LG Announces World's First 27 inch OLED Monitor (1440p, 240hz, $999)

Deadpool2onBlu-Ray
3 hours ago, BabaGanuche said:

27" is about I big as I would ever want on a normal desk. I have have various larger monitor through work and not want anything larger than 27 on normal desks.

Yes, 27" is the perfect middle ground - that's why you put two of them next to each other 😉

JOLED can simply fuck off and pack up. Since january 2018 or somewhere in 2017 and still very low volume and expensive. Eizo Foris Nova and Asus PQ22UC both 21.6" at €5000... Of course no one is waiting for such absurdly priced monitors. 

Personally 27" is the max. I hope LG will also release glossy screen version but I doubt that. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, CTR640 said:

JOLED can simply fuck off and pack up. Since january 2018 or somewhere in 2017 and still very low volume and expensive. Eizo Foris Nova and Asus PQ22UC both 21.6" at €5000... Of course no one is waiting for such absurdly priced monitors. 

Personally 27" is the max. I hope LG will also release glossy screen version but I doubt that. 

I hope they at least go with a semi-matte coating. Going full matte like with their IPS monitors will severely impact this OLED's picture quality.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Genuinely think this would be a great gaming monitor for me... But I'd be really concerned about burn in for a productivity monitor

Here's hoping the QD-OLED manufacturers accept that not all of us want extreme girth on our displays.

17 hours ago, BabaGanuche said:

27" is about I big as I would ever want on a normal desk. I have have various larger monitor through work and not want anything larger than 27 on normal desks.

Same. I have a 28" Samsung 4k/60hz monitor for working on, and honestly I just don't feel that anything bigger makes any sense at all unless I'd be sitting further away from it.

As a Mac user, the 27" Studio display was almost a perfect option for me - apart from the crap webcam, the lack of sensible things like an Ethernet port, and the $1600 price tag 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Paul Thexton said:

Same. I have a 28" Samsung 4k/60hz monitor for working on, and honestly I just don't feel that anything bigger makes any sense at all unless I'd be sitting further away from it.

As a Mac user, the 27" Studio display was almost a perfect option for me - apart from the crap webcam, the lack of sensible things like an Ethernet port, and the $1600 price tag 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

>40" 4K displays make more sense when it comes to productivity. There you can snap one window to each corner and use low scaling so you can use it like 4 1080p displays. I doubt a 32" 4K monitor would help with productivity compared to a 27" 4K display. These are just too small to replace a multi-monitor setup.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

>40" 4K displays make more sense when it comes to productivity. There you can snap one window to each corner and use low scaling so you can use it like 4 1080p displays. I doubt a 32" 4K monitor would help with productivity compared to a 27" 4K display. These are just too small to replace a multi-monitor setup.

But how do you work on the top two quadrants on such a massive display? It's just too tall IMHO.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

But how do you work on the top two quadrants on such a massive display? It's just too tall IMHO.

It's not as bad as you think. I just wall mounted mine and the center of the display is on my eye level. This is how it looks in my setup. 42" is big, but very useable. I have some hobbyist productivity tasks now and then and so far it's been great working on such a big and high resolution sceen. (For comparison the screen on the right is 24")

image.thumb.jpeg.b7fa32387bc01f5bae62206891a08901.jpeg

Yeah I know of a few people (online and real life) who have switched to 42" monitors and it seems to work well. It did sound huge initially to me as well.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:41 AM, Dracarris said:

I really don't know where you pull this from, it's straight out wrong.

Newegg has literally over 1300 27" monitors in their store:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160979 600030620&PageSize=96

It's as mainstream market as it gets. The cheapest 1440p ones can be had for under 200$, and 240$ currently gets you even a 1440p 144Hz panel, for 10$ more the Samsung G5 Odyssey. That's also not really a surprise as 27" is sort of a perfect middle ground between 24" (too small) and 32" (too large).

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160979 600030620 600012694&PageSize=96&Order=0

image.thumb.png.8b910b13bf087357469eae29413e76fe.png

A lot of offices are still stuck with decade old 22/24 inch 1080p monitors.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I'm one of these poor guys -.-

However even all the 24"-25" monitor combined only gives roughly half the number of SKUs at Newegg compared to 27". So 24" for sure is finally on its way out.

9 hours ago, williamcll said:

Don't you think taking old office monitors into a discussion about current gaming monitor tech is a little irrelevant? Those are completely different target audiences.

Sure, there are still gamers with 22 or 24" main monitors, but nowadays 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS monitors are THE standard when it comes to gaming monitors. And these kind of monitors can be had for $250 which is sure not too much to ask for a decent display imo.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Don't you think taking old office monitors into a discussion about current gaming monitor tech is a little irrelevant? Those are completely different target audiences.

Sure, there are still gamers with 22 or 24" main monitors, but nowadays 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS monitors are THE standard when it comes to gaming monitors. And these kind of monitors can be had for $250 which is sure not too much to ask for a decent display imo.

I'm one of the gamers with a 22" monitor, and for many reasons like the contrast and screen uniformity. Black is not grey like you see that a lot on IPS screens and screen uniformity is near perfect, or just very much perfect so no bleedings. I can simply enjoy movies and games with dark scenes without backlight bleeds.

I've been looking at other monitors for countless of times but I'm very afraid about the backlight bleeds and bad screen uniformity. And Scamsung is not really a monitor I want from because of their horrible QC issues. Glad I didn't buy any so it will be this OLED monitor. I don't really worry about the antiglare panel, I mean, I had two OLED monitor to try out and the contrast is damn amazing. If LG would make 27C2 and 32C2, the monitor market would implode.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

FWIW for those worried about OLED burn in:

I've been using the 48" LG OLED 4k/120 TV as my main monitor on my PC since 2020 and have 0 burn in. I just checked on a blank white screen and a blank grey screen a couple weeks ago because I was curious.

Facts:

This is a monitor that sees a minimum of 10 hours screen on-time every single day of the week with browsing, gaming, office work, etc. It is no exaggeration to say I live, sleep, and eat in front of it.

OLED Light 90%

Contrast 90%

Brightness 50%

Color 80%

all you have to do is set your task bar to auto hide, and set a screen saver for like 15 minutes when idle. I do not feel this is unreasonable(no the screensaver does not come up when consuming full screen content).

It is used as a monitor 100% of the time. I do not use any of the built-in smart/TV functions. It is only a monitor running at 4k/120 via HDMI with Gsync enabled. GPU it is connected to is a 3090. 

My TV has done a total of two(2) pixel refresh cycles in the 2 years I've had it(purchase date 10-2020)

Unless I am somehow extremely lucky, and I think I am a pretty damn extreme usage case, burn in does not happen as easily as you think. This is over 7000 hours of screen on time with no burn in, as I rarely let my PC go idle unless I am cooking or having a shower or something so the screen saver is up for probably less than 1 hour a week. Screen is powered off when I leave the house or go to bed.

On the topic of the monitor, this is actually pretty sick. My buddy was just looking at getting a nice 27"-32" high refresh QHD screen and we were disappointed IPS is basically as good as you can get still and there were no OLEDs.

this is gonna be a pretty big seller I bet. Expensive to be sure, but a lot of people will buy it. Once you go OLED you can't really go back. 

1 hour ago, TigerHawk said:

Once you go OLED you can't really go back. 

I bought a 55” LG C1 a few months ago as main TV after I’d seen on my 14” MacBook what HDR is supposed to look like. Completely agree. Not sure I could stomach going back to an LCD TV now.

Hopefully OLED gets adopted very widely in monitors, specifically because burn in isn't likely on larger screens than smartphones. (QD-OLED phones are not yet feasible until probably half a decade later)

7 minutes ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

Hopefully OLED gets adopted very widely in monitors, specifically because burn in isn't likely on larger screens than smartphones. (QD-OLED phones are not yet feasible until probably half a decade later)

I was under the impression most manufacturers were instead researching into miniled instead since it would be functionally similar but no risk of burn in. I haven't heard anything about the technology in a couple years now, though.

14 hours ago, TigerHawk said:

I was under the impression most manufacturers were instead researching into miniled instead since it would be functionally similar but no risk of burn in. I haven't heard anything about the technology in a couple years now, though.

There are quite a lot of TVs that use that technology that are already on the market. eg. the Samsung Q90B, Hisense U8H, the Sony Bravia X95Kto same but a few.

It's still few in the number of different models, but it should become more prevalent.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

21 hours ago, TigerHawk said:

FWIW for those worried about OLED burn in:

Yeah I also don't get the scare about OLED burn in. Smartwatches and Smartphones have had OLED for a long time now, somewhere between 5-10 years, and no burnin issues.

I had a Huawei Watch 1, Always On display on, so it always showed the same picture, 24h a day, no burn issues over 3-4 years of using it.

People also have an OLED smartphone and scroll the same few apps like 16h a day, and no burnin, but suddely a pc that is on 4h a day, and burnin is a concern?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah I also don't get the scare about OLED burn in. Smartwatches and Smartphones have had OLED for a long time now, somewhere between 5-10 years, and no burnin issues.

I had a Huawei Watch 1, Always On display on, so it always showed the same picture, 24h a day, no burn issues over 3-4 years of using it.

People also have an OLED smartphone and scroll the same few apps like 16h a day, and no burnin, but suddely a pc that is on 4h a day, and burnin is a concern?

Phones are not turned on 24/7 with the same image... a smartphone screen is maybe turned on a tatal of.. 1 or 2 hours a day? Max if you're a heavy user while PC monitors are turned on literally all day if you are one of the people who don't their PC off. Comparing a computer screen with a smartphone or even watch is just stupid.

You go ahead and buy it, nobody's stopping you. We need people like you to finance the R&D so they can release improved versions later anyway. Just don't be shocked if you can spot burn-in after a few years.

I've been using my monitor since 2015 and it is still working completely fine. I cannot imagine buying a monitor that with a shelf life. 

6 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Completely different OLED tech. 
Like how LCDs have TN, VA, and IPS. 
oled has amoled and woled, and now, qdoled.

Phones uses amoled, they do not scale beyond the size of a phone screen, biggest ever for a consumer product is only 10 inches.

57 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Completely different OLED tech. 
Like how LCDs have TN, VA, and IPS. 
oled has amoled and woled, and now, qdoled.

Phones uses amoled, they do not scale beyond the size of a phone screen, biggest ever for a consumer product is only 10 inches.

There is 15.6" AMOLED screens if i'm correct. 

DAC/AMPs:

11 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Phones are not turned on 24/7 with the same image... a smartphone screen is maybe turned on a tatal of.. 1 or 2 hours a day? Max if you're a heavy user while PC monitors are turned on literally all day if you are one of the people who don't their PC off. Comparing a computer screen with a smartphone or even watch is just stupid.

You go ahead and buy it, nobody's stopping you. We need people like you to finance the R&D so they can release improved versions later anyway. Just don't be shocked if you can spot burn-in after a few years.

I've been using my monitor since 2015 and it is still working completely fine. I cannot imagine buying a monitor that with a shelf life. 

All modern phones have always on display like the smartwatches, but I already got my answers. They all use AMOLED, which is not scalable to pc display sizes.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

22 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

You can try reading my post instead of ignoring information that contradicts your opinion...