The 24h2 update will put on Bitlocker as default on reinstalls? And maybe even on those updating to 24h2?

I've read some articles and seen some youtube reports that the next big update, 24h2, will make Bitlock enabled by default.

Some reports it's only affecting those that do a clean install or reinstall of Windows with that version. It will not affect those that has an earlier Windows 11 installed and just updating it.

However others have claimed that it could put Bitlocker on also for those just updating to 24h2.

It will also sadly affect Home versions.

This could be a problem for those not expecting it. Those that doesn't know if it has been suddenly enabled and doesn't have written down any Bitlocker key.

Bitlocker can also reduce drive performance quite alot.

I think if Bitlocker gets enabled by default, without telling the user about it, without giving the user option to disable it during the install, then it's almost like a Ransomware!

If Bitlocker gets enabled even on current Windows 11 updating to 24h2 it's like a Ransomware!

I've also read that it's possible it'll make it harder to clean install Windows 11 24h2 with popular tweaks and registry hacks, like that Rufus thing.

10 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

It will also sadly affect Home versions.

That seems unlikely. Bitlocker isn't available on home edition. Do you have a source?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

41 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That seems unlikely. Bitlocker isn't available on home edition. Do you have a source?

https://www.windowslatest.com/2024/05/08/microsoft-confirms-windows-11-24h2-turns-on-device-encryption-by-default/

"Device Encryption will be enabled by default when you first set up a Windows 11 PC with Pro and Home editions. In addition, Microsoft will enforce an automatic Device Encryption setup after resetting your PC."

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-may-default-encrypt-your-data-with-bitlocker-on-windows-11-24h2-home-pcs-too/

https://www.neowin.net/guides/how-to-prevent-windows-11-from-encrypting-your-disks-during-installation/

Home users shouldn't have Bitlocker I know that.

But it could be applied by the device manufacturer in UEFI settings. So I guess prebuilts and laptops with Home edition can get this. Custom built pc I don't know really.

9 hours ago, Mumintroll said:

I think if Bitlocker gets enabled by default, without telling the user about it

Why do you think it would not tell the user about it? Some laptops have come with it enabled by default for quite a while, it tells you everything you need to know/do.

Also the recovery key is saved in the users' MS account, and since an MS account has been mandatory for quite a while now it should not be an issue. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

55 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Why do you think it would not tell the user about it? Some laptops have come with it enabled by default for quite a while, it tells you everything you need to know/do.

Also the recovery key is saved in the users' MS account, and since an MS account has been mandatory for quite a while now it should not be an issue. 

Oh but why don't you take your time to read the articles I linked?

In one it mentions that it encrypts the drives in the background during the installation, and even in Home version. Nothing is mentioned during the installation.

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

so just another way to force people into Microsoft accounts.  got it. this is afaik illegal in the European Union btw.  <-- it doesn't seem to be enforced right now but i don't think gatekeepers such as MICROSOFT are actually allowed to force user to make an account in order to use their products?  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

so just another way to force people into Microsoft accounts.  got it. this is afaik illegal in the European Union btw.  <-- it doesn't seem to be enforced right now but i don't think gatekeepers such as MICROSOFT are actually allowed to force user to make an account in order to use their products?  

The real harm will be users not knowing that Bitlocker gets enabled and starts to encrypt the drives in the background, without the user getting informed of it, during the installation. Even on Home editions where people don't expect it to even be an option.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-may-default-encrypt-your-data-with-bitlocker-on-windows-11-24h2-home-pcs-too/

If not properly informed then something like a bios update will be an unpleasent surprise for them.

Now I do hope Rufus will continue to work, or if not will get updated to work for 24h2.

The next thing to worry about is if existing Win 11 that just updates to 24h2 through the usual Windows update will get it switched on.

There are conflicting sources here and there, where some mention it's only clean installs and reinstalls that get affected, but others say it might affect those updating aswell (can't remember that source sorry). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yes I prefer to log on locally. I did login to Micropoff account once to synch stuff but then I logged off.

I miss Windows 7.

kind of off topic but i get why Microsoft wants people to login using an account but i have never see the point, i will never not use a local account if the only reason Microsoft has to try and sell me on signing in is that it will back up files then not isn't something for me. 

I have my own storage servers so keeping files backed up online does nothing for me.

I saw Microsoft trying to use that as a selling point for using an account not local accounts. 

The only time i was interested in using bitlocker it said to backup the recovery to Microsoft as far as I'm concerned if I'm encrypting my drives i don't want the recovery file saved in the cloud and again i get why but no no no HELL NO.

All i do on my gaming computer is play games its the only computer i have windows installed on and i will not be downgrading to Windows 11 and when windows 10 hits EOL i guess i just wont have "security" updates from Microsoft what a bumber LOL