Microsoft makes it even harder to change your default browser

AMDKilla

Summary

Microsoft is now blocking changes to the default browser at a driver level. The driver cannot be removed, and if disabled will be re-enabled upon system restart.

Quotes

Microsoft is now using a Windows driver to prevent users from changing the configured Windows 10 and Windows 11 default browser through software or by manually modifying the Registry.

Windows users can still change their default browser through the Windows settings. However, those who utilized software to make the changes are now blocked by a driver quietly introduced to users worldwide as part of the February updates for Windows 10 (KB5034763) and Windows 11 (KB5034765).

My thoughts

It is speculated that Microsoft have introduced this to comply with the European Digital Markets Act in order to stop shady practices of other browsers being able to make themselves the default browser outside of Windows Settings. However this driver has been spotted on machines outside of the EU, so that casts doubt on that theory.

Having seen Microsoft make Edge worse and worse in terms of dark patterns and trying to force everyone to use Edge, I feel this is actually yet another mechanism to prevent people switching.

While not being able to change the default browser anywhere other than in the Windows Settings panel is good to prevent hijacking by other browsers or by malware, its an extra step that those who arent that tech savvy may not realise they have to take. Yet another hurdle in the path to using a 3rd party browser.

its worth noting that the same applies to file type associations including .pdf

Sources

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/new-windows-driver-blocks-software-from-changing-default-web-browser/

I'm on the fence about this. Software that can make itself the default, is a security risk. But I feel MS reasons are not pure.

Given that it's only the more tech-savvy users installing 3rd party browsers, I don't think it's much of an issue.

can't wait until all new motherboards start coming with TPM-E (To power, Microsoft Edge) chips

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

I'm currently using it as default. Also it's separated from OS now for updates and how it's integrated so it can be uninstalled too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, John Reactor said:

It seems that current Microsoft`s menagment forgot lessons from previous browser wars.
Oh well.
"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it"

"But sir, this is completely different!

See, that browser was Internet Explorer. This is Microsoft Edge."

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

I liked MS Edge when it first came out, I kinda hate it now though. I appreciate that it uses the chromium engine, but I hate all the crap MS has added to it. I just want a plain browser to start. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The idea that this is to comply with the DMA doesn't make much sense. The DMA, if anything, would require them to make it easier to change the browser. Not harder. 

This is just Microsoft trying to block programs from making it easy for users to change their default browser. They want it to require as many clicks as possible. 

Firefox and Brave found a way to set themselves as the default without having to go through the defaults app settings page (where Microsoft asks you multiple time if you are reeeally sure you don't want Edge as the default). Instead in Firefox and Brave you just had to click, inside the programs, "set this as my default browser", similar to how it worked before Windows 10.

Microsoft doesn't want to make it easy for users to change. They will say that they do it for security reasons, but that is bullshit. They time and time again try and make it hard to change. Even if there was some legitimacy to their security argument (which I personally don't think there is), it's pretty clear that security isn't their driving motivator. It's control and making people use Edge (and Bing) that is. 

11 hours ago, AMDKilla said:

stop shady practices of other browsers being able to make themselves the default browser outside of Windows Settings

Yeah sure, it isnt like they made that an exclusive feature of edge........ 🤣 And shady? Thats rich coming from the ppl who made a browser that silently steals profiles without authorization.

14 hours ago, AMDKilla said:

stop shady practices of other browsers being able to make themselves the default browser outside of Windows Settings

Ah yes, how dare these shady browsers change default settings...

Any other app you will see a screen popup asking if you want to make that your default app. But browsers? Nope. You need to manually configure it. It's bullshit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Any other app you will see a screen popup asking if you want to make that your default app. But browsers? Nope. You need to manually configure it. It's bullshit.

Cause browsers and AV products change it, but more to the point, other things have hijacked the "default browser" setting to intercept links you open from your email clients.

Like OTP logins.

22 hours ago, AMDKilla said:

Summary

Microsoft is now blocking changes to the default browser at a driver level. The driver cannot be removed, and if disabled will be re-enabled upon system restart.

Quotes

My thoughts

It is speculated that Microsoft have introduced this to comply with the European Digital Markets Act in order to stop shady practices of other browsers being able to make themselves the default browser outside of Windows Settings. However this driver has been spotted on machines outside of the EU, so that casts doubt on that theory.

Having seen Microsoft make Edge worse and worse in terms of dark patterns and trying to force everyone to use Edge, I feel this is actually yet another mechanism to prevent people switching.

While not being able to change the default browser anywhere other than in the Windows Settings panel is good to prevent hijacking by other browsers or by malware, its an extra step that those who arent that tech savvy may not realise they have to take. Yet another hurdle in the path to using a 3rd party browser.

its worth noting that the same applies to file type associations including .pdf

Sources

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/new-windows-driver-blocks-software-from-changing-default-web-browser/

this doesn't make much sense because you can uninstall edge officially in eu,  so at least the framing here is super sus.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

my chrome asked me if i want it as default tho....

i wouldn't call clicking "yes" manually configuring.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Brave and Firefox were able to prompt you to change it within their apps because they had reverse engineered the hashing algorithm used to prevent it previously. With this new driver level block, that will no longer work.

The only thing that would make this okay in my mind is if they added a browser choice menu to the OOBE when you install both Windows afresh or when installing the update. Samsung/Google have managed it in Android 14. But instead I would imagine Microsoft will default to pushing OneDrive and Office365 subscriptions, and pinning shortcuts to CandyCrush to the start menu

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

my chrome asked me if i want it as default tho....

i wouldn't call clicking "yes" manually configuring.  

Chrome asks you, but if you click yes it won't just set itself as the default. All it will do is launch the settings page where you can manually change the default browser, after Windows has asked you if you are really, really sure that you don't want to keep Edge as the default. 

In previous versions of Windows, when a browser launched it could ask you if you wanted it as the default. If you clicked yes, then that was it. The browser would change settings in the OS so you didn't have to.

Nowadays, if you click yes, you get a popup with the default app page. From there you can navigate to Chrome and then set it to "set as default browser", and that will make it the default for some but not all things Edge would otherwise be the default for.

This is a non-issue. You can still change the default browser in the Windows Settings UI. Alternatively, setting by GPO should work as that's also an official method for deploying and enforcing OS level changes throughout an enterprise network.

Remember, there are many ways to hack and modify Windows; and then there's the official "Microsoft way". MS is limiting to just their way, but there still is a way to change the browser defaults nonetheless.

Honestly changing settings like this through outside software seems really uncomfy to me in the first place. 

This actually doesn't seem like Microsoft trying to shove edge down your throat as much as it is trying to minimize security risks. 

Personally I don't think any outside software should be messing with any of your settings period. 

I'm usually as lost as you are

image.png.84f424a1ef7c0dc18126c2bb2ea861fe.png

Windows 11 is like Oprah, "Everyone get more clicks!" 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

They must have forgotten about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrowserChoice.eu

This is also a clear violation of the DSA regulations, so they WILL get fined for it and forced to revert the changes.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/8/2024 at 11:38 AM, Monkey Dust said:

Given that it's only the more tech-savvy users installing 3rd party browsers, I don't think it's much of an issue.

Although it's less common today, it still happens where when you install one piece of software, a browser or security software is included in the installation. AND, if the person installing isn't paying attention it's easy for this to make itself the primary browser 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

The User Choice Protection Driver also blocks you being able to set your device "in the EU" by protecting the DeviceRegion registry key, thus preventing you from uninstalling Edge if you're not in the EU.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

thus preventing you from uninstalling Edge if you're not in the EU.

Did they even developed the removal removed the artificial locks? None of the windows machines i manage allows it........

Who knows, maybe in Windows 12 they will remove Edge. Because the new way will be browsing from the Explorer.exe search bar.

Why have a separate browser when it's part of the OS?

Spoiler

Yes, a horrible wretched cyber security nightmare waiting to happen. That won't stop the marketdroids from trying.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:54 PM, darknessblade said:

They must have forgotten about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrowserChoice.eu

This is also a clear violation of the DSA regulations, so they WILL get fined for it and forced to revert the changes.

its either that or an extremely misleading clickbait title,  i cant  decide,  and i have a feeling we'll never find out lol.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/12/2024 at 1:45 AM, StDragon said:

Who knows, maybe in Windows 12 they will remove Edge. Because the new way will be browsing from the Explorer.exe search bar.

Why have a separate browser when it's part of the OS?

Hide contents

Yes, a horrible wretched cyber security nightmare waiting to happen. That won't stop the marketdroids from trying.

that's something i could totally see Microsoft doing (for security!!!) but you'll still be able to install browsers (most likely?)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity