Hexagons are the best-a-gons (Do not misuse them) - Twitter brings NFTs to the timeline as hexagon-shaped profile pictures

Lightwreather

Summary

Twitter said in September that it would add a way for users to authenticate non-fungible tokens (NFT), and now the feature is live — if you pay for a $2.99 Twitter Blue subscription and are using an iOS device.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/CC7700lJC3uYzZcfzpHnBcp8tD0=/0x0:800x648/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:800x648):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/23182610/twitter_nft.jpg

Credit: Twitter

Quotes

Twitter said in September that it would add a way for users to authenticate non-fungible tokens (NFT), and now the feature is live — if you pay for a $2.99 Twitter Blue subscription and are using an iOS device.

On one hand, NFT profile pictures could be viewed as an incredible technology integration adding real utility for verified digital items. Alternately, it’s an unmissable signal pointing out the people that you should block or mute before they try to sell you some of their blockchain receipts.

No matter what your opinion of easily reproduced digital trinkets is, Twitter is integrating them in a way that separates ridiculous images of cartoon apes that have been right-clicked from ridiculous images of cartoon apes that are connected to blockchain tokens by adding a special “soft hexagon” shape around them.

At launch, Twitter is supporting several crypto wallets that users can connect to their profiles and verify that their tokens are of the no-fungible variety.

• Argent
  • Coinbase Wallet
  • Ledger Live
  • MetaMask
  • Rainbow
  • Trust Wallet

However, one side effect of limiting its interaction with the blockchain to a list of approved sources means that information on who owns what is not as decentralized as you may think. As researcher Jane Manchun Wong noted earlier Thursday, a database outage that knocked the OpenSea API offline for a few hours caused Twitter’s NFT collection pages to lose their information too.

This FAQ explains the process (while trying to make sure NFT owners avoid clicking a phishing link instead of Twitter’s official ones, which is an all-too-frequent vector for NFT theft), and answers the question of what happens if you sell the NFT that’s in your picture. As it turns out, Twitter will continue to display the image, regardless of what the blockchain has to say about who owns it, however, it will revert to a common circle frame instead of the special crypto wallet-only hexagon shape.

My thoughts

So, as I'm writing this, The Better tweetdeck extension has apparently released a feature that allows you to block everyone who has an NFT profile picture... Yea. I'm betting (exactly USD 0) on this feature eventually being canned for "Targetted Harasment". But back to the topic at hand, to use this feature, you must first be a Twitter Blue subscriber and 2nd have an iOS device. Pretty small market you've got there twitter, you sure you don't want to expand it a bit? As of the time this article is posted, twitter officially supports only a handful wallets to connect, these are in the quote above. To put this mildly, I'm cetain this feature will be controversial, but I can't say I'm surprised that Twitter would do this (seeing as it's former CEO was a cryptobro and all that). Well, it is what is but I must implore you, please do not take the Hexagon's perfectness as a polygon in vain.

Sources

Twitter: 1- Announcement 2- FAQ

TheVerge

Reuters

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

22 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So, as I'm writing this, tweetdeck has apparently released a feature that allows you to block everyone who has an NFT profile picture... Yea. I'm betting (exactly USD 0) on this feature eventually being canned for "Targetted Harasment".

You mean the Better TweetDeck extension? They had this option available since November.

image.png.303418f02c04a5c39c8d98560b66c4d3.png

🙂

20 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So, as I'm writing this, tweetdeck has apparently released a feature that allows you to block everyone who has an NFT profile picture..

Neat, might use tweetdeck to avoid delusional cryptobros.

10 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Right, That's the one, Thanks. Somehow I missed the Better part. I'll edit it.

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Imagine paying Twitter $2.99 per month to have a hexagonal shaped profile picture to show off that you own NFTs.

*introduces it as a feature on the LTT forum to drive forum subscriptions*  /s

I think it's funny that it doesn't show the hexagon in embedded tweets, still shows the normal circle. Now how will anyone know that you own NFTs?

image.png

Also seems that sometimes it doesn't load the hexagonal profile picture border when viewing tweets on twitter.com in a web browser.

For example this users profile (one of the top replies to the tweet announcing it by twitter blue) shows the normal round picture but when you view their profile it shows the hexagonal picture.

When viewing in the thread from Twitter Blue's post:

image.png

When viewing from the users profile Tweet Replies:

image.png

Seems there's some consistency issues going on, though I assume they'll fix those pretty quickly.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

imagen.png.909ab11770c4ec9b34e387338277e296.png

Yeeeaaaahhh I can't imagine this is what he had in mind when making that video...

Hrm, though I do wonder what his opinion on NFTs in general might be. Probably not good.

Ahahah what a joke, there's already a way to auto block these morons even I've read.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ahahah what a joke, there's already a way to auto block these morons even I've read.

Sounds like the way to go. Eventhough I've blocked twitter entirely🤣

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

>Screenshot NFT

>Make it hexagonal in paint

>Set as profile picture

>holyshitihavethesamenft.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

hexagon.jpg.2e13bad4f74fa4d8c9356f754ba50cff.jpg

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

I love NFTs.

I love how irrationally butthurt it makes people. Good job Twitter for introducing this feature.

4 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

My thoughts

So, as I'm writing this, The Better tweetdeck extension has apparently released a feature that allows you to block everyone who has an NFT profile picture... Yea. I'm betting (exactly USD 0) on this feature eventually being canned for "Targetted Harasment".

Twitter Blue is entirely useless, it does not surprise me they targeted it at the grifters.

But back to the topic at hand, to use this feature, you must first be a Twitter Blue subscriber and 2nd have an iOS device. Pretty small market you've got there twitter, you sure you don't want to expand it a bit?

Is there not an Android version? What could possibly be the reason for a damn website-wrapper app to be stuck on one platform?

As of the time this article is posted, twitter officially supports only a handful wallets to connect, these are in the quote above. To put this mildly, I'm cetain this feature will be controversial, but I can't say I'm surprised that Twitter would do this (seeing as it's former CEO was a cryptobro and all that). Well, it is what is but I must implore you, please do not take the Hexagon's perfectness as a polygon in vain.

Sources

Twitter: 1- Announcement 2- FAQ

TheVerge

Reuters

The former Twitter CEO really could be the "this is fine" dog. As various harassment campaigns go on and Twitter moved slowly to do Jack about it.

36 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I love NFTs.

I love how irrationally butthurt it makes people.

depends on what you mean, I bet a lot of artists are not going to like this. As big brands sell their art and benefit from it, without the artist getting anything from it and is not irrational anger or frustration.

3 hours ago, Rauten said:

Yeeeaaaahhh I can't imagine this is what he had in mind when making that video...

Good to see a member of the "cult"

Older stuff:

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Is there not an Android version? What could possibly be the reason for a damn website-wrapper app to be stuck on one platform?

It's not on web either, so I don't think it's quite as simple as a website-wrapper app. Apparently Twitter Blue also offers additional things to iOS customers already, so I imagine Twitter are just using iOS as their development platform. The site pretty much says as much:

Note: We share Twitter Blue features with subscribers as soon as they're ready, so not all features may be available on all platforms at all times. 

With something like this that mentality kinda makes sense. Waiting until they could release to everyone could mean they miss the NFT bandwagon.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I love NFTs.

I love how irrationally butthurt it makes people. Good job Twitter for introducing this feature.

And then there are people who are pissed off someone else is trying to sell their artwork, or  =/
But you know, thats just being irrationally butthurt.

Cool, an easy way to quickly tell who to block. Even better than the laser eyes pfps.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I love NFTs.

Because it's pure distilled cancer. Reason why we hate this shit with burning passion is because everyone then focuses on this garbage and everything else becomes secondary. Just like 99% of games turned into this microtransactions hot garbage instead of being fun or unique. And when one company becomes successful with this crap, everyone jumps on the bandwagon copying the thing and shoving this hot garabge into everything possible. NFT's are just a much worse, much more retarded version of microtransactions and it solely exists to drive insane sales of goods that have no finite quantity to be just that. And every time we're not resisting, companies just shove more of this crap into everything.

If it was just some stupid ingame helmet that has 0001/5000 printed on it and it's unique and whatever, I don't give a shit. Dumb people can buy that if they have more money than IQ. But you damn well it won't stop there and other content we do care about will suffer because of it.

They stop making a fun game and bolting microtransactions on top of it, they make microtransactions first and then forcibly create a game around that. It's totally backwards.

Well I guess I can now crown myself king of the internet with my hexagonal profile picture made up from 500 bored ape NFTs. I'll probably change it back in a few days, so here's the file if anyone wants it. Can't claim any copyright on it since I haven't actually bought any NFTs, but then again, neither can the people who did.

Monkey.gif.4090f8890c6ccf0a510cbda4a3bc6193.gif

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

27 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Well I guess I can now crown myself king of the internet with my hexagonal profile picture made up from 500 bored ape NFTs. I'll probably change it back in a few days, so here's the file if anyone wants it. Can't claim any copyright on it since I haven't actually bought any NFTs, but then again, neither can the people who did.

Monkey.gif.4090f8890c6ccf0a510cbda4a3bc6193.gif

See that's the thing, right? An NFT is just a token pointing at something. You don't actually own the picture. None of those apes are owned by that person, only the token on the blockchain is owned.

It's literally a scam. If you disagree, you're the mark.

Nft's are great! 

Especially the rug pulls. 

1.3 mill this week. 1.3 mill last week too. 

Suckers. 

this feature must be great for poeple who love NFT's!

image.thumb.png.f1df963a9a2fae847659bc8080903687.png

ahahhahahahahahahah

oh i do love a good screenshoted NFT.

in all seriousness, how the fuck did they think this was going to go?
those with a brain hate NFT's, those who love them?
well it's my medical opinion that they are so braindead that they took the brain stem and nervous system along with it and how they function is worth study.

maybe a grant would allow us to look at how the NFT buyer functions and we could learn to develop technology to stop more NFT buyers from being born!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 hour ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Now mint that .gif as an NFT then set it as your Twitter profile pic to annoy 500 NFTers at once.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450