Return your RTX 3080 while you can

HumdrumPenguin
2 hours ago, Zberg said:

They seem to be on about the common forum trope that "10 gb isnt enough" because even though...

1.  8gb seems to have been fine last gen and before, even when the 2080 was playing at 4k just fine

2.  For some reason a card a tier DOWN from the Ti level is expected to have as much or MORE than previous Ti level (seriously people should be pumped it has 10gb, its a perfect price/performance spot and an increase from 8 gb)

3.  The fact that a card later will have more VRAM than now makes this one basically obsolete.  I mean a year later I can get a BETTER card?!  Why would I buy this NOW?

Its really a lot of faulty reasoning TBH.

The fantastic price/performance ratio and awesome 4k performance is not enough apparently.  It needs to also be able to game in 8k also, which at the moment is not even truly a thing due to logistics (ie anyone having an 8k monitor to put it on).

Edit: and the above doesnt even consider that its better higher BW VRAM...making their argument even more incorrect.

These hot takes are just going to look really silly once Nvidia unleashed the 10gig+ Super Ti cards ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This thread is a disaster, kind of like the launch for these cards. I do agree the 3080 should of been 12gb out of the gate. The issue I have with more Vram is this

3080 10gb is $699 for the cheapest models, the strix is supposed to be $850

A 3080 20gb card is gonna be how much, $1000? That makes the strix card $1,150? We aren't talking about a 3 to 6gb increase, it's 10 more GB, that shit won't be cheap.

Regardless of the 20gb models coming I could care less about that. I don't need 20gb of Vram, I don't play at 4k. Neither does most of the people that game on PC. Hell most people are still at 1080p and 10gb is gonna be overkill at that resolution. IDK how many of you talk to randoms that you get into games with but I've been doing that for a long time and most of the people that play on PC have what I would consider a terrible rig. As long as it runs fortnite and call of duty that's more then good enough for most people.

Many of us come in here talking crazy and act like we're not the minority when it comes to PC gamers. I game on a 1440p 144hz monitor, I mainly play siege, dead by daylight, older fallout games and call of duty. With my setup Ryzen 3700x, 32gb ram and rtx 3080 everything runs great.  At 1080p these same games would damn near run on a potato at playable framerates.

If you want to return your Rtx 3080 cards because they aren't all MLCC chips then go for it. Those chips are more prone to cracking, I'm a firm believer that many people complaining about it watched a youtube video and jump on the bandwagon. Like the same people that hate on certain brand but never owned them. People complain when they aren't happy with something, you hardly hear from happy users. I have no complaints with my $700 GIgabyte card, it's been solid so far.

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 9/26/2020 at 8:32 PM, HumdrumPenguin said:

Aside from the FE and Asus models, all other RTX 3080 cards seem to be consistently crashing at 2000Mhz+ core clock speed. Actually, people here in the forum are already complained about crashes on the FE model. To add salt to the injury, a leak from the GALAX roadmap shows that a 3080 with 20gb VRAM is coming, and likely very soon (as well as a RTX 3060).

Now... ask yourself, once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth? Not to mention that it will be bottlenecking your card's raw power rather sooner than later. The new consoles are raising the graphical bar, so don't go expecting to be safe with 8-10gb VRAM, because you won't be. It's the 1060 3gb and 6gb dilemma all over again. Thinking that you may need the extra VRAM more in 2 ore 3 years only, once 4000 series are released, is just wrong, because you shouldn't buy a product and expect it to be good for just a couple years. 

Also, for all of you who say that the card is good enough, I tell you this: you don't buy a high end product to settle for good enough. And hey, the RTX 3080 is not even that.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/galaxs-leaked-roadmap-shows-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3060/

The lower tier capacitors causing crashes at higher clocks has NOT been verified.  Multiple sources have had FE and ASUS cards crash too and I personally have a EVGA RTX 3080 XC Ultra which uses a mix of capacitors and it 100% fine with an OC.  

This whole narrative that 10GB isn't enough is bull.  Yes it's sad to see it's less than what you would get with a RTX 2080 Ti, but you got to remember most people play at 1080P, at 1440P there really isn't a game that 10GB isn't enough, and at 4K maybe there is what 2 games that 10GB starts to possibly become a problem?  IMO it's just a simple case of FOMO.  Also with the shortage of cards for the foreseeable future a RTX 3080 will be worth MSRP or even above for quite sometime.  Also a RTX 3080 doesn't degrade in performance in a couple years just something better might come out, so with that being said if a RTX 3080 fits your budget and system now and gives you the performance you like at the resolution you play it should last for the foreseeable future.   

This is a clear case of OP just having FOMO and in the end deciding not buy or support a card in the end is great because they fear items that aren't released, tested, or have any merit for buying as of today

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

With the RTXIO - would VRam matter as much when it could just "stream" from a NVME drive?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

22 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

These hot takes are just going to look really silly once Nvidia unleashed the 10gig+ Super Ti cards ;)

What will look even sillier is when the 10g card and the 20g card have the exact same performance because 4k gaming takes like 6-8gb max and isnt jumping forward at a pace that will require 20g.  But will be fun to watch the people convince themselves that they have to spend a few hundo on VRAM their games dont require (unless they play at 8k, which...they dont).

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

12 hours ago, Jrasero said:

and at 4K maybe there is what 2 games that 10GB starts to possibly become a problem?

Actually, that's the point where just a couple games start to have issues with 8GB... There is no game currently available, except with mods that are extremely poorly optimized, that will exceed 10GB.

12 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

With the RTXIO - would VRam matter as much when it could just "stream" from a NVME drive?

That is actually part of what they mention as a possible performance boost. They don't have to keep everything for a level in VRAM, because they can stream most of it faster and easier than before.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

On 9/27/2020 at 12:32 AM, HumdrumPenguin said:

Now... ask yourself, once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth? Not to mention that it will be bottlenecking your card's raw power rather sooner than later. The new consoles are raising the graphical bar, so don't go expecting to be safe with 8-10gb VRAM, because you won't be. It's the 1060 3gb and 6gb dilemma all over again. Thinking that you may need the extra VRAM more in 2 ore 3 years only, once 4000 series are released, is just wrong, because you shouldn't buy a product and expect it to be good for just a couple years. 

What the hell are you blabbing about?!

Yes,the PS5 and Series X have 16GB of GDDR6,BUT it's shared between the CPU and GPU - It acts as both RAM and VRAM...

10GB for the CPU and 6GB for the GPU or 8GB for the CPU and 8GB for the GPU.

They can split it dynamically as well considering the needs of both the CPU and GPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

Actually, that's the point where just a couple games start to have issues with 8GB... There is no game currently available, except with mods that are extremely poorly optimized, that will exceed 10GB.

Just reduce the texture quality and problem solved.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

32 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Just reduce the texture quality and problem solved.

That might be needed if running at 8k max settings, but the 3080 isn't an 8k GPU. There is no current game that uses (allocation is not the same as use) more than 10GB at any resolution.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Just now, BTGbullseye said:

That might be needed if running at 8k max settings, but the 3080 isn't an 8k GPU. There is no current game that uses (allocation is not the same as use) more than 10GB at any resolution.

Making a game with textures that will cripple any consumer GPU is easy,but it's also easy to make it small,lite and still good looking.

Some amateurs outsource 3D models in studio quality and import them just like that without reducing the number of polygons and/or texture resolution.

I have worked dozens of times on optimizing performance for video games,that's just part of the job.

15 hours ago, Jrasero said:

Yes it's sad to see it's less than what you would get with a RTX 2080 Ti,

Why is this sad? The RTX 3080 is the successor of the RTX 2080, which had 8GB's of VRAM

The RTX 2080 TI should be compared with the RTX 3080 TI

It is sad however that they plan to bring out the RTX 3070 with 8GB's when the GTX 1070 came with 8GB's

People getting a "2080TI like performance" might have to worry about 8GB's in a couple of years, this is the main reason I ordered the 3080 over the 3070.

I really don't need the performance boost, but I don't want 8GB's of VRAM

Just now, Exeon said:

It is sad however that they plan to bring out the RTX 3070 with 8GB's when the GTX 1070 came with 8GB's

People getting a "2080TI like performance" might have to worry about 8GB's in a couple of years, this is the main reason I ordered the 3080 over the 3070.

Nonsense,8GB is plenty.

Look at my comment above,the GPU in both Series X and PS5 doesn't have 16GB of VRAM.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:39 AM, Panoramix97 said:

Do you have the OC or the standard edition of the TUF ?

Great job picking ASUS !!!!

Regular version, and I won't be overclocking it.

I'd like to say I was savy, but I would have bought any 3080 available FE or AIB. By chance I probably bought the cheapest best one out there :D

On 9/27/2020 at 3:43 AM, Moonzy said:

sooo.... is turning down graphic settings not an option anymore or am i missing something?

don't give me the BS about "i paid for it", you paid for the GPU, not for the promise that it can run everything at max settings

This. Thank you good sir/madame!

My R9 390X can run a modern title at 4K, 60 fps with settings turned low. But the principle of 3-5 year refresh demands I upgrade...and im so glad I did not jump on the RTX3000 bandwagon. Im sooo eager to see what the RX 6000 can do. If it can give me 2-3x the performance of the R9 390X at the same power draw... I would be such a happy camper!