10 Years of the LTT Forum

colonel_mortis

I am surprised how the forums or forums style are still thriving, even those that never updated their looks and scream 2008 or 2005 Even LTT is not the most modern looking, I would thought it would all look like Slack or Discord but with the layout a forum by now. More or less like the Kiwi forum(purely talking style and layout) Or at least Reddit looking. At worst Quora. 

1 minute ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

I am surprised how the forums or forums style are still thriving, even those that never updated their looks and scream 2008 or 2005 Even LTT is not the most modern looking, I would thought it would all look like Slack or Discord but with the layout be like a forum by now. More or less like the Kiwi(purely talking style and layout) forum. Or at least Reddit looking. At worst Quora. 

BTW, there isn't an official LTT website

2 minutes ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

BTW, there isn't an official LTT website

This forum IS the official LTT website. If you're talking about Linus Media Group as a whole there's linusmediagroup.com. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

This forum IS the official LTT website. If you're talking about Linus Media Group as a whole there's linusmediagroup.com. 

Yeah, I mean more in the traditional sense. The site is more corporate, nothing wrong just though there would a in between, a forum and a website that is fan facing. 

What day did the forums officially go up, the 4th? I guess I never realized I had joined the second day the forums were open.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 hour ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Yeah, I mean more in the traditional sense. The site is more corporate, nothing wrong just though there would a in between, a forum and a website that is fan facing. 

The fan facing site is the forum 😉

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Vanderburg said:

2 digit member ID gang, checking in!

👀

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

On 1/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, colonel_mortis said:

The forum has come a long way from the incredibly unstable VBulletin 5 beta that we started out with in 2013, and I hope you will agree that it looks far better today than it did back then:

IDK man, the mighty blue theme was peak LTT forum. 😉

And dear god, this year will mark me being on the forum for 10 years as well... Where has the time gone.

image.png.17a2e4d5d2409ca51e564c6c91060077.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

23 hours ago, Levent said:

Shout-out to Glenwing for managing to keep a screenshot for a decade lol.

Unfortunately this tendency of mine is also equally strong with things that take up actual space, like hardware. You don't want to see my monitor collection :3

Anyway, I took these screenshots as part of a demo of a vBulletin 5 bug in which all URLs in a post would become broken any time the post was edited. They're actually pretty golden, they perfectly capture the vBulletin 5 experience. Here's the other one I took:

Screenshot from 2023-01-03 08-36-04.png

Also note at this point in time the classic Canadian lineage of the forum was still quite evident, with every maintenance announcement ending in "sorry about that".

6 hours ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

I am surprised how the forums or forums style are still thriving, even those that never updated their looks and scream 2008 or 2005 Even LTT is not the most modern looking, I would thought it would all look like Slack or Discord but with the layout a forum by now.

Both of those are made to look like some of the more popular IRC clients. Slack and Teams with added feature of starting threads within channels. So thats "modern" look...

6 hours ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

More or less like the Kiwi forum(purely talking style and layout) Or at least Reddit looking. At worst Quora. 

Of those I've only seen more of Reddit, which looks like 4chan in style. vBulletin had more of that style with every post having possibility to start subthreads. Which imo makes them messy to follow.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I didn't realize that I joined in the first 6 months of this forums existence. I assumed I was late to the party. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

P67

It's a shame Intel doesn't make P series chipsets anymore.

There were a lot of nice P67 boards so you could overclock on the budget (Unlike Intel's B series chipsets).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

It's a shame Intel doesn't make P series chipsets anymore.

There were a lot of nice P67 boards so you could overclock on the budget (Unlike Intel's B series chipsets).

That board was a beast. I don't think the z series was around yet at the time I believe and started with the z77 if I'm not mistaken? I am likely very very wrong on this though without time to research it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Already 10 years eh.  To think I joined within 2 weeks of the forum's creation and I barely have any posts compared to some of the newer members.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That board was a beast. I don't think the z series was around yet at the time I believe and started with the z77 if I'm not mistaken? I am likely very very wrong on this though without time to research it. 

At the time Z68 was the high end chipset, P67 was the medium end chipset and H61 was the low end chipset

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

14 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

IPB 3.x

That brings back memories - I used to be a programmer working on IPB forum systems doing all sorts of modifications at the request of the customer.

At that time i could pretty much rewrite the entire code and add my personal touch to it with nice changes and additions that the stock code didn't have.

I have a prototype of my last project running on a local network with virtual machine so i can show you 😄

image.thumb.png.362c9c8b17529a940e519dbaa64878bb.png

❤️

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Wow, very cool. I don't do much with forums, but I have had fun looking around and decided to finally create an account last month.

Awesome! I was usually just hanging out looking for some solutions here and there...I think this is the only forum I am still a member of xD

Forums in this day and age are a dying breed yet I still spend more time here than on Discord even after all these years. I love how it's still active here and there are still new people joining.