Apple up to no good? They could possibly be intentionally slowing down older devices.

DeViLzzz

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Apple. What a bunch of bastards.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Meh, not too surprised.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Amazon does this 2.....My kindle fire hd is awful after the hdx came out....

Its all looks these days

It was obvious on an iPad 2 going from iOS 5 to iOS 7.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Did you guys even read the original article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/upshot/hold-the-phone-a-big-data-conundrum.html?referrer=?

This comment there summed it up perfectly for me:

This is like taking a poll about the temperature outside instead of just going out with a thermometer. Why not just test the phones? Problem solved.

There is no concrete proof at all, heck there is no proof whatsoever. This is just based on assumptions and hypothesis. It is likely that a new OS can slow down an older phone but that doesn't explain why the spikes are just at the launch times when new iOS versions have released at other times also.

There is no real evidence, just what people search on google. What i hink happens is that we see the new iphone come out and we rationlize getting it by making ourselfs think our current one is slow

thats like complaining an XP machine is slow after putting 7 on it. Ios7 is going to require more, making the device slower

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

How is this news?

More like Apple Standard Operating Procedure

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did you guys even read the original article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/upshot/hold-the-phone-a-big-data-conundrum.html?referrer=?

This comment there summed it up perfectly for me:

There is no concrete proof at all, heck there is no proof whatsoever. This is just based on assumptions and hypothesis. It is likely that a new OS can slow down an older phone but that doesn't explain why the spikes are just at the launch times when new iOS versions have released at other times also.

Give me a break.  Apple knows what they are doing.

I did this last night. seems pretty speedy to me.  :D

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

At least they support their devices for that long.

How is this news?

More like Standard Corporation Operating Procedure

Fixed it for you.

If this is true, although I doubt Apple are intentionally making their own devices look bad. Corporations are driven to make a profit. They aren't making anymore from that old iPhone 3gs and you would still use the app store after you upgraded if not more.

Money Money Money :D.

Not like they are the only company in the world to think like this.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

this was known for a long time. That's why i buy android.

At least they support their devices for that long.

You can always root and install custom OS's.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Fixed it for you.

If this is true, although I doubt Apple are intentionally making their own devices look bad. Corporations are driven to make a profit. They aren't making anymore from that old iPhone 3gs and you would still use the app store after you upgraded if not more.

Money Money Money :D.

Not like they are the only company in the world to think like this.

Fair enough.

planned obsolescence, standard procedure for all corporations.

Can't wait until in-home micro manufacturing with 3d printers makes these fucks obsolete.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well my 3G turned into a slouch on iOS 4. I guess 412MHz ARMv6 and 128Mb RAM devices do that.

I know iPhone 4,users weren't too happy with iOS 7. I'd get annoyed just turning the WiFi on for my mum (she struggles with technology), but with 7.1 performance is much better.

You'd be better off correlating it with "1st release software buggy"

But newer software usually has higher running requirements.

Give me a break.  Apple knows what they are doing.

And... this proves what, exactly?

The older IPhones becoming slower is not a deliberate action by Apple. It is simply due to the fact that the newer IOS versions are designed for newer hardware in mind. It is as simple as that.

Yet another tin foil hat conspiracy that people keep falling for... has the anti-Apple fear mongering sunken this low?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

applesluts

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

And... this proves what, exactly?

The older IPhones becoming slower is not a deliberate action by Apple. It is simply due to the fact that the newer IOS versions are designed for newer hardware in mind. It is as simple as that.

Yet another tin foil hat conspiracy that people keep falling for... has the anti-Apple fear mongering sunken this low?

It is an OS on a gosh darn phone.  I don't think they change that much in that devices should be so sluggish from year to year.  Guaranteed they are gimping devices.

What a click bait worthy article. Where is the documented proof? Hard numbers? 

No duh putting a newer OS on holder hardware causes slowdowns. You don't put Windows 7 on a machine designed and built for XP (and not upgrade it at all) and then complain that the machine got slower. Despite iOS being a mobile OS, it doesn't get to go around the laws of outdated hardware simply being less capable than newer hardware.

You need a tin foil hat? I think you need one. 

Jesus, why don't you just ask @Slick to open up a "Apple Hate" sub forum here, so you can get it all of your system.