LG Announces World's First 27 inch OLED Monitor (1440p, 240hz, $999)

Deadpool2onBlu-Ray
On 11/27/2022 at 12:41 AM, Origami Cactus said:

People also have an OLED smartphone and scroll the same few apps like 16h a day, and no burnin, but suddely a pc that is on 4h a day, and burnin is a concern?

In my personal anecdote, I see burn in on demo unit AMOLED smartphones... many years ago.

In fact, the only times when I see burn in is on 2015 phones that have been used for way longer.

So basically, time did play a role in improving OLED technology to a point where burn in becomes unlikely. 2015's OLEDs are no match for 2022's.

However, I'm still on the fence on OLED displays because of price, so yeah, I still didn't use OLEDs often yet.

GPUs aren't the only things that has a bullshit price right now. 

Did you guys know that OLED was invented in 1987?

3 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

GPUs aren't the only things that has a bullshit price right now.

As long as it has decent brightness you're looking at potentially the best overall gaming monitor out there. Of course the best won't be the value king. If you only care about 240Hz, but don't care about OLED's black levels, HDR capabilities or pixel response times, you can get a 27" 1440p 240Hz IPS monitor for $400.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:49 AM, TOMPPIX said:

Did you guys know that OLED was invented in 1987?

“Did you guys know that the transistor was invented in 1947?”

the year something was invented has no impact on how much it costs to produce the modern version. OLED panels have had historically really bad yields and are really difficult to manufacture in general. That means a high cost to consumers

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

IMO this is way too expensive for an OLED monitor, and with no burn in guarantee I'd be hesitant to spend that much on an OLED when it could have burn in after a few years. Also a 48" LG OLED TV is usually less than $1000, the pricing on this is ridiculous for a 27" panel.

25 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO this is way too expensive for an OLED monitor, and with no burn in guarantee I'd be hesitant to spend that much on an OLED when it could have burn in after a few years. Also a 48" LG OLED TV is usually less than $1000, the pricing on this is ridiculous for a 27" panel.

This is the crux of it for me. I know PC monitors are somewhat different than TV's, but for the price point, I think most people are gonna opt for a TV at that point, making this super niche. Still, hopefully a sign of future versions that will be more affordable.