Nvidia Sold $175 Million Worth of GeForce RTX 30 GPUs To Crypto Miners

TOMPPIX
7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This time AMD has nerfed RDNA2 mining performance on purpose to avoid them being used for mining.

On the hardware level or in the drivers?

The RX 6000 launch has basically been a paper launch, AMD uses TSMC for consoles, CPU's and GPU's but I doubt supply could've been that bad, I wouldn't be surprised if they were selling to miners even if the cards aren't good for mining.

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I do get your point, theres people that have to have a gpu immediately, those people wait in line for days or set up a bot

It is okay to wait a few weeks or even lets say 2-3 months. But as the situation presents itself now, we are facing 4-6 months before general availability and prices anywhere near MSRP. A time period where usually successor or refreshs are already available.

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

On the hardware level or in the drivers?

The RX 6000 launch has basically been a paper launch, AMD uses TSMC for consoles, CPU's and GPU's but I doubt supply could've been that bad, I wouldn't be surprised if they were selling to miners even if the cards aren't good for mining.

nvidia aren't selling cards to miners, only the wafers. Mining companies have their own drivers and pcb layout etc. To think AMD are not selling wafers to mining companies as well is ludicrous. Mining companies don't want the consumer cards, the reference pcb design is likely too inefficient for mining.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I bet there wouldn't be same level of anger on here if they were selling directly to esports teams in huge quantities.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I bet there wouldn't be same level of anger on here if they were selling directly to esports teams in huge quantities.

Well there would, really that's entitlement too.

Look to Blademaster91's points.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

3 hours ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Yes i get that whiny self deluded and entitled people think they are the centre of the Earth but they are not.

Good and easy times breed weak and complacent people 😉.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

no it isn't. it just seems like a paper launch if you look outside of NA or at NA retail stores.

They've got a million zen3 CPUs trying to be in customers hands before the end of the year including 10k EPYC chips for 1 supercomputer + zen2

10-15 million console APUS before spring 2021

They keep buying up as much fab capacity as they can.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Holy crap are people seriously this stupid? 

Did nobody read more than the headline? 

Nobody except shitty click bait news sites are saying Nvidia put aside a bunch of GPUs and sold them specifically to miners. I know this forum has a raging hate boner for Nvidia and really want them to be evil or whatever, but please use your brains before posting. 

The report is saying that they guess that around 175 million dollars worth of cards were sold to people who use them for mining. 

There is a very big difference between:

1) Someone buying a card and then using it for mining. 

And

2) Nvidia selling GPUs to people they know are miners specifically. 

The first is what is happening but people seem to think number 2 is happening, which is quite frankly fucking retarded to even assume. 

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

says who?

Miners are customers too. Why are "gamers" more entitled to new GPUs than anyone else?

Because mining is a complete waste of electricity. Making things harder to calculate just for the fun of it makes no sense. Should tax 50-70% for all crypto revenue.

3 hours ago, sof006 said:

Target audience = Gamers

None of Nvidias marketing indicates their cards are aimed at crypto mining. 

Nespresso's marketing indicates their capsules are for George Clooneys. Still everyone drinks their coffee.

Unless...

wait...

I have some bad news, people: you are not Hollywood superstars.

:D 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

The report is saying that they guess that around 175 million dollars worth of cards were sold to people who use them for mining. 

And

The first is what is happening but people seem to think number 2 is happening, which is quite frankly fucking retarded to even assume. 

Apparently they are directly selling dies, not completed ready-to-use cards, And the chance that they are then used for mining is pretty high. Also just looking at the customers name should give you pretty clear clues who you are selling to.

49 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Nespresso's marketing indicates their capsules are for George Clooneys.

No. Just no.

1 hour ago, thorhammerz said:
4 hours ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Yes i get that whiny self deluded and entitled people think they are the centre of the Earth but they are not.

Good and easy times breed weak and complacent people 😉.

I really have no idea where all this bullcrap about entitlement stems from. Nobody claims they're entitled. All people are asking is fair distribution of goods and not prioritizing anybobdy and straight-out lie to consumers.

27 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

All people are asking is fair distribution of goods and not prioritizing anybobdy

The entity that dictates what constitutes "fair distribution" is NVDA itself, and no other. He who bids the highest, receives the goods ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

Unfortunately for "gamers", it just so happens that the "miners" are willing to bid in both price and volume, at the time where supply is already constrained. In the retail world (note: excluding high-volume deals such as OEMs) where individual cards are effectively treated as depreciating commodities, they don't particularly care whether the supply goes to the miners or to the gamers, so long as they can get it off their balance sheet as quickly as possible, for the highest price possible.

13 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

He who bids the highest, receives the goods ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Well by that logic gamers should get zero supply for the coming future. And see my other replies about solely doing business in this short-sighted hardcore capitalistic way, which consistently seem to get ignored.

Apart from that, I doubt what you are saying is even true. Nvidia sells GPUs in bulk to both AIBs and mining companies and I doubt that most miners have higher volume than AIBs.

Always boggles my mind to read threads like this and see people feeling outraged and betrayed as if the company actually cares about them in the first place. Corporations only care about making the most profit possible and those fellow kids statements come from a marketing department. Them 'doing good things' only happens because it will give them a PR boost and they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't making them money.

Nobody should have loyalty to a corporation, they're there to make money off of you, their workers and a lot of the time slave labour in countries like China. They're not your friends.

It's not surprising that Nvidia is doing what makes them the most money.

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

Because mining is a complete waste of electricity. Making things harder to calculate just for the fun of it makes no sense. Should tax 50-70% for all crypto revenue.

So is *insert thing I don't like here* because *insert stupid reason*

Should we tax *thing* random percent because people don't like it too?

Anything is worth money if people place a value on it and can be taxed at any rate so long as a government wants to go through the hassle of taxing it. Additionally, any dollar bill falls into the same category of only being worth what someone wants it to be, the US dollar isn't backed by jack except basically the faith people place in the US government.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Should we tax *thing* random percent because people don't like it too?

Anything is worth money if people place a value on it and can be taxed at any rate so long as a government wants to go through the hassle of taxing it. Additionally, any dollar bill falls into the same category of only being worth what someone wants it to be, the US dollar isn't backed by jack except basically the faith people place in the US government.

No? Just tax stuff that are bad for the environment for no reason. Should we start to financially boost selling aeroplanes that use more petrol and make crypto game out of it?

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I don't know about the taxation thing, but crypto mining is plain next level stupid, for the reasons @Jeppes  has explained. This is no random thing people hate, there are very objective arguments for that opinion. The whole damn planet is trying to get greener and more energy-efficient (okay, some big players prefer to opt-out and continue driving F150s and building coal plants) with the largest share of greenhouse gases being caused by energy production and some lunatics come up with a fantastic idea to waste enormous amounts of energy for creating a virtual currency.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Holy crap are people seriously this stupid? 

Did nobody read more than the headline? 

Nobody except shitty click bait news sites are saying Nvidia put aside a bunch of GPUs and sold them specifically to miners. I know this forum has a raging hate boner for Nvidia and really want them to be evil or whatever, but please use your brains before posting. 

And

that was what i was wondering also but i didnt think miners would be able to get 250,000 gpus from stores especially with all the scalpers given how low the supply is

Holy crap I just saw that one of the sources is Moores law is dead.

Thst guy is a fucking liar and AMD fanboy who just makes shit up. How anyone can take him seriously is beyond me. His "insider sources" have about as much accuracy as my completely imaginary sources. 

I am honestly scared for the future because people clearly don't have the mental capacity to differentiate between a conman who makes shit up (like MLID) and actual news. 

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

Apparently they are directly selling dies, not completed ready-to-use cards, And the chance that they are then used for mining is pretty high. Also just looking at the customers name should give you pretty clear clues who you are selling to.

Source? 

13 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

this is seriously not okay, these cards are meant for gaming not sitting in a warehouse mining cryptocurrency. Nvidia just lost a lot of respect.

Looks like neither AMD or Intel deserve your respect as well then. They will sell a CPU or GPU to whoever they want whether it's a content creator, an average joe, or even researchers discovering a cure for Cancer or COVID-19. Technology isn't just for gamers. Deal with it. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Holy crap I just saw that one of the sources is Moores law is dead.

Thst guy is a fucking liar and AMD fanboy who just makes shit up. How anyone can take him seriously is beyond me. His "insider sources" have about as much accuracy as my completely imaginary sources. 

I am honestly scared for the future because people clearly don't have the mental capacity to differentiate between a conman who makes shit up (like MLID) and actual news. 

Source? 

No way! He got one thing out of 100 right, so his track record is basically flawless! /s

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

26 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

I don't know about the taxation thing, but crypto mining is plain next level stupid, for the reasons @Jeppes  has explained. This is no random thing people hate, there are very objective arguments for that opinion. The whole damn planet is trying to get greener and more energy-efficient (okay, some big players prefer to opt-out and continue driving F150s and building coal plants) with the largest share of greenhouse gases being caused by energy production and some lunatics come up with a fantastic idea to waste enormous amounts of energy for creating a virtual currency.

You mean like PLAYING VIDEO GAMES? Or are you going to tell me hundreds of millions of gamers consume less electricity playing with pixels on a screen when they max out their overclocked and overvolted GPUs and CPUs? Or all the infrastructure, data centers, etc. that go into hosting those games, relaying information back and forth generates electricity as well? Or what about all the PC power devoted to other tasks that don't produce useful output for humanity?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I mine and SETI and F@H and have been since about 2000.... I giggle my ass off at these threads. I live in a place where micro-hydro is popular. For about $700 more than the original cost of a small hydro generator I got something much bigger and it's all renewable the fish go back and forth though it no problem. I'm trying to cure cancer with a brute force attack I need as many new gpus as I can get. There are a lot of wealthy people that get energy for near nothing. The smart thing is to exploit that and they do. So be mad all you want but it seams misdirected. Even the partners complained about short manufacturing windows. In my day if a item was expected to be in high demand some manufacturers  would hold release and stock pile for a bit. When you sell them one after another hot right off the line it becomes a game of who can get it faster and a few players figure out how to be fastest so these few are supplied first. I was just wondering how many New AMD or NVIDIA cards even 2000 series are just sitting in pre-builts in warehouses cus the two Microcenters near me YES I have 2 , 3 if I boost the BMW all the way there, have not had stock of any RTX card for months. Add to that some AMD cpus. I can wait in line in the morning in a line of 20+ for up to 0-3 cards any cards, maybe... on the morning truck. It's like some weird government conspiracy. Why don't the stores know TF is on their own truck, meanwhile the guys on the floor work on commission with nothing to sell.

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

no it isn't. it just seems like a paper launch if you look outside of NA or at NA retail stores.

They've got a million zen3 CPUs trying to be in customers hands before the end of the year including 10k EPYC chips for 1 supercomputer + zen2

10-15 million console APUS before spring 2021

They keep buying up as much fab capacity as they can.

What stores in NA actually had stock? I noticed some stores were announcing they didn't get any RX6000 cards at all.

But AMD has it worse considering they're limited by fab capacity with TSMC, probably why Nvidia went with Samsung, although apparently yields on Samsung 8nm aren't great.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

nvidia aren't selling cards to miners, only the wafers. Mining companies have their own drivers and pcb layout etc. To think AMD are not selling wafers to mining companies as well is ludicrous. Mining companies don't want the consumer cards, the reference pcb design is likely too inefficient for mining.

I guess thats slightly better than selling consumers cards to miners, but they're still selling wafers that would otherwise go to AIB's. Several reviewers have said AIB's have very low margins on RTX 30 series GPU's, and they need to make cards to get back the cost of designing PCB's and coolers.