Steam users now have to spend $5 worth in purchases before they can add friends

Nowak

hm

I think its ok. but still very bad

I donT' get spammed all tha t much

Yea, I have a moderately large TF2 backpack and I can tell you that this is an issue.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This is terrible! I know people that don't buy/play games but they use steam to talk to friends that do buy games on steam. VALVE CHANGE THIS! It's stupid!

Well actually you just had to spend 0.01$ technically. Now, 5$ minimum.

You definitely don't need to spend before this, I have few friends from Dota 2 who have never spend a single dime and they could add friends just fine.

Try playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. As soon as you get a valuable item you'll be waking up to 40 phishing bot invites, I've heard.

Nah, no matter what their will be bot invites even if you set your inventory to private.

My Inventory worth around 30 dollars and i haven't gotten a lot of bots yet. 

Me and my 16 page blocked list will be much happier with this change. 

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

please dear god dont make this effect existing accounts... <_>

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

That's actually a good move I feel. However, it will screw over a few customers that just want to play free to play games like TF2, or dota 2. 

They can't send friend request but they can still accept friend request. So you can still be friends with your friend who only played F2P games on steam! It does make it impossible to have an F2P player befriend another F2P player though...

This is terrible! I know people that don't buy/play games but they use steam to talk to friends that do buy games on steam. VALVE CHANGE THIS! It's stupid!

well i dont see the issue? its not like valve are going to remove people from your friends list right? so they can still talk

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

This is such a bad idea. I only play free games, and this is how they treat me? First Ubisoft, then EA, then Steam? The fucking game industry hates me.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just to clarify: "limited" accounts CAN STILL ACCEPT FRIEND INVITES SENT TO THEM. You just can't send them. You can also use the client chat just fine.

This is such a bad idea. I only play free games, and this is how they treat me? First Ubisoft, then EA, then Steam? The fucking game industry hates me.

Have you spent literally nothing on steam?

From a business standpoint somebody who uses your service and pays literally nothing has nothing to complain about.

Have you spent literally nothing on steam?

From a business standpoint somebody who uses your service and pays literally nothing has nothing to complain about.

I get a lot of free games. But i use all those features like very heavily. But what  Idon't get is why they don't allow sending friend requests. That's honestly bullshit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I get a lot of free games. But i use all those features like very heavily. But what  Idon't get is why they don't allow sending friend requests. That's honestly bullshit.

Uhhh... That is the point of this.

On Tuesday alone I got 4 phishing friend requests from people who have not spent a dime on steam.

Without a basic money gate phishing bots are easier to make.

Why can't I just filter people that are level 0 to not add me?

I'm ok with this as I've spent 100s on steam already.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Why can't I just filter people that are level 0 to not add me?

I'm ok with this as I've spent 100s on steam already.

I would like this, so i can still add people. I mean, i'm only level 3 myself, but i've spent literally nothing on steam.

They can just use skype or something. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Or the friend who already bought something could invite the other... Like only if both are totally new to Steam that it won't work. 

What's a phishing bot? Sorry new to the PC Master race club.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

What's a phishing bot? Sorry new to the PC Master race club.

A bot (typically based out of Russia) that attempts to hijack your account by giving you a link disguised as a trade offer (the message is typically in broken English) with the goal of stealing items so the author of the bot can make some money on the Steam Marketplace. It'l illegitimate as fuck and I'm honestly disappointed Valve hasn't done much to effectively curb phishing bots until now.

A bot (typically based out of Russia) that attempts to hijack your account by giving you a link disguised as a trade offer (the message is typically in broken English) with the goal of stealing items so the author of the bot can make some money on the Steam Marketplace. It'l illegitimate as fuck and I'm honestly disappointed Valve hasn't done much to effectively curb phishing bots until now.

Thanks, I have steam but I know nothing about any of the market place your talking about and have no friends lol. I've spent a few hundred dollars in there tho so I should be fine talking to my empty friends list lol.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

I've noticed an increase in spam friend requests lately, so maybe that isn't an isolated thing and Steam is moving against it.  I've had a Steam account for 10 years now, so this doesn't mean a thing to me.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Oh, also, does G2A count as credit, or nah?

believe it or not lot's of transaction on steam.

like betting, RMT, gifting, just like G2A did.

my first worried is when they add requirement to do transaction to be able to do trade (new user, older user isn't affected)

but, now I'm glad they add that.

items bought from market place needs to wait 7 days to be able to trade, and now every trade need confirmation sent to email, unless you are confirming that you unable to receive or send your items.

in other words, if you regular user who already met the requirement why worried, this only for new user who really just want to make quick cash/scamming/phising.

it's really complicated, and I appreciate their effort to protect the user.

Oh, also, does G2A count as credit, or nah?

g2a trade method is by gifting the game.