LG Announces World's First 27 inch OLED Monitor (1440p, 240hz, $999)

Deadpool2onBlu-Ray

Summary

LG just announced the "27GR95QE-B". A 27 inch, 1440p, 240hz OLED monitor releasing next spring priced at $999.

Quotes

LG has announced a 27-inch Ultragrar gaming monitor. Sporting an OLED panel, 240Hz refresh rate, and a 1440p resolution, it has some heads turning. 

My thoughts

This is my dream monitor, straight up. Been waiting Y E A R S for 27-32 inch OLED monitors. Could care less about burn-in. There are prevention methods you can use. Auto hide taskbar etc. Just have to wait for it to drop in price now.

Sources

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/lg-unveils-ultragear-27-inch-240hz-oled-monitor-1990829/

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

I still would be hesitant to buy a monitor for 1000 dollars that could potentially be ruined from burn in a shirt amount of time. For 1000 dollars I expect the monitor to last and I wouldn't want to be an early adopter to see if they somehow improved the oled panel enough to prevent burnin 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I still would be hesitant to buy a monitor for 1000 dollars that could potentially be ruined from burn in a shirt amount of time. For 1000 dollars I expect the monitor to last and I wouldn't want to be an early adopter to see if they somehow improved the oled panel enough to prevent burnin 

Yeah of course, way above my price range either way. Besides, I would rather have a QD-OLED from Dell etc. with burn-in warranty. But this is a a step in the right direction at least

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

There were already posts about it. 

But yes good to see. Need more monitors now hoping CES will reveal number of them especially QD ones.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

No.

Why? They are clearly available in all large sizes and LG has a 32" one although 4K/60Hz (very nice for productivity): https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32ep950

So what exactly is challenging/innovative in producing smaller-than-before OLED displays?

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Why? They are clearly available in all large sizes and LG has a 32" one although 4K/60Hz (very nice for productivity): https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32ep950

So what exactly is challenging/innovative in producing smaller-than-before OLED displays?

Nothing, manufacturers just haven't done it yet due to yields 

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

I mean it is 1440p 240hz so it's not like it's the same as 4k 60hz 

Finally a middle ground oled! 27inch 1440p is likely the sweetspot for gaming before hitting 32inch 4k or ultrawide.

At a grand it has pretty stiff competition with ROG and Viewsonic 27inch 240hz but for the price you can get a pair of 165hz monitors or a trio of 144hz ones (not oled of course)

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

19 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Sure, they were available. If you'd want to spend $3000 on a 60Hz monitor aimed at professionals. Other than OLED TV's there was simply no option for gamers that don't want a >42" monitor.

The innovation is price and refresh rate. Other than a few laptop displays there just haven't been OLED dispalys with this refresh rate. OLED is basically perfect for gaming with it's inherent advantages, which is why LG's smaller OLED TV's are popular monitor choices atm.

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Finally.

The more companies jump onto OLED, the lower prices will get. I'm in as soon as the hit 800€, but QD OLED please. Not a fan of burn in.

Remember, so far we only know that QD-OLED is supposed to be more resistant to burn in based on Samsung's and Dell's claims. There are no actual long-term user reports yet to confirm or deny these claims.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

The innovation is price and refresh rate. Other than a few laptop displays there just haven't been OLED dispalys with this refresh rate. OLED is basically perfect for gaming with it's inherent advantages, which is why LG's smaller OLED TV's are popular monitor choices atm.

So the big news according to the title are "first 27" OLED" and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the availability of a smaller screen size being news-worthy.

The 4K 60Hz 32" I linked is sold for around 2k$ while this new one seems to be 1k$.

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

OLED is basically perfect for gaming with it's inherent advantages

Then I really don't get why no manufacturer so far has released a 27" OLED, seems like leaving easy money on the table?

Also, if OPs demand indeed only was

On 11/21/2022 at 8:28 PM, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Been waiting Y E A R S for 27-32 inch OLED monitors.

then there has been a 32" option available for quite some time.

But people seem to enjoy reacting "funny" to my question instead of explaining what the duck is actually going on 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

So the big news according to the title are "first 27" OLED" and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the availability of a smaller screen size being news-worthy.

The 4K 60Hz 32" I linked is sold for around 2k$ while this new one seems to be 1k$.

The 32EP950 was $3000 when it was first released. Again, the innovation is not the screen size alone, but the combination of a normal-sized monitor combined with a high refresh rate fitting for gaming. So far you only had a normal sized 60Hz display OR a huge 120Hz display.

Then I really don't get why no manufacturer so far has released a 27" OLED, seems like leaving easy money on the table?

Mostly manufacturing limitations with mass-manufactured OLED panels. LG's OLED TV's have gradually gotten smaller sizes with new generations. Now they're at a point where pixel density is good enough for 27" 1440p, so they did it.

The main reason why it's news worthy is because OLED is currently the best display technology and the main reason it wasn't wide spread in the monitor market was the fact that they started at 42" and bigger, which is simply too big for many users.

Plus, this new monitor will help drive prices down for the whole market. No one is going to be able to sell 1440p 240Hz LCD monitors anywhere close to $999 anymore. They will need to get significantly cheaper.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

this sounds interesting enough, though can't remember the last time i've turned on my monitor 😛

If they'd cut down the refresh rate to lower the cost, i'd be more interested

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm more interested in seeing what LG charges for it's 8k ultra-wide 😂

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Mostly manufacturing limitations with mass-manufactured OLED panels. LG's OLED TV's have gradually gotten smaller sizes with new generations. Now they're at a point where pixel density is good enough for 27" 1440p, so they did it.

The main reason why it's news worthy is because OLED is currently the best display technology and the main reason it wasn't wide spread in the monitor market was the fact that they started at 42" and bigger, which is simply too big for many users.

So key here is increased pixel density which was a problem before?

The 32EP950 was $3000 when it was first released.

Yeah, when it was released, but not now.

Again, the innovation is not the screen size alone, but the combination of a normal-sized monitor combined with a high refresh rate fitting for gaming.

I get the HRR thing, although in the title this only comes in parentheses, from there the focus/big news seems to be the small screen size. However as stated above if pixel density was a problem before then I now get why it is new (although, doesn't the 32" 4K panel have a significantly higher pixel density already?).

My next monitor upgrade will be when there is a 4k-5k 32" 120hz QD OLED for 1k€(if burn in claims are true)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

51 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

So key here is increased pixel density which was a problem before?

Mostly, yes. If you want to be exact the key is that one of the most produced OLED panel type is now able to hit these pixel density numbers, so these kind of monitors can be mass produced. LG Display is by far the biggest OLED panel manufacturer and their manufacturing capacity is far greater than the likes of JOLED (who makes the low-volume and high-cost 4K 32" panel you're talking about)

51 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

(although, doesn't the 32" 4K panel have a significantly higher pixel density already?).

The 32" 4K panel used a completely different OLED technology that allowed for this kind of pixel density. But the production of these panels is extremely expensive, hence the high price. The manufacturer JOLED is also constantly rumored to go out of business.

27" is an odd size for a computer monitor.

It's right in the middle between monitors and TVs,

It's a hybrid of both.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

20 minutes ago, Vishera said:

27" is an odd size for a computer monitor.

It's actually a main stream size. There are tons of 60Hz productivity displays. 27" 1440p is a perfect office choice, fits lots of content without said content being tiny and the monitors are rather cheap, can be had for around 300USD.

It's actually a main stream size. There are tons of 60Hz productivity displays. 27" 1440p is a perfect office choice, fits lots of content without said content being tiny and the monitors are rather cheap, can be had for around 300USD.

27" is a niche market...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

22 minutes ago, Vishera said:

27" is a niche market...

I really don't know where you pull this from, it's straight out wrong.

Newegg has literally over 1300 27" monitors in their store:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160979 600030620&PageSize=96

It's as mainstream market as it gets. The cheapest 1440p ones can be had for under 200$, and 240$ currently gets you even a 1440p 144Hz panel, for 10$ more the Samsung G5 Odyssey. That's also not really a surprise as 27" is sort of a perfect middle ground between 24" (too small) and 32" (too large).

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160979 600030620 600012694&PageSize=96&Order=0

image.thumb.png.8b910b13bf087357469eae29413e76fe.png