LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

17 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

@NetoriusNick
Note: take it with a hint of salt because I’m drawing about 320w for my PPD and those figures are based on the 2080Ti drawing 250

Yep.  The PPD DB works off of stock values... you're gonna get people that have OP cards and power configs drawing way more for points and glory.

You are going to have others with lowest clock / power delivery designs of the GPU that then power limit them and you get far less.

Then silicon lottery... etc. etc.

Averages... the data I provide is averages ;)

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

*coughs in emergency 400w folding profile*

I image when the event is over there will be a slight drop in PPD as people set their power profiles back to "don't burn the house down" so their electric bill is not terrible all winter.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

PPD/W is better on newer generations, so once you upgrade it's up to you to choose to get more points for the same power or use less power for the same amount of points.

My 1070 puts out 1.1MPPD or so at 150W, sure the 2080S draws 250W... but gives 3.3M. And if I power limit it as far down as I can, it only draws 100W but still gives more than the 1070, about 1.4M.

My 5700 XT has a 40% increase in PPD vs the 1070 and consumes 300 watts roughly no monitor on no CPU folding (UPS readout 270-360W) vs the 1070 which has a 640 2 screens countless drives etc consuming under 300 watts. My 1070 roughly puts out 800k vs the 1.1+M but I don't have the 1070 OC'd (safety reasons) and I actively use the computer too. However looking up the power consumption the 5700 xt consumes 50% more watts, which is roughly in line with what I see for power consumption, and in that sense losses in PPD/W. However I didn't buy the 5700 xt for folding reasons, it's just a bonus.

IMO if you are looking at getting one or the other for PPD, I would say 2080 Ti used because once the 3070's start getting handed out the market price for the 2080 Ti's will plummet thanks to supply and demand since most use the cards for only gaming and productivity. The real question is what will the PPD be for the 3070, once we know that we will know how good of a deal it is for folding wise.

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

Yep.  The PPD DB works off of stock values... you're gonna get people that have OP cards and power configs drawing way more for points and glory.

You are going to have others with lowest clock / power delivery designs of the GPU that then power limit them and you get far less.

Then silicon lottery... etc. etc.

Averages... the data I provide is averages ;)

Question: How does the 3090 have a higher WU count and higher WU Time than the 3080? The math makes no sense 🤣

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

My 5700 XT has a 40% increase in PPD vs the 1070 and consumes 300 watts roughly no monitor on no CPU folding (UPS readout 270-360W) vs the 1070 which has a 640 2 screens countless drives etc consuming under 300 watts. My 1070 roughly puts out 800k vs the 1.1+M but I don't have the 1070 OC'd (safety reasons) and I actively use the computer too. However looking up the power consumption the 5700 xt consumes 50% more watts, which is roughly in line with what I see for power consumption, and in that sense losses in PPD/W. However I didn't buy the 5700 xt for folding reasons, it's just a bonus.

IMO if you are looking at getting one or the other for PPD, I would say 2080 Ti used because once the 3070's start getting handed out the market price for the 2080 Ti's will plummet thanks to supply and demand since most use the cards for only gaming and productivity. The real question is what will the PPD be for the 3070, once we know that we will know how good of a deal it is for folding wise.

Question: How does the 3090 have a higher WU count and higher WU Time than the 3080? The math makes no sense 🤣

The 3090 is underutilized folding right now.

A work unit that can run on any CUDA GPU is not going to be designed to max out the full 100% processing potential of the 3090.

It's also a less common card right now, so it's going to get less optimization in terms of drivers / F@H project core etc. etc.

Historically (Pre CUDA update) this has been seen where the Titan and 2080 TI stock were very close in F@H and could be almost matched by an optimized OP 2080 Super.  Making it not worth it when you factor in purchase cost and wattage.

It's also why in the 20 series.. the best PPD for $ has been the 2060 Super as you can fold getting closer to max hardware utilization, without spending tons of extra money for headroom and ram not being used by all projects with the power draw being far lower.

I'm really interested in 3060 TI and 3070 because of this trying to get the cost upfront vs PPD vs power used in the sweet spot when folding multi-card.

Toss all this out the window if it's your only GPU and you're gaming on it to... get what you like, have fun!

15 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

I image when the event is over there will be a slight drop in PPD as people set their power profiles back to "don't burn the house down" so their electric bill is not terrible all winter.

24/365 bar maintenance 

Just now, yaboistar said:

I'll be migrating to a more efficient profile for sure. I'll be using machines as part of the home heating but I want to get the best efficiency out of them 

Same... I got a 1060 to straight up retire and a 1080 TI hybrid that will go to night (lower KWH cost) folding only.

so really I should wait for 3060TI to drop (edit) to then decide what cards(edit end) to fill out my rigs with cards, would if i can bifurcating the pci slots help if i can to get more units in?, this is to go in custom server cases filling out the 7 slots on an evga SR-2 and evga SR-X

Edited by NetoriusNick
addition

1 hour ago, LAR_Systems said:

I'm really interested in 3060 TI and 3070 because of this trying to get the cost upfront vs PPD vs power used in the sweet spot when folding multi-card.

Toss all this out the window if it's your only GPU and you're gaming on it to... get what you like, have fun!

Don't get me wrong if one wants new over used for power the 3070 looks like it's going to be a great card, but trying to argue to go from last gen to this gen isn't much sense esp if it means you are trying to sell your "now" over priced card above the equal card coming out.

Yup it's likely why my 1070 isn't doing so well (plus I can't OC it), I got the 5700 xt for gaming reasons because the next step up was about $200-250 more in costs and didn't justify it in terms of performance, plus water cooling wasn't easily possible, I wasn't looking at folding or power consumption as a purchase decision.

1 hour ago, NetoriusNick said:

so really I should wait for 3060TI to drop to fill out my rigs with cards, would if i can bifurcating the pci slots help if i can to get more units in?, this is to go in custom server cases filling out the 7 slots on an evga SR-2 and evga SR-X

Truth be told buying used still might be best case scenario.

Also are all 7 slots able to be used at the same time? Or do they assume x number of slots will be empty? The owners manual should be able to tell you.

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

Don't get me wrong if you want new over used for power the 3070 looks like it's going to be a great card, but trying to argue to go from last gen to this gen isn't much sense esp if it means you are trying to sell your "now" over priced card above the equal card coming out.

Yup it's likely why my 1070 isn't doing so well (plus I can't OC it), I got the 5700 xt for gaming reasons because the next step up was about $200-250 more in costs and didn't justify it in terms of performance, plus water cooling wasn't easily possible, I wasn't looking at folding or power consumption as a purchase decision.

Truth be told buying used still might be best case scenario.

Also are all 7 slots able to be used at the same time? Or do they assume x number of slots will be empty? The owners manual should be able to tell you.

was not going to buy new unless they are really worth it ( more of an AMD guy but might use team green if they are the best option) (note I have now edited my previous post)

I'll double check if they can run, I know they can run 4 for sure! it will be a big upgrade from the R9 Nano and the dual exons in the SR-X (SR-2 is down, long story)

was not going to buy new unless they are really worth it ( more of an AMD guy but might use team green if they are the best option) (note I have now edited my previous post)

I'll double check if they can run, I know they can run 4 for sure! it will be a big upgrade from the R9 Nano and the dual exons in the SR-X (SR-2 is down, long story)

Also make sure they supply enough PCI lanes to them as well, they should but you never know as It also comes down to the CPU choices more than anything. at 8x all filled would need 56 dedicated lanes so it will be 56 lanes + any lanes needed for anything else. What some board makers also do is put x slots to 4x once others are populated.

AMDs make great heaters :) I prefer green, but like back with the 270 I'll jump ship if AMD produces better products for cost.

9 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Also make sure they supply enough PCI lanes to them as well, they should but you never know as It also comes down to the CPU choices more than anything. at 8x all filled would need 56 dedicated lanes so it will be 56 lanes + any lanes needed for anything else. What some board makers also do is put x slots to 4x once others are populated.

AMDs make great heaters :) I prefer green, but like back with the 270 I'll jump ship if AMD produces better products for cost.

just been checking the SR-X and SR-2 do x16 x16 x8 x8 when slots 1,3,5,7 are filled ( will triple confirm this before buying cards) (but as im getting what could be 8 cards it might not matter)

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

Replacing something you already own isn't a bang for the buck move.

As a general statement I would disagree, but from reading on I guess you are referring to yourself.

I think for a lot of people with 2080ti's it would make sense to sell their old (possibly out of warranty) cards and buy a new card like the 3070 with similar performance, potentially less power consumption, and a warranty, especially when people are still buying 2080ti's for more than the price of a 3080.

If I were using 2080ti's just for folding then I would definitely be getting rid of them with the hope of replacing them with 3070's, I doubt the 3070 is going to consume more power, but I'm fairly certain with more and better cuda cores it will perform better in FAH, we will see.

The biggest issue will be getting hold of the damn cards.

25 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

True. I wonder what the person w/ the 3080 is drawing.

My 3090 draws 280w - 300w for 6-7mil ppd, and the 3080 draws 260w - 280w for 5-6mil ppd, these are the numbers with 100% power limit. 

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

I think this site is interesting and offers useful information, I mean no disrespect but its basically userbenchmark.com for folding, there are vast numbers of variables that can't be accounted for, so any info I see on there I take with a gain of salt.

RTX 3090

image.thumb.png.80dd21af55a123f92bc61e8534d7251e.png

This is a huge 50w-70w off for me, which invalidates the much of the data, and this also doesn't take power limits and overclocks into account.

RTX 3080

image.thumb.png.a0e66199ae4c747cbd10800f1fd6a64c.png

For me this is also off by 40w-60w.

Its an impossible task for this site to eliminate the vast number of variables to achieve accurate numbers, but it does a good job under the circumstances, I'm impressed.

2 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

As a general statement I would disagree, but from reading on I guess you are referring to yourself.

Correct. I was speaking of none but myself since the original statement was that I would run out and pre-order 50 3070s with no actual benefit in doing so.

This was probably discussed before, but i set my PC to only do cancer WU's and now i take a random look and it's working on Covid again.

Any idea why?

image.png.84a2a7b3b6c2877f7733a9b56297078b.png

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

This was probably discussed before, but i set my PC to only do cancer WU's and now i take a random look and it's working on Covid again.

Any idea why?

if you look next to the cause preference dropdown, it says stuff about you aren't guaranteed to always be working on cancer WUs

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

31 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Correct. I was speaking of none but myself since the original statement was that I would run out and pre-order 50 3070s with no actual benefit in doing so.

I meant that only as a joke, to be honest. :D

Just now, d0ks said:

I meant that only as a joke, to be honest. :D

I know, lol.... who knew it would turn into whatever this was.

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

Any idea why?

It gives you what is available, it's a preference and states not guaranteed. Chances are all Cancer WU for your setup are taken at the time of request.

I also take it that mining cards can be used if flashed to stock?

They should work w/o a flashing. Could be wrong tho.

Just now, Gegger said:

if you look next to the cause preference dropdown, it says stuff about you aren't guaranteed to always be working on cancer WUs

lmao, yeah reading helps.

do you know if i can set a priority list? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, FloRolf said:

not that I know of, but I'm not all that experienced in folding things (well, except for origami)

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

Nope, just choose from the list and hope you get what you want, unless there are advanced options I don't know about.

1 hour ago, Gegger said:

except for origami

It can be fun at times.

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

No way to prioritize, you get whatever the servers have available.

From what I've seen since I started collecting data at the beginning of the event, cancer WUs are 1 in 7ish for GPU and 1 in 130 for CPU; overall covid-19 WUs account for roughly 75% of the sample.

Mind you this is only for my hardware and isn't representative of what others may experience, just some food for thought.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB