Nvidia Sold $175 Million Worth of GeForce RTX 30 GPUs To Crypto Miners

TOMPPIX
5 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Could you please explain to us why these cards are very clearly labelled as gaming cards on Nvidia's website if they are going to suddenly give them away to miners for cash? Please either answer this question or just don't post anymore, I don't think fanboys or sheep are popular on these forums

Gamers needs marketing, miners do not

Just because a product is labelled as "gaming" doesn't mean the company is only allowed to sell it to gamers exclusively, unless you can point out which law or regulations is against this. Please do not reply until you can answer this.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Gamers needs marketing, miners do not

Just because a product is labelled as "gaming" doesn't mean the company is only allowed to sell it to gamers exclusively, unless you can point out which law or regulations is against this. Please do not reply until you can answer this.

Nvidia did not become big because of miners. Miners are pretty new whereas gamers have always supported Nvidia. If you don't see anything wrong with them giving priority to people who use the product for nothing else but to make money then I am definitely not going to bother replying to you further, no worries.

If they are customers then they could have simply ordered them on their website like everyone else instead of getting special treatment. Funny how the two people are see nothing wrong with this are the guys with anime pics who probably sit in their basement with their mining rigs.<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Just because a product is labelled as "gaming" doesn't mean the company is only allowed to sell it to gamers exclusively, unless you can point out which law or regulations is against this.

There is no law. But this:

12 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

In some parts of the world there are ethics, I guess in yours not.

Especially in light of this:

Our philosophy has always been to get the latest technology into the hands of gamers as fast as possible.

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

I prefer companies that do not straight out lie to me. Gaming is what made companies like Nvidia big and created brand loyalty. Any miner will drop Nvidia the very instant either mining is dead or there is some other way to mine 0.2% faster.

Also I am still interested in whether you calculated the electricity cost into your claim of mining paying for your PC upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Nvidia did not become big because of miners. Miners are pretty new whereas gamers have always supported Nvidia. If you don't see anything wrong with them giving priority to people who use the product for nothing else but to make money then I am definitely not going to bother replying to you further, no worries

You didn't even answer my question

Again, why can't Nvidia diversify their business? You think business will grow just by doing the same thing forever?

7 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Funny how the two people are see nothing wrong with this are the guys with anime pics... (Redacted)

No need to get personal there, bud

4 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

prefer companies that do not straight out lie to me.

How was it a lie? Maybe you misinterpreted it

"As fast as possible" is such a vague statement, did they say before miners or bots? No?

Also I am still interested in whether you calculated the electricity cost into your claim of mining paying for your PC upgrade.

Yea, that's why I said only if your electricity is cheap in the reply u quoted, but did not quote

Just now, Moonzy said:

"As fast as possible" is such a vague statement, did they say before miners or bots? No?

BS! That is not vague at all. ASAP includes "not selling a huge chunk of a scarsely available product to non-gamers". Nothing vague at all about that, no room for interpretations.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Yea, that's why I said only if your electricity is cheap in the reply u quoted, but did not quote

And where you live, is that one of the few places where electricity is so cheap that it would pay off? Did you do the math, checking how much electricity-$ where sucked out of the line for mining and how much you earned through the mined coins? I highly doubt that you even got a net plus, and even less earned remotely enough for a PC upgrade.

1 minute ago, Dracarris said:

BS! That is not vague at all. ASAP includes "not selling a huge chunk of a scarsely available product to non-gamers". Nothing vague at all about that, no room for interpretations.

That's your interpretation of it

My interpretation

"I could sell these cards to gamers, or sell it to moonzy as a paperweight first because I want to, it's not possible to sell to gamers if I'm unwilling to do it anyways"

So, where's my card, Nvidia?

I highly doubt that you even got a net plus

Ok

That's your interpretation of it

No. There is no room for interpretation, as I have said before. There is no me/you interpretation. They said they want to get the cards to gamers ASAP. End of story.

If I tell you there is very little tomato supply coming in right now and I will do my best to give each inhabitant of the village 1kg each, then sell 2tons the next day to some other distributor because he offered me a better price - would you argue I ensured fast as possible tomato supply for the villagers? Do you seriously believe for yourself what you wrote here?

Ok

So you are evading my question then whether you did the math regarding the electricity cost?

A summation of how I am seeing this thread:

The consensus seems to be that people find crypto mining a disgusting practice in general regardless.

If one wants to make the argument that video games is also disgusting, it is still vastly more disgusting than playing computer games at any rate. 

The OP statement claims that large amounts of Nvidia GPUs were sold to people doing this.  This has been challenged on several fronts for various reasons. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

If I tell you there is very litle tomatos coming in right now and I will do my best to give each inhabitant of the village 1kg each, then sell 2tons the next day to some other distributor because he offered me a better price - would you argue I ensured fast as possible tomato supply?

yea, your best would depend on which thing you prioritize

profit or morale? and i don't really see companies keeping morale in check, most of them thread on the grey area whenever possible

Do you seriously believe for yourself what you wrote here?

yes, i seriously do

and im one of the ones waiting until the situation gets better until i buy 1 or 2 more gpus

im not any better off than any one of you

So you are evading my question then whether you did the math regarding the electricity cost?

yes, because there's no need for you to know, imo

1 hour ago, zhnu said:

Depends on what you mine, also printing money is a waste of resources and people do it.

Printing money isn't a waste of resources because it is actual legal tender. 

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yea, your best would depend on which thing you prioritize

you seem to misunderstand, 'my best' was never at stake. I promised supply as fast as I can possibly make happen. Which I breached. How can you still deny this??

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

yes, because there's no need for you to know, imo

just know that i have engineering background and i know what im doing with regards to power calculations and such will do

Wow, just wow. Without this piece of information you can just claim whatever you want.

So you never did the math, and most probably flushed money and energy down the drain. Congrats. I would be highly interested in who actually paid for that electricity.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

By getting crypto currency...?

And selling those currencies into fiat currency, if you so desire

Gets you money?

So... What's your point? I could sell my btc and obtain myself a few GPU right now if I so wish

How is that different from using fiat currency to buy GPU?

Yes, like running games to entertain oneself.

Using a single gpu for your enjoyment vs running a rig with multiple gpus to mine with are two entirely different things. I can understand wasting energy to entertain one self like you would with a gaming rig or simply watching TV but I can't understand using up vast amounts of energy to mine an imaginary currency that holds no value other than what people assign to it. It just seems like a huge waste when if you are going to use your gpu for compute like that you might as well use it for something useful like folding at home. 

2 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

I promised supply as fast as I can possibly make happen. Which I breached. How can you still deny this??

in that case, nvidia should've build fabs and fabricate more chips, because that would be "best" for supplying more chips

and let those fabs rot when demand dies down after the initial wave, yeap.

profit is king in a business, anything that goes against it is "not possible" in the eyes of executives.

you may think companies have customer's best interest in mind, but that's just because that's what they want you to think

that's why we have regulations and laws to keep them in check.

7 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

most probably flushed money and energy down the drain

yes, indeed, you are absolutely right

bravo, i got exposed 😔

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I can't understand using up vast amounts of energy to mine an imaginary currency that holds no value other than what people assign to it.

but the fact is that it holds value, and can be traded for goods and services like any other form of currency

like coupons, if you will

they dont have any value, other than what some company assigns it to have.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It just seems like a huge waste when if you are going to use your gpu for compute like that you might as well use it for something useful like folding at home. 

it does generate revenue and feeds families, and make people rich

it's not just mindlessly computing Pi over and over again or something

8 hours ago, Dracarris said:

It is okay to wait a few weeks or even lets say 2-3 months. But as the situation presents itself now, we are facing 4-6 months before general availability and prices anywhere near MSRP. A time period where usually successor or refreshs are already available.

Yeah waiting for availability is the problem, sure you could get into a queue or pre-order but with the rumors of Nvidia having 30 series cards with more VRAM, I really don't see the point.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

There is no law. But this:

Especially in light of this:

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

I prefer companies that do not straight out lie to me. Gaming is what made companies like Nvidia big and created brand loyalty. Any miner will drop Nvidia the very instant either mining is dead or there is some other way to mine 0.2% faster.

That Q&A is mostly a load of BS anyway, if they're selling GPU dies to miners, or maybe that  Q&A is aimed at the miners.

And I'm sure Nvidia knows a lot of people kept their Pascal cards because the Turing cards weren't worth upgrading to unless you absolutely needed raytracing, so of course theres higher demand.

4 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

What stores in NA actually had stock? I noticed some stores were announcing they didn't get any RX6000 cards at all.

But AMD has it worse considering they're limited by fab capacity with TSMC, probably why Nvidia went with Samsung, although apparently yields on Samsung 8nm aren't great.

newegg, AMDs own site.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

-deleted- wrong stuff got quoted completely. I don’t know what happened there.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Funny how the two people are see nothing wrong with this are the guys with anime pics who probably sit in their basement with their mining rigs

as if that has anything to do with my opinion. Also making a lot of assumptions about me.

1. i drew my avatar myself
  2. i dont mine
  3. i hate mining

But looking at it from a non-emotional standpoint, "gamers" aren't entitled to new GPUs. Customers are entitled to new GPUs, and Customers can encompass Gamers, Miners, Render Farms, Creators, AI researchers etc etc.

So don't give me that "lol anime profile are basement dwellers" bullshit.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

People defending mining and miners: condescending explanation of how capitalism works.

Yeah, we all get how capitalism works, thanks. The pc gaming enthusiasts who want/need a new gpu aren't "entitled," just frustrated and feeling that a large market chunk is subverting their hobby. We are talking about graphics processing units after all. 

It's like if Porsche were to release a limited edition car designed and marketed for its track performance except a few rich guys swooped in and bought half of them only to take the engines out to power something completely unrelated to motorsports. Meanwhile the rest of the car is left to sit. 

I’m still at the “did this even happen” stage myself.  The references were iffy.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t though.

2 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Could you please explain to us why these cards are very clearly labelled as gaming cards on Nvidia's website if they are going to suddenly give them away to miners for cash?

Please either answer this question or just don't post anymore.  .

Just because something is labeled as "gamer" doesn't mean it's only allowed to be bought by gamers.

Guess people that don't run servers aren't allowed to by any server grade harware

Who are you to say who can buy what products?

I don't think fanboys or sheep are popular on these forums

good thing i'm not a fanboy then...

What about the current situation and the fact that people sit at home and that a ton of people either need this to distract fromselves from slitting their wirst considering mental health has been on the rise due to the pandemic and lokdown?

what a bullshit argument, "if people can't buy GPUs they are going to comit suicide" are you really sure you want to make that argument?

What about the fact that people need this for work and cannot get any?

I thought they were gaming cards?

What about kiddos that have nothing else in their life than game while they sit around at home?

there are other hobbies in life besides computer games. it's a GPU, it's not water or oxygen, people can live without them.

But hey, people that want to take advantage of this idiotic currency to make money and enrich themselves sure are customers too

Would you say the same thing to the reasearches who buy up a whole bunch of cards to do protein folding for medical research? GPUs have soo many other uses besides gaming, again, who are you to decide how they get used?

Either you are just not very bright or you are a miner yourself.

see me last post. i don't mine, infact i hate the concept of it, but it doesn't mean that the people that wish to involve themselves in it should be banned from buying a product because it might upset some people.

In some parts of the world there are ethics, I guess in yours not.

Why are your "ethics" any better than mine?

i advocate for a free and open market i would say thats more ethical than forcing a company to only sell to a certain group of people because the internet is annoyed.

EDIT: oh man, that "funny" react really shut down my argument, holy shit, i'm done i can't argue against that, what am i going to do? i guess i should delete my account with how brutal that response was. How will i ever be able to show my weeb anime portrait around this forum ever again. people will bow down to your godlike debating skills.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

18 hours ago, Arika S said:

says who?

Miners are customers too. Why are "gamers" more entitled to new GPUs than anyone else?

THERE IS A SPECIFIC RANGE OF GPU'S ONLY MEANT  FOR MINING AND THOSE FOR SURE CAN'T BE USE IN GAMES, THEN WHY ARE MINERS EXPLOITING THE PRODUCTS THOSE ARE FOR GAMERS JUST BECAUSE THOSE COULD ALSO DO GOOD IN MINING AND THE POINT IS THAT MINERS ARE CUSTOMERS FOR MINING GPU'S AND DEFINETLY STEALERS IN GAMING GUP'S

1 hour ago, zhnu said:

Yes it kind of is because you can use your phone or a card or something less wasteful to make payments, the fact is there's crypto that's actually useful.

Cash is still a thing for a reason. People use it everyday so to call it useless is kinda dumb. Go to a store and try and use cryptocurrency and see how far that gets you because nobody in their right mind would want payment in cryptocurrency as its price is to volatile. 

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

in that case, nvidia should've build fabs and fabricate more chips, because that would be "best" for supplying more chips

and let those fabs rot when demand dies down after the initial wave, yeap.

profit is king in a business, anything that goes against it is "not possible" in the eyes of executives.

you may think companies have customer's best interest in mind, but that's just because that's what they want you to think

that's why we have regulations and laws to keep them in check.

yes, indeed, you are absolutely right

bravo, i got exposed 😔

but the fact is that it holds value, and can be traded for goods and services like any other form of currency

like coupons, if you will

they dont have any value, other than what some company assigns it to have.

it does generate revenue and feeds families, and make people rich

it's not just mindlessly computing Pi over and over again or something

No you can't. Try going into a store and paying in etherium and see what they say. Sure a select few places will accept it but most won't. 

18 hours ago, TOMPPIX said:

Ummm Nvidia.

Just because these GPUs are made of gaming doesn't mean they are restricted to gaming, however bad their performance may be. If miners want to buy nvidia GPUs, why can't they?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.