Apple removing Rosetta 2 x86 emulation!?

Summary

The latest macOS beta appears to be removing x86 emulation on install. The wording’s meaning and reasoning behind it is anybody’s guess.

Quotes

Code in ‌macOS Big Sur‌ 11.3 suggests that Rosetta could be removed from some ‌M1‌ Macs in some select regions after the software is released. There's a mention that "Rosetta is no longer available in this region. Applications requiring Rosetta will no longer run," but no additional information is available at this time.

My thoughts

If Apple actually does remove x86 emulation, it may force lazy developers to move forward with native code. But would also be a major kick in the teeth to Apple Silicon adopters who believed there would be compatability.

Source:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2021/03/31/apple-seeds-macos-big-sur-11-3-beta-6/amp/

2 minutes ago, fightingfoo82 said:

Summary

The latest macOS beta appears to be removing x86 emulation on install. The wording’s meaning and reasoning behind it is anybody’s guess.

Quotes

My thoughts

If Apple actually does remove x86 emulation, it may force lazy developers to move forward with native code. But would also be a major kick in the teeth to Apple Silicon adopters who believed there would be compatability.

Source:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macrumors.com/2021/03/31/apple-seeds-macos-big-sur-11-3-beta-6/amp/

Rosetta is hardware software mixed, so if M1X does not have the hardware to run rosetta apple might remove it completely to make everything the same across the board.

However, I have a gut feeling that apple will keep rosetta until atleast mid 2022 when the last macs transition to apple silicon, but that could be wrong.

These rumours stem from the tweet...

...and probably mean nothing. Just because the string exists doesn't mean its going to actually be used. They might have just added it because they know Rosetta will be getting killed eventually.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It was gonna have to go at some point, otherwise devs would never be incentivised to move over, but wow, a potential removal just 7 or so months after the release of the M1 chip is unacceptable, especially as compatibility was heavily detailed by Apple themselves before the launch. If this does happen soon then people will only be able to make the move from Intel if they rely solely on the App Store and have never used software from outside of it.

This either seems like they're trying to passively-aggressively nudge devs over to ARM, or there's some sort of legal issue that's been filed in a particularly country.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

It’s just a logical step. Rosetta 2 was only meant to be for the transition like Rosetta one ( this was used for the transition from Power PC to x86 ). What surprises me is how fast Apple plans to do this.

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

43 minutes ago, fightingfoo82 said:

If Apple actually does remove x86 emulation, it may force lazy developers to move forward with native code.

Or it could make ARM Macs completely unusable for professionals for years. Eventually I'm sure they'll take it out but now is far too early.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Apple explicitly said in their documentation that Rosetta 2 translation is just a stop gap until developers recompile their applications as universal binary. 

From Apple:

Rosetta is a translation process that allows users to run apps that contain x86_64 instructions on Apple silicon. Rosetta is meant to ease the transition to Apple silicon, giving you time to create a universal binary for your app. It is not a substitute for creating a native version of your app.

This is not something new. During Apple’s transition from PowerPC to Intel, they provided built in Rosetta translation for Mac OS X Tiger for Intel up to Leopard. However during Snow Leopard in 2009, Rosetta was removed from the installation disc, but it became an optional download. It’s possible that for future macOS versions, Rosetta 2 will still be supported but as an optional download until most developers ported their programs as universal binary. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I see no reason why they shouldn't let users use Rosetta if they want to even after apps get ported to ARM.

I mean, they can have it as an opt-in/optional piece of SW that does not come with the OS installed but still, removing it seems silly.

I mean apple is definitely going to drop x86 support at some point, at it might happen within this or the next year since Apple said themselves that it's basically temporary and only meant to 'ease the transition to Apple silicon'. That's why I don't really like the move to arm.

Dang that's a terrible move what are the devs thinking? You have to have more than 7 months of backwards compatibility when moving to a new platform. 

Obligatory @DrMacintosh ping

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

So if the ARM-based Apple Sillcon CAN'T run x86 apps, that would be a trouble for a while?

Do something that I need to do.

MUG Player osu! | Polytone | Muse Dash | Arcaea | Cytus II | Phigros | Taiko | BMS | Orzmic | Deemo | Lanota ...

High-school student from China

2 hours ago, fightingfoo82 said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Source:

I do feel teeth kicked.  I was hoping to be able to emulate on a Mac mini pro but the possibility of doing that is looking much less likely.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Isn't it a bit quick to be killing off x86 emulation? Sure it might push lazy devs to work faster on making native apps available, but it may also have the opposite effect with some other devs who feel Apple is forcing them to "get on board or get off".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Rosetta is just a library of code. It’s essentially an app, and like any app, it has the capability to be removed. Doesn’t mean Apple plans on doing it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

There are still developer tools that require Rosetta to run. 

If this were 2 years, I would understand. But this is 7 months...

Apple has no real reason to remove Rosetta 2, at least not across the board.

The key may be the "in your region" bit. If there's a country where there's a legal dispute over Rosetta 2, Apple might have to yank the code (at least until the dispute is resolved). At this point, I'd still assume that Rosetta 2 will stick around until x86 Macs are firmly in the past.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Isn't it a bit quick to be killing off x86 emulation? Sure it might push lazy devs to work faster on making native apps available, but it may also have the opposite effect with some other devs who feel Apple is forcing them to "get on board or get off".

IMO, they'll probably remove it as a default option. They have yet to release an ARM mac pro. Like as a security feature/optimization. If you need it, then it could be installed.

Consider malware, if you remove the x86 execution, then none of it can run. For now.

Why only in select regions? Seems like a legal thing - M1 Macs aren’t too mainstream yet.

Make it a feature you can enable from like terminal in recovery mode or something instead of getting rid of it completely lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

IMO, they'll probably remove it as a default option. They have yet to release an ARM mac pro. Like as a security feature/optimization. If you need it, then it could be installed.

Consider malware, if you remove the x86 execution, then none of it can run. For now.

What about that “star swallow” or whatever it was called thing that checks a site for instructions that have yet to be given.  Or something like that.  I recall reading that it got ported.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Until it's actually removed, it's just a rumor and doesn't really mean too much.

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

The key may be the "in your region" bit. If there's a country where there's a legal dispute over Rosetta 2, Apple might have to yank the code (at least until the dispute is resolved). At this point, I'd still assume that Rosetta 2 will stick around until x86 Macs are firmly in the past.

I agree 100% with this.  It seems to me that if it were to be removed, it might be removed in an area where either they didn't have full rights to the x86 emulation (or some other contesting feature).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Isn't it a bit quick to be killing off x86 emulation? 

Honestly, what's the damn point? I remember when running a "hackintosh" was a useful edgy thing to do. But with MacOS being a walled garden, limited Steam library, and overall a giant PITA to implement and maintain with current hardware (specifically the GPU), WHY BOTHER??

Apple, you can keep your platform. I wouldn't run OSX on my PC even if you gave the OS away for free. 🥱

14 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Honestly, what's the damn point? I remember when running a "hackintosh" was a useful edgy thing to do. But with MacOS being a walled garden, limited Steam library, and overall a giant PITA to implement and maintain with current hardware (specifically the GPU), WHY BOTHER??

Apple, you can keep your platform. I wouldn't run OSX on my PC even if you gave the OS away for free. 🥱

Apart from your obvious dislike of Apple stuff, the point is that Rosetta 2 emulation is used to allow the use of current programs that aren't AS native yet. More and more are becoming native, but when you transition to a completely different platform like this it can take time. 

Also, running a Hackintosh isn't an "edgy" thing to do. It's shockingly easy these days, and can yield great results. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)