Were the early 2000s (2000-2012) much better than life today?

kaankayis

Were the early 2000s (2000-2012) much better than life today?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Were the early 2000s (2000-2012) much better than life today. (personally, I think people were a lot NICER in the earlier 2000s; and tech was much more "fun" )

• Early 2000s were better.
    • Everything is better now!
    • see results because you are indecisive

Maybe it's just me, but I whole-heartedly believe that the early 2000s were some of the best times.. ever.

I mean, there were so many more exiting things going on in the world. The powers of gaming consoles, mobile tech, and PC hardware were rapidly evolving, and people were just a lot happier. 

Do you personally think life has gotten better, or worse over the past decade. By this, I mean things such as...

1) How has society changed?

2) Is/Was the youth actually HAPPY, instead of depressed all the time?

3) Have people become desensitized to everything? 

I'm just curious lol.

1 minute ago, kaankayis said:

How has society changed?

pre-2012: -flashback to MMO raids and guild members-

post-2012: memes

both are good

3 minutes ago, kaankayis said:

Is/Was the youth actually HAPPY, instead of depressed all the time?

I've always been depressed, before and after 2012

Spoiler

image.png.42eb8535106ad94b82859c5b3e287683.png

5 minutes ago, kaankayis said:

Have people become desensitized to everything?

I would say people's attention span have decreased significantly due to the amount of entertainment we have

hard to keep focus on one thing

8 minutes ago, kaankayis said:

Maybe it's just me, but I whole-heartedly believe that the early 2000s were some of the best times.. ever.

nostalgia aside, give me 2010 internet speed today and i'll probably start a killing spree

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Experience the SPEED of a (up to) 512Kbps Internet connection!!! Surf the network, send emails, chat with your friends using ICQ, share documents! and ALL at the same time! (actual speeds may differ from advertised, email address not included)

hold on let me

MOM GET OFF THE PHONE IM PLAYING MINECRAFT

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It depends on how you look at it. I was only 6 at the turn of the millennium and being raised by a fairly strict Christian upbringing I was relatively "sheltered." At the same time, outside the middle east it seemed like everyone was less pissed off about everything, politics were a smaller issue, people actually went outside and socialized instead of staring at their phones, the History and Discovery channels were my go to for actual learning and knowledge instead of swamp people, mountain men, and reality shows...

Oh, and past "pandemics" didn't cause a global year-long shutdown of everything.

#Muricaparrotgang

You might want to look up the word "nostalgia". It seems like you are affected by it. 

Edit: I looked it up and OP Is something like 15-17 years old. So he was born in 2003-2005. Of course you will think the 2000-2012 were great! It was back when you were very young, had no responsibilities and everyone fixed everything for you at all times. Your days consisted of:

1. Waking up
  2. Eating breakfast (served to you)
  3. Play around
  4. Play some more
  5. Eat lunch (served to you)
  6. Have fun
  7. Play and have fun
  8. Eat dinner (served to you)
  9. Have some more fun.
  10. Go to bed

How can you NOT think those years were the best? But the thing is that if you had been born 10 years earlier you would be going "were the early 90's to 2002 much better than life today?". Because it has far more to do with what stage of life you were at rather than the calendar year.

3 hours ago, kaankayis said:

Do you personally think life has gotten better, or worse over the past decade. By this, I mean things such as...

1) How has society changed?

2) Is/Was the youth actually HAPPY, instead of depressed all the time?

3) Have people become desensitized to everything? 

Can confirm the youth were depressed the. Too.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just to remind that you could only mainstream back then.

Likes PC? Nerd and wierd

Not religious? (varies per country): burn him

Talking about internet?: Heretic

Gay?: Definitely burn him

Try to pay via card?: You have no power here. Only cash please

People forget how easily is to be different now

2000-2015 was great! I was young, free and childless!

now I am married with children, oh well

in all serious now is better, we were so naive when it came to internet safety and security, we are getting much better at it now which is a good thing.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Nothing really changes. every generation thinks they are the only ones that understand tomorrow, every generation blames the one before, every generation thinks things are different now so they have to be treated differently, every generation thinks the younger generations are fucked, every generation doesn't get something.

The reality is if you look back on the good things you will only remember the good things, if you are bitter you will only remember the bad things, and if you have been paying attention you'll now that the grass is never greener on the other side and memories a not accurate.

LaWlz is right, nostalgia will distort your past and being young (under 16) during that time means you didn't experience a fair bit of the harsher side of life, just the easier stuff as no one expects you to be able to do anything.

I remember being idealistic,  I still cringe when I think back to arguments I have made regarding politics, religion and all the ism's,  It's easy to be idealistic when you are young, you don't have years of life getting in the way of your desires and you don't have the money to lose trying to fix it, because you are never confronted by being in the position of having to put your money where your mouth is.   

For me hardware did seem to be more expensive and upgrades seemed to be a yearly thing, not a 5 or 8 yearly event they are today. Could just be the position I was in financially though.  I had some good systems but they did get long in the tooth long before I felt I could justify spending more on them. Now I have 4 mid tier or higher gaming systems I maintain perpetually.

So, no, even though I enjoyed most of my past, I think we are in a golden time right now as far as tech goes and as far as the future goes.  The biggest hurdle we humans have to face is wealth distribution.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, marknd59 said:

But do you agree with me the 80's were good ?

Well, no. I'm a nerd, I like technology: looking back, there's not much difference between what we had back then and during the stone-ages! My Ericsson-phone was the size (and weight) of a god damn brick, everything had to be done in-person, communicating with people afar was slow and so on. Besides, I like a lot of the progress we've made in the years since wrt. acceptance of sexual-orientation, gender-identities etc.

Though, looking through my rose-coloured nostalgia-glasses, I'd say the music was better back then. So many good rock-bands and individual songs, those days!

Ps.: fuck rap and hip-hop. Fuck it with a big, sharp cactus in the ear.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2000s: Had all the time in the world to MMO and goof off online

Present: Work 40-60 hours per week, eat dinner, go to sleep

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

2000s i was stupid kid 0-10 years old with no money.

now i'm 19 stupid "technically an adult" 19 yearold with money,  but also responsabilities.

fuck me this is harder than expected

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Early 2000s paved the path for a fucked economy we live in today.

The world trade buildings.

Life was good during the 80s and 90s.

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You might want to look up the word "nostalgia". It seems like you are affected by it. 

^ this

It's normal to be nostalgic of times where responsibilities and worries were low, if not nonexistent. I think it's the same for everyone, really.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

These years are much better (not 2020). 
we’ll always see the past through rose-tinted glasses. 

During that time frame: Worst break up, dad passed away, cat that kept me sane passed away, was homeless, worst depression during any point of my life

No OP, that was definitely not a better time.

It was better for me, not because of the era; but because of what I used to be (as in, I used to be a kid for of ambitions; instead of an adult full of anxiety)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/