LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

3 minutes ago, NetoriusNick said:

oh yeah not wrong It was more of a thought (likely too far down the rabbit hole) as a way to expand on your db not F@Hs

Without F@H I don't have a DB.   The only place admin hardware access stats could come from with folding data would be their service, I'm just a web extension in a very locked down browser / JavaScript sandbox.

The alternative would be needing to code a desktop application that's a multi platform cross between CPU/GPU-Z and MSI afterburner that ties in to the F@H... while cool... would need a multi-person GPU driver expert team to code and maintain,  and that would provide results that only really pertain to an individual users system, and have little value to the folding community.

The reason I use averages is so the best folder can be the best,  the guy worried about their power bill can be far lower on the same GPU... and we can show the average between the two for those looking to make a purchase and see the headroom by project for the GPU.

Going beyond average or percentile scoring suggests were going to tell someone how to set the config on their specific card per each individual work unit.   This is a lot like copying someone else overclock settings from a forum...  You're going to see a lot of blue screens.   

This is due to all the other hardware in the system, load, settings and silicon lottery the specifics of fine tuning only really matter to the individuals system, not the community, and if your above or below the recorded averages by a margin you know if your on the right or wrong track tweaking your system.  (until a different project loads and everything changes again)

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

Going beyond average or percentile scoring suggests were going to tell someone how to set the config on their specific card per each individual work unit.   This is a lot like copying someone else overclock settings from a forum...  You're going to see a lot of blue screens.   

True, but if you could figure out a base clock average point count alongside the entire networks average it would give people a sense of idea what card can preform the best w/o any tuning. At least that was my thought towards it.

Also I read your site and noticed you use almost no data from F@H servers but collect it from your own extension, I need to re-learn to read apparently lol... It also means I'm not the only crazy person using a 640 too 🤯 You don't have a Firefox extension sadly, else I would use it (I have chrome, but recently it likes crashing or causing issues esp during games)

Well too late for the event this year, only just got my setup set up at my new apt. But I'll definitely be folding more now, I have electric heating, and I already pushed wooden desks right against the baseboards so this is my only choice to heat up the apartment :D 

Good luck to everyone participating in the event!

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

2 minutes ago, justpoet said:

@LAR_Systems Me too.

Posted this elsewhere but TLDR

Firefox has a bug / security implementation that prevents an extension from talking to local host over http the way I do in chrome, it requires https which FAH local service does not support.  The way around this requires running two copies of the JavaScript, theirs and mine, which is bad for overhead, still lets the window sleep, etc. so tried to build an extension in FF.. 

Plan going forward. Python script like the babysitter, than logs the data to the dB site, you look at all your machines using your username and API key in any browser you like on the site, works on all systems including headless servers.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

26 minutes ago, justpoet said:

@LAR_Systems Me too.

if you are on windows up date to the new edge and install there.  it is compatible with edge too as its built off of chromium but has MSFT spyware VS google Spyware in it...or Brave works as well and has neither.

and edge and brave are VERY Lightweight vs chrome. for example with chrome i cant watch youtube on JR (Scooty-Puff-JR: Dell Latitude 5179 | Win 10 Pro 20H2 | Intel m5-6y57 | 8GB Ram | 512 GB Toshiba NVME | Intel HD Graphics 515 | 30 Watt Acadapter) with out it loosing frames or buffering after 30 minutes of continous watching (system thermal throttles no fan only passive cooling) but have no issues on edge or brave.  needless to say chrome got das boot

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

We had our second mental health support group today, AND WE GOT PEOPLE!!!!

Meaning funding should be secured and thats just one more weight off my mind.

Meds have been delivered too.

things are starting to fall into place it seems.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

Plan going forward. Python script like the babysitter, than logs the data to the dB site, you look at all your machines using your username and API key in any browser you like on the site, works on all systems including headless servers.

I do like that idea better, it would also allow remote viewing doing so as well correct?

Oh I also noticed F@H actually has revisions for GPUs just not models by manufactures, they just don't associate them to WUs completed, they could, but don't.

1 hour ago, cbigfoot said:

if you are on windows up date to the new edge and install there.  it is compatible with edge too as its built off of chromium but has MSFT spyware VS google Spyware in it...or Brave works as well and has neither.

There is also Chromium that shouldn't have googles nonsense, not sure tho.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

I do like that idea better, it would also allow remote viewing doing so as well correct?

Oh I also noticed F@H actually has revisions for GPUs just not models by manufactures, they just don't associate them to WUs completed, they could, but don't.

There is also Chromium that shouldn't have googles nonsense, not sure tho.

i dont know if i trust vanilla chromium lol its logo looks too much like chrome lol...

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

1 hour ago, cbigfoot said:

i dont know if i trust vanilla chromium lol its logo looks too much like chrome lol...

It's opensource so unlikely to have googleware, the only ones I would trust is either threw Linux, self compiled, or here: https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium which leads to a site other than  google lol. Tho likely will crash more often than not.

so this seem to sum up the discussion today

4k328f.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

2 hours ago, Favebook said:

I will repeat what has been said many times in this thread already

This thread was started about 8 weeks ago and is 100+ pages long, I have other things going on, so its possible I haven't seen or don't remember everything stated within, sorry about that.

2 hours ago, Favebook said:

That database is up to date which is good reference for buying GPUs right now

Its a good reference that can be inaccurate, it paints a rough picture, but a gpu purchase should not be based solely on its data.

3 hours ago, Favebook said:

PPD is average of all OCs, PLs, BIOSes and any other settings that you could change.

A few of many great examples of variables, but with each variable the data becomes less accurate, as do the conclusions based on them.

There is no database better and more up to date than this one IMHO.

100% agree, I have never said anything to the contrary.

You cannot EVER eliminate all the variables UNLESS you make a database which would take EVERY variable in consideration.

Sounds right to me.

It would take much more time, much more energy, much more space and it wouldn't be worth it.

I wouldn't know about that, I think that would be up to lar_systems to decide.

@LAR_Systems

I think the work you have done on that datasheet is great, I admire the thought and effort that has gone into it, and your ultimate goal of providing people a resource we can all use to build efficient and cost effective folding machines, so we can fight for the good of humanity.

Its far from perfect, but its a great resource 👍

Blog post is here baby!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Time to go take my meds and hope for a decent nights sleep, if you see me around in an hour, you know the plan has failed. 

@Den-Fi you're crushing it man, I'm slightly scared if I'm being honest, I'm man enough to admit that to you.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Time to go take my meds and hope for a decent nights sleep, if you see me around in an hour, you know the plan has failed. 

@Den-Fi you're crushing it man, I'm slightly scared if I'm being honest, I'm man enough to admit that to you.

Good luck! Hope you get some rest.

Not commenting on this blog though.

Bad Den was not well received yesterday lol.

8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

...I'm slightly scared if I'm being honest, I'm man enough to admit that...

image.png.83fc716835f2013b15d0cb29831614c0.png

@GOTSpectrum Well well well look who we got here Watch your 6 Spec... ;) 

@Chachunka Welcome to the hood.  take it easy and we will get along just fine LOL.

Other wise looks like we getting tighter here. 

Honorable Mentions:

today disaster stroked - after I added one 980Ti in my big rig over the weekend, I went grocery shopping .. when I returned power was off - reason=> the breaker tripped in my office :( so both my 2080Ti's  + the 980Ti that I have added and also (2nd system) with RTX Titan stopped working for .. some time :( - see bellow what I have to deal with :) my UPS is in panic mode due to load :D over 1 kilo Watt consumption  

image.png.3c50f20cea958364cfe66d36b14c11ce.png 

I found out from GPU-Z, that both of my 2060's use the same TU104 as my 2080s, so thought I'd try to be lucky.

Screenshot_45.png.8fbab3dee8651d749f6a0a757a377a5d.png

So far it's stable. What's the chances that I'm pushing my luck with this single fan card?

Current Build

I made a thing.... Honestly more then anything it was an excuse for me to learn how to use python, but it seems to work half decent. 

Document updates every 30 minutes with updated scores from the FAH API.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oRpyeUs_hnWrF1JsU-u-TxxUe6SroDXH/view?usp=sharing

Getting the sheet to sort every time it runs is a pain in sheets, so you may have to sort B column Z to A when the document updates. (See Photo)

Learned a LOT about Python on the way though, what an awesome language! I had a more complicated version as well which showed trendlines, but it was starting to get out of hand with too many XLOOKUP()'s

image.png.622e944d6ac9a52cdfdf94a035416c95.png

Check Out My F@H Stats HERE

Check Out My BOINC Stats HERE

notice i got gold. had to take second card out. due to driver was not liking it. team green

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, dogwitch said:

notice i got gold. had to take second card out. due to driver was not liking it. team green

You had AMD and Nvidia in the same system?

Current Build

9 hours ago, Shlouski said:

This thread was started about 8 weeks ago and is 100+ pages long, I have other things going on, so its possible I haven't seen or don't remember everything stated within, sorry about that.

Its a good reference that can be inaccurate, it paints a rough picture, but a gpu purchase should not be based solely on its data.

A few of many great examples of variables, but with each variable the data becomes less accurate, as do the conclusions based on them.

100% agree, I have never said anything to the contrary.

Sounds right to me.

I wouldn't know about that, I think that would be up to lar_systems to decide.

@LAR_Systems

I think the work you have done on that datasheet is great, I admire the thought and effort that has gone into it, and your ultimate goal of providing people a resource we can all use to build efficient and cost effective folding machines, so we can fight for the good of humanity.

Its far from perfect, but its a great resource 👍

@LAR_Systems what he said, what you have now is wonderful. just on your mention of a move to python I was making suggestions to possible expansions to the program that may provide the ability to provide a clearer picture on "what does best".  as if you are able to get details like frequencies and voltages it could gave a clearer picture thats all.