Experiences with non-techies

only hassle I've had with non techies over the years ,are a couple of people i worked with over the years asked my advice on getting a new pc , which i usually reply with "how much you want to spend on it ?" and "please don't go and buy something from the local computer store  , i can build something better for less then what they will charge you "

one guy spent over 2 grand on a pc not that long ago , came with a WOOT 17" lcd  120gb hard drive core2 duo cpu using onboard graphics , few month later i put in a 1tb hd as his was full and better graphics card

only hassle I've had with non techies over the years ,are a couple of people i worked with over the years asked my advice on getting a new pc , which i usually reply with "how much you want to spend on it ?" and "please don't go and buy something from the local computer store  , i can build something better for less then what they will charge you "

one guy spent over 2 grand on a pc not that long ago , came with a WOOT 17" lcd  120gb hard drive core2 duo cpu using onboard graphics , few month later i put in a 1tb hd as his was full and better graphics card

wow he really got scammed there :(

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

My mom wanted to buy some below 100$ headphones for my little sister, I know she will wan't a more beautiful than great sounding headphone. We tried some, I made my mom listen to a cheaply made 60$ Headphones saying it was shit, she took a 25$ one, thinking it was the same and was gonna buy it. I shouted at her saying that she shouldn't buy it because it was a waste of money. Today I was at Futureshop looking for some headphones (again for my sister). I was listening to the sennheiser's momentum to try them out than a salesmen pointed me to some beats... I said to him that I would never buy them because they're shit, he walked away. (Just saying that he seems to be making a lot more money by selling me beats so he isn't interested of spending his time with me further) I loled.

Good on you beats are so crap i wish people would step back an actully notice some of the crap they buy when they actully spent 5 mins look this stuff up they find stuff x10 better for the same price :3

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Exactly :) LCD panels do not output any electrical signals or transmissions. The crystals that make them up just change shape in response to input. Basically.

Which is their output from the type of input. Remember, the definition also said this: Information in a form suitable for transmission from internal to external units of a computer, or to an outside medium.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Which is their output from the type of input. Remember, the definition also said this: Information in a form suitable for transmission from internal to external units of a computer, or to an outside medium.

I don't think you are getting that the crystals are the "outside medium" and not the thing being transferred. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't think you are getting that the crystals are the "outside medium" and not the thing being transferred. 

It said or to an outside medium.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Good on you beats are so crap i wish people would step back an actully notice some of the crap they buy when they actully spent 5 mins look this stuff up they find stuff x10 better for the same price :3

Seriously you have no idea, I can already name v-moda's, Tiesto's by AKG and Sol Republic's that are in the same sound range but are a LOT better and cheaper. My friend was saying to me the other day : You know, beat headphones are actually good headphones. I laughed so hard they got me out of the class. It's not because beats have 50%+ market share that they are the best, it just means they do more publicity...

Edit : I found out that apparently Tiesto's headphones have very poor build quality. I only tried the v-modas though.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Even if you count the crystal re-alignment as output (which I do not, as it is not putting anything outward of itself) there is still nothing analog about an LCD.

I have a story, it happened pretty recently. So at school I hear these 2 guys talking about the new imac (the new really slim one that looks like an ipad with a stand) and how they're going to buy it as soon as they release. Then one guy says "well I'll surely get the one with an i7 because i5 is shit", I couldn't resist intervening and I asked him if he knew the difference between an i5 and an i7, he said "yeah, an i5 is older". I proceeded to place my palm over my face. There are a lot of guys like that in my school, they ALL have macs and iphones and they think they are some kind of super NASA computer engineers because they head the word "processor" in an apple commercial.

Actually another one came to mind! One of the first questions in our computer class test was "explain what a *computer part* is", there were 2 different versions of the test, one had GPU, the other had motherboard. So when we got the test back I took a look at what my friend to wrote to explain what a motherboard was and he wrote something to the degree of "The motherboard is a plastic tube that holds all your cables".

On this same test we had to explain the difference between hardware, so I wrote something like "The hardware is the actual components of the computer and the software takes advantage of the hardware (kind of hard to translate what I said from Italian), you can touch the hardware yet you can't touch the software". So keep in mind this was a VERY VERY basic test, pretty much if you wrote anything vaguely close you got it right. So when I got my test back turns out I got the difference between hardware and software wrong, so I ask the teacher why it was wrong and he says "you can touch software, if you put software on a hard disk, you can touch the hard disk". Now that's the reason why i got a 6- instead of 6 (6 is like 100%) in my computer class.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

One of my not so tech-savy friends recently bought a macbook pro. His old laptop crapped out due to the massive amount of viruses he had from clicking ads that say "SPEED UP YOUR PC, DOWNLOAD MORE RAM" and things of the sort. He bought a macbook because he believes that they CANT get viruses, and he bought the one with double ssd storage because the sales rep told him it will double the speed of the computer. The sales rep also told him that everything he views is in HD if he has the retina display. 

CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.4ghz | MB: Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | Ram: 8gb GSkill Ares @ 1600mhz | Cooler: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2   

Gpu: Sapphire 7870xt | Case: Rosewill Future | PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750-M | Storage: 1TB Seagate Drive w/ 32gb SSD cache

I have a story, it happened pretty recently. So at school I hear these 2 guys talking about the new imac (the new really slim one that looks like an ipad with a stand) and how they're going to buy it as soon as they release. Then one guy says "well I'll surely get the one with an i7 because i5 is shit", I couldn't resist intervening and I asked him if he knew the difference between an i5 and an i7, he said "yeah, an i5 is older". I proceeded to place my palm over my face. There are a lot of guys like that in my school, they ALL have macs and iphones and they think they are some kind of super NASA computer engineers because they head the word "processor" in an apple commercial.

Actually another one came to mind! One of the first questions in our computer class test was "explain what a *computer part* is", there were 2 different versions of the test, one had GPU, the other had motherboard. So when we got the test back I took a look at what my friend to wrote to explain what a motherboard was and he wrote something to the degree of "The motherboard is a plastic tube that holds all your cables".

On this same test we had to explain the difference between hardware, so I wrote something like "The hardware is the actual components of the computer and the software takes advantage of the hardware (kind of hard to translate what I said from Italian), you can touch the hardware yet you can't touch the software". So keep in mind this was a VERY VERY basic test, pretty much if you wrote anything vaguely close you got it right. So when I got my test back turns out I got the difference between hardware and software wrong, so I ask the teacher why it was wrong and he says "you can touch software, if you put software on a hard disk, you can touch the hard disk". Now that's the reason why i got a 6- instead of 6 (6 is like 100%) in my computer class.

That's such a technicality. You essentially had it right.

Bah.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

One of my not so tech-savy friends recently bought a macbook pro. His old laptop crapped out due to the massive amount of viruses he had from clicking ads that say "SPEED UP YOUR PC, DOWNLOAD MORE RAM" and things of the sort. He bought a macbook because he believes that they CANT get viruses, and he bought the one with double ssd storage because the sales rep told him it will double the speed of the computer. The sales rep also told him that everything he views is in HD if he has the retina display. 

Well, technically it is in HD. 

But a pixel in HD is still a pixel. Or a 12-bit mario is still a 12 bit mario when blown up on an HD screen. Though it is being viewed in "HD".

† Christian Member †

Well, technically it is in HD. 

But a pixel in HD is still a pixel. Or a 12-bit mario is still a 12 bit mario when blown up on an HD screen. Though it is being viewed in "HD".

From what I understand the sales rep essentially told him that if something wasn't in HD res to begin with, the retina display would make it HD Res

CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.4ghz | MB: Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | Ram: 8gb GSkill Ares @ 1600mhz | Cooler: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev. 2   

Gpu: Sapphire 7870xt | Case: Rosewill Future | PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750-M | Storage: 1TB Seagate Drive w/ 32gb SSD cache

once one of my friend's told me that they hadn't done any of the windows updates and stopped it from downloading when he turned it off because he was scared that he would download a virus from one of them, I just laughed 

That's such a technicality. You essentially had it right.

Bah.

The thing is: aren't you touching hardware when you touch a hard disk? :D

You can't actually touch an OS, program, game etc. If you touch the device that it's on you're touching hardware. I argued about this for a while with my computer class teacher, but to no avail! 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Another thing is my mom does something "important" on the computer such as hitting the final order button on an amazon order she holds down the mouse button for at least 5 seconds. I have no idea why. She also believes Norton destroys viruses, making you're computer completely immune. Finally she assumes that Skype, Youtube, and Steam are viruses, and that my computer is riddled with them because I use these things, and that if someone who has a computer with a virus uses facebook and you see their wall, you too have the virus.

My best friend said that windows sucks because it does not delete your files. He just pressed the delete and sent them to recycle bin. *facepalm*

Year ago my dsi xl broke and i went back to the store. When i said that my dsi broke the lady pushed rubber pads/dots under the dsi and said: did you press these buttons?

Sorry for my bad english im from estonia (pointless country who invented skype :) ) and i am 14 and i learned my english from youtube

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

My best friend said that windows sucks because it does not delete your files. He just pressed the delete and sent them to recycle bin. *facepalm

No OS deletes files. It's simply removed from the file table while the file is still on the hard drive until overwritten. Besides, simply putting a file into the recycle bin doesn't "delete" the file.

The thing is: aren't you touching hardware when you touch a hard disk? :D

You can't actually touch an OS, program, game etc. If you touch the device that it's on you're touching hardware. I argued about this for a while with my computer class teacher, but to no avail! 

What if I print off the binary or language oriented code that makes up the program then touch it, am I touching software then? /joke

† Christian Member †

What if I print off the binary or language oriented code that makes up the program then touch it, am I touching software then? /joke

Only if you print it onto a soft paper... /completely serious

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I don't really have an example except that when I go to the apple store with my gf, because her phone broke again, I would look around for the noobie and mess with him/her. I would also like to add that I do not think some of the employees should be called geniuses lol. Anyone else enjoy doing this?

I do that but in general tech stores and ask the "techies" stuff with my friends and really confuse them, it's fun to get the same number of people as they have of "techies" and see them look around for someone that's free.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

A friend who claims there is a graphics card that costs $200 and runs every game on the highest settings at at least 60 fps.

People who say a hard drive is memory.

A friend who made his computer freak out buy trying to reuse a HDD for extra space. Little did he know, it had an operating system on it while he already had a SSD boot drive.

My grandmother - when she got a Nook she had to use wifi to set it up. When my mom asked her if she had wifi, she responded, "We don't have that out here."

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

A friend who claims there is a graphics card that costs $200 and runs every game on the highest settings at at least 60FPS.

Depends on the resolution and AA applied.

My experiences have actually been pretty good. One of my friends said she was going to buy a Macbook. And I did exactly what Linus did in that commercial. Ultimately I convinced her to get an ASUS laptop with better specs.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

Depends on the resolution and AA applied.

Yes, I said highest settings(resolution, AA...)

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8