Elite Dangerous adds the option to purchase pre-built ships for money, sharply increases many store prices at the same time

Arxxuss
Posted (edited)

Spaceflight game Elite Dangerous has introduced two pricing updates that have caused controversy amongst many players of the game. 

As of May 7th, Frontier Developments (the game's developer) are introducing the ability to unlock pre-built loadouts of certain ships for ARX (the premium currency of the game): this comprises 'instant-access to a pre-fitted ship, a ship kit, and a paint job'.

This will also include 3-month-early access to a new ship, the game's first in six years. Previously, ships had only been buyable with in-game credits, and this is the first non-cosmetic set of items purchasable in the store. Frontier has aimed these to be a 'quicker way for newer players to get involved in the areas they have the most interest in'.

In addition, the prices of many cosmetic items in the store appears to have changed, in some cases more than doubling (for example weapon and engine colours going from 2240 to 5000 ARX). Frontier recently indicated that there would be "ARX pricing adjustments' that might occur recently, but provided no further details.

This change has sparked a thoroughly mixed reaction from the game's community. Some are outraged that access to new content is being paywalled and felt that the pricing 'adjustments' were communicated inadequately, while others are appreciative of the developers making an effort to gain additional revenue sources from an ageing game. Others are worried about the precedent this may set for the future of Elite.

It should be noted that players gain 400 weekly ARX for free, but this requires the player to be active within the game.

IGN covered the first topic:

https://www.ign.com/articles/elite-dangerous-dev-frontier-announces-plans-to-sell-ships-for-real-money-sparking-backlash

Pricing update mentioned and new ship store access announcement:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/python-mk-ii-updates-gamestore

Edited by Arxxuss
Adding quotes and clarification.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Arxxuss said:

This template is a guide for the Tech News Posting Guidelines. Please read the guidelines in the pinned topic before posting, otherwise your post may be removed without warning. If you prefer, you can clear the editor to use your own layout by clicking the trash can icon above, but make sure you incorporate all of these sections and follow the Posting Guidelines.

Remove all of the italicised text before posting.

Summary

In a couple of sentences, describe the news. This is also a good place to include a relevant image. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Give a few sentences with your thoughts on the news. For example, this might be why you think the news is interesting, what you think the broader implications of this news are for the tech industry, or how you expect the story to develop in future. 

Sources

Add links to the news sites that you used to write this post 

JonTron WTF on Make a GIF

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Pay to win is the new bussiness model nowadays really.

Cant get more fomo than literally being behind because you dont pay up enough

I bought this game at the lifetime update tier on kickstarter although I haven't been active in it for about 6 years. Wait, how old is this game now? 10 years in December.

I always wondered how sustainable it would be as it was a one time payment to buy (same again for expansions) it but there was no ongoing sub. It is live service even in "single player" mode so they would need ongoing revenue to keep it going. Cosmetics were only going to go so far.

I have no idea what the current playerbase is like as I dropped out of the community. We might see the trend of other MMOs as they age where they try to get in new players by going f2p and rely on microtransactions.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

When I was a teenager, F2P games were my lifeblood. I didn't have any money, so these games were the only ones I could really play. Nowadays I'm disgusted and lose interest in any game at the slightest hint of pay2win or pay4convenience. Because at that point the developers are actively incentivized to make the game less convenient, more grindy, or generally worse for the people who don't pay.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

43 minutes ago, porina said:

We might see the trend of other MMOs as they age where they try to get in new players by going f2p and rely on microtransactions.

Basically all have done that and the only one that I know off that went f2p and lived past 2 years has been guild wars 2. Everything else died.

On that note guild wars 1 is able to still run with the extremely minimal purchases made on it due to having appearantly extremely efficient server side code and thus being extremely cheap to run.

1 hour ago, Arxxuss said:

Spaceflight game Elite Dangerous has introduced two pricing updates that have caused controversy amongst many players of the game. 

As of May 7th, Frontier Developments (the game's developer) are introducing the ability to unlock pre-built loadouts of certain ships for ARX (the premium currency of the game): this comprises 'instant-access to a pre-fitted ship, a ship kit, and a paint job'.

This will also include 3-month-early access to a new ship, the game's first in six years. Previously, ships had only been buyable with in-game credits, and this is the first non-cosmetic set of items purchasable in the store. Frontier has aimed these to be a 'quicker way for newer players to get involved in the areas they have the most interest in'.

In addition, the prices of many cosmetic items in the store appears to have changed, in some cases more than doubling (for example weapon and engine colours going from 2240 to 5000 ARX). Frontier recently indicated that there would be "ARX pricing adjustments' that might occur recently, but provided no further details.

This change has sparked a thoroughly mixed reaction from the game's community. Some are outraged that access to new content is being paywalled and felt that the pricing 'adjustments' were communicated inadequately, while others are appreciative of the developers making an effort to gain additional revenue sources from an ageing game. Others are worried about the precedent this may set for the future of Elite.

It should be noted that players gain 400 weekly ARX for free, but this requires the player to be active within the game.

IGN covered the first topic:

https://www.ign.com/articles/elite-dangerous-dev-frontier-announces-plans-to-sell-ships-for-real-money-sparking-backlash

Pricing update mentioned and new ship store access announcement:

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/python-mk-ii-updates-gamestore

My real question is the new account to post this.  Why?

So the game moved to pay to Win, sucks.  Hate that, cuz I am cheap 🙂

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

-Moved to PC gaming-

The formatting does not comply with Tech News Guidelines. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

47 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Basically all have done that and the only one that I know off that went f2p and lived past 2 years has been guild wars 2. Everything else died.

On that note guild wars 1 is able to still run with the extremely minimal purchases made on it due to having appearantly extremely efficient server side code and thus being extremely cheap to run.

swtor lived and is living its best life f2p

1 hour ago, jubjub said:

swtor lived and is living its best life f2p

I forgot about that one!

True that one lived too.

Else most kinda died shortly after.

Buy once play on mmo's have gotten rare these days and usually the buy in is their biggest monetary gain. That and the whales that dump money.

2 hours ago, Dedayog said:

My real question is the new account to post this.  Why?

So the game moved to pay to Win, sucks.  Hate that, cuz I am cheap 🙂

New account simply because I've never needed to post anything to the forums before. Lurked LTT forums for about 4 years now with nothing I've felt strongly on that other people didn't cover well 🙂

12 minutes ago, Arxxuss said:

New account simply because I've never needed to post anything to the forums before. Lurked LTT forums for about 4 years now with nothing I've felt strongly on that other people didn't cover well 🙂

Well join us!  Shoot the shit or offer opinions on stuff, the more the merrier 🙂

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi