Steam users now have to spend $5 worth in purchases before they can add friends

Nowak

LOL THIS IS SO DUMB VALVE MAKES FREE GAMES LIKE DOTA AND TF AND THEN TELL YOU TO SPEND MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU WONT USE TO PLAY WITH YA FRIENDS YEH THERE YA GO FOLKS GENIUS MARKETING FROM THE ONE, THE ONLY, VOLVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah sure type in Caps, people will take you seriously. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Yeah sure type in Caps, people will take you seriously. 

lol chill fam

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You have completely missed my point, haven't you?

I said already, for some people it is not about spending five dollars versus five hundred; people are uncomfortable with the idea of online transactions. You can drop the cost down from $5 to a mere penny, and it is still not any easier for them. Again it is the idea of paying online that is bothering them, not how much they have to pay.

Steam may be a free service, but Valve is very much strong-arming people to pay for some rudimentary features that it already used to have. You can already add friends in PSN, XBL, Origin, UPlay, Social Club, et cetera without making a single payment. Why should Steam be exempt from this, and now of all times? 

Steam is headed for a subscription service and people on this forum are going to whack off to the idea of it without questioning a thing. 

Steam already paywalled adding friends. ADDING FRIENDS. How fucking pathetic is that? What, MS and Sony don't have spam and phishing to deal with? They do, yet they didn't say "fuck people who just make free accounts, pay us to add friends"

Pathetic. So freaking pathetic. And people defending Valve making you PAY to ADD FRIENDS. God damn. 

The day has come. The sheeple have proven what they are made of and just how much they'll swallow without batting an eye. 

Honestly, they wouldn't have to do this if they didn't get complaints about people getting 40 or so bot invites a week. Too bad bot writers are dicks and are ruining it for everyone else because of their selfish desires.

Steam is headed for a subscription service and people on this forum are going to whack off to the idea of it without questioning a thing. 

Steam already paywalled adding friends. ADDING FRIENDS. How fucking pathetic is that? What, MS and Sony don't have spam and phishing to deal with? They do, yet they didn't say "fuck people who just make free accounts, pay us to add friends"

Pathetic. So freaking pathetic. And people defending Valve making you PAY to ADD FRIENDS. God damn. 

The day has come. The sheeple have proven what they are made of and just how much they'll swallow without batting an eye. 

Take off the tinfoil hat dude. Valve paywalled adding friends to cut down on the many phishing and spamming bots that run rampant on Steam. I like many others, get friend requested by these bots all the time. 

Regardless. It's free dude. Free. You can't complain if you haven't spent any money on their service. They're not charging $5 a month or $5 a year. They're requiring that you have at some point spent $5 on their service. When they start charging a subscription fee you're post will be valid. Till then Valve has every right to help those who have spent a measly $5. 

Take off the tinfoil hat dude. Valve paywalled adding friends to cut down on the many phishing and spamming bots that run rampant on Steam. I like many others, get friend requested by these bots all the time. 

Regardless. It's free dude. Free. You can't complain if you haven't spent any money on their service. They're not charging $5 a month or $5 a year. They're requiring that you have at some point spent $5 on their service. When they start charging a subscription fee you're post will be valid. Till then Valve has every right to help those who have spent a measly $5. 

You know what else you can do to cut down phishing and bots? Two factor verification. Which is free. And maintains good will. 

This is a money grab, especially against users who simply like playing F2P games like my brother. Now my brother (me, since he's young and has no job) needs to add 5 dollars for no bloody reason just to satisfy some bullshit justification for a fee. 

It is shady. It is subversive. It is pathetic. 

You know what else you can do to cut down phishing and bots? Two factor verification. Which is free. And maintains good will. 

This is a money grab, especially against users who simply like playing F2P games like my brother. Now my brother (me, since he's young and has no job) needs to add 5 dollars for no bloody reason just to satisfy some bullshit justification for a fee. 

It is shady. It is subversive. It is pathetic. 

Have him buy a game then with that $5. It's Valve's right to charge. Hell they're not even charging to play the game, it's to add friends. If he wants all the features he should spend the $5. Making video games isn't a free process. 

Why are people so opposed to Valve wanting to make money? They're a business, a business' goal is to make money. I thought that was a given.

Why are people so opposed to Valve wanting to make money? They're a business, a business' goal is to make money. I thought that was a given.

that would be the start of PC starting to head towards console practices. now its steam , next its uplay and then origins, if they all start to do their own thing , it'd be like xbox live and playstation plus  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

that would be the start of PC starting to head towards console practices. now its steam , next its uplay and then origins, if they all start to do their own thing , it'd be like xbox live and playstation plus  

Thing is, Steam isn't all of PC gaming. There's also Origin, GOG, Uplay (lol) or even buying the game straight from the developer.

Have him buy a game then with that $5. It's Valve's right to charge. Hell they're not even charging to play the game, it's to add friends. If he wants all the features he should spend the $5. Making video games isn't a free process.

I forgot, since Valve spends so much on game development eh?

I can't wait for Windows 10 and XBLs infrastructure to show up. XBL has a superior chat system, party system and in general is more user friendly than Steam right now. And it will be FREE.

Keep chugging the special sauce of GabeN, it's people like you and your "oh it's okay, just deal with it" attitude that ruins the landscape for everyone.

I can't believe people are defending this shit. Way to ignore my point btw. There is nothing that couldn't have been solved by introducing two factor authentication during signup for an account. But Valve chose to charge. That says it all.

I think that this is a good move overall,but it will probably result in a lot of younger people not being allowed to add their friends by their parents/carers simply because they don't want to be spending money on this sort of thing for F2P games.

Sig under construction.

I can't believe people are defending this shit. Way to ignore my point btw. There is nothing that couldn't have been solved by introducing two factor authentication during signup for an account. But Valve chose to charge. That says it all.

If you're talking about CAPTCHA, there already is one on the signup page. And look how effective it is!

m

That's not two factor!

So, another CAPTCHA when sending the invite? Yeah, good luck stopping all the bots then.

My point is, bot makers can and will work around CAPTCHAs. They're just so determined to make money through hijacked accounts they don't give a damn if they're going to ruin it for everyone else, and they are ruining it for everyone else. It's bullshit and I'm not a big fan of it either.

So, another CAPTCHA when sending the invite? Yeah, good luck stopping all the bots then.

My point is, bot makers can and will work around CAPTCHAs. They're just so determined to make money through hijacked accounts they don't give a damn if they're going to ruin it for everyone else, and they are ruining it for everyone else. It's bullshit and I'm not a big fan of it either.

Install Steam inventory helper (chrome extension) and just auto block every lvl 0 account. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Two factor would be sending a message to a phone in addition to sending an email, or captcha. Or having all 3 during signup. 

Valve took the pathetic way out. No excuse and no defence. 

Two factor would be sending a message to a phone in addition to sending an email, or captcha. Or having all 3 during signup. 

You fail to take in the shear number of complaints and issues that hijackers (phishers) cause steam support. Steam clearly thinks forcing something like this is better than having hundreds...thousands...millions(?) of reports of stolen items coming in on a regular basis. 

Steam has already tried and revoked something like this in the past....so, they might very well undo this as well. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It's not like Valve have tried curbing this before with Steam Guard and are adding two-step phone authentication soon with the Steam app.

You need to understand that when a store or marketplace gets really popular it's going to be exploited or hacked one way or the other. Especially ones with virtual marketplaces.

Your suggestions anyway don't seem too cut and dry as you make them out to be. The Steam market is a place where there is money to be made and no matter how hard companies such as Valve try to make marketplaces as varied and as popular such as the Steam platform be secure, people will exploit it with various means that already exist or ones that will soon exist. it's a problem lots of companies have or will have if they ever aspire to be as big and as varied as the Steam platform is.

Considering the circumstances and what-not with these annoying phishing bots, I have no issue with the $5 minimum purchase requirement as since then I have had no bot friend requests since it's implementation whereas before I got at least 30 to 40 bot friend requests a week, and that was considered to be on the light side of things.

At the end of the day, if it was Origin or even UPlay that was just as popular as Steam is, they'd have the same issues as well.

Because that's what happens when you're popular; people will exploit it. It's a fact of life.

I actually like this change. Will problably improve greenlight votes. 
And 5$ isnt much, specially in steam sales.

hm

I think its ok. but still very bad 

I donT' get spammed all tha t much

You're lucky then.

IDK what the heck happened but about 4 months ago I began getting a friend request from different private accounts what feels like every hour or 2. I think the record I got was 26 friend requests in a 8 hour period. I don't trade or anything or even associate with anyone who trades. Its Crazy and I'm so glad this is gonna be a new requirement.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

I've spent $100+ on CS:GO apparently.

I'm cool with this.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I've always had this rule (4 year old account) I wasn't aware it could technically be 0.01$, but I didn't add a friend until I purchased my first game (Portal & Portal 2 bundle)

but the minimum we can add to the account is $5, so no biggy.

Try posting a trade on CSGOLOUNGE, 30 seconds later you get 20+ friend requests, 95% of which are bots.

So that's a lot of fun.

Good move by valve.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

pEzgun1.png

Doesn't look like the new rules are in place yet, because I just got a bot invite on Steam.