AMD Radeon 6000 Stock "Seems Pretty Terrible" According to Hardware Unboxed

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,

UPDATE: Microcenter has said that RX6800 stock "will be extremely limited at launch."

https://videocardz.com/newz/microcenter-radeon-rx-6800-stock-will-be-extremely-limited-at-launch

Expect stock to be evern worse due to leaked reviews putting it above the 3090...

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

15 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

i don't buy cards at launch lol, i'll wait a few months for everything to be back in stock with msrp prices.

Tbh I am glad I didn't buy at the launch of the 3080 as there are rumors of a 3080 ti at this point so I will be holding out on that. Pretty ok with my current card and don't need to upgrade but I tend to upgrade regardless to get better 4k performance. I guess I will just have to turn some settings down for now. 

I doubt stock is going to be that great considering Zen 3 is also using TSMC 7nm, but I don't plan on upgrading until cards are in stock.

10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

And nobody is surprised...

Did you not read the other threads about this?

@Deli was optimistic:

On 9/27/2020 at 1:05 AM, Deli said:

By the time the new AMD graphics cards hit the shop. Everyone wants to upgrade their GPUs will have either 3080 or 3090 in their rigs already. :)

@GDRRiley couldn't think of a reason why supply would be limited at launch and only third party cards might be an issue:

On 9/27/2020 at 1:10 AM, GDRRiley said:

its on 7nm so yields are high. assuming they can get enough dies I can't see why not. but they are going to have to tell AIBs very soon otherwise they can't make cards in time for an early November launch

@Blademaster91 said he believed stock wouldn't be an issue and that the reason why the 30 series cards were in short supply was simply because Nvidia artificially limited the supply:

On 9/27/2020 at 1:50 AM, Blademaster91 said:

I could see this maybe being the case if AMD started manufacturing months in advance, nvidia created artificial scarcity due to starting production in August.

@AluminiumTech started listing reasons for why RX 6000 wouldn't have availiblity issues:

On 9/27/2020 at 6:08 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I’m gonna guess retailers will be asked to limit to 1 per order of each card. And I’m guessing they’ll take pre-orders rather than just instantly sell out.

Also, presumably there will be real stock of Navi 2X. Helped by the fact that Apple is transitioning off of N7P to N5.

I would also not be surprised if Navi 2X cards have been in production since Nvidia’s presentation. They will have wanted to wait to see if there’s any surprises etc. 

I do think that’s Navi 21 will be launched alongside Navi 22 and Navi 23 despite AMD not originally planning on it.  

On 9/27/2020 at 6:15 AM, AluminiumTech said:

If your product is readily available, it usually means its not very good and the demand is low.

Or that the company making it has an interest in selling to their customers and remaining in business.

@Warin was also very hopeful:  

On 9/27/2020 at 6:24 AM, Warin said:

I suspect the AIBs already have the RDNA2 parts in their manufacturing streams.  I strongly suspect that there will be a strong product presence within days of the October 28th announcement.

@Lord Bloobus didn't think AMD would have stock issues, but that was based on (what seems to be) the wrong assumption that AMD wouldn't be competitive in the high end:

On 9/27/2020 at 6:58 AM, Lord Bloobus said:

I don't think AMD is gonna have stock issues, most of the market still wants Nvidia while AMD traditionally caters to the mid to lower tiers with their price points, I'm not sure I've really heard of shortages on AMD launches besides the first few days, and not to the level of any of Nvidia's launches.

@Gamer Schnitzel said people should have faith in AMD and that Nvidia only had supply issues because they wanted to have supply issues:  

On 9/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, Gamer Schnitzel said:

AMD has not let consumers down for quite a while. Just have faith dude. Consoles have been in production for quite a while which means that AMD probably was ready to start manufacturing months ago. Nvidia started to manufacture like a month ago so as long AMD started 2 months ago and is going to continue until release they'll have enough stock.

Nvidia did this on purpose just to push AMD to release their cards so that they can release their Ti cards afterwards and trump them.

@Doobeedoo was hopeful as well:  

On 9/27/2020 at 3:55 PM, Doobeedoo said:

I'd definitely do not expect it to be bad though. Enough time before launch even, can prepare enough stock they see fit. It's not mining craze time, nor RVII limited product. 

@spartaman64 was also listing off reasons why the supply would at the very least be better for RX cards than Nvidia's cards:  

On 9/27/2020 at 4:15 PM, spartaman64 said:

amd has several things going for them I believe their gpu has been in production longer and tsmc 7nm has much better yields than samsung 8nm. also nvidia's gpu design is inherently really hard to manufacturer i think with the huge increase in cuda cores and the probably more complex memory controller for gddr6x

And these comments are just from a single thread. There are plenty of threads where people shit on Nvidia for supply issues, saying they will go with AMD instead out of spite, and such. It's pretty hilarious how quickly people went from "Nvidia are evil, I hate them and the shortage is a conspiracy!" to "yeah it's totally expected that AMD have supply issues too. Everyone has. I feel sorry for them".

On 11/17/2020 at 3:22 AM, LAwLz said:

@Blademaster91 said he believed stock wouldn't be an issue and that the reason why the 30 series cards were in short supply was simply because Nvidia artificially limited the supply:

Compared to how bad the Nvidia 30 series launch went, with no stock anywhere, and the cap issue because Nvidia is so terrified about leaks they screw over their AIB's so much the reviewers get working drivers before the AIB's do.

In my opinion it's dumb to rush out and buy a GPU at launch, instead of waiting for in depth reviews, or any issues there might be.

Hardware Unboxed didn't state how much stock there would be, or if the low stock would be reference cards or AIBS, or all cards.

And Nvidia did limit supply, they did nothing to stop the bots on their own store, and there were people saying Samsung 8nm yields were terrible, so either way thats on Nvidia because they could have done something against the bots and could have gotten more stock of cards instead of rushing their cards out just to beat AMD.

But I might go with AMD, their cards have more VRAM, and so far look to come quite close in performance. Nvidia has had had a monopoly over dGPU's for too long and it's getting obvious when they only put 10GB VRAM on a $700 GPU, now that there might be some decent competition from AMD, Nvidia is getting scared with the rumors of 30 series Ti cards with more VRAM. I think people will buy AMD cards if the price/performance is good, not out of spite as you say but it seems its cool to crap all over AMD.

We'll see, either way it's always best to wait a few weeks for prices to settle and find out about potential flaws

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

snip

And these comments are just from a single thread. There are plenty of threads where people shit on Nvidia for supply issues, saying they will go with AMD instead out of spite, and such. It's pretty hilarious how quickly people went from "Nvidia are evil, I hate them and the shortage is a conspiracy!" to "yeah it's totally expected that AMD have supply issues too. Everyone has. I feel sorry for them".

theres an asterix on this report since they seem to be only talking about the stock of the reference amd gpu and they didnt really make it clear whether they are only talking about founders 3080 or they are talking about all 3080s. assuming that amd didnt just keep all the chips of themselves if the stock of just the reference cards is about the same as every 3080 then this might be good news actually.

i dont think people should be angry at nvidia but they made some poor decisions like going with samsung but maybe samsung overpromised on how much they can produce so maybe thats on samsung. but im mainly disappointed at the lack of antibot measures the stores used

I feel that both Nvidia and AMD need to get crap for this. Stop rushing out cards that you only have a paper launch of. Seriously no one cares how fast it is if no one but bots can buy them.

2 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

I feel that both Nvidia and AMD need to get crap for this. Stop rushing out cards that you only have a paper launch of. Seriously no one cares how fast it is if no one but bots can buy them.

is the PS5/ XBOX also a paper launch?

supply is just outstripping demand

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

is the PS5/ XBOX also a paper launch?

supply is just outstripping demand

That's funny since you on multiple occasions called the Nvidia 30 series launch a paper launch.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:28 PM, GDRRiley said:

Haven't read it yet, nvidia just tweeted they posted following statement:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

I do love the BS in there. I don't believe for 1 sec they had anything more planned than a paper launch with sub 50k cards.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:43 PM, GDRRiley said:

Nvidia's doing another paper launch as always.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:41 PM, GDRRiley said:

its a dam paper launch for the RTX 3000. 

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That's funny since you on multiple occasions called the Nvidia 30 series launch a paper launch.

right because 50k cards for the whole world isn't a joke. 5 million isn't (PS5/XBOX) 1 million zen3

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

We'll find out in a couple days, but damn, if AMD seriously has similar stock issues to Nvidia, I better see the same "paper launch" comments I've seen with Nvidia. Turing launch was truthfully a shitshow, but for AMD to claim they will do better but then not actually do better is a serious mood killer. Hopefully RDNA2 launch is smooth, but I have my doubts.

UPDATE: Microcenter has said that RX6800 stock "will be extremely limited at launch."

https://videocardz.com/newz/microcenter-radeon-rx-6800-stock-will-be-extremely-limited-at-launch

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

in there it mentions they are getting airlifted even more. so they won't know how many on the day

aannnnnd this aged like a fine wine, too bad I don't drink alcohol and i prefer milk 

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

There was definitely fewer RX 6800 XT's than RTX 3080's on launch here in Sweden... 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

2 hours ago, ne0tic said:

There was definitely fewer RX 6800 XT's than RTX 3080's on launch here in Sweden... 

Did we even get any here in Sweden?

I am looking around in several scores and the only thing I can find is that Komplett are selling a prebuilt system with them in it. But those systems are out of stock as well...

https://www.komplett.se/search?q=rx+6800

Dustin, Alina, inet, CDON... No store are even advertising that they have launched.

Edit: I spoke too soon. inet has a post about the launch. The post says:

Because of very bad availability and the extremely large demand our approach to the released of the AMD RX 6800 and RX6800XT the launch will be a bit different".

Unfortunately we are unable to match the recommended price AMD has advertised because that price is below our purchase price.

Store where I was eyeing unobtainable RTX 3080's doesn't even have RX 6800XT listed lol

looks like Frank Azor owes someone $10 ...

For those wondering WTF I'm talking about ;

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, ne0tic said:

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Did we even get any here in Sweden?

I am looking around in several scores and the only thing I can find is that Komplett are selling a prebuilt system with them in it. But those systems are out of stock as well...

https://www.komplett.se/search?q=rx+6800

Dustin, Alina, inet, CDON... No store are even advertising that they have launched.

Edit: I spoke too soon. inet has a post about the launch. The post says:

well keep in mind this is just the reference card launch. usually the AIB partners combined get a much bigger share of the chips but ofc we dont know for sure and maybe amd decided to keep all of them for themselves lol

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

well keep in mind this is just the reference card launch. usually the AIB partners combined get a much bigger share of the chips but ofc we dont know for sure and maybe amd decided to keep all of them for themselves lol

people who have inside contacts are saying 2/3-3/4 of dies were given to AIB versions which launch in 1 week

Reference ones look so good I wouldn't mind having just that. I see no need to pay extra 100€ just to have some fancy name slapped on top with bunch of unnecessary RGB. I'd probably just replace stock thermal compound with something better as I usually do.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Reference ones look so good I wouldn't mind having just that. I see no need to pay extra 100€ just to have some fancy name slapped on top with bunch of unnecessary RGB. I'd probably just replace stock thermal compound with something better as I usually do.

stock they use a thermal pad and the cooler was built around them

39 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

looks like Frank Azor owes someone $10 ...

Presumably Frank will get out of it by using the nvidia defence: "there were units available therefore not a paper launch".

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible