Western Digital - Mislabeling specs on drives

wanderingfool2

WD initially got a lot of press regarding the SMR snafu, and not to shy away from another controversy WD has apparently had their Elements drives labelled as 5400 RPM actually running at 7200RPM.  In short, the drives were running hotter and louder which lead to some people to question why.  They discovered that despite the 5400RPM being reported by SMART and the drive specs, the drives were actually running at 7200RPM.  While there doesn't appear to be any posted acoustical evidence yet, this may also be the case for some RED drives (based on power consumption and latency)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/western-digital-is-trying-to-redefine-the-word-rpm/

Recently, redditor /u/Amaroko set out to prove or disprove earlier netizens' findings. For each of several drive models, Amoroko placed a sample of that drive on an empty cardboard box, with a Blue Yeti mic held directly above it, then powered the drive on. Spectral analysis of the recorded audio using Adobe Audition showed a baseline frequency of 120Hz for two models of WD 8TB "5400 RPM class" drive.

WD Response

For select products, Western Digital has published RPM speed within a “class” or “performance class” for numerous years rather than publishing specific spindle speeds. We also fine-tune select hard drive platforms and the related HDD characteristics to create several different variations of such platforms to meet different market or application needs. By doing so, we are able to leverage our economies of scale and pass along those savings to our customers. As with every Western Digital product, our product details, which include power, acoustics and performance (data transfer rate), are tested to meet the specifications provided on the product’s data sheet and marketing collateral.

Honestly, using the term "5400RPM performance class" as a way to hide using 7200 RPM is ridiculous.  They made no mention of how they define performance class, and if the RED's are using 7200 RPM.  If they wanted to create a class, don't tack it onto a metric that is already used in the industry.  At this point I have no faith in what a WD product is due to the ample amounts of stretching the truth through dropped information or misleading information on product sheets.  (That's not to say the drives aren't engineered and might meet the remaining specs).

To be clear, I have no problem with 7200 RPM drives but listing them as 5400 RPM is just falsely advertising them (and for those nit picky, yes they are "performance class" and not strictly advertised as that...but they should outright not be allowed to mix terms without defining it)

Other Source

https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/09/04/what-madness-is-this-wd-5400-rpm-8tb-drives-sound-like-faster-7200-rpm-spinners/

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/ikk0rv/psa_multiple_wd_5400rpm_drives_are_actually/

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

"5400RPM drives turned up to 11!"  -Western Digital (probably)

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

If I remembered back then their drives are dynamic, where the RPM varies, it goes from 5,400RPM to 7,200RPM, depending on usage.

WD Red Pros are 7,200RPM.

Buys a 5400RPM drive and ends up with a more expensive 7200RPM. False Advertising!!!

The nitpicking is ridiculous.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Very uninformed about hard drives, but is there a reason this is bad? Doesn't a higher rpm mean it is faster? Are there downsides that I am unaware of?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

If I remembered back then their drives are dynamic, where the RPM varies, it goes from 5,400RPM to 7,200RPM, depending on usage.

WD Red Pros are 7,200RPM.

Buys a 5400RPM drive and ends up with a more expensive 7200RPM. False Advertising!!!

Yes it is.
That just means faster seek times across the disk, does not mean it's a problem just because it's spinning faster.
The only way it would be is for drives to start coming apart while in operation which is not mentioned in any quotes in the opening post.
The above post says what is probrably the only drawback from it and even that is up to the user whether it's a real problem or not based on personal preference.

To me:
It's just someone (Not the OP) trying to make something from nothing and run with it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

6 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Very uninformed about hard drives, but is there a reason this is bad? Doesn't a higher rpm mean it is faster? Are there downsides that I am unaware of?

Some complain it's loud and hot. But if your system have front case fans that draws in cool air and blows over the HDD, you'll be fine, no matter if it's 5,400RPM and all the way up to 15,000RPM. The person who did that dumb test is nitpicking to the extreme, so don't take that article seriously.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

It depends on what you use them for.

In general, 7200 RPM drives have better seek times than 5400 RPM drives, so some might even say this is a positive thing. But that depends on how the drives perform.

Those saying this is bad are probably using these drives in applications where seek time doesn't matter. For example these are NAS drives and in NAS:es you generally want low power consumption, low heat and low amounts of vibrations (because vibrations can damage hard drives).

All this is based on the assumption that the drives perform like 7200 RPM drives though. If the drives spin faster but still only get "5400 RPM class performance" then WD might just be selling drives that have the drawbacks of a 7200 RPM drive (heat, power and vibrations) with none of the benefits (faster speeds).

That would be bad.

34 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's about product accuracy.  Yes, it might be a bit nitpicking but it seems as though WD is having a habit of not properly specing a drive.  (I've mentioned back when the SMR thing hit, it's about preventing a slippery slope).  What skeletons might lay within the HDD's that aren't advertised (or wrongly attributed).  For myself, this is about the bigger picture of things.  Informed consumer choice, rather than hiding details in non-public definition of a term.

I wouldn't want 7200rpm drives in my companies NAS. I imagine for server farms this is actually a critical distinction. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

This is one of the more nonsensical things I've heard in a while. The spindle speed is a physical property of the device, not a performance property by itself. It is what it is, no more, no less. If it were variable (other than during spinning up/down) then it could be understandable if there was a range.

Personally if I had to buy a HD, I'd ain for a 7200rpm where available. Performance of slower models is painful even when you think you don't care about performance.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

A lot of people seem to be assuming that "faster must always be better" but that isnt always the case. For example:

What if you have a specific amount of vibration tolerance in your system and a 7200rpm drive is over that?

Or you have a power budget, and spinning at 7200rpm is over that?

Or what if you already have an array of 5 disks at 5400rpm and add a new one thinking it is the same thing, but it turns out the manufacturer lied to you?

Or how about straight up the manufacturer lied to you about what they were giving you and that should be a good enough reason to sue them for false advertising. Specifications are there for a reason, and lying on them deserves backlash and punishment. Calling something a 5400rpm "class" drive is purely there to deceive and misdirect people. There is no reasonable way someone could look at "5400rpm class drive" and understand that it runs at 7200rpm.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

i'd still not recommend seagate though, what other main HDD companies are out there? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

27 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i'd still not recommend seagate though, what other main HDD companies are out there?

Toshiba is the only other option. Samsung left, Hitachi got bought. And Toshiba is fairly small in the HDD space compared to WD and Seagate.

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Toshiba is the only other option. Samsung left, Hitachi got bought. And Toshiba is fairly small in the HDD space compared to WD and Seagate.

On a side note, my FreeNAS build is filled with 6x 3TB Toshiba drives. They work great.

On topic: I was under the impression that a lot of WDC's HDD's used variable RPM technology that can scale between 5400 and 7200 RPM. If that's the case, I can see why they would call it "performance class".

But if in actual operation, it's called a "5400 performance class" but is constantly spinning at 7200 RPM? I can see why that could be considered false advertisement. I quite like WDC HDD's, and in most cases, someone getting a 7200 RPM drive instead is going to be a benefit rather than a drawback (especially those who buy external HDD's and shuck them). But there are cases where this could potentially be a back thing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Generally getting free performance is great. And higher RPM generally brings that. Problem happens when these "mislabeled" drives end up being compared to other actual 5400 RPM drives and acing all benchmarks. Except noise levels. Which is the other problem, if you're looking for something quiet and you then get a 7200 RPM drive when you actually wanted 5400 RPM one...

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I was under the impression that a lot of WDC's HDD's used variable RPM technology that can scale between 5400 and 7200 RPM. If that's the case, I can see why they would call it "performance class".

...if they document it in the specs there isn't a problem.  My biggest gripe is that they use wording without defining it (when it's not clear what they mean).  I thought the variable was on green drives (could be wrong, just going off of memory on this).

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

someone getting a 7200 RPM drive instead is going to be a benefit rather than a drawback (especially those who buy external HDD's and shuck them). But there are cases where this could potentially be a back thing.

For myself I target 7200 RPM drives as a search, so something like that would benefit myself.  Doesn't make it right though; product data sheets are meant to be accurate (and not playing fast and loose with terminology).  [Like all other major HDD makers, they even put the footnote that 4TB isn't 4 TiB)

This is great for those that care about performance over power/acoustics, means the 8TB external drive you get is more than likely a 7200RPM 8TB drive that'll get a major bump once shucked.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

14 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

...if they document it in the specs there isn't a problem.  My biggest gripe is that they use wording without defining it (when it's not clear what they mean).  I thought the variable was on green drives (could be wrong, just going off of memory on this).

I too recall the Green's being variable.

I don't disagree that they should be upfront about physical specs. Particularly variable drives - I want them to list if the drive is variable. I also want to know the lower and upper RPM limits of it too. If they want to list what "class" it is on top of that (say, because of some new tech that allows a slower drive to perform like a faster drive), that's fine. But it should be a separate spec.

I'm not fully versed in every detail about this, so I'm not sure how "in the wrong" WDC is here. I will reserve judgement beyond what I've said already.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Western digital caught lying again?! wtf Going with Seagate at least I will know what I am getting

Welp another lawsuit heading to Western Digital.

I specifically do not buy WD's externals or Red drives because they are advertised as 5400RPM.

Now I need to know which of their Reds and white label Reds are actually 7200RPM (and not SMR) because that could save me a lot of moneys.
Shucking a 12TB WD Elements is way cheaper than seeking out actual 7200RPM 12TB drives.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

Western Digital has published RPM speed within a “class” or “performance class” for numerous years rather than publishing specific spindle speeds.

Oh FUCK OFF WD. This is such a political answer. Like an "Aha, but we worded it like this."

What the hell is the problem just labelling the drives as what they are. 5400rpm, 7200rpm, SMR, CMR.

I bought two 4tb WD RED Drives last year then had to go through all the worry of checking if they were SMR when that story broke.

I just bought a 14tb Elements drive about a month ago after a couple of weeks of research making sure I wasn't going to accidentally buy an SMR drive and now this. Sure 7200rpm instead of 5400rpm, it's not as big a deal as SMR, but the point is Western Digital is being dishonest... again!

The 4 drive failures I've had in the last 8 years are all Seagate. Drive failures are an anecdotal and personal thing (usually because of what's lost being important to the person), because I'll hear the same thing about WD from other people, but for the moment they've been the only spinning disk I trust, but their company is working really hard to erode that it seems.

I wish there were more players in this space.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

On 9/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, NumLock21 said:

Some complain it's loud and hot. But if your system have front case fans that draws in cool air and blows over the HDD, you'll be fine, no matter if it's 5,400RPM and all the way up to 15,000RPM. The person who did that dumb test is nitpicking to the extreme, so don't take that article seriously.

You are really trying not to understand what the complaints are about, are you? 7200RPM drives consume more power and run hotter and that matters in e.g. NAS-use, because you don't want a hot, noisy NAS that draws more power than it needs to. It also gets worse the more drives you have in it, the effect compounds rather quickly!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

51 minutes ago, includenull said:

Now I need to know which of their Reds and white label Reds are actually 7200RPM (and not SMR) because that could save me a lot of moneys.

Spoiler

wd-red-family.png.88200a4128f5b190ce7ab7295c0c03a6.png

Red Pro is 7200RPM, Red is 5400RPM, idk about Red Plus

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

8 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You are really trying not to understand what the complaints are about, are you? 7200RPM drives consume more power and run hotter and that matters in e.g. NAS-use, because you don't want a hot, noisy NAS that draws more power than it needs to. It also gets worse the more drives you have in it, the effect compounds rather quickly!

Let's be clear though - you can run 7200 RPM drives inside a NAS without problem. The Red Pro drives are specifically 7200 RPM drives, for example, and those are still "rated" for NAS usage - particularly larger NAS installations, which kind of refutes your last point.

Plus, almost all Enterprise grade 3.5" drives are 7200 RPM (granted they almost certainly get better QA).

Now, power consumption is definitely a measurable difference - and while some people may specifically be looking for lower power drives, looking at the Spindle Speed doesn't (and never did) tell the whole story. Anyone power consumption conscious should have been reading detailed reviews that actually measured idle and in-use power consumption.

WDC is wrong because they lied. This is a fact. However, many of the reasons people are complaining about don't have much real world impact.

With that in mind, WDC lying should be enough - no need to make up points that aren't logical to try and convince people - lying should be enough.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Now, power consumption is definitely a measurable difference - and while some people may specifically be looking for lower power drives, looking at the Spindle Speed doesn't (and never did) tell the whole story. Anyone power consumption conscious should have been reading detailed reviews that actually measured idle and in-use power consumption.

Actually one can look at the data sheet to get power draw (assuming WD isn't playing fast and loose with those numbers).  The only real world argument could potentially be the tone of the drive and loudness (I would assume a 5400rpm drive would create a 90hz tone, which to me is gentler on the ears than a 120hz tone)  *Either way though, you are correct the biggest thing here is WD stretching the truth.

With that said the added heat/noise can't be 100% overlooked if that was the reason why people were initially looking into this.

To those saying it's things like nitpicking though, what is preventing them from starting to do 7200rpm class drives but actually using 5400 rpm?

8 hours ago, Mateyyy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

wd-red-family.png.88200a4128f5b190ce7ab7295c0c03a6.png

Red Pro is 7200RPM, Red is 5400RPM, idk about Red Plus

See and this is where it gets interesting...how do you know Red's are 5400RPM?  (If the real RPM isn't listed, and as WD put it, "5400 RPM class" you cannot accurately say which drive runs at what RPM.