota. Again, hopefully this helps protect us from phishing bots, which are a huge problem on Steam now.

All of the steam fanboys are like "its a good thing" Hahahahahahaha. What about people who cant afford games?. Or people who just play free to play games like dota and star trek online.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

They should add that it CANT BE CS:GO.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

All of the steam fanboys are like "its a good thing" Hahahahahahaha. What about people who cant afford games?. Or people who just play free to play games like dota and star trek online.

Like not being able to afford games on Steam is really a problem.

If a had a dollar for everytime a bot tried to add me to scam my csgo skins...

Easy, dont add them and even if you do just don't trade to them.

Easy, dont add them and even if you do just don't trade to them.

I dont, I just block them instantly

Just to clarify: "limited" accounts CAN STILL ACCEPT FRIEND INVITES SENT TO THEM. You just can't send them. You can also use the client chat just fine.

That's not so bad. Limiting all of social would be disastrous for Steam: most new members only join because they have that friend who introduces them.

iirc £5 is about what I paid for Watch Dogs. I paid £7 for Thief. I dunno, I don't think spending £5 in a store in order to get full functionality out of their free services is too much to ask. McDonalds ask for more to use their toilets tbh.

Well, in the last few months. I had multiple dipshits try to do that link fishing thing.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

I get a lot of free games. But i use all those features like very heavily. But what  Idon't get is why they don't allow sending friend requests. That's honestly bullshit.

You're serious?

You have not spent a dime on steam in your life and you're saying that Valve implementing a system to cut down on phishing and spamming users is a bad thing? Seriously **** off dude. If you haven't given Valve any money you have no right to criticize the free service you're using. 

It's $5. If you can't afford $5 what the hell are you doing on this website. As I said in my above post, if you haven't spent any money on Steam you have no right to complain about it. 

You're serious?

You have not spent a dime on steam in your life and you're saying that Valve implementing a system to cut down on phishing and spamming users is a bad thing? Seriously **** off dude. If you haven't given Valve any money you have no right to criticize the free service you're using. 

You are not the center of this world, you have to understand others problems other than your own for once, it's the internet here, also, you don't have to be a dick about it when replying to others, there's a reason Code of conduct exists, read it 

on topic 

i have bought games physically which i have added on steam and bought games as steam gift from 3rd party vendors as steam doesn't accept debit card, and purchased games in retail, so according to steam

CD Keys, retail purchases, and gifts do not remove limited user restrictions. See How do I gain access to these features

so even thought i have my games legit in steam, i'm now a limited user who can't even add friends.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker