Twitter Begins Asking Users to Enable Ad Tracking

TheReal1980

Summary

Following an app update, Twitter today began asking users to enable ad tracking under Apple's App Tracking Transparency rules.

app-tracking-transparency-twitter.jpg?lo

Quotes

After updating to version 8.65, which adds Spaces support, Twitter users will begin seeing a popup that asks them to "keep ads relevant" by allowing Twitter to track data from other companies like apps used and websites visited.

Apps have been required to ask for user permission for tracking purposes since the release of iOS 14.5 on April 26, but Twitter didn't implement support for the feature until today.

Analytics have suggested that 96 percent of users are leaving app tracking disabled, with just four percent of iPhone users in the United States actively choosing to opt into tracking after updating to iOS 14.5.

My thoughts

I am all for this regardless of app. Hopefully Android starts doing this as well but probably not.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/14/twitter-app-tracking-transparency-support/

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I'm not an Apple person, and I want to keep using Android. But being able to shut-out all tracking, and having it all be disabled by default, very well may be so huge an incentive that I get an iPhone and don't look back until the same feature is available on Android phones (maybe 3rd-parties, like Samsung could add it for their phones).

Privacy and security aren't simply nice to have. They're fundamental for mental health, and their absence takes a toll even when it's subconscious for most people. They are human rights.

Tracking and unilateral data-harvesting violate articles 3, 4, 5, and 17 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Twitter: "Hey so like if you wanted to, you can let us track you and that'd be cool"

Facebook: 

I will look for you, I will find you and i will kill you - Misc - quickmeme

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

29 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Privacy and security aren't simply nice to have, they're fundamental for mental health and their absence takes a toll even when it's subconscious for most people. They are human rights.

Stop being overly dramatic, we're talking about twitter ads here. Its just a system to make sure you get ads you'll actually care about rather than ones you don't. I'd much rather see ads tailored to me, rather than completely random junk. Ads are great when done right, but when you bombard people with ads about things they care nothing about, it leaves a negative impact.

51 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'm not an Apple person, and I want to keep using Android. But being able to shut-out all tracking, and having it all be disabled by default, very well may be so huge an incentive that I get an iPhone and don't look back until the same feature is available on Android phones (maybe 3rd-parties, like Samsung could add it for their phones).

Privacy and security aren't simply nice to have, they're fundamental for mental health and their absence takes a toll even when it's subconscious for most people. They are human rights.

Tracking and unilateral data-harvesting violate articles 3, 4, 5, and 17 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

If Google doesnt act quickly my new motto is: "Goodbye ad-tracking, hello lightning port!" UwU

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Stop being overly dramatic, we're talking about twitter ads here. Its just a system to make sure you get ads you'll actually care about rather than ones you don't. I'd much rather see ads tailored to me, rather than completely random junk. Ads are great when done right, but when you bombard people with ads about things they care nothing about, it leaves a negative impact.

I'm serious and not being at-all hyperbolic. And we're not talking about Twitter ads, but violations of privacy rights. The ads are just the claimed purpose for the violation of privacy rights.

I don't care what someone says their purpose is for doing something they don't have a right to be doing in the first place, and which can end up being used for anything regardless of what the person taking the data claims their intention is. Their intentions, dishonestly stated, aren't a safeguard against anything. And their intentions don't change the fact that they aren't entitled to what still isn't theirs. So their intentions don't make their privacy violations, at my expense, OK with me.

When a person's data is being taken and shared between any number of businesses who use it for any purpose that will make them money (including selling it to governments, law enforcement, researchers, and more), that reduces the security of the person - violating the 3rd article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And when advertisers use a person's harvested data against them to more poignantly and clandestinely manipulate them, with a person not being able to know when and how it is being done, that is a form of slavery - violating the 4th article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And when advertisers and political parties use one's harvested data to manipulate them including into supporting terrible policies candidates that they otherwise wouldn't have, and perhaps against their self-interest, that's cruel and degrading treatment - violating the 5th article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And when companies take data from people to use for their own commercial benefit, often without permission (such as Facebook tracking and targeting people across websites who don't even have a Facebook account, or this), they are stealing people's personal property - because a person's data is their own personal property (which Microsoft even admits). And unilaterally taking and using what is a person's own property (an essential part of the value of which is the privacy it affords when it isn't known by others), often without request and without recourse, is a violation the 17th article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And data-harvesters' taking and using of our data is what would unequivocally be called theft if we did it to them:

On 2/17/2021 at 2:17 AM, Delicieuxz said:

The business of harvesting data is a dirty, illegitimate, predatory, and hypocritical one. It is making money through the exploitation and manipulation of people and is a crime - and not just a moral one (though, it is definitely a moral one):

What do you think would happen if you were to hook a Bitcoin mining operation up to the electricity supply of some business you don't own, without their permission and without compensating them? If they found out, they would have you arrested and if the operation was significant, they'd sue you, and would probably get to seize any profits you'd made while using their electricity.

There's not really even a need to frame things in cryptocoin-mining terms. Imagine that you decided to start using various businesses computers, electricity, employee activities, software, housing, as data farms for your own project, just like they're doing with our PCs. Same thing's going to happen: You'll be arrested and charged, probably sued, and any profits you made will probably be seized and given to the corporation.

But tech companies are doing the same thing to us and they're not being punished for it in any way. In generating and harvesting data from our particular usage and via interaction with our devices, tech companies are using our electricity, our hardware, our storage and management of our hardware, our software, our time, our personal activity, for their own commercial purposes, and all without a commercial license. They're stealing. And it's crazy that it's been allowed to progress this far, that the public is in a stupor and doesn't understand that this isn't right.

Somehow, the public, governments, and regulators have been lured into a stupor and coma regarding the topic just because tech companies started doing these things before there was any understanding of them, and so now people feel like it's just the way things are. But that's like thinking that stealing what isn't yours and slavery are just the way things are.

Tech companies whose business is mining and selling data are stealing from us in the same way that a politician who steals millions of dollars out of the treasury is stealing from their constituents. Even though the millions of dollars they stole amounts to a few dollars, or even less than a dollar per person, the smallness of the stealing from each individual doesn't make it not stealing.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

You're hired.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I honestly agree. I don't like Apple but honestly I don't do anything on my phone now that I couldn't do on an iPhone. The benefits of having the ability to stop tracking is a big plus and I don't know what android offers that really makes it not worth the switch. The amount of information they are gathering is sorta creepy tbh I would rather not deal with them somehow getting hacked and releasing all that info. 

3 hours ago, duncannah said:

I just block the account whenever I see an ad. If they were relevant ads I might get ads from accounts that I might not want to block.

They change. They always change. Just like host blocking with websites, the new meta is to just use disposable accounts and domains, which wastes extensive amounts of memory on browsers running adblockers.

I wonder when will Apple slam with the fist on a desk and tell these dumb companies to stop begging users to enable it. Coz this begging for users to enable it just looks so pathetic and desperate...

For Apple Devices Users: Go into settings on your iDevice and under Privacy -> Tracking -> you can now turn off the "Allow Apps to Request to Track" thing. So apps won't even ask if they may track you as soon as those new updates are rolled out after the iOS 14.5.1 Update.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Hah Twitter is just a cesspool and whoring advert site at this point.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 5/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, RejZoR said:

I wonder when will Apple slam with the fist on a desk and tell these dumb companies to stop begging users to enable it. Coz this begging for users to enable it just looks so pathetic and desperate...

Probably won't. Apple's really god with messaging, and this "We're protecting your privacy." vs "Please please let us give you ads!" is a really good message for them.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Probably won't. Apple's really god with messaging, and this "We're protecting your privacy." vs "Please please let us give you ads!" is a really good message for them.

No, you described Google. They always go with "me too" and then they don't enforce any of it.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:03 PM, TheReal1980 said:

but probably not.

It could be on Android OSes on devices that do not include anything Google related, since it's open source.
Because I wouldn't be surprised if Google is telling manufacturers they cannot do anything to stop ads/tracking, if they want to include the every popular Google Apps on their devices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

It could be on Android OSes on devices that do not include anything Google related, since it's open source.
Because I wouldn't be surprised if Google is telling manufacturers they cannot do anything to stop ads/tracking, if they want to include the every popular Google Apps on their devices.

To have the Google Apps requires this: AdID

There are methods to weaken down the Ad targeting.

You have to dig into the settings but there is a setting to opt-out of personalized ads.

Along with resetting that AdID ever so often to randomize it up.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

It doesnt matter how often I read the title its just never not funny 🤣

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

You have to dig into the settings but there is a setting to opt-out of personalized ads.

I think thats why they now switch to "group advertising" so you can opt out how much you want but you really dont because ads arent "personalized" anyway , or can you?

Edited by Mark Kaine
better wording

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think thats why they now switch to "group advertising" so you can opt out how much you want but you really dont because ads arent "personalized" anyway , or can you?

There are methods to get around even that.  DNS/proxies filtering out requests.  Note: This requires using sideloaded software since Google is not fond of such or VPNing behind a network with such filters in place.

Or, if one is serious, you strip out the stock Android, load a custom ROM, and don't use the GApps.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

and don't use the GApps.

Here's lies the issue:

People want to keep the cake AND eat it too

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I like that Apple is making people question their platform allegiances.

Google's hook for Android has long been "it's open!" (which isn't really true, but that's another debate), and enthusiasts bought into that quite readily. However, it seems like people are realizing that theoretical openness doesn't matter if you're compromising other values in practice, such as privacy.

I don't think Google is being horribly villainous by either collecting its own data or letting other developers do the same. But it's harder to avoid that collection on Android, and Google has a vested interest in enabling data gathering where Apple prefers to limit it where possible.

13 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Here's lies the issue:

People want to keep the cake AND eat it too

Yeah nobody forcing anyone to use these apps that track you and you don't pay.  Just pay for an app that doesn't track, oh wait, everyone wants everything for free now.