Steam users now have to spend $5 worth in purchases before they can add friends

Nowak

so even thought i have my games legit in steam, i'm now a limited user who can't even add friends.

Let's test this. Try adding me on Steam, my profile is here.

is it already implemented ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

is it already implemented ? 

I dunno, but let's try this anyway.

I dunno, but let's try this anyway.

i can add you as of now 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

i can add you as of now 

Yup, got the notification.

Like not being able to afford games on Steam is really a problem.

Yes, it is a problem. People cant afford even $5. IT may seem stupid but it is true. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I can forget about the chat feature,my whole life i never spend a penny on steam,all my games are from giveaways....

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

As a TF2, I can't agree with this...

Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions

I can't post anything for the moment, am I the only one?

EDIT:

"Your account does not meet the requirements to use this feature. Visit Steam Support for more information."

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

This is terrible! I know people that don't buy/play games but they use steam to talk to friends that do buy games on steam. VALVE CHANGE THIS! It's stupid!

This is the main problem of this.

I know people that dont even game but use steam to keep in contact with me while i am gaming.

So stupid lol.

This is the main problem of this.

I know people that dont even game but use steam to keep in contact with me while i am gaming.

So stupid lol.

It's $5. If you don't have $5 to spend on Steam in some capacity don't complain about the otherwise free service you are using. To the people complaining about games bought in stores, why should Steam let you use their service for free? 

hmmm doesn't stop our csgo smurfs.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's $5. If you don't have $5 to spend on Steam in some capacity don't complain about the otherwise free service you are using. To the people complaining about games bought in stores, why should Steam let you use their service for free? 

The ultimate hypocrisy in you saying that. 

Why should MS/Sony let you use their service for free either then? Huh? 

Fuck logic, am I right? 

The ultimate hypocrisy in you saying that. 

Why should MS/Sony let you use their service for free either then? Huh? 

Fuck logic, am I right? 

What are you talking about? You pay for it in Sony and MS's case. In steams case its a one time payment of $5 to use all their services. And that $5 can be used on anything as far as I know including games. With MS and Sony you are paying $50 a year on the service alone. 

Steam is making it so you have to pay $5 somewhere on the Steam store. How the hell is this "bullshit" or "unwarranted". It's an otherwise free service. If you haven't spent a dollar on Steam you have no right to complain. You're getting this for free. 

Kind of sucks for f2p only players, but frankly anyone can pay 5 bucks if they could afford a computer to begin with, even a bad one... at least it's not a straight up fee, you choose a cheap game you want and that's that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

so why did they lock levels and cards....

IMO steam implemented this restriction solely to cut back on phishers (spam accounts with the intent of stealing information/accounts). As it stands right now, I (and MANY) traders automatically block all lvl 0 accounts since 99.9999% of the time it's someone who's going to spam me a link to a fake site, or to a .rar to download to try and gain access to my account. 

Plus, it also wasn't particularly uncommon for someone to make a ton of alts in order to harvest cards -- which they would then sell for money. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

buy $5 wallet, buy 2 keys sell it with cash only, or buy discount games, sell it for half price years later, you probably make profit.

there millions of smurf accounts, and probably more with bots, I don't get it, you are using free service, and still able to play.

Valve should do this from beginning.

point like Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items

we get more and more crappy games, ever wonder why? maybe that developer make 100000 accounts and vote it by themself.

what are you worrying is irrelevant especially if u are buying games (from steam or 3rd party)

No seriously... if you never get like this daily, you wouldn't understand. (if you ask why, because people buy games, and phisher target mostly paying user).

083975511f.png

this is real, daily.

again steam is on COMPUTER not consoles, use skype, yahoo, hangout, irc, teamspeak whatever you prefer, there are tons of option "for chat", you still able to use in-game voice chat.

and what games you play if you don't buy games anyway? DOTA2? chat still enabled in-game, voice chat? no restriction unless someone mute you. TF2? same thing.

Planetside? this game isn't even made by Valve, and steam isn't required to run this game. Most F2P MMO in steam which not made by valve and you can play it without steam, don't like it don't use it.

if the excuse only convenience for you then we will always going to deal with bots and phisher.

What are you talking about? You pay for it in Sony and MS's case. In steams case its a one time payment of $5 to use all their services. And that $5 can be used on anything as far as I know including games. With MS and Sony you are paying $50 a year on the service alone. 

Steam is making it so you have to pay $5 somewhere on the Steam store. How the hell is this "bullshit" or "unwarranted". It's an otherwise free service. If you haven't spent a dollar on Steam you have no right to complain. You're getting this for free. 

So then what about those who only use Steam for free-to-play games like DOTA2 or TF2? What about those who avoid micro-transactions like the plague? Should their privileges be revoked just because they are not using it the way they never wanted to in the first place?

$5 may look small, but it still puts a good portion of PC gamers in an uneasy situation. Please keep in mind here that these people are not avoiding payment out of cheapness or lack of funds, but rather out of principle. It is something many of us take for granted, but there are actually people out there that refuse to spend a single dime on online transactions, including some of those who follow the "it is just bits over the net" philosophy. 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

So then what about those who only use Steam for free-to-play games like DOTA2 or TF2? What about those who avoid micro-transactions like the plague? Should their privileges be revoked just because they are not using it the way they never wanted to in the first place?

$5 may look small, but it still puts a good portion of PC gamers in an uneasy situation. Please keep in mind here that these people are not avoiding payment out of cheapness or lack of funds, but rather out of principle. It is something many of us take for granted, but there are actually people out there that refuse to spend a single dime on online transactions, including some of those who follow the "it is just bits over the net" philosophy. 

I am saying those people who are playing free to play games can continue to play those games free of charge albeit with the reduced functionality. This is a free service Valve is giving them and they have no right to complain when they haven't spent a dime. This is Valve's service and you haven't given Valve any money they have the right to change their service without your input. If you truly want these services then spend $5. 

$5 looks small and is small. If you have a computer that can play games you have $5 to spend on a game, DLC or something else. 

The fact of the matter is that right now people are complaining about a service they are using that they have never once paid for. They are playing free games on a service that is free. They have no right to complain. Especially when the company implements a strategy to help people that have spent a measly $5 on the service. 

avoid micro transaction? good, then just play? it's not Xbox live, you have to pay for that even for playing F2P games.

people like that should stick with that principle.

I am saying those people who are playing free to play games can continue to play those games free of charge albeit with the reduced functionality. This is a free service Valve is giving them and they have no right to complain when they haven't spent a dime. This is Valve's service and you haven't given Valve any money they have the right to change their service without your input. If you truly want these services then spend $5. 

$5 looks small and is small. If you have a computer that can play games you have $5 to spend on a game, DLC or something else. 

The fact of the matter is that right now people are complaining about a service they are using that they have never once paid for. They are playing free games on a service that is free. They have no right to complain. Especially when the company implements a strategy to help people that have spent a measly $5 on the service. 

You have completely missed my point, haven't you?

I said already, for some people it is not about spending five dollars versus five hundred; people are uncomfortable with the idea of online transactions. You can drop the cost down from $5 to a mere penny, and it is still not any easier for them. Again it is the idea of paying online that is bothering them, not how much they have to pay.

Steam may be a free service, but Valve is very much strong-arming people to pay for some rudimentary features that it already used to have. You can already add friends in PSN, XBL, Origin, UPlay, Social Club, et cetera without making a single payment. Why should Steam be exempt from this, and now of all times? 

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

You have completely missed my point, haven't you?

I said already, for some people it is not about spending five dollars versus five hundred; people are uncomfortable with the idea of online transactions. You can drop the cost down from $5 to a mere penny, and it is still not any easier for them. Again it is the idea of paying online that is bothering them, not how much they have to pay.

Steam may be a free service, but Valve is very much strong-arming people to pay for some rudimentary features that it already used to have. You can already add friends in PSN, XBL, Origin, UPlay, Social Club, et cetera without making a single payment. Why should Steam be exempt from this, and now of all times? 

My point is that these people you are talking about are playing these free games free of charge and that they have no right to complain about it because it's free. If they don't want to pony up $5 and think its unjust they can stop playing the free games and move on with their lives. By all means, let them go to Social Club and/or uPlay. When it comes down to it its Valve's service and they are absolutely in the right if they want to charge people who are otherwise spending nothing to use it. 

Well, this thread got controversial fast. Saw it coming, honestly.

at what point steam starts to ask you for a monthly 5$ subscription ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

LOL THIS IS SO DUMB VALVE MAKES FREE GAMES LIKE DOTA AND TF AND THEN TELL YOU TO SPEND MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU WONT USE TO PLAY WITH YA FRIENDS YEH THERE YA GO FOLKS GENIUS MARKETING FROM THE ONE, THE ONLY, VOLVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)