Adflix - Netlifx to add comercials to subscriptions

Arika

Summary

Normally on a video streaming service, you have to pay to remove ads. In a baffling move, Netflix has decided to ADD ads into their subscription only service. No, they are not going to offer a free tier, they will have them on a lower priced subscription coming within the next few years. It was one of the points of difference netflix always had, now they have gone at thrown it in the dumpster along with what was left of their reputation.

Quotes

It's the end of an era for Netflix. While the service has long been praised for its total lack of ads and commercials, Netflix is reversing its course on the matter. On Tuesday, Deadline reported that Netflix co-CEO Reed Hastings said that ads will soon be incorporated into the service. 

Hastings' comments come shortly after Chief Product Officer Greg Peters acknowledged that there would be differences in pricing for subscriptions in different territories. Both Hastings and Peters discussed the current state of Netflix, and its future, during the company's first-quarter earnings call, which was posted to YouTube on Tuesday. During the interview, the CEO noted that they will begin to implement advertising on Netflix in the "next year or two."

"Those who have followed Netflix know that I've been against the complexity of advertising and a big fan of the simplicity of subscription." Even though he has been against the incorporation of advertising in the past, he acknowledged that this would be a necessary step for the streaming platform. He also said that this would be a positive for Netflix subscribers, as it will give them "consumer choice" and the ability to choose a cheaper subscription, albeit one with advertisements. 

"But as much as I'm a fan of that, I'm a bigger fan of consumer choice money," he continued.

My edit

However, more consumers appear comfortable mixing ads with their streaming, so long as it's affordable. A December survey from Forrester found 44% of U.S. online adults who use a streaming service will put up with ads if it means they pay less.

"Ultimately consumers will follow the content and the overall value they’re getting when choosing which streaming services make their watch list," said Forrester VP and Research Director Mike Proulx.

My thoughts

Netflix seems to be a worse option every day lately. higher costs, less shows, and now ads. Yes I'm aware services like Hulu and HBO also have an ad-supported tier, but if you are PAYING for a streaming service, it should not have ads, period. If your financial model can't continue without shoving ads into it somewhere on a paid product, then you need to re-evaluate your company costs.

I don't have a Netflix account anymore, but i am still extremely against this. X as service will become more expensive and have more ads as time goes on, and i for one, absolutely hate it.

At least Sony and Microsoft had the decency to keep it relegated to F2P games.

Sources

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2022/04/20/netflix-ads-impact-subscribers/7379645001/

https://popculture.com/streaming/news/netflix-officially-adding-commercials/

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

> Predicts to lose 2 million more customers.

> Adds ads to subscriptions.

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

He also said that this would be a positive for Netflix subscribers, as it will give them "consumer choice" and the ability to choose a cheaper subscription, albeit one with advertisements. 

I just noticed that apparently the Basic plan doesn't even give you HD quality. Has that always been the case? How hard would it be to give the consumer an actual choice and offer other combinations like 1 screen but UHD or 4 screens but simply HD.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

> Predicts to lose 2 million more customers.

> Adds ads to subscriptions.

I just noticed that apparently the Basic plan doesn't even give you HD quality. Has that always been the case? How hard would it be to give the consumer an actual choice and offer other combinations like 1 screen but UHD.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense.

They give you the option to play o multiple devices simultaneously, but don't want you ti share your account with friends and family.

Yes, the basic tier has always been HD only. The higher you go in the tier list, the better quality you get.

Ads in a paid product don't make much sense to me. Why pay for a service (company makes money) and then get ads served on top of it (company makes more money).

If they want to introduce ads to Netflix, a more consumer friendly option would be to keep paid plans "premium" and without ads, while offering a free plan with a limited selection of titles and ads. With this approach, Netflix could actually get more people on their platform, who will potentially buy a subscription to get access to the full library and get rid of ads.

Netflix officials, if you're reading this, follow me for more business tips.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

So, it's just cable tv with more (or fewer) steps?

btw, their share prices fell quite a lot (~35% iirc, correct me if I'm wrong) after the announcement

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Post image

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

6 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

Yes, the basic tier has always been HD only. The higher you go in the tier list, the better quality you get.

I meant that the basic tier does not seem to offer HD. "HD available" is only ticked under the Standard and Premium plans for me. Of course this is pure marketing as this'll make you just go for  Standard at least, but it's why I think allowing custom combinations of screens and resolutions would be great.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

It wasn't that long ago that Netflix raised their prices (again!). Now they're planning on offering a cheaper plan but supporting it with ads. Raise prices, offer "cheaper" plan at the old price but now with ads. Brilliant. Now you either have to pay more or get ads.

The monthly subscription cost of Netflix has increased by about 70% since I signed up a few years ago, Netflix claims it's because they are adding more quality content, but it's obvious that Netflix is losing a big chunk of content every time another company spins up their own streaming service. Netflix can't rely on its own Netflix Produced content especially not when it's charging more than most other streaming services.

29 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

btw, their share prices fell quite a lot (~35% iirc, correct me if I'm wrong) after the announcement

Their share price fell drastically with the announcement that they lost over 200k subscribers in the last quarter after they had projected 2.5M increase in subscribers during the same period. They're also now projecting a further 2 million subscriber loss in the next quarter.

Who knows how advertisements on the platform will affect stock price. Maybe investors will see Netflix adding advertisements as a good thing for the company, after all investors only care about the bottom line and profits. You have to remember that stock price is based on what the investors think a company is worth and not what the general consumers think.

39 minutes ago, tikker said:

I just noticed that apparently the Basic plan doesn't even give you HD quality. Has that always been the case?

Yeah, I believe you always needed the middle tier "Standard" plan for HD content. I don't think Netflix states the resolution for the Standard Definition content on the cheapest "Basic" plan other than "Standard Definition" but I believe it's between 480p and 576p depending on the content.

32 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

If they want to introduce ads to Netflix, a more consumer friendly option would be to keep paid plans "premium" and without ads, while offering a free plan with a limited selection of titles and ads. With this approach, Netflix could actually get more people on their platform, who will potentially buy a subscription to get access to the full library and get rid of ads.

I believe that's what they're doing. Keeping the more expensive plans as they are but introducing cheaper ad-supported plan(s).

It's worth noting that other streaming platforms also offer similar cheaper ad-supported plans, it's not like what Netflix is planning on doing with ad supported plans is new to the streaming industry:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2022/04/20/netflix-ads-impact-subscribers/7379645001/

Hulu has a $6.99-a-month plan with ads and a $12.99-a-month option without the ads.

HBO Max offers similar plans, with a $9.99-a-month subscription with ads and one for $14.99 that strips ads but supports features like offline downloads.

Last month, Disney announced it would introduce an ad-supported version of Disney+ this year but didn't provide information on prices.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, James Evens said:

It is fine. DRM prevents anyway the delivery of higher Resolution (at least on my devices).

What a mess.

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, I believe you always needed the middle tier "Standard" plan for HD content. I don't think Netflix states the resolution for the Standard Definition content on the cheapest "Basic" plan other than "Standard Definition" but I believe it's between 480p and 576p depending on the content.

Ah ok. I hope HD includes 1080p then at least. That feels like a weird gap to have otherwise. For me it will really depend on what the ad-supported plans will offer exactly.

Paying and still getting ads, I don't like this at all, and its a weird move after they want to stop people from sharing accounts with friends and family, Netflix lost 200k subscribers after that announcement.

And streaming services could just increase the price of their higher tier services then just claim you can use their paid ad supported tier if you don't like the price increase. I hope Netflix loses enough subscribers they are forced to either lower prices or provide HD resolution at lower tiers.

well... glad i don't pay for it now then XD

I don't mind having apps to keep the price low, i just hope not intrusive, like in the middle of a movie.

If the ads is in the homepage not a problem. just another eye sore i can skip, no popups.

I subscribe netflix for their exclusive content, so i have no other choice (or i can pirate haha).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

It's worth noting that other streaming platforms also offer similar cheaper ad-supported plans, it's not like what Netflix is planning on doing with ad supported plans is new to the streaming industry:

Other streaming platforms are cheaper than Netflix without ads, Hulu is $12.99 and Disney+ is $7.99, so I wonder how Netflix is going to compete, although they do have more marketshare.  But IMO unless you like exclusive content on Netflix it isn't worth it with the increased pricing.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

What a mess.

Ah ok. I hope HD includes 1080p then at least.

It does but getting to watch it in 1080p is like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle.

Most browsers can only show it in 720p cos Google's Widevine doesn't do higher for software DRM. Edge (on Windows) and Windows apps can do 1080p or 4K (4K plan required) cos they use Windows' hardware based DRM.

Other than that a smartphone or tablet or set top box with hardware based DRM is required.

This is the same with any service using Google's Widevine DRM which means all of these: Disney+, Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Paramount+, NBC's Peacock, and probably a few others that I'm missing.

1 hour ago, tikker said:

That feels like a weird gap to have otherwise. For me it will really depend on what the ad-supported plans will offer exactly.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I genuinely stopped caring about Netflix a few years ago. Too much stuff, too little stuff I wanted to watch and the overall dickbaggery that locks higher res behind specific hardware, browser or what have you.
Now if there's a show I want to see... I wait for a bit, subscribe during a time when I have free time and cancel my subscription right after. (This is something I wish was possible with regular cable TV...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Should rename to Notflix

I seriously don't get how some companies think they are the god's testicles, and can do whatever they want and still retain customers. To me the customer would always come first, seeing as they are the ones parting with their cash for whatever your company is offering. They should instead look at how much managers are making that are driving the train off the tracks.. salaries should be commensurate with how well the company is doing. Not pay the managers big bucks and then go "oh no, we;re not making enough money, let's put the prices up again so that next year the CEO can pay for his mistress to have that new house in the Cayman islands, so she can dive into all the gold like scrooge mcduck"

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I do wonder how much of Netflix's bizarre decision making of late is purely a result of not really having a growth trajectory from here. The share price sky rockets due to covid but with increased competition there's just not a path for Netflix to grow all that much more. 200+ million subscribers seems like a small fraction of the global population, but most accounts are shared, some people are never going to pay a subscription, and some amount of password sharing will always take place. I honestly doubt that the max number of subscribers a service can obtain without having significant free options is going to significantly exceed where Netflix is now. So, the next attempt at increasing profit consists of cutting the amount Netflix spends on content and raising prices, hoping that the inconvenience of unsubscribing is enough to keep people. We'll see where it goes from here, though I went ahead and canceled my subscription yesterday.

First we'll be finishing the Netflix series so I can completely cancel my subscription. Netflix has canceled a lot of great shows, there is no reason to cancel them too.

At some point it's not even funny anymore, prices keeps raising, bullshit decisions are to be made, officials remains braindead, canceling a movie with Will Smith because he slapped people around like a mad man and now ads while paying.

And to those stupid fucking morons out there saying "you get ads because you have it for free" Well, are you still saying that bullshit? Do you still stand by that bullshit?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

11 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

And to those stupid fucking morons out there saying "you get ads because you have it for free" Well, are you still saying that bullshit? Do you still stand by that bullshit?

Small difference here that it's not free. It will still be a paid subscription, but with ads. If they put out an actual free tier with ads there would likely be much less outcry about it.

Just now, tikker said:

Small difference here that it's not free. It will still be a paid subscription, but with ads. If they put out an actual free tier with ads there would likely be much less outcry about it.

I know, it's fully understandable you'll get ads if you get something for free and that makes sense. But there are still a lot of idiots out there standing by that bullshit. You are the product if you get something for free like Fecesbook. But what about you still get ads if you pay for something?

It's not just only for for subsriptions, it applies a lot of others like the Ring doorbells. There's been controversy about them, can't remember them exactly.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

*grabs pirate hat*

What series/movies Neflix made, is worth pirating?

You will not find any treasure at all

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

There is also the first signs that Neflix is making their service even worse

Netflix cancels multiple shows amid huge subscriber loss

Netflix is already cancelling multiple shows and movies after its recent subscriber and financial problems.

According to The Wrap, the streaming giant has pulled the plug on numerous in-development Netflix shows. The company's animation department has been hit hardest by the issues currently plaguing Netflix, which has suffered downturns in its market value and subscriber base since the turn of the year.

https://www.techradar.com/news/netflix-cancels-multiple-shows-amid-huge-subscriber-loss

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

21 minutes ago, darknessblade said:

What series/movies Neflix made, is worth pirating?

You will not find any treasure at all

Eh tbf I cant remember the last time I did pirate anything off Netflix. It's all trash nowadays.