Experiences with non-techies

Okay, so this isn't my personal experience, but from one of my friends who works in a call center for a cellular company. Anyway, she took a call from a customer who had managed to take out the battery from her iPhone after another rep told them to do so and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. I'm not sure who is the non-techie here, the customer or that other rep.

Im kind of horrified to hear that. Although I did have a guy in over the weekend who asked me to take his 3GS back cover off because he tried and couldnt get it off. 

The latest for me, is my mother calling me to ask why her computer mouse doesn't work (while shouting that it's a piece of crap and what not), when I get there, I find she managed to plug the USB mouse in the Ethernet port of her laptop.. Couldn't help facepalming in front of her.

Lol my mum did that with a flash drive. I felt so sorry for her that I had to pretend I didn't know why it didn't work and "try another port"

Me too. When I see someone says they're good at computers and so on, then I would spit out some stuff that I don't expect them to know. They would just go "Err.....never heard of it."

I did that at the Samsung store where the woman thought the US S4 i9505 was different to the AU one and that buying AU stock would "work better" with AU networks.

Hehe. Know that double click thing pretty well. I remember back in after-school-club (Direct translation from danish (atleast what we called it)) when people played racing games on the playstation 1, and they sat and turned the controller. Motion controls, now with 100% less motion control.

I am tech savy and i do that sub conciously! haha. Just like how i press buttons harder thinking the car will go faster even though i know it wont

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

I went to go fix my neighbors printer only to discover he jammed the USB cable into the Ethernet port..............extreme face palm. 

My rig: Cpu: AMD 8350 | Cooler: Corsair h100i with Noctua nf-f12 fans | Ram: 8gb 1600 corsair vengeance | Hard Drive: 2x 1tb wd drives in raid 1 | SSd: 128gb plextor m5p  | Motherboard: asrock extreme9  | Graphics card: amd 7850 2gb | Power Supply: ocz modular | Case: cooler master cm 690 ii          Peripherals: | Monitor: x-star 1440p | Mic: blue snowball  | Keyboard: Flashget G600  | Mouse: No name |

When people buy a new $1500 macbook and think pc's are all shit because they had a crappy $200 laptop previous to there new macbook.....It makes me cringe so much. 

My rig: Cpu: AMD 8350 | Cooler: Corsair h100i with Noctua nf-f12 fans | Ram: 8gb 1600 corsair vengeance | Hard Drive: 2x 1tb wd drives in raid 1 | SSd: 128gb plextor m5p  | Motherboard: asrock extreme9  | Graphics card: amd 7850 2gb | Power Supply: ocz modular | Case: cooler master cm 690 ii          Peripherals: | Monitor: x-star 1440p | Mic: blue snowball  | Keyboard: Flashget G600  | Mouse: No name |

Im kind of horrified to hear that. Although I did have a guy in over the weekend who asked me to take his 3GS back cover off because he tried and couldnt get it off. 

I wasn't that surprised, actually. A lot of troubleshooting steps with these representatives usually starts with removing the device's battery to see if that fixes anything (again, just from what my friend tells me). It was only a matter of time before a rep who didn't pay attention to the trainings told an iPhone user to try this. When my friend told me about this, she said she wasn't sure if her company was going to replace the phone or not since the customer voided the warranty on the advice of the rep before her.

Everybody in my school compares graphics card with how much memory they have. :huh: <_<

They keep asking each other "how much" graphics card they have? :blink: :wacko: Facepalm

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

They keep asking each other "how much" graphics card they have? :blink: :wacko: Facepalm

"How much graphics you got?" "4GB." "Your PC is better than my brother's. He's got 2GB of graphics."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is true IF you use the entire drive as your "system".  I'm talking about the read/write head imparting energy to flip a magnetic field on the platter.  I'm using a smaller "system" than you are referencing.

Again, the energy is being converted into heat. It doesn't matter what you define as your system. I'm talking about the all univers as my system. Heat is being moved... You can't deny that. So you can't just look at the micro without thinking that the heat is dissipated.

Even if your small system was isolated completely the heat would just add up... And there is no energy difference.

dE=0, dE=dMc^2,0=dMc^2, dM=0

(d: delta)

You are forgetting the fields also gravitate.  Therefore energy fields have mass.  I've quoted the reference in an earlier post.

Not true, even light (which does not have mass) gets effected by gravity. Remember Einstein's ring?. (Though light has a momentum, it does not have mass)

Though light has a momentum, it does not have mass

Light would have mass if you consider it as particle (photon) according to the dual nature theory, because if it doesn't have mass it would not be a particle. 

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

1). I remember telling a friend that I was milling PCB traces for a project, and he thought that had something to do with cutting wood.

2). When I built my mom's computer, she wanted to download iTunes. She went to the Apple website and started dragging around a picture in the browser and raged at me, thinking her PC was broken.

3). I personally know a lot of people that buy the most expensive Macbook Pro's to use as Facebook machines. This makes me sad.

Lol my mum did that with a flash drive. I felt so sorry for her that I had to pretend I didn't know why it didn't work and "try another port"

I thought the rule of thumb with electronics was to jam the connector into the port until it worked?

"How much graphics you got?" "4GB." "Your PC is better than my brother's. he's got 2GB of graphics."

I've encountered the same thing. Many people also have the misconception that the total graphics frame buffer/VRAM actually increases by adding a card in SLI or CFX. They should seriously add a warning label on the box to make sure know.

1). I remember telling a friend that I was milling PCB traces for a project, and he thought that had something to do with cutting wood.

2). When I built my mom's computer, she wanted to download iTunes. She went to the Apple website and started dragging around a picture in the browser and raged at me, thinking her PC was broken.

3). I personally know a lot of people that buy the most expensive Macbook Pro's to use as Facebook machines. This makes me sad.

The meaning of the word "pro" seems to be lost on some people.

Thank god after he told me he wanted his games on his ssd i smashed my face agaisnt the table to hard i had a head ache for the rest of the day... Idiots..

I'd like to think as soon as he said it you just slammed your face on the desk no delay no questions asked just slammed it lool

Was on /g/ one time and some anon was asking help on how to build his PC.

"I can't get the graphics card to secure to the side of the case if I secure my motherboard"

The entire time they weren't using standoffs and they had already managed to short their mobo. Was a brand new haswell build, very painful to see.

"I can't get the graphics card to secure to the side of the case if I secure my motherboard"

The entire time they weren't using standoffs and they had already managed to short their mobo. Was a brand new haswell build, very painful to see.

Ouch..that's brutal, I'd probably cry. This is why you watch Linus' videos on YouTube, or find someone you know that has experience with computers before jumping into your first build.

I've got a friend, I've known for a while. He's got a cheap $200 Pentium 4 computer with 1GB RAM. I've told him time and again, DON'T down random stuff. But every couple weeks, he tells me I downloaded this program that was supposed to speed up my computer, and now I've got a virus or something. It's gotten to the point, I am sad to say, I won't go over there and fix it. We're talking about 10 times I've gotten rid of viruses.

When people buy a new $1500 macbook and think pc's are all shit because they had a crappy $200 laptop previous to there new macbook.....It makes me cringe so much. 

My sister went from a £150 samsung notebook to a macbook air is amazed by how quickly it turns on and she will never go back to windows because it is so slow. My PC beats her boot up time but shes still not impressed because my phone wont sync all the shit from her iphone to a PC as if by magic.  

Ouch..that's brutal, I'd probably cry. This is why you watch Linus' videos on YouTube, or find someone you know that has experience with computers before jumping into your first build.

Or simply read the effing manual. Specifically the "How to install the motherboard into the case" bit.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Why do people even bother building their own computer if you can't follow instructions... 

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

e = mc^2, but also e = e.  Just because there is energy input does not necessarily mean it is being converted into mass.  In most situations it stays as energy and is output again in a different form.  Through heat, etc.

Energy being converted into mass happens in particle colliders.  Not in hard drives.

or nuclear fission/fusion...

Here's one I forgot about: when I first built my rig I showed a photo (side panel open) to a couple of my younger cousins.  One of them goes "YOU OPENED YOUR COMPUTER!?"

I facepalmed so hard.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro