LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

44 minutes ago, Macaw2000 said:

I'm not sure how effective my folding will be mid-week. During the weekend, there were a handful of interruptions but now that the work week is here, the spot instances are largely unavailable. 

msedge_rRKctrAKQ2.png.70095708c18002f4371ba0d84c280339.png

In the last folding contest, I saw very few interruptions. GPU cloud computing must have really taken off. 

&^#$&*(@#$

You reminded me to check up on my merc and he's been shut down.  The spot price is still under my bid, but I'm still getting a capcity_not_available on my spot request.  I'm assuming that means that everybody is using up all of the GPU instances, but I'd expect spot prices to increase if that's the case.  Maybe it's everybody using on demand or something?  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

27 minutes ago, Intrinsic said:

I would hope so (see below). I was hoping, as a technical community, people would realize that some older high end hardware could be more powerful than more modern slower hardware. Rather than just thinking "it must be newer than ___ hardware . I was giving ___ hardware as a relative performance point people could compare against.

A GT1030 is about the same price as an RX550 but gives more PPD and costs less than half in electricity per million points.

For this application older hardware is very quickly eclipsed in efficiency.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

image.png.a87ab530bf1b97664bc3567a0eebbf44.png

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

image.png.a87ab530bf1b97664bc3567a0eebbf44.png

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAST!

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

@LAR_Systems I think there might be a slight calculation error, or I need to find me a 3090 ASAP 🤣

image.png.dfce52513954c5dcf2a7ce28df53f1f2.png

https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_datasheet?gpu_model=ga102_geforce_rtx_3090

BTW it would be nice if in points/kWh or cost/1M could be columns in the GPU list that we could sort by.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Someone asked what the minimum hardware speed for this even was. I took a kick at the cat at providing the minimum hardware speed that would get you: 20 Days with activity AND 500,000 Points AND 40 WU in 30 days time. I wasn't trying to speak to: The best bang for the buck, the most power efficient, the oldest hardware you can fold on (this is already listed on the folding web page), and so on..

can't seem to crack continous 3m PPD with my gear :(

managed to do it once..

image.png.56b9497a2d546351b1d01017ea1f7810.png

image.thumb.png.eb7ede7afa2f91d3ac9976d6791f6c15.png

@TVwazhere Can we haz 10 billion badge so I have something to look forward to?

Idk why I picked you to ask, but I do feel like you know who to ask lol.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Just start a new folding account and see how fast you can get diamond again.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Well, it's actually up to team leader to the best of my knowledge. 

I still think Mythic should have been like 2.5Billion to keep with the Exponential (logarithmic?) nature of points between each badge. (1m-25m, 25m-100m) (100m-500m) (500m-2 or 2.5B)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

@LAR_Systems I think there might be a slight calculation error, or I need to find me a 3090 ASAP 🤣

image.png.dfce52513954c5dcf2a7ce28df53f1f2.png

https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_datasheet?gpu_model=ga102_geforce_rtx_3090

BTW it would be nice if in points/kWh or cost/1M could be columns in the GPU list that we could sort by.

In F@H, GPU PAYS YOU!

I will give it a look, it's only the 3090 doing it... so probably need to adjust for spatulas or something... 

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I still think Mythic should have been like 2.5Billion to keep with the Exponential (logarithmic?) nature of points between each badge. (1m-25m, 25m-100m) (100m-500m) (500m-2 or 2.5B)

Oh. Well he hates me, so I guess I'm not getting a 10B badge.

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

We have no current plans to add any other badges due to the limited number of diamond/mythic badges currently in circulation. 

If you want more badges you need to get more people up to the diamond level. ;) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Can you please wait until after I get my Mythic badge before you start to change thing. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Rybo said:

&^#$&*(@#$

You reminded me to check up on my merc and he's been shut down.  The spot price is still under my bid, but I'm still getting a capcity_not_available on my spot request.  I'm assuming that means that everybody is using up all of the GPU instances, but I'd expect spot prices to increase if that's the case.  Maybe it's everybody using on demand or something?  

I haven't entirely figured out how pricing works. Price scales with demand but then at some point the spot instances just become entirely unavailable. I assume On-Demand, RIs, and others all get priority and the spot instances are killed. Right now I see instances running nicely in Ireland and Paris but impossible to launch anywhere in the US. I assume that will change after business hours.

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

We have no current plans to add any other badges due to the limited number of diamond/mythic badges currently in circulation. 

I like this mindset... it's F@H multi-level marketing.

He needs to define a downline of folders to get diamond so he can ascend to Double Secret Diamond level... a level so exclusive we don't even show it on your profile.

PS: Next badge should be at 175 Billion..  Bezos level.

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Imma go fold for EVGA.

They care about me.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Imma go fold for EVGA.

They care about me.

Brands are not your friends.

This PSA brought to you by, LTTSTORE.COM ;)

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I think, although I don't know 100% as it was some time ago that originally it was up in the air on wat the point value should be, but between talking to members and looking at the user table (there were only around 5-10 people who actually has one billion points or more) 2.5 was considered but there was only 2 members with that value or higher without many looing like they would hit it in the near-term. Which going of the fact that we are only at 26 people with over 1 billion as of now, I feel the right decision was made. 

Just as an interesting point, if it was 2.5 then there would only be 5 people who qualify for the badge as of now, which I feel is a little too exclusive and would feel unobtainable for many folders. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, LAR_Systems said:

Brands are not your friends.

This PSA brought to you by, LTTSTORE.COM ;)

EVGA is not a brand, it's a family.

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I think, although I don't know 100% as it was some time ago that originally it was up in the air on wat the point value should be, but between talking to members and looking at the user table (there were only around 5-10 people who actually has one billion points or more) 2.5 was considered but there was only 2 members with that value or higher without many looing like they would hit it in the near-term. Which going of the fact that we are only at 26 people with over 1 billion as of now, I feel the right decision was made. 

Just as an interesting point, if it was 2.5 then there would only be 5 people who qualify for the badge as of now, which I feel is a little too exclusive and would feel unobtainable for many folders. 

Also this decision was made pre CUDA update and single cards that can do 5.5 million PPD in a day.   No one was seeing that on the horizon at the time.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

EVGA is not a brand, it's a family.

Poor Den-Fi... we have already lost him to the brand managers ;)

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

You know what else is unobtainable? Things that don't exist. 😒

Just now, LAR_Systems said:

Poor Den-Fi... we have already lost him to the brand managers ;)

The free GPUs helped.