Crt monitor displaying 4 of the same picture

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
7 minutes ago, ricktheduck said:

The model number is D1194A its a hp monitor

That monitor isn't really multi-scan in the modern sense, so it will display garbage if you feed it any other resolution or refresh rate than the specific ones it's designed to handle.

Specs from an old catalog:

https://www.1000bit.it/ad/bro/hp/HP-PC-VideoSolution.pdf

image.png.f24cb14e5cdbacb8b4d2e9541f071e91.png

As you can see in the images there are some missing pins on the vga connector would it be that or is there any else I could do to fix it

4 minutes ago, ricktheduck said:

is there any else I could do to fix it

Replace the cable.

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Replace the cable.

Its hardwired

VGA used to have fewer pins. Not all of 'em are used. That cable isn't broken, it's fine to have 12 pins. 

Seems like you're sending an incompatible resolution to the monitor. Or, the flyback has issues. 

Does this happen on every resolution?

16 minutes ago, da na said:

VGA used to have fewer pins. Not all of 'em are used. That cable isn't broken, it's fine to have 12 pins. 

Seems like you're sending an incompatible resolution to the monitor. Or, the flyback has issues. 

Does this happen on every resolution?

I'm sending 800×600 to the monitor it only does this on this refresh rate (120hz) it garbles the image differently depending on the refresh rate but this is the easiest one to view

Just now, ricktheduck said:

I'm sending 800×600 to the monitor it only does this on this refresh rate (120hz) it garbles the image differently depending on the refresh rate but this is the easiest one to view

Image issues happening on certain refresh rates and resolutions is definintely not a problem of the cable. 
I'm not sure that monitor has the capability to send information about supported resolutions to the computer.AFAIK a 12-pin VGA connector will not carry EDID. Can you find a datasheet with the supported resolutions? 

9 minutes ago, da na said:

Image issues happening on certain refresh rates and resolutions is definintely not a problem of the cable. 
I'm not sure that monitor has the capability to send information about supported resolutions to the computer.AFAIK a 12-pin VGA connector will not carry EDID. Can you find a datasheet with the supported resolutions? 

Image issues happen on every refresh rate and rez , the monitor is svga so it is max 800x600

20 minutes ago, da na said:

20240427_185337.jpg

Just now, ricktheduck said:

20240427_185337.jpg

Does this on 60,70,72hz

1 minute ago, ricktheduck said:

Does this on 60,70,72hz

Oh, well then. You weren't kidding.

Could very well be that capacitors are the problem. I've had a couple monitors do this because of way-out-of-spec caps over by the flyback transformer. 

2 minutes ago, da na said:

Oh, well then. You weren't kidding.

Could very well be that capacitors are the problem. I've had a couple monitors do this because of way-out-of-spec caps over by the flyback transformer. 

Would the caps be dangerous to replace or is it viable to replace them

2 minutes ago, ricktheduck said:

Would the caps be dangerous to replace or is it viable to replace them

Potentially deadly if you do not know what you are doing/are not careful. I would strongly advise against opening the case if you don't have experience with CRT repair.

3 minutes ago, da na said:

Potentially deadly if you do not know what you are doing/are not careful. I would strongly advise against opening the case if you don't have experience with CRT repair.

How would the caps be out of spec tho its never been opened and looking in thru the vents non of the caps look bulging 

7 minutes ago, ricktheduck said:

That monitor isn't really multi-scan in the modern sense, so it will display garbage if you feed it any other resolution or refresh rate than the specific ones it's designed to handle.

Specs from an old catalog:

https://www.1000bit.it/ad/bro/hp/HP-PC-VideoSolution.pdf

image.png.f24cb14e5cdbacb8b4d2e9541f071e91.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm 99% sure that monitor is fixed scan, so it can only display 640x480 at 60 hz.

It will display garbage if you feed it any other resolution or refresh rate than that because the sync signals will be completely beyond its capabilities.

Fixed it lol

20240427_192048.jpg

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm 99% sure that monitor is fixed scan, so it can only display 640x480 at 60 hz.

It will display garbage if you feed it any other resolution or refresh rate than that because the sync signals will be completely beyond its capabilities.

I have no idea why it says its svga then

20240427_192220.jpg

1 hour ago, ricktheduck said:

I have no idea why it says its svga then

Because I was wrong about that part.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.