Experiences with non-techies

Got payed 20$ to install norton on some ones pc and put there camera pictures to the pc and delete them off the sd   lol really..?I almost think people just dont want to learn

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

That comment is wrong. PCs can do that through Windows Media Center.

The OP knows that... the non-techie doesn't

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Everybody in my school compares graphics card with how much memory they have.  :huh:  <_<

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

So, my mom isn't the only one how double click in the browser... What a relief!

I actually in my 17 years of computer experience just enabled single click about 15 seconds ago.  I always right click and hit open.  Except chrome ups on 1 click.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Everybody in my school compares graphics card with how much memory they have.  :huh:  <_<

Ya man, several friends of mine do the same. They only compare memory and don't factor in everything else.

The energy isn't being converted into mass, only heat (another form of energy) and vibration (kinetic).

The formula E=Mc^2 is proportional.  Anything that adds energy therefore adds mass. 

Laws only govern the honest.

I put the" I <3 my SSD sticker" from OCZ on my laptop, people in my English class ask, what is an SSD? i say, It converts you computer to run off of gasoline, they believe me.

PC : i7-3820 @ 4.3 GHz | Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 16 GB @ 2133MHz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI Windforce 3X | Gigabyte X79-UD5 | OCZ Vector 128 GB (Died) | WD Black 1TB |  | Asus Xonar DGX | Antch P280 | Asus PA238QR & NEC PA271w | LG 1440x900 Monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry MX Brown) | Corsair M60 | Blue Snowball | Sennheiser HD 439 | IKEA Kitchen Table 

The formula E=Mc^2 is proportional.  Anything that adds energy therefore adds mass. 

e = mc2, but also e = e.  Just because there is energy input does not necessarily mean it is being converted into mass.  In most situations it stays as energy and is output again in a different form.  Through heat, etc.

Energy being converted into mass happens in particle colliders.  Not in hard drives.

once when i was small my mom heard about some virus on the news and outright refused to turn on the computer for a week "in case it catches it"

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

my older brother told me about when my parent got there fist computer and he installed a program on it and the icon showed up on the desktop they were furious that he had done something wrong

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I spent 30 mins on teamspeak with a friend who I convinced could download RAM on the Pirate Bay...

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

No! In hard drives energy is converted into another form of energy like heat, and vibration. not to mass (a form of energy)

This is a huge misconception.

The E=mc^2 is when the energy of the system is changing. In hard drives the energy isn't. It's dissipated. But it's not converted into mass... If the thermal conductivity was 0, and the vibration wouldn't be absorbed by the case. You would understand that energy isn't being lost, because it would be heating linearly... Vibration is mostly to do with resonance and torque (not sure if I spelled it correctly).

Basically. No energy has being converted to mass in a hard drive...

I put the" I <3 my SSD sticker" from OCZ on my laptop, people in my English class ask, what is an SSD? i say, It converts you computer to run off of gasoline, they believe me.

i think that would be more expensive that running off electricity XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My mom thinks that watching "viral videos" on youtube are how you get computer viruses..

I've explained what's meant by the term "viral video" several times, but she still worries every time my dad goes on youtube (which is every day).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

No! In hard drives energy is converted into another form of energy like heat, and vibration. not to mass (a form of energy)

This is a huge misconception.

The E=mc^2 is when the energy of the system is changing. In hard drives the energy isn't. It's dissipated. But it's not converted into mass... If the thermal conductivity was 0, and the vibration wouldn't be absorbed by the case. You would understand that energy isn't being lost, because it would be heating linearly... Vibration is mostly to do with resonance and torque (not sure if I spelled it correctly).

Basically. No energy has being converted to mass in a hard drive...

This is true IF you use the entire drive as your "system".  I'm talking about the read/write head imparting energy to flip a magnetic field on the platter.  I'm using a smaller "system" than you are referencing. 

e = mc^2, but also e = e.  Just because there is energy input does not necessarily mean it is being converted into mass.  In most situations it stays as energy and is output again in a different form.  Through heat, etc.

Energy being converted into mass happens in particle colliders.  Not in hard drives.

You are forgetting the fields also gravitate.  Therefore energy fields have mass.  I've quoted the reference in an earlier post.

customer walks into shop tells me new laptop isnt working so i go to look at it and its out of battery i asked her if she plugged it into the mains to charge and she replied "i didn't think you had too because it has wifi"

*facepalm*

OH MY GOD. Dude I know your pain. I had a lady do the same to me with a cellphone. I spent such a long time explaining to her how it works. She came back the next day and wanted to return it because all her mains plugs were being used and she didnt want to have to unplug one thing to plug in the phones charger. Even though we explained she can buy a multiport if every thing must be plugged in at the same time.

A customer came into Micro Center to get a new battery for his laptop. I asked him what's the model of his laptop and he replied: "It's brown."

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

A customer came into Micro Center to get a new battery for his laptop. I asked him what's the model of his laptop and he replied: "It's brown."

Narrows it down.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Okay, so this isn't my personal experience, but from one of my friends who works in a call center for a cellular company. Anyway, she took a call from a customer who had managed to take out the battery from her iPhone after another rep told them to do so and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. I'm not sure who is the non-techie here, the customer or that other rep.

<p>electronics shop is trying to tell me because  the Gpu has more ram its very fast</p>

<p>he was showing me a 7300GT back in 2007</p>

<p>it still own it btw :)</p>

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.