Return your RTX 3080 while you can

HumdrumPenguin

My Asus 3080 TUF is working flawlessly for now, and that's with a 650W power supply. I can't say if it's lottery or if the problem is with other models. I'll be gaming a lot, I tried Satsifactory, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Halo 3 so far. I plan to play Cyberpunk 2077 in RTX at launch. If there are any problems, they'll show up sooner than later.

Jumping from 1080p 60FPS GTX 1070 gaming to 1440p 144FPS RTX 3080 gaming has been a blast so far! Personally I won't be returning the card even if I could sell it for double what I paid.

It is a free world. Stop telling people what to do. There are still people right now that are ordering 2080 Supers even though it is a huge waste of money.

If those people who bought a 3080 get fucked over then they deserve it and they will learn their lesson. That's the way of life.

I have been spamming in several posts that Nvidia will 100% release higher VRAM cards straight after AMD and that they gave us too litlte VRAM on purpose to bait AMD. Onec AMD announce their high VRAM cards Nvidia will suddenly announce Ti/Super versions with more VRAM and suddenly nobody will give a fuck about AMD anymore.

I said this long ago and I had like 10 people reacting with Funny on my post.

If you know better, good for you, but don't tell people what to do. It doesn't even matter whether Nvidia will release high VRAM cards "to add salt to injury" because we've known for a long time now that AMD is releasing cards end of October. Anyone who already bought the Nvidia card should be completely fine with being fucked over with better cards by either Nvidia or AMD. That's the price you pay for buying on first day or running off to Ebay like a kiddo to order a shiny new toy at higher prices.

Oh yeah, spread the FUD. The game is not even out yet and doesn't look next gen at all to me. Doubt it'll actually need 11GB of VRAM to play at 4K Ultra.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

31 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

It is a free world. Stop telling people what to do. There are still people right now that are ordering 2080 Supers even though it is a huge waste of money.

If those people who bought a 3080 get fucked over then they deserve it and they will learn their lesson. That's the way of life.

I have been spamming in several posts that Nvidia will 100% release higher VRAM cards straight after AMD and that they gave us too litlte VRAM on purpose to bait AMD. Onec AMD announce their high VRAM cards Nvidia will suddenly announce Ti/Super versions with more VRAM and suddenly nobody will give a fuck about AMD anymore.

I said this long ago and I had like 10 people reacting with Funny on my post.

If you know better, good for you, but don't tell people what to do. It doesn't even matter whether Nvidia will release high VRAM cards "to add salt to injury" because we've known for a long time now that AMD is releasing cards end of October. Anyone who already bought the Nvidia card should be completely fine with being fucked over with better cards by either Nvidia or AMD. That's the price you pay for buying on first day or running off to Ebay like a kiddo to order a shiny new toy at higher prices.

It's been said way too many times already, but, gamers don't need more VRAM than the current cards offer. There are a very few edge cases that will want it, but short of blowing extra money, it will do absolutely nothing for 99% of people.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

So many unanswered variables in this post.

10GB's isn't enough for what?

4K? Well right now it is, doubt it will be in 2-3 years

1440p? Since we are barely scratching 8GB in select titles, and with options like DLSS lowering VRAM usage I think we are pretty safe for some time.

Sure you can wait for a 20GB model, however "If" this gets released, when would that be? a couple of months? a year? when would there be any stock?

Better yet, what would the price be?

Sure if you can get a 3080 20GB model for 799$ MRSP in a month or 2 from now, yes it would be worth the wait and the price

But what if it 1000$ MRSP? Considering that the RTX 3090 with 24GB VRAM and only being marginally better than the 3080 costs 1500$ then say 1000$ does seem more reasonable for a 3080 20GB version, however I don't find 300$ worth it, I can spend that money pm getting a 5000 series 4-5 years from now, rather then keeping a out of date 3080 for another gen.

There are too many "if's" with the 20GB model, sure you can wait till october to see what happens just to be safe, but people like me, holding a well aged card that can die any day don't have much headroom in waiting

The 3080 20gb would be a 3080ti (whether in name or just based on its characteristics).  

Itll likely cost you 900-1000.   And probably wont be released and able to get in your hands until next year.

Aside from the fact that literally no one was worried about VRAM when the standard xx80 cards never had more than 8 gb VRAM, and 4k still isnt surpassing 8gb VRAM.  10 gb is fine.  Buy it now if you want it now

Or pay 1000 next year if you can wait that long.  Those are the likely options.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The 3090 makes no sense as a gaming card

That's because it's a productivity card first & foremost... it just happens to be 'decent' for gaming, too.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

11 hours ago, Moonzy said:

need some crystal ball for that because

1) we dont know if the 20gb are even launching

2) we dont know when they're launching, if it's soon then i dont see it or the 10gb being available anytime soon

The leaked Galax slide is pretty convincing.

GALAX-GeForce-RTX-30-Roadmap.jpg

I don't know why they'd make-up a 20 GB model for that presentation. And Gigabyte also revealed a 20 GB 3080 SKU.

But those aren't the only evidence: If there wasn't a 20 GB model coming, Nvidia would stamp-out the rumour because the rumour is causing uncertainty among potential customers and people are going to hold-off on seeking a 10 GB 3080 as things currently stand. And professional articles have been written suggesting that people do that.

If one wasn't going to arrive, Nvidia would put a stop to the speculation right now because the speculation is diminishing demand for the 10 GB 3080. That Nvidia aren't saying anything about it says to me that they can't deny that it's coming because it is.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

But that's not the only evidence: If there wasn't a 20 GB model coming, Nvidia would stamp-out the rumour because the rumour is causing uncertainty among potential customers and people are going to hold-off on seeking a 10 GB 3080 as things currently stand. And professional articles have been written suggesting that people do that.

If one wasn't going to arrive, Nvidia would put a stop to the speculation right now because the speculation is diminishing demand for the 10 GB 3080. That Nvidia aren't saying anything about it says to me that they can't deny that it's coming because it is.

yes im aware of the multiple leaks (i think gigabyte did it too)

it's PROBABLY coming out, but who knows

maybe nvidia would pull the plug when big navi is a flop

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

when big navi is a flop

*If, not when. It's not guaranteed to be a flop unless people fanboi about Nvidia exclusively.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

*If, not when. It's not guaranteed to be a flop unless people fanboi about Nvidia exclusively.

Yeah worded that at badly lol

Tbf the whole statement is a maybe

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

The leaked Galax slide is pretty convincing.

GALAX-GeForce-RTX-30-Roadmap.jpg

I don't know why they'd make-up a 20 GB model for that presentation. And Gigabyte also revealed a 20 GB 3080 SKU.

But those aren't the only evidence: If there wasn't a 20 GB model coming, Nvidia would stamp-out the rumour because the rumour is causing uncertainty among potential customers and people are going to hold-off on seeking a 10 GB 3080 as things currently stand. And professional articles have been written suggesting that people do that.

They love to put out double vram versions for whatever reason, no reason for most consumers at this time, but previously when 3GB was a thing it was actually a good thing to consider, but at around 6-8 you really don't need to look for much more, 8 will be relevant for a good while, and 10 as well.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

8 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

They love to put out double vram versions for whatever reason, no reason for most consumers at this time, but previously when 3GB was a thing it was actually a good thing to consider, but at around 6-8 you really don't need to look for much more, 8 will be relevant for a good while, and 10 as well.

Well those 3 and 4gb card did not age well, compared to their 6 and 8gb counterpart

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can look back and see that low vram is indeed not a good idea

I've said it once and I'll say it again, they don't call this stuff bleeding edge hardware for nothing. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just 7 weeks after the RTX 3080 10 GB was launched, it will already be insufficient to do 4k ultra. Look at the recommended specifications below. I couldn't agree with the OP more. Or be smart and just get a RTX 3090 and not have to a second card between now and the launch of the 4000 series.

WDLPCSpecs_RTX-v9_Blue-960.jpg

lol, this is a manufacturer problem. they did not do good power filtering, and many didnt have the "spec" of one array of better capacitors, and had  cheeper ones. Jayz did a video on it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Only in raytracing with DLSS on, only in certain games, and only when compared to the RTX 2080 non-Super. Individual components of the GPU were promoted as "2.4x", but those are only specific parts of the card, not all of it. The "1.9x" was specified as a performance per-watt increase at 240W, not at the card's functional wattage.

Yeah only in a few certain games where there is 2x the performance, and the performance per watt is just marketing unless you power limit and undervolt the 3080.

And it currently is, apart from 8K. Since it's not the highest-end, it's not doing the 8K well. (though it is technically capable of it)

I consider the 3080 to be the highest end "consumer" card because the 3090 is out of reach for the majority of pc enthusiasts.

That appears to have been their original intent, but chip yields were too low to be able to handle it.

The 3080 launch seems rushed, 10gb when it should've had 12gb, high power draw, cards crashing even though the AIB's would have to follow reference design.

I say let the people that rushed to buy a 3080 be the beta testers, but I would return a zotac card because they seem to be the worst and defineately not worth the msrp.

18 hours ago, Moonzy said:

why? just because you dont think it's worth it doesnt mean others wont

just look at the queue for it

or 2080Ti sales.

I'm just saying the 3090 isn't worth it because of it only being about 10% better for $800 more. Nvidia admitted the 3090 would be a limited supply card so demand may seem high but only a few people are actually going to get a 3090.

20 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Aside from the FE and Asus models, all other RTX 3080 cards seem to be consistently crashing at 2000Mhz+ core clock speed. Actually, people here in the forum are already complained about crashes on the FE model. To add salt to the injury, a leak from the GALAX roadmap shows that a 3080 with 20gb VRAM is coming, and likely very soon (as well as a RTX 3060).

Now... ask yourself, once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth? Not to mention that it will be bottlenecking your card's raw power rather sooner than later. The new consoles are raising the graphical bar, so don't go expecting to be safe with 8-10gb VRAM, because you won't be. It's the 1060 3gb and 6gb dilemma all over again. Thinking that you may need the extra VRAM more in 2 ore 3 years only, once 4000 series are released, is just wrong, because you shouldn't buy a product and expect it to be good for just a couple years. 

Also, for all of you who say that the card is good enough, I tell you this: you don't buy a high end product to settle for good enough. And hey, the RTX 3080 is not even that.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/galaxs-leaked-roadmap-shows-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3060/

These topics are very lost in translation. They serve as much use as the rage Nvidia is getting because someone didnt get a card on day 1.

First: If you would have posted this with graphs, benchmarks and reports of silicon quality´s etc, that would be one thing. This however is literally one step above " My buddy Jeff said ".

Second: Do you know how a card uses it´s memory, and how allocation works? If not, check that up before claiming that the cards are made with insufficient memory.

Third: Don´t blow things out of proportions. Some cards have been crashing, not as you say " all other RTX 3080 cards seem to be consistently crashing at 2000Mhz+ core clock speed. "  

Lastly: What on earth are you on about with the card is not enough? What do you use your card for?

I wonder just how many 3080s are kicking around out there with capacitors so substandard they shouldn't be on the PCB... I'm betting it's a lot.

The 3090 may seem expensive, sure $1500. But consider if you got a 3080 now for $700, and then get the one with more VRAM in 2021. That one with more VRAM only has to cost more than $800 ($100 increase in price, likely will cost more than that, I suspect $1000), to overall cost more than the 3090. Would you rather camp outside of MC and fight bots to get one card or two, not to mention reselling one card vs two?

$1,500 (Price of 3090) < $700 (RTX 3080 10 GB) + $X (RTX 3080 20 GB, some price greater than $800)

Would you rather spend more money or less. If spending less money means more performance?

anyone know how much more the MLCC caps cost each? considering asus put 6 of them on the tuf i have to wonder.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

42 minutes ago, xg32 said:

anyone know how much more the MLCC caps cost each? considering asus put 6 of them on the tuf i have to wonder.

Each of the MLCC caps on the ASUS cards look to be about $2 per cap minimum. There are 60 of them. Minimum of $120 for those caps alone. The big SP-CAPs are under $3 apiece at most. Maximum of $18 for those caps. That's a difference in price of AT LEAST $102. (bulk purchasing is significantly lower price for both, but the price delta percentage appears to be the same across each of the bulk prices)

*this information was determined by using mouser.com as they were the first site to come up on Google, and had prices from all vendors in an easily searchable/filterable format.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, Grihm said:

Lastly: What on earth are you on about with the card is not enough? What do you use your card for?

They seem to be on about the common forum trope that "10 gb isnt enough" because even though...

1.  8gb seems to have been fine last gen and before, even when the 2080 was playing at 4k just fine

2.  For some reason a card a tier DOWN from the Ti level is expected to have as much or MORE than previous Ti level (seriously people should be pumped it has 10gb, its a perfect price/performance spot and an increase from 8 gb)

3.  The fact that a card later will have more VRAM than now makes this one basically obsolete.  I mean a year later I can get a BETTER card?!  Why would I buy this NOW?

Its really a lot of faulty reasoning TBH.

The fantastic price/performance ratio and awesome 4k performance is not enough apparently.  It needs to also be able to game in 8k also, which at the moment is not even truly a thing due to logistics (ie anyone having an 8k monitor to put it on).

Edit: and the above doesnt even consider that its better higher BW VRAM...making their argument even more incorrect.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

The RX 3080 models that are having problems seem to have an inferior capacitor choice (read - cheap large SMD caps) than my Gigabyte HD7970 GHz and even rev 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 650ti OC 2GB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

18 hours ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

My Asus 3080 TUF is working flawlessly for now, and that's with a 650W power supply. I can't say if it's lottery or if the problem is with other models. I'll be gaming a lot, I tried Satsifactory, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Halo 3 so far. I plan to play Cyberpunk 2077 in RTX at launch. If there are any problems, they'll show up sooner than later.

Jumping from 1080p 60FPS GTX 1070 gaming to 1440p 144FPS RTX 3080 gaming has been a blast so far! Personally I won't be returning the card even if I could sell it for double what I paid.

Do you have the OC or the standard edition of the TUF ?

Great job picking ASUS !!!!