Experiences with non-techies

1). I remember telling a friend that I was milling PCB traces for a project, and he thought that had something to do with cutting wood.

2). When I built my mom's computer, she wanted to download iTunes. She went to the Apple website and started dragging around a picture in the browser and raged at me, thinking her PC was broken.

3). I personally know a lot of people that buy the most expensive Macbook Pro's to use as Facebook machines. This makes me sad.

I thought the rule of thumb with electronics was to jam the connector into the port until it worked?

I've encountered the same thing. Many people also have the misconception that the total graphics frame buffer/VRAM actually increases by adding a card in SLI or CFX. They should seriously add a warning label on the box to make sure know.

I actually though that 2 cards put together meant that there would be more GDDR5 RAM. but that was before I began following all the tech chanels.

I actually though that 2 cards put together meant that there would be more GDDR5 RAM. but that was before I began following all the tech chanels.

Technically there is more, but because of the way SLI/Crossfire works, it's effectively the same.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Again, the energy is being converted into heat. It doesn't matter what you define as your system. I'm talking about the all univers as my system. Heat is being moved... You can't deny that. So you can't just look at the micro without thinking that the heat is dissipated.

Even if your small system was isolated completely the heat would just add up... And there is no energy difference.

dE=0, dE=dMc^2,0=dMc^2, dM=0

(d: delta)

I think another science argument is about to start

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

So today a classmate of mine needed to present a powerpoint for a project, but he had his flash drive formatted as HFS+ so it wasn't showing up on the computer. He was convinced that it was broken, but I fortunately decided to help him out since I have the software on my computer to deal with HFS+ and let him run his powerpoint off my flashdrive instead.

My mom made a program for her co-workers and it said "press any key to continue" and all her co-workers were looking for the button that said "any"

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I think another science argument is about to start

Isn't that a good thing? Science arguments are always fun... Don't you think?

My most memorable experience was in best buy, with a tech department guy. He was adamant that the highest end gaming pcs sold have 9gb of RAM. To this day I still haven't heard of any prebuilt pc sold with 9gb of RAM (I mean I know some pcs have it, but he thought ALL high end machines were sold with 9gb of ram)

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Yeah this guy is awfull, he got an other video where he says that you can have more ram for free, all he does is making the computer think some of the HDD space is RAM.

you do realize what he does is as a joke...

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

My sister wanted to practice her presentation with my cousin and she woke me up to connect her laptop to the tv (she didn't try) and was telling me where the usb cable (to connect her laptop to the tv) so I just unplugged the hdmi from the blu ray plyr into her laptop and left

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

My friend said he got a 'gaming' computer as a graduation gift, I asked for the specs and he said it had a gt630 in it and probably a core 2 duo (this pc was given about 2 or 3 months ago)...

Another one of my friends said he had an epic computer, I asked for the specs, he said he didnt know any of it aside from that the gpu was an nvidia...

he also said that he knew this guy who would go to Japan to sift through the trash to find computer parts and sell them here (to any Japanese members, is this true that you just throw away old hardware?)

Not so much people with little tech knowledge but its the people who should know better that really upset me:

Back in 98/99 I was arguing with a computer tech that crts were better because they had better native resolutions and faster refresh rates, he said they did not have a resolution, they were analogue and thus the resolution was infinite.

Also when buying car speakers the salesmen was adamant that the 4" speakers with 600Watts written on the box could actually handle 600Watts :o

Not too mention when in Harvey norman the tech (guru) was trying to tell me his super expensive "monster" cables were far superior than standard cables by comparing MC component video cables to bog stock s-video cable. He couldn't even understand that it was a completely different video processing standard let alone cable configuration. :rolleyes:

Now when people refer to the Hdd as the computers memory I know what they mean and I let it go.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have a 240GB SSD and a relative comes in and asks, ''How much space does your computer have?''. ''Oh, its 240GB.'' He looks at me confused, proably thinking why does that big fat desktop have so less place; and I tell him its a SSD, and he looks further confused...

PC in Profile

Oh, and heres another one- My friend has one of those Retina display macs and I tell him that my computer has a 670 and it can play BF3 and stuff. He tell me this-

I have a Retina display. I too can play BF3 on ultra.

*facepalm*

PC in Profile

My friend said he got a 'gaming' computer as a graduation gift, I asked for the specs and he said it had a gt630 in it and probably a core 2 duo (this pc was given about 2 or 3 months ago)...

Another one of my friends said he had an epic computer, I asked for the specs, he said he didnt know any of it aside from that the gpu was an nvidia...

he also said that he knew this guy who would go to Japan to sift through the trash to find computer parts and sell them here (to any Japanese members, is this true that you just throw away old hardware?)

Those are the same specs as my brother's pc ... from 5 years ago

gosh i've heard so much bash about the geek squad XD like honestly from everything i've heard i think they are train in a 30 minute class about computers

In my opinion they shouldn't be trained about computers, they should already know about computers !

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

My grandmother once sent me a funny power point that I deleted, she really wanted me to see it so I said I could just log into her account and find it. She gave me her password and then she though I had access to her computer, at least she understood the first time I explained her after that incident. That gave me a good laugh.

My grandfather sent an e-mail to my mother all written in caps, I think he haven't found the caps lock key yet...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

In my opinion they shouldn't be trained about computers, they should already know about computers !

yes, i agree!

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I was helping a friend choose pc parts. He was worried about gpu length and this is what he actually messaged me no joke:

"oh okay. what if ur gpu is too short? i know too long, just don't buy it, but if it's too short, can u extend it?"

I facepalmed so hard...

An example: If you bought a 2x4 can you extend it?

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

Wow....

I use to work for Harvey Norman in Australia about a year ago, I was asked what google was everyday

Also, how do I use this.... A mouse.

sounds like those people should stick to roo catching :3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Not so much people with little tech knowledge but its the people who should know better that really upset me:

Back in 98/99 I was arguing with a computer tech that crts were better because they had better native resolutions and faster refresh rates, he said they did not have a resolution, they were analogue and thus the resolution was infinite

All displays output analog.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch