Seagate has created a HDD with transfer speeds to rival SATA-based solid state drives

PwnyTheTiger

Seagate has unveiled the fastest hard drive known to man, a 14TB behemoth of spinning platters that can rival some SSDs in the raw transfer speed race, the new Seagate Mach.2 Exos 2X14 is only getting close to the sustained transfer speeds of SATA based SSDs, and mainstream ones at that. Seagate's dual-actuator tech will boast speeds up to a 524MB/s maximum sustained transfer rate on a SAS 12Gbps interface rather than the standard SATA 6Gbps interface, which is obviously geared more for the Datacentre crowd. Seagate managed to squeeze out this level of performance from a physical set of spinning platters with their Mach.2 technology, which describes a drive with twin actuator arms capable of operating independently.

Quotes

While this is not exactly going to change the world of gaming PCs, it's still fascinating to see there is still a place for genuine innovation in one of the oldest technologies in computing. 

My thoughts

Seeing this older tech still growing is good to see and opens up possibilities for companies like LMG to continue to expand their long term data storage even more so.

Sources

https://www.pcgamer.com/fastest-hard-drive-in-the-world/

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Coming soon to a motherboard near you:

A cute little M.2 NVMe hard drive

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

WOW these are already listed on amazon for like 300$

i5-9400f

corsair 16gb (2x8) kit + 4x1 gb microsoft stick both 2666

asrock b350m pro4 lga 1151 

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

nzxt h510 airflow case white

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

19 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Seagate has unveiled the fastest hard drive known to man, a 14TB behemoth of spinning platters that can rival some SSDs in the raw transfer speed race, the new Seagate Mach.2 Exos 2X14 is only getting close to the sustained transfer speeds of SATA based SSDs, and mainstream ones at that. Seagate's dual-actuator tech will boast speeds up to a 524MB/s maximum sustained transfer rate on a SAS 12Gbps interface rather than the standard SATA 6Gbps interface, which is obviously geared more for the Datacentre crowd. Seagate managed to squeeze out this level of performance from a physical set of spinning platters with their Mach.2 technology, which describes a drive with twin actuator arms capable of operating independently.

Quotes

My thoughts

Seeing this older tech still growing is good to see and opens up possibilities for companies like LMG to continue to expand their long term data storage even more so.

Sources

https://www.pcgamer.com/fastest-hard-drive-in-the-world/

Oh. Yay. More moveable parts to fail.

Seriously, though, this is a win for the data center crowd, as balancing raw storage capacity with speed has always been an issue, but by that same token, I'd be a bit wary of increased failure rates, which is also a big problem. You might might just cut off your arm to save your leg.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

Not anymore they're not. 8TB and above not listed. Must be sold out.

17 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

twin actuator arms capable of operating independently

How don't they think of this before? Love to see hdd is competitive.

4 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

$300 for 14TB is not bad at all.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

End of the day, it's still a spinning rust.

Even if the continuous read/write speeds are high, the random read/write will be low and never come close to what an SSD can do.

Still nice to have and might be worth it depending on your use case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

28 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Coming soon to a motherboard near you:

A cute little M.2 NVMe hard drive

They made that in ‘00…

D7664723-5FA3-49D1-A089-0D9E55535202.thumb.jpeg.1a3879c4df16399b15a93cbb52d62742.jpeg290D83B8-2657-4034-9FB0-3D2B9F5EA4A8.thumb.jpeg.172a415903a251a24177a42cdbc6f07c.jpeg
Although it would be impractical, it would be cool to see a refresh of tiny HDDs…

1 hour ago, LTT_fanboy said:

They are not on amazon, just the regular Exos drives are. These aren't even fully released yet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd buy the heck out of those

Why would you? Unless it's direct PCie gen4, then there is no point.

SARCASM

37 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

then there is no point.

Because it's cool.

There doesn't have to be a reason for everything.

Sometimes, "Because I want it" is reason enough.

34 minutes ago, comander said:

spinning rust

HD platters don't rust. I made a windchime out of some dead drives 20 years ago, they are still shiny and rust free, despite being outside 24/7.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Cool to see it actually comes out, they've been talking about this for many years. Was supposed to be able to write with one head set while reading with the other as well, much improving access times...

Just now, comander said:

Spinning rust is an industry term. It's people joking about how slow hard drives are by modern standards. 

Also the fact that hard drives are magnetic storage, and rust=iron=magnetic...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, comander said:

Spinning rust is an industry term. It's people joking about how slow hard drives are by modern standards. 

I've seen it used at at least 3 different fortune 500 companies that I've worked at and a fair bit on places like STH. 

Yep but it makes abut as much sense as calling SSD persistent diamonds. Because that exactly how much the multiple petabytes of disk storage for backups would cost if I were to put them on SSD.

HDDs aren't dying nor are they useless and this has probably just doubled or more their useful life span.

Sure you all can keep your nice PCIe 4 NVMe SSDs with terrible write endurance, I'll be just as happy with these dual actuator drives in object storage servers totaling hundreds of drives that have more IOPs and throughput than your PCIe 4 NVMe drive. But ok fine that's going to cost a lot more than a single NVMe but you show me a single NVMe with 4PB+ capacity 🙃

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Cool to see it actually comes out, they've been talking about this for many years. Was supposed to be able to write with one head set while reading with the other as well, much improving access times...

Just note this is only possible on SAS interface/protocol. SATA only supports a single data channel and single command at a time where SAS supports dual data channel and multiple commands at a time.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yep but it makes abut as much sense as calling SSD persistent diamonds. Because that exactly how much the multiple petabytes of disk storage for backups would cost if I were to put them on SSD.

HDDs aren't dying nor are they useless and this has probably just doubled or more their useful life span.

Sure you all can keep your nice PCIe 4 NVMe SSDs with terrible write endurance, I'll be just as happy with these dual actuator drives in object storage servers totaling hundreds of drives that have more IOPs and throughput than your PCIe 4 NVMe drive. But ok fine that's going to cost a lot more than a single NVMe but you show me a single NVMe with 4PB+ capacity 🙃

Harddrives are great for somethings and horrible for others. Personally I can't use anything but ssds in my desktop because I have no reason to. I don't really ever go over the 4tb worth of ssd space I have in my pc. Sure it could have been cheaper to get a Harddrive but it also would be much slower and defeat the purpose of having a nice and fast pc. 

31 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Harddrives are great for somethings and horrible for others. Personally I can't use anything but ssds in my desktop because I have no reason to. I don't really ever go over the 4tb worth of ssd space I have in my pc. Sure it could have been cheaper to get a Harddrive but it also would be much slower and defeat the purpose of having a nice and fast pc. 

Yep, it's not like these HDDs are targeted for primary storage and likely will never be seen in the consumer market either. I would be extremely surprised to see this make it even to low end NAS disks as well.

Exos isn't exactly the cheapest HDD's on the market already and these are going to be worse than that.

Another thing to be careful of and this requires careful software optimization, the disks present themselves as two logical 7TB storage devices, as in far as the host system sees it they are two HDDs. Unless you can keep parity or data copies from living on the same physical disk you'll have a very bad time when a disk fails as you'll be losing "two disks" not "one".

Per logical drive these will be no faster than current HDDs and is only possible using SAS interface, as implemented currently it is impossible to do this using SATA.

8 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

How don't they think of this before? Love to see hdd is competitive.

They did.

2019:

https://blog.seagate.com/craftsman-ship/multi-actuator-technology-a-new-performance-breakthrough/

It's not like it was impossible before, but there was no reason to do this before now, because NVMe is lapping mechanical drives.

However, why stop at two. Just put separate arms on each platter. Heck, put them on opposing sides of the same platter.

There's obviously problems doing this. You need far larger caches, you need to be able to synchronize writes so that two heads don't write to the same space, so it's theoretically slower to write.

2TB SSD + 14TB MACH.2 hybrid combo? Yes please! You couldn't ever get an SSD of such size for same or even close money.

Chia miners are gonna love this.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

14 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

I'd be a bit wary of increased failure rates, which is also a big problem.

Assuming the storage is somewhat performance biased and not just pure capacity, then before this drive existed you'd likely have to have two separate drives for comparable performance. So all else being equal, it is probably still a net improvement.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Just note this is only possible on SAS interface/protocol. SATA only supports a single data channel and single command at a time where SAS supports dual data channel and multiple commands at a time.

Doesn't SATA have scatter gather? I know it will be far less optimal and relies on software making use of it, but that could lead to a similar effect if the drives were presented as a single logical unit. I'm assuming the different head sets can overlap in what they can access, and are not partitioned.

37 minutes ago, Albal_156 said:

Chia miners are gonna love this.

No they wont. Chances are conventional drives will be far better value since performance when farming doesn't matter. Might they have use for plotting? Maybe, but the numbers required for that are far smaller.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, porina said:

Doesn't SATA have scatter gather? I know it will be far less optimal and relies on software making use of it, but that could lead to a similar effect if the drives were presented as a single logical unit. I'm assuming the different head sets can overlap in what they can access, and are not partitioned.

No idea how effective that would be though. The drive is just split by platters and the actuators are top half bottom half split so they can only read/write to those platters. So basically to get any speed up you would have to write data in such a way it's spread across those two partitions of the disk internally otherwise you're effective limited to a single actuator and read/write head.

That's why it's done the way it is now, it's very basic and easy to implement and the only requirement is SAS interface. It's two disks that share a main motor and platter shaft, basically, super basically.

10 minutes ago, porina said:

Assuming the storage is somewhat performance biased and not just pure capacity, then before this drive existed you'd likely have to have two separate drives for comparable performance. So all else being equal, it is probably still a net improvement.

No they wont. Chances are conventional drives will be far better value since performance when farming doesn't matter. Might they have use for plotting? Maybe, but the numbers required for that are far smaller.

The whole Chia "it's not proof of work" principle is a big fat dumb lie. They say it's not proof of work yet it ALL depends on how much of work you put in it plotting that shit. And you'll be plotting space non stop in massive quantities. And since doing it on HDD's is impossibly slow, miners have this dumb idea of plotting on faster SSD's. Which wears them down in weeks if it's cheap TLC or months if it's higher end MLC. All this mining is a god damn cancer to entire computer industry and ecology and the sooner it dies, the better.

17 minutes ago, porina said:

It would depend, I suppose, somewhat on how the drive reacts to partial failure. If one arm breaks, does the other keep working, with the drive now at half speed (or basically normal HDD speed)? Something tells me no.

If not, the two separate, slower drives, is still better from a failover perspective: one fails, the other still works.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

It would depend, I suppose, somewhat on how the drive reacts to partial failure. If one arm breaks, does the other keep working, with the drive now at half speed (or basically normal HDD speed)? Something tells me no.

If not, the two separate, slower drives, is still better from a failover perspective: one fails, the other still works.

Check Der8auer's video: