LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

1 minute ago, NetoriusNick said:

8 -9 hours im showing but It is not taxing the card at all
  exhaust air temps have dropped 2C + (yellow) have a low core usage on the other machine (green)which normally shows as higher temps on the yellow  

image.png

Which is where the WU stuff gets really interesting / fun.

Different WUs use / tax the GPU differently, some use the GPU more, some just need lots of memory bandwidth, some architectures seem to handle certain work units better or worse.

This is where changing GPU clocks to optimize performance gets really wonky... as you have to be careful when overclocking RAM etc. to get more PPD to find a good average overclock overall as an aggressive one might crush certain WUs while it may bluescreen your system when a different projects WU taxes the card in a different way.

Then there is the "My OP GPU IS NOT GETTING USED 100%"  very common issue, where the WUs are not going to use every GPU to the full potential... so getting the 3090 or a server GPU might sound amazing on paper.   But might only see 60% usage of that potential hardware on a majority of WUs because of the WUs running on it just can't take advantage of it.

This is where commonly for the same money you could buy 2-4 lower end cards like 2060 Supers for the same price as 1 high end card, they will run closer to 100% more often and you will get far more PPD for the money spent on hardware.   This is because the cost to performance is better, and your increasing your odds of getting a variety of PPD WUs vs getting stuck with one slow running one on a single card.

Really looking forward to seeing if this equation holds with 3060 / 3070 once available.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

10 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Which is where the WU stuff gets really interesting / fun.

Different WUs use / tax the GPU differently, some use the GPU more, some just need lots of memory bandwidth, some architectures seem to handle certain work units better or worse.

This is where changing GPU clocks to optimize performance gets really wonky... as you have to be careful when overclocking RAM etc. to get more PPD to find a good average overclock overall as an aggressive one might crush certain WUs while it may bluescreen your system when a different projects WU taxes the card in a different way.

Then there is the "My OP GPU IS NOT GETTING USED 100%"  very common issue, where the WUs are not going to use every GPU to the full potential... so getting the 3090 or a server GPU might sound amazing on paper.   But might only see 60% usage of that potential hardware on a majority of WUs because of the WUs running on it just can't take advantage of it.

This is where commonly for the same money you could buy 2-4 lower end cards like 2060 Supers for the same price as 1 high end card, they will run closer to 100% more often and you will get far more PPD for the money spent on hardware.   This is because the cost to performance is better, and your increasing your odds of getting a variety of PPD WUs vs getting stuck with one slow running one on a single card.

Really looking forward to seeing if this equation holds with 3060 / 3070 once available.

This is quite pertinent to me as I am looking to fill my SRX and SR2 up with cards but not sure which ones, not sure if I can do just 4 or could get 7 on each of them 

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I think others are interested, however like me are too lazy to do anything with. For it to work on the forums beyond signatures it would need to be done server side, which means someone who has access to the database would have to be willing to create troubleshoot and maintain it. It's not complicated to do if one knows how to do it, but with a forum this size one wrong move and even the simplest thing could destroy the place.

That's another reason I suggested just having something to verify who qualifies for what for the mods, but not actually make any changes.

My electric bill this month.... 😫

The additions GPUs are another 1200 watts of power.

Heads up guys: there is an NVIDIA studio driver update out now. Also make sure you get the P2 state thing reset aftereards

I don't think that the studio driver is optimised for folding.

Just now, d0ks said:

I don't think that the studio driver is optimised for folding.

I asked about it on the F@H discord server and one person said that they experimented with it and it didn't seem like there was really a difference in PPD but the Studio drivers tended to be more stable for it since they are not updated as frequently.

3 minutes ago, Collin_S said:

?

Ancient article, but replace XP with Windows 10 and ya got it: https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/26

Basically WHQL = this driver is stable and supposed to have no known issues with it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

32 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

My electric bill this month.... 😫

The additions GPUs are another 1200 watts of power.

I know the feeling.

For these events I throw in a lot of older hardware to max my ppd, but ofc its really inefficient.

With these new cards and the cuda update, I think this is the last event for a lot of my cards, especially the amd cards. 

2 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I know the feeling.

For these events I throw in a lot of older hardware to max my ppd, but ofc its really inefficient.

With these new cards and the cuda update, I think this is the last event for a lot of my cards, especially the amd cards. 

Yeah, seriously. The Cuda update obsoleted a lot of AMD cards. Nvidia was already out ahead, but now it almost doesn't even make sense.

1 hour ago, Collin_S said:

That's another reason I suggested just having something to verify who qualifies for what for the mods, but not actually make any changes.

To modify the db with badges is typically a numerical value split with "," or some other unique separator, they could also have their own column in the table that is basically a Y/N or 1/0. To have a script to only check but not modify would only make their jobs harder, because they would then get some sort of notification of change needed instead of waiting on for the person to wake up from their lazy slumber.

One could create a bot to post in a specific topic to help them out initially but while creating one and getting it to act sane is potentially fun, it's far more hassle and potentially resource intensive on both LTTs forums and own hardware than to actually run a background process, and would be 10x easier to just create a quick copy image script with your information with a press of a button, and if you're like me could be incredibly lazy wait 500 hours for your computer to actually find the proper script (maybe) and just make it in 5 minutes.

But.... This is me 99% of the time in 2020.

tenor.gif

Just got some water cooling gear for one of my rigs.  Say buhbye to 2 million PPD until I can bring it back online!  Hopefully it'll be quick, but this is my first time water cooling, so my hopes are not high for a speedy installation.

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

8 hours ago, GrockleTD said:

The cancer has spread to your VRM

old yellow it

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

40 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Just got some water cooling gear for one of my rigs.  Say buhbye to 2 million PPD until I can bring it back online!  Hopefully it'll be quick, but this is my first time water cooling, so my hopes are not high for a speedy installation.

The upside is when you come back might be getting more like 2.5 million... but your room is gonna BE SO HOT...  I have an AIO 1080ti and it kicks out more heat then entire systems combined off the rad as it's more efficient at getting the heat out of the case.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

1 minute ago, LAR_Systems said:

The upside is when you come back might be getting more like 2.5 million... but your room is gonna BE SO HOT...  I have an AIO 1080ti and it kicks out more heat then entire systems combined off the rad as it's more efficient at getting the heat out of the case.

Mr. Burns excellent | Mr burns simpsons, Burns simpson, Mr burns

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

Yeah, seriously. The Cuda update obsoleted a lot of AMD cards. Nvidia was already out ahead, but now it almost doesn't even make sense.

It's a pity you have so many 5700's then.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, FakeNSA said:

It's a pity you have so many 5700's then.

Just flash the XT firmware on them, problem solved.

i seen on some cuda cards a bit more power draw

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

12 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

i seen on some cuda cards a bit more power draw

I too have noticed higher power draw than before 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

While @Den-Fi trips breakers I blow fuses but I have not done that in at least a decade. That reminds me this thing is a litteral rats nest of wiring that goes from tube and knob to "modern" wiring I "love" what the previous owners of the house did to get that half of the house electrified...

IMG_20201020_154007415.jpg

12 minutes ago, Hunter50081 said:

While @Den-Fi trips breakers I blow fuses but I have not done that in at least a decade. That reminds me this thing is a litteral rats nest of wiring that goes from tube and knob to "modern" wiring I "love" what the previous owners of the house did to get that half of the house electrified...

Knob and tube wiring... my god...

plus I cringe slightly when ever I see wirenuts 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

21 minutes ago, Hunter50081 said:

As an electrician this is setting my arm hair on end... but not the worst I've seen by far, not that it's good, just not the worst