Apple up to no good? They could possibly be intentionally slowing down older devices.

DeViLzzz

I'm on ad low income like below the poverty line. I get my stuff by being smart selling my shit while it has value and saving like a bitch. After 2 years apple owe me nothing my ipad has served its purpose and it's time for to move on. If you can't afford a new ipad......suck it up that's not apples fault and to be honest they don't owe you one either. It's like poor people moaning about not been able to afford a Porsche. Live to your means if you can't afford a new ipad cope with what you have or buy a cheaper tab don't expect apple to support your model for the next 5 years

Who the hell said I had an iPad? I can barely afford to buy a fucking 2 liter of Coke most of the time. That's why I was smart and took up the offers for donations for my rig.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What a bunch of idiots claiming that Apple intentionally degrade the performance,

Please don't start your post by insulting anyone who don't believe the same thing you do.

First, the whole slowing down things has only happened twice, iPhone 3G and 4, but they also had significantly worse hardware compared to their successors namely the 3GS and the 4S.

3G had 128MB RAM while 3GS had 256MB RAM. iOS 4 brought multitasking and wallpaper support which NEEDS more RAM, hence the slowness and the only way to fix it was to remove it

iOS 7 was a significant update. There were more animations, transitions and overall needed more graphical horsepower. Again the 4 had a single core processor while all its successors had a dual core processor with 7x more graphics power which again justifies what happened. And even after the update, they actually spent time optimizing it on old hardware and gave a huge performance boost in iOS 7.1 update

The search results indicates that it has happened 6 times actually. After each new version of iOS ever since the iPhone 3G was launched.

It has also happened with updates you didn't mentioned. For example Linus' iPhone became unusably slow after some update (iOS 5 maybe?).

And even if they were crippling performance, you think people wouldn't notice. My friends have S4 and they're done with Samsung because of its poor performance

But people have noticed. That's what the article was all about. The last part is just an anecdote as well. Completely meaningless.

"What a bunch of idiots!"

"Before you start talking out your ass"

"applesluts"

Just some fine examples of the amazing maturity that accompanies every single Apple related thread.

I was referring to freaking website that was in the post

Please don't start your post by insulting anyone who don't believe the same thing you do.

The search results indicates that it has happened 6 times actually. After each new version of iOS ever since the iPhone 3G was launched.

It has also happened with updates you didn't mentioned. For example Linus' iPhone became unusably slow after some update (iOS 5 maybe?).

But people have noticed. That's what the article was all about. The last part is just an anecdote as well. Completely meaningless.

I wasn't insulting the LTT members but the website

The 3G was an underpowerd phone, that's why the launched the 3GS with much better specs to aid future software updates. Sometimes optimizations errors could happen, but the point is they fixed it with later updates and no iOS device with latest update performs unbearably slow and sluggish

No, android fanboys and/or sworn apple haters have made it up. Many people I know uses iPhone and are immensely satisfied with it. The only reason they shift is because of the screen, customizability and cost but not because of lack of performcance

I was referring to freaking website that was in the post

Hey I'm all for bashing a company you disagree with but you could at least try to 1) Make it clear that's what you mean and 2) Make it a some sort of joke, even if lame, not just vitriol. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Clearly you are troll.  I put up a topic which stated Apple was up to no good and the article that is trying to support that fact.  Simple as that.  Stop being rude and stop trolling.

-sigh- 

All I asked is for some solid evidence, and then you call me a "troll". "trying to support that fact"? Well, let's look at this for a minute. What makes it a fact? Random people talking about it in the internet? Or is it backed by a collection of scientific theses? Because what you provided falls into the former case, which is not factual, just anecdotal.

If you are not able to bring some information to back your OP, and instead resort to calling other people names, then your side of this argument is defeated. Now YOU are the one trolling here, as you are not even defending your own argument. At this point, the more you argue with me, the more you prove MY arguments instead.

If you continue to talk here in this tone of language, then do not bother talking. Especially when you are not answering other people's questions.

Like I said, this is not as big of a deal as you (and others) are making it out to be. This is par for the course in software development. This argument is the same as "deliberately gimping WOW against my Windows XP machine from 2003". When you look at the overall context of the main message, you will realize that it is indeed a baseless argument, and made for the sake of hating Apple.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

We can very easily confirm that iDevices do indeed slow down dramatically with some of the newer devices, especially the iPhone 4S and back. Whether or not this was the purpose of the update, a bad but avoidable consqeuence (i.e. they know it slows down the phone, but don't want to waste resources on optimisations), or a completely unavoidable one is up for debate.

Apple is one of the largest tech companies in the world, with a huge focus on user experience, so I highly doubt it was possible for the lag / slowness to not be noted by some of their engineers. Personally I'd be thinking it was the second proposition; that it's avoidable but not worth the effort for them to fix.

Anyway, to those denying or justifying it, I'd point to Google's updates of Android. Many of their latest updates for Android boast significant boosts in order to run on lower end hardware, with KitKat lowering memory requirements, and L decreasing the frequency and duration of pauses during garbage collection. True, Google's intentions are to get their OS on as much hardware as possible, while Apple's is to sell more hardware (and handicapping older devices would certainly help with that) but the point still stands.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

We can very easily confirm that iDevices do indeed slow down dramatically with some of the newer devices, especially the iPhone 4S and back. Whether or not this was the purpose of the update, a bad but avoidable consqeuence (i.e. they know it slows down the phone, but don't want to waste resources on optimisations), or a completely unavoidable one is up for debate.

Apple is one of the largest tech companies in the world, with a huge focus on user experience, so I highly doubt it was possible for the lag / slowness to not be noted by some of their engineers. Personally I'd be thinking it was the second proposition; that it's avoidable but not worth the effort for them to fix.

Anyway, to those denying or justifying it, I'd point to Google's updates of Android. Many of their latest updates for Android boast significant boosts in order to run on lower end hardware, with KitKat lowering memory requirements, and L decreasing the frequency and duration of pauses during garbage collection. True, Google's intentions are to get their OS on as much hardware as possible, while Apple's is to sell more hardware (and handicapping older devices would certainly help with that) but the point still stands.

Even before they focused on more efficient code like now, they decided fragmentation was preferable to forced obsolescence on devices that worked fine with say, Gingerbread, but would just crawl with Jelly Bean. It should be obvious from Apple's business model that is in their best interest to just sell you new hardware since they make a lot of profit from it, however the market can only bear that so much there's a reason why Google has overtaken the smart phone market: they're willing to target all sectors while Apple just try to push as many people as they can into the premium experience but that's a formula doomed to fail.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Who the hell said I had an iPad? I can barely afford to buy a fucking 2 liter of Coke most of the time. That's why I was smart and took up the offers for donations for my rig.

errr

It was obvious on an iPad 2 going from iOS 5 to iOS 7.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

NEWS: Game Developers are releasing new games that deliberately make your old graphics cards useless.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

NEWS: Game Developers are releasing new games that deliberately make your old graphics cards useless.

Actually the opposite is true here: Check the minimum requirements and looks of modern games today: their minimum pretty much look as good as the maximum from a few years back and they're fairly good at keeping all new features modulars to match any level of performance the user might have. This is the opposite of what apple is (allegedly) doing here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

In other news, the Pope continues to shit in the woods, and all bears are still Catholic

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Actually the opposite is true here: Check the minimum requirements and looks of modern games today: their minimum pretty much look as good as the maximum from a few years back and they're fairly good at keeping all new features modulars to match any level of performance the user might have. This is the opposite of what apple is (allegedly) doing here.

I meant it more as a joke than an honest argument but the thing is when your graphics card stops running new games properly you either stop playing new games or you upgrade. In this scenario, not giving the choice of not updating is the problem. Also I'm guessing iOS releases don't come with minimum requirements do they?

If they are in fact slowing down older devices on purpose, that obviously sucks. If it's a simple case of old hardware not keeping up with new software though, then I'd much rather have them give a below-average experience in their old devices than handicap newer/better devices (a la Watch Dogs) to help out older ones.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

errr

I never said it was my iPad.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Mark my words that apple will follow sony's footsteps and crash even harder along with their overpriced iphones/itablets because of these stupid practices, the competition is already mind blowing,what wil they make money from mac book's? lawl... if it werent for fanboys apple would be long dead.

Companies that stay busy trolling others and dont reinvent themselves in time fall quickly

isn't this old news?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised of other companies did the same, might explain why you need to defrag your HDD with windows every now and then.

That's entirely a function of the architectural-differences between Unix and Windows. Unix fixes fragmentation almost automatically while idling and isn't susceptible to large patches of it accruing. Then there's the registry paradigm problems and other things Microsoft tried to make Unix-like while being able to sell it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Now if only the programming was up to snuff. Multiple code paths is not a difficult concept to implement. You implement the optimal case of existing top-end hardware, and then for lesser processors you condense/combine some of the paths (via a small handful of if-statements) to make longer ones from the same raw amount of code. Why is it game makers seem to be the major programming sector which skipped the high-performance computing and parallel computing courses? Intro to multithreaded servers does not count.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Waht are you doing apple? that's samsungs job~ <_< i'm dissapointed

Details separate people.

Mark my words that apple will follow sony's footsteps and crash even harder along with their overpriced iphones/itablets because of these stupid practices, the competition is already mind blowing,what wil they make money from mac book's? lawl... if it werent for fanboys apple would be long dead.

Companies that stay busy trolling others and dont reinvent themselves in time fall quickly

And yet it has the most beautiful growth curve in the stock market of any company in history. 

There are a few rules in the computing business world:

Never count IBM, Microsoft, Intel, Nvidia, Sun, or Oracle out.

Tech is obsolete in 4 years.

Your upgrade is always a day early and dollar too expensive (the macbook pro retina I purchased in the first week of July is a great example, needed for developing my Master's Thesis application cross-platform, with Apple releasing a refresh $200 cheaper with 200 MHz more on core speed).

AMD will eventually die, at which point Intel is split in half via its licensing contract with IBM to make x86 architecture, or it dies vis a vis the former clause, potentially bringing the death of x86).

Can't say i'm the least bit surprised

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

AMD will eventually die, at which point Intel is split in half via its licensing contract with IBM to make x86 architecture, or it dies vis a vis the former clause, potentially bringing the death of x86).

It's not a licensing contract it was a second supply contract, and it doesn't exist anymore.  that is why AMD have to pay royalties to intel.  there is no legal requirement for intel or anyone to provide a second source of x86 processors anymore.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Knew this already. But yeah this really sucks. Unless us you know android pleb kings. We got custom roms for that. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

It's not a licensing contract it was a second supply contract, and it doesn't exist anymore.  that is why AMD have to pay royalties to intel.  there is no legal requirement for intel or anyone to provide a second source of x86 processors anymore.

According to the U.S. patent office IBM still owns any and all intellectual property rights associated with x86 and its distribution. I believe what AMD pays Intel for is microcircuit interconnect technology.

http://www.eteknix.com/apple-reportedly-slowing-down-older-devices/

New research reportedly shows that Apple could be slowing down older devices when releasing new ones in an effort to prompt users buying the latest model.

For more information go to the article provided by eTeknix.

'Research' and 'Google search numbers' aren't exactly the same thing.

They still make quality devices though. my ipod 2nd or 3rd gen which I STILL use, has been dropped countless times screen to the floor, its covered in scratches and dents, and this thing still works. I am amazed. Granted it is a very low spec device with no quick app switching or multitasking but, it does the job and it has lasted about 5-6 years.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270