Is my CPU underpowered?

Go to solution Solved by Jon-Slow,
5 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

It is not a fresh copy of windows no, I'm still using the old one and have the Activate Windows thing in the bottom right of my screen at all times. is that bad?

The watermark? No that's fine.

But I don't like carrying over Windows if I change my motherboard. Some people are fine with that, I think it has the potential to introduce problems. I would start with a fresh copy after formatting the drive, but you don't have to if you don't want to. You can at the very least try to make sure all your drivers are properly in place and installed first, then try DDU in Safe Mode, then exit Safe mode and download and install the newest driver from Nvidia. Do that and then test things out. Have HWinfo running and take note of your CPU and GPU usage, take note of what speed your CPU cores are running at as well, take note of what GPU core utilization looks like, and how much power your GPU is drawing under your gaming scenarios.

I've recently run into a lot of PC issues AGAIN, but managed to get some replacement parts and it is now up and running again.

But since getting a new motherboard MSI B760-P (which I don't think is the problem) and 4060 GPU I have noticed worse frame rates and drops when playing games such as Elden Ring and GTA5. I used to get on ER around 75FPS consistently on my 3060TI and old motherboard is Caelid (the area where I have the worst frames in game) on Ultra. Now on high settings I am getting around 45-34FPS in Caelid and 45-59 everywhere else. As for GTA i would get 110-136FPS now I struggle to get a consistent 60.

I think my CPU maybe bottlenecking with the GPU but I did also have problems getting it to boot so it may be something with BIOS configuration as I have no idea what happens in there but I had to jump through loops for the PC to even post.

Any and all help is appreciated

3 minutes ago, MiszS said:

Maybe tell us what cpu you have?

Agreed - It's hard to say one way or the other if we don't know what you're trying to run in the first place.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

hahaha sorry I thought that would've been one of the first things I specified but apparently not lmao. I have an i7 12700f

System specs?

You listed a gpu and boars nothing else for all we know you have a 14900k or some celeron

The 12700F is more than powerful enough for an RTX 4060, but if you actually went from a 3060 Ti to a 4060, you did a GPU downgrade, not an upgrade. The 4060 is slower than the 3060Ti by a decent amount.

2 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

hahaha sorry I thought that would've been one of the first things I specified but apparently not lmao. I have an i7 12700f

Full system specs including cpu cooler.

This should have no problem in gta at all. As long as the advanced graphics settings are off

3060ti to 4060 is not an upgrade, unless you're only using the AI and video encoding feature improvements that came with Ada Lovelace vs Ampere. The 3060ti is a faster card.

The RTX 4060 also has half the PCIe bandwidth of the 3060ti (Gen4 x8 instead of Gen4 x16). 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

3060ti to 4060 is not an upgrade, unless you're only using the AI and video encoding feature improvements that came with Ada Lovelace vs Ampere. The 3060ti is a faster card.

The RTX 4060 also has half the PCIe bandwidth of the 3060ti (Gen4 x8 instead of Gen4 x16). 

Yeah I'm sadly aware of that but the GPU is what failed and due to a friend building a PC and then getting gifted a prebuilt for her birthday she sold me her new 4060 and motherboard quite cheap so it was the best deal for me to go with but surely I should still be able to get 60FPS in Elden Ring with high settings on this card?

44 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

I've recently run into a lot of PC issues AGAIN, but managed to get some replacement parts and it is now up and running again.

But since getting a new motherboard MSI B760-P (which I don't think is the problem) and 4060 GPU I have noticed worse frame rates and drops when playing games such as Elden Ring and GTA5. I used to get on ER around 75FPS consistently on my 3060TI and old motherboard is Caelid (the area where I have the worst frames in game) on Ultra. Now on high settings I am getting around 45-34FPS in Caelid and 45-59 everywhere else. As for GTA i would get 110-136FPS now I struggle to get a consistent 60.

I think my CPU maybe bottlenecking with the GPU but I did also have problems getting it to boot so it may be something with BIOS configuration as I have no idea what happens in there but I had to jump through loops for the PC to even post.

Any and all help is appreciated

It's pretty confusing, tell us precisely what you have/want to get...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It's pretty confusing, tell us precisely what you have/want to get...

I have an i7 12700f 4060 and b760-p motherboard and I'm looking to get at least 60fps on high settings in Elden Ring with this setup because being under 60fps on a system like this just feels really bad

4 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

I have an i7 12700f 4060 and b760-p motherboard and I'm looking to get at least 60fps on high settings in Elden Ring with this setup because being under 60fps on a system like this just feels really bad

which resolution ? At 1440p a 4060 won't give more than 60FPS in ER...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

which resolution ? At 1440p a 4060 won't give more than 60FPS in ER...

1080p

9 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

1080p

Ok that's kinda low, but is 60FPS average in game or 1% low, or in crowded/CPU heavy area ?

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Ok that's kinda low, but is 60FPS average in game or 1% low, or in crowded/CPU heavy area ?

60fps average in a CPU average area I think. The area has some geyser effects along with water and particles so I think that is CPU intensive

6 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

60fps average in a CPU average area I think. The area has some geyser effects along with water and particles so I think that is CPU intensive

Ok

Check your GPU usage in gaming to make sure; if it's under 90% it's a CPU bottleneck indeed

You've mentioned you've had a lot of issues, and now you've gotten new parts. Did you start fresh with a copy of Windows not cloned or carried over from your previous PC? Did you  DDU if the windows was carried over? Did you properly install all new drivers for your new parts? You need to try all or some of these. My suggestion is to obviously start with a fresh copy of windows if you've bought a new motherboard and other parts. It's not necessary, but my personal opinion is that starting fresh helps eliminate doubts and potential problems.

If you can't do that, then make sure to at least install the proper updated drivers for everything, and use DDU to properly remove the GPU driver in Windows Safe Mode. After exist safe mode and install he new GPU driver.  Test your game benchmarks with benchmarks from other people and see if you're getting similar results.

2 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

You've mentioned you've had a lot of issues, and now you've gotten new parts. Did you start fresh with a copy of Windows not cloned or carried over from your previous PC? Did you  DDU if the windows was carried over? Did you properly install all new drivers for your new parts? You need to try all or some of these. My suggestion is to obviously start with a fresh copy of windows if you've bought a new motherboard and other parts. It's not necessary, but my personal opinion is that starting fresh helps eliminate doubts and potential problems.

If you can't do that, then make sure to at least install the proper updated drivers for everything, and use DDU to properly remove the GPU driver in Windows Safe Mode. After exist safe mode and install he new GPU driver.  Test your game benchmarks with benchmarks from other people and see if you're getting similar results.

It is not a fresh copy of windows no, I'm still using the old one and have the Activate Windows thing in the bottom right of my screen at all times. is that bad?

5 minutes ago, Poiyo said:

The watermark? No that's fine.

But I don't like carrying over Windows if I change my motherboard. Some people are fine with that, I think it has the potential to introduce problems. I would start with a fresh copy after formatting the drive, but you don't have to if you don't want to. You can at the very least try to make sure all your drivers are properly in place and installed first, then try DDU in Safe Mode, then exit Safe mode and download and install the newest driver from Nvidia. Do that and then test things out. Have HWinfo running and take note of your CPU and GPU usage, take note of what speed your CPU cores are running at as well, take note of what GPU core utilization looks like, and how much power your GPU is drawing under your gaming scenarios.