4070 SUPER GPU bottleneck - Upgrade path

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Tarkov, Dota and general triple AAA titles. Work: architecture workload ( Archicad, Revit, Corona Render,etc...)

Hey all,

here is my current PC build from 2018:

• CPU: AMD R7 1700X CPU, 3.9 Ghz Overclock

• MB: X370 ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR HERO VI

• RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 3200Mhz

• GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3

• CPU COOLER: NZXT KRAKEN X62 AIO COOLER

• MONITOR: ASUS ROG PG348Q, 3440x1440 Ultrawide, 100Hz

This amazing build was a beast for the last 7 years. But I decided to upgrade my GPU and bought a RTX 4070 Super. Of course, this new GPU is not performing up to its capabilities, especially with this R7 1700X CPU, so I decided to upgrade it. My idea is to utilize the still amazing AM4 platform and buy a R7 5700X3D and 32GB or DDR4 RAM. But I’m afraid of this mishmash of old and new parts, will it work fine? Will it solve my GPU bottleneck problem?

I could also w8 a couple of months for a bit more of cash and buy a AM5 build, but I feel like it's not necessary since I can upgrade with the current MOBO and not have to w8 more time.

It's important to say that I have the ASUS 34" Ultrawide monitor, which is 100Hz, and I don’t plan on upgrading it for now (maybe in 2 years?). Which I think also adds points to the 5700 X3D upgrade, no?

Thx for reading,
Have a great day =)

There will still be a bottleneck with the 5700x3d, but much less than you have currently. If it were me i would go AM5, but it is still valid to stick to am4. 

12 minutes ago, Profeth said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Tarkov, Dota and general triple AAA titles. Work: architecture workload ( Archicad, Revit, Corona Render,etc...)

Hey all,

here is my current PC build from 2018:

• CPU: AMD R7 1700X CPU, 3.9 Ghz Overclock

• MB: X370 ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR HERO VI

• RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 3200Mhz

• GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3

• CPU COOLER: NZXT KRAKEN X62 AIO COOLER

• MONITOR: ASUS ROG PG348Q, 3440x1440 Ultrawide, 100Hz

This amazing build was a beast for the last 7 years. But I decided to upgrade my GPU and bought a RTX 4070 Super. Of course, this new GPU is not performing up to its capabilities, especially with this R7 1700X CPU, so I decided to upgrade it. My idea is to utilize the still amazing AM4 platform and buy a R7 5700X3D and 32GB or DDR4 RAM. But I’m afraid of this mishmash of old and new parts, will it work fine? Will it solve my GPU bottleneck problem?

I could also w8 a couple of months for a bit more of cash and buy a AM5 build, but I feel like it's not necessary since I can upgrade with the current MOBO and not have to w8 more time.

It's important to say that I have the ASUS 34" Ultrawide monitor, which is 100Hz, and I don’t plan on upgrading it for now (maybe in 2 years?). Which I think also adds points to the 5700 X3D upgrade, no?

Thx for reading,
Have a great day =)

Getting a 5700X3D or 5800X3D will boost your framerate significantly! 🙂

If you are planning on going AM5 then only the 7800X3D would be worth it as the non X3D 7000 series are on par with the 5800X3D from the AM4 generation in most games.  Sometimes the normal Ryzen 7000 series are a little bit faster and sometimes a little slower, depends on the game but they are very equal.

In my opinion, if you have to wait a couple of months to buy an AM5 CPU then I would get the 5700X3D / 5800X3D right now.

Check this out 🙂

17 minutes ago, Capt_Monk said:

There will still be a bottleneck with the 5700x3d, but much less than you have currently. If it were me i would go AM5, but it is still valid to stick to am4. 

ummm, no not really, my 5700x3d doesnt bottleneck my 7900xtx at 1440p/4k🤣

43 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

Why the RAM upgrade? Unless you are a monster tab hoarder, the bump in RAM capacity will do you no good.

As an architect, we need RAM since our programs suck ass when it comes to usage of RAM, lol. They just dump everything on the RAM and crashes when there is no space left. I work at designing big buildings, so 32GB is a must.

Also I like to play tarkov, and that game loves RAM

51 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

Why the RAM upgrade? Unless you are a monster tab hoarder, the bump in RAM capacity will do you no good.

RAM upgrades always do some good as its used as an IO cache.  This prevents re-loading game assets from storage again if they had been loaded (but removed from game RAM) previously in your gaming session.

Is it always a huge difference assuming the game is on an SSD?  No, but shaving a few seconds here and there can certainly make the experience feel smoother and its better to have too much RAM than too little.

But its a good excuse to upgrade to 3600MT RAM which is the sweet spot for AM4, though granted makes less difference on X3D CPUs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Getting a 5700X3D or 5800X3D will boost your framerate significantly! 🙂

If you are planning on going AM5 then only the 7800X3D would be worth it as the non X3D 7000 series are on par with the 5800X3D from the AM4 generation in most games.  Sometimes the normal Ryzen 7000 series are a little bit faster and sometimes a little slower, depends on the game but they are very equal.

In my opinion, if you have to wait a couple of months to buy an AM5 CPU then I would get the 5700X3D / 5800X3D right now.

Check this out 🙂

Thank you for the answer. Watching this video I really think the 5800X3D or 5700X3D is a no brainer for my case, as someone who still has a decent AM4 MOBO.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Profeth said:

Thank you for the answer. Watching this video I really think the 5800X3D or 5700X3D is a no brainer for my case, as someone who still has a decent AM4 MOBO.

Cheers!

I agree, just get the 5800x3D or 5700x3d if it's significantly cheaper. I would also test with 1080ti as you'll still see a pretty significant boost, just from upgrading CPU. Coming from the same setup, I actually kinda regret selling my 1080ti 😉

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15

8 hours ago, Profeth said:

Cheers!

No Problem!

Absolutely!  I totally agree 🙂