Adflix - Netlifx to add comercials to subscriptions

Arika
7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I already pay 52€ a month for all sorts of subscriptions. 

I should really get rid of some stuff. 

Xbox game pass almost always has a $1/month promotion. You sign up for the month for $1 then cancel the subscription in your Microsoft account. Rinse and repeat every month, it's not limited to new accounts. I've done it probably a dozen times now on the same account. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Xbox game pass almost always has a $1/month promotion. You sign up for the month for $1 then cancel the subscription in your Microsoft account. Rinse and repeat every month, it's not limited to new accounts. I've done it probably a dozen times now on the same account. 

Thanks for the tip! Now if I just weren't so lazy 😁

9 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

but I live in a town where I can get broadband like 3 ways.

I have access to Comcast and only Comcast. The next step would be T Mobile and hope thats enough. After T Mobile we would only have access to satellite internet, which means we would effectively have no internet. 

9 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

ermanent shutoff Is what I meant.

I have a feeling this is going to become common to fight piracy. If Cox can be sued for like a Billion dollars, any ISP can be sued. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I have access to Comcast and only Comcast. The next step would be T Mobile and hope thats enough. After T Mobile we would only have access to satellite internet, which means we would effectively have no internet.

Sounds like where i am, You have Telstra, or any other ISP, that is still basically using Telstra's lines and if you have an issue, you call your ISP for them to just contact Telstra anyway.

But luckily I also have starlink, which once down times are essentially 0 i'll be switching off my Telstra connect all together.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I greatly enjoy having a dozen different streaming apps to have to go through

/sarcasm 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 4/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, FliP0x said:

Yes, the basic tier has always been HD only.

Are you sure?:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Not sure if this is the right move for them.

But I guess they have smarter people than me on staff to make that call. I am sure they have done tons of research on how many additional subscribers they could reach with a lower-priced, ad-enabled service.

I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. I myself would be open to a lower priced service with ads, as long as the ads are reasonable, like 2 pre-roll adds, no mid-roll ads. As soon as they start putting too many mid-episode ads, that would be too bothersome for me.

Same with Youtube, there is a paid service, but I am too cheap for it, so I just watch the ads. Does that make me a basic bitch? Maybe. I feel like they have progressively turned up the ads on Youtube, but I am like a frog in slowly boiling water? 😬

16 hours ago, Caroline said:

Poor Fringilla, don't remind me.

I'd rather read or play the games even though the first two are buggy af

The Witcher was an excellent series. Hope they make a season 3.

Cannot deny Netflix have made some good shows over the past few years that I have really enjoyed.

- The Witcher

- Peaky Blinders

- Altered Carbon

- A series of unfortunate events

- Bojack Horseman

- others.....

It seems to be all the rage to hate on Netflix these days, not sure where that is coming from.

to me the greatest issue with these services is and remains fragmentation. I might be OK with paying for a subscription, even a relatively expensive one, if it means I get to watch whatever I want conveniently - however that's just not what's being offered. Instead you need to pay Netflix to get Netflix exclusive content, you need to pay Disney to get Disney content and so on. People don't have infinite money for subscriptions to services that may only have a couple of shows that they actually want to watch.

If Netflix was free with ads it might actually be a better offer than the subscription with no ads. A subscription with ads though... they can keep it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh boy, I can't wait for my mother to call me complaining about how Netflix is showing her ads while watching her shows.

Might need to get her off Netflix and have her switch to HBO or Amazon Prime. Wonder which service has the better library in Spain...

56 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Wonder which service has the better library in Spain.

Thats where VPN comes in handy.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Once you're deep enough down the rabbit hole all you see is the underlying subliminal content, the hidden messages and representations, and it eventually prevents you from enjoying the shows and movies.

Uhm.. what the hell are you talking about? - genuinely confused.

Probably trying to recoup losses from all the Netflix failed 'renditions' (see forced inclusion) of movies/shows. 

I'd rather be for a cheaper plan that includes ads OR a plan in line with today's premium plan with no ads - wishful thinnking, I know. 

Maybe time to updagrade the HTPC again and set up my RSS feeds to 'grab' shows from the net as they are uploaded - Arrrrgh

On 4/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, Sauron said:

to me the greatest issue with these services is and remains fragmentation. I might be OK with paying for a subscription, even a relatively expensive one, if it means I get to watch whatever I want conveniently - however that's just not what's being offered. Instead you need to pay Netflix to get Netflix exclusive content, you need to pay Disney to get Disney content and so on. People don't have infinite money for subscriptions to services that may only have a couple of shows that they actually want to watch.

If Netflix was free with ads it might actually be a better offer than the subscription with no ads. A subscription with ads though... they can keep it.

Me and cousin were surprised Disney+ got all the seasons of the Walking Dead while Netflix got 10 seasons.

Well, my tv is not supported by Disney+ and so uh, I went the other route. Fuck those silly rat pranks.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Steadily increasing cost, producing crappy shows, constantly removing content and now integrating ads to paid content? They are becoming exactly the thing they tried to destroy: Cable TV.

Other than the occational Witcher season most of their original content is BS imo. I'll probably unsubscribe in the near future.

Prime video on the other hand is amazing value imo. 1 streaming service should be enough content to watch through for most people and as many already have Prime for other reasons this seems like the obvious choice.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:52 PM, SolarNova said:

Thats where VPN comes in handy.

Most streaming services can detect VPN connections now and just stop working as soon as they do detect one.

It's not really a selling point for VPNs anymore imo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:25 PM, Shimmy Gummi said:

I greatly enjoy having a dozen different streaming apps to have to go through

/sarcasm 

Everyone says "monopolies are bad for consumers". So is having to pay for 5 streaming services because they all offer different content you're interested in.

At least in the whole Game launcher dilemma you don't have to pay for each app/service, so competitiors moving in don't hurt the consumer as much.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

1 streaming service should be enough content to watch through for most people and as many already have Prime for other reasons this seems like the obvious choice.

The problem is exclusive content. Thats why some like me sub to several services at a time. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

The problem is exclusive content. Thats why some like me sub to several services at a time. 

Yeah exclusive content is BS. I used to subscribe to Sky ticket for a month just to binge GoT and then cancel the subscription.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

exclusive content is BS.

How? These companies pay millions of dollars to make content. Its theirs. Anyone who thinks they are going to find a all in one solution for streaming needs to go back to cable. They make it easy to jump between services, so I dont see the issue here. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

How? These companies pay millions of dollars to make content. Its theirs. Anyone who thinks they are going to find a all in one solution for streaming needs to go back to cable. They make it easy to jump between services, so I dont see the issue here. 

I should be more specific: BS for the consumer. I don't want to sub to 5 services to be able to watch these shows. I'll probably wait until they're done with the show, then sub for a month, binge it and then cancel the subscription again. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So do gaming studios yet they somehow managed to unify the market and movie industry is this fragmented shitfaced dumpsterfire. Buying games is so convenient it never even crosses my mind to pirate any, like for real. Steam and GOG is all I'll ever need. Movies on the other hand, absolute shitshow to a point I either just don't watch any of it anymore or I just get that 1 whatever movie every few years from alternate source. I'm just not going to be subscribed to some garbage services and pay them hundreds of € every month just so I can watch those 2 or 3 actually decent movies and the rest is just forgettable uninteresting trash. But I mostly just stopped giving a shit about movies just because of what garbage state whole industry is. Stuck in the past with same profit making cravings as the rest of corporations. They can just sod off.

26 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

hundreds of € every month j

But streaming services don’t cost that much. Most I have paid for as $17 USD and that was for Hulu/Disney. So let’s say I pay $30 if I have another service. That’s still cheaper than cable. I can cancel at any time. A one place for all content is cable tv, which is why streaming is going to continue to be fragmented. Because streaming is about choice rather than shit loads of content. 

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

But streaming services don’t cost that much. Most I have paid for as $17 USD and that was for Hulu/Disney. So let’s say I pay $30 if I have another service. That’s still cheaper than cable. I can cancel at any time. A one place for all content is cable tv, which is why streaming is going to continue to be fragmented. Because streaming is about choice rather than shit loads of content. 

What content? Stuff on TV is just same stuff being repeated every 2-3 days. And if you want to watch anything meaningful you basically have to be subscribed to all the services in existence at once because they all pulled their own content to their platform only, creating this fragmented shit that it is now. I was especially pissed when I wanted to watch Rogue One on Netflix just to learn Disney pulled it off so they could stick it on Disney+. When I wanted to sign up to Disney+ it said it's not available in my country. So I said fuck you Disney and pirated the movie. Because that's what happens when you're an asshole to consumers who want to legally consume content but can't because of corporate assholery.