Dear LTT, please stop hating Apple

zicru
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

That doesn't fly. If the thermal sensor reads a thermal limit, it's throttling. And sorry, but when a 1100$ i5 device is running at a single GHz due to the temperature being 100*C, we have a serious problem. Especially when competing devices can easily hit 2.5GHz or more. Not to mention the fact that the "base clock" excuse does not fly - making your base clock 1.1GHz doesn't fix the massive thermal issues in the design. What next, base clock is 100MHz so technically the 9900KFC Apple edition can run passively? Bullshit and you know

Apple doesn't determine base clock, intel does. apple doesn't decide tdp is based on base clock, intel does. a cpu throttles if it goes below base clock, not below boost clock. your problem is with intel here, not apple. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

Apple doesn't determine base clock, intel does. apple doesn't decide tdp is based on base clock, intel does. a cpu throttles if it goes below base clock, not below boost clock. your problem is with intel here, not apple. 

The CPU runs at 100*C because of Apple's pitiful cooling solution. If the CPU weren't at 100*C, it would boost MUCH higher. Therefore, the issue is Apple's horrid cooler. End of story.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

The CPU runs at 100*C because of Apple's pitiful cooling solution. If the CPU weren't at 100*C, it would boost MUCH higher. Therefore, the issue is Apple's horrid cooler. End of story.

100c is the limit that intel sets, not that apple sets. again, your problem is with intel, not apple. 

if the cpu runs at base clock at 100c, it's within intel's spec. 

She/Her

LTT themselves are usually pretty fair to Apple, even if they seem anti-Apple at times to be hip with a massive portion of the enthusiast community. Fact is a massive portion of the PCMR really hates Apple, and LTT caters to that audience. In the mobile tech enthusiast space you still see a lot of people who decry iPhones, but a lot of people really love them. In the end it's the typical fanboy thing that tends to happen, you see it in all the Intel vs AMD wars and such too. Not really way to stop it, but it does get tiring when people insist they're objective while subjectively setting the requirements for a "good" device, then refusing to acknowledge that other people subjectively decide other criteria matter more. 

I use Apple stuff for work, Windows doesn't go well with my workflow, and Linux cannot do what I need without more hassle than it's worth. I use iOS on mobile because it works well with my Macs and I prefer the OS to Android for very specific reasons (I like the keyboard and how it handles notifications better, for quick shots I prefer Apple's camera app). I use Windows at home, Linux and Mac cannot run my games and/or don't support my hardware. I prefer Intel because I have a specific set of wants most other people don't share, so Ryzen isn't fun for me. I'm leaning towards Nvidia because my personal experience with recent AMD cards hasn't been too great. 

These are all subjective and specific to me. A lot of people don't want to recognize personal preference, while loudly advocating for value to be decided solely by the metric they personally prefer. 

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

100c is the limit that intel sets, not that apple sets. again, your problem is with intel, not apple. 

The MacBook Air cooler is objectively terrible if you're regularly running all-core load. I have two on the way for work, I'll be able to see how they actually behave under normal office load. 

MacBook Pros aren't regularly hitting 100C, the base model quads will go up to 97C then hold there at 2.7Ghz, much higher than the 1.4Ghz base clock, so that's a moot point. Under normal office work they sit at around 40-50C. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

30 minutes ago, Twilight said:

But if Apple made a cooling solution that kept the processor at a lower temperature, it would boost higher.  Much of the performance in a modern processor lies in the boost range.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

6 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

But if Apple made a cooling solution that kept the processor at a lower temperature, it would boost higher.  Much of the performance in a modern processor lies in the boost range.

apple (and other thin&light laptop manufacturers) design their computers around intel's guidelines. an example of this was the Asus ZenBook Pro with the i9 option, that also throttled like absolute hell. 

She/Her

On 4/18/2020 at 10:23 AM, wkdpaul said:

There's also preference, and use cases to think about.

I can't think of a single use case where a Mac prevails over an equivalently specced PC running some flavor of *nix.

Back in the Mac I and Mac II days, sure, it was way above and beyond everything else. But these days you can get literally the same thing, minus the logo, for pennies on the dollar.

I think that most of the Apple v. Others arguments stem from one simple question: What do you get for your money?

IMO:

• PC > Mac
  • iPad > Android/Windows tablet (except possibly a Surface, but a Surface is more laptop than tablet)
  • Android > iPhone.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

12 minutes ago, Twilight said:

apple (and other thin&light laptop manufacturers) design their computers around intel's guidelines. an example of this was the Asus ZenBook Pro with the i9 option, that also throttled like absolute hell. 

I personally wouldn't buy that either. Everything is a compromise, but I'd rather have a louder fan that let me use the performance of the hardware I'd bought. I have an older Dell Latitude that sounds like a jet engine at full boost, but it'll hang there all day; It's still perfectly quiet when I'm watching YouTube or writing something, so it's only intrusive if I'm being ridiculous and gaming on it.

If the options are an i5 that will run at full boost or an i9 that throttles down to minimal levels, especially with the difference in price I'd go for the i5. Chances are that the performance difference wouldn't be much in those two scenarios.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

9 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I can't think of a single use case where a Mac prevails over an equivalently specced PC running some flavor of *nix.

I'm ready to argue that's completely left to the end user, while I personally prefer a Windows or Linux PC, what other prefers isn't my place to say. And yeah, for 75% (if not more ?) of the people out there, a "Chromebook" style of computer (low powered and locked down) is more than enough for their needs (for exemple, my mom has a quad core i5 with 8GB of RAM, an SSD and a dedicated (but shit) GPU, she doesn't need any of that! lol).

But regardless of needs, what people want, and how they spend their money is up to them, so, as I said, it's all about preferences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

15 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

If the options are an i5 that will run at full boost or an i9 that throttles down to minimal levels, especially with the difference in price I'd go for the i5. Chances are that the performance difference wouldn't be much in those two scenarios.

you can buy a Macbook Pro with a slower cpu that'll run cooler if you want. there are options lol.

She/Her

20 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Exclusive apps and features. 

my list of apps i use that are Mac only and i use almost daily:

• Safari
  • iMovie
  • Garageband
  • Pages
  • Twitter (i know Windows has a twitter app but it's garbage)
  • Mactracker
  • Calendar (i know there are apps for other platforms, i just like the macOS calendar)
  • QuickTime (for screen recording)
  • Mail (i know there are apps for other platforms but Apple Mail is my favorite)
  • Terminal (linux has this too, so half a point there)

now on to the list of features that are Mac exclusive and i use almost daily:

• Spotlight
  • Help menu that guides you to where menu items are
  • Time Machine
  • iCloud integration
  • Continuity
  • AirDrop

these are apps and features that i use daily, and that if i switch platforms i need to find alternatives for that work just as well as these, otherwise it's not worth my time. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Intel's definition makes no sense, so everybody rightfully ignores it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Intel's definition makes no sense, so everybody rightfully ignores it. 

reviewers conveniently ignore it when they wanna bash apple

She/Her

And everyone else. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

I didn't read the thread so please forgive me if I am saying something that has already been said. These are my own personal thoughts and experiences and nothing more. I personally own and use on a consistent basis many apple and many non-apple devices. In my opinion, though legitimately flawed in design and needing to be changed, aside from the butterfly keyboard, most of the reliability issues with macbooks are seen as so serious because they are in the spotlight. Everyone is focusing on these devices, and their flaws have been made more public. The picture gets painted that the macbook is unreliable, whereas windows laptops are reliable, and in my experience, I have experienced similar flaws on both machines. No machine is without flaws, and apple's just seem to get published much more. MBA cooling is a horrible design that should be changed but for most people it isn't a large worry. Prices are high, but the products are also premium products that warrant a high price for their build (to this day I have never found a laptop that feels as good as a MBP). This is mostly a rant at this point, but can't we all just let people continue to use what works best for them without judging them for it? 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

aside from the butterfly keyboard

even that was put into an unrealistic spotlight. i have a butterfly Mac from 2017, it was repaired once in the past (trackpad failed) and got a new top case i believe, i'm not sure when, forgot to ask the previous owner, but for the month i've had it the keyboard has been fine. i have one key that's annoying but that's it. 

my dad purchased a 2018 15" MacBook Pro right when they got released, he basically placed an order as soon as they were available (he initially placed an order for a 2017, but because the 2018 refresh was unannounced he quickly cancelled it and got a 2018) and he's been using it for his business since then, and it's still fine. no problems at all with the keyboard or anything else. 

She/Her

53 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

most of the reliability issues with macbooks are seen as so serious because they are in the spotlight. Everyone is focusing on these devices, and their flaws have been made more public. The picture gets painted that the macbook is unreliable

That's down to the fact that Apple and their products get far too much praise. The majority of that praise being bias praise. Its unfortunate and you may feel it to be harsh, but unbiased reviews have always followed the same sort of method. 

In a product that people claim to be 'good', the reviewer tends to look for the bad points. 

In a product that people claim to be 'bad', the reviewer tends to look for the good points. 

Why? 

Because it's fair. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

At this point, I'm just surprised no-one in the LTT community has complained about Apple's lack of RGB. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

21 minutes ago, Twilight said:

i have one key that's annoying but that's it. 

You just validated the whole issue. Machine got a new keyboard and it's already failed again in 3 years.

The keyboard is "great" when it works, but it'll fail without doubt in a couple of years, and it's unacceptable on a product of this class.

F@H

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You just validated the whole issue. Machine got a new keyboard and it's already failed again in 3 years.

Basically contradicting themselves by saying, "it's perfect, but.."

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm ready to argue that's completely left to the end user

The argument was about whether or not there existed a given use case would prefer a Mac over a PC.

A use case is not subjective. It is an objective, well defined, tangible thing.

Excluding the use cases "I want to use a Mac" and "I require Continuity" there exists no use case which can be accomplished on a Mac objectively any better or for less money or time than can be accomplished on a similarly specced PC running Windows or *nix.

2 hours ago, Twilight said:
  • Safari
  • iMovie
  • Garageband
  • Pages
  • Twitter (i know Windows has a twitter app but it's garbage)
  • Mactracker
  • Calendar (i know there are apps for other platforms, i just like the macOS calendar)
  • QuickTime (for screen recording)
  • Mail (i know there are apps for other platforms but Apple Mail is my favorite)
  • Terminal (linux has this too, so half a point there)

now on to the list of features that are Mac exclusive and i use almost daily:

• Spotlight
  • Help menu that guides you to where menu items are
  • Time Machine
  • iCloud integration
  • Continuity
  • AirDrop

To the previous statement, none of the things that you have listed are objectively better than their PC counterparts. In fact, atleast two are objectively worse than their PC counterparts:

• GarageBand is significantly less capable than FLStudio.
  • iMovie is slightly less capable than Resolve.

I'll take the full point back on Terminal, thank you. You can run a BASH terminal on Windows with very minimal configuration, and it will only get better and easier with time as Windows Subsystem for Linux matures.

Of the things you listed only one, Continuity, is actually a feature not available on other device families. Everything else has a Windows or *Nix counterpart, including iCloud, which literally works, with a drag and drop interface, on any device with a somewhat recent web browser.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

For fun, @Twilight, here's two versions of the ipad 2020 Script.

Here's the one that was submitted to me:

Spoiler

[with sarcastic enthusiasm]

Hey! Are you ready for another entry in the confusing saga of “What the heck is Apple doing with the iPad”? Great! In this episode, Apple edges the iPad a little more towards the “MacBook” end of the spectrum, with a new “iPad-only” flavor of mouse + trackpad support. But just wait until you see the new ultra wide camera and LIDAR sensor that Apple also put on the back for some reason! [break character] Yeah… if you’re confused, trust me – we are too. So let’s try to make some sense out of the beautiful mystery that is the 2020 iPad Pro.

SEGUE Today’s video is brought to you by.. (blank). (talking points here)

[Animated intro here]

In our last video about the iPad Pro, we said that Apple ISN’T trying to make the iPad more LIKE a computer. They’re trying to help the iPad be MORE useful AS a computer. Instead of making the iPad just… a worse version of a MacBook, Apple is differentiating the iPad even more with iPadOS-specific features. As they said in a 2019 marketing campaign, the iPad Pro is a “new way” to take notes, make music, or create a presentation. And so, we concluded, the iPad Pro is a “new way” to use a computer. A worse way for some people, like myself, but perhaps a better way for others.

So it’s a bit confusing to find ourselves playing with the 2020 iPad Pro running iPadOS 13.4, which features full-blown, full-featured mouse and trackpad support. And you might have noticed an asterisk come up when I said full-featured, and that’s because… it’s not. …depending on which mouse you use. We’ll get more into that later.

Because if Apple was trying to build a distinct identity for the iPad, wouldn’t they want to double down on the touch-and-Apple Pencil-focused UI, as they did with the initial release of iPadOS last year? In that release, the iPad got better navigation gestures, and even some features that negated the need for some keyboard shortcuts, like pinching your fingers to copy and spreading them to paste. Those kind of optimizations made us think that the iPad might be a good option for those less inclined to do their work sitting at a desk, hunched over a tiny screen.

But instead of leaning further into the iPad’s identity as a unique, handheld computing device, it seems like Apple has decided it wants to make the iPad Pro into a bad MacBook after all. They’re even releasing a new keyboard folio in may with a built-in trackpad! If I sound upset, it’s because I’m baffled, and confusion makes me angry! It just makes me want to buy something at lttstore.com to make me feel better!!

OK. Let’s take a step back. So iPadOS pre-13.4 already HAD mouse support, but it was buried in the settings, in the “AssistiveTouch” section of the Accessibility options. And as we said in our last video, it was by no means targeted at the non-disabled segment of the population that just wanted to use a regular mouse with their iPad. It was designed as a feature to help disabled people who might have trouble operating a touchscreen. Which – to be clear – was a welcome addition, BUT not the type of mouse support a Windows or macOS user would be accustomed to.

In iPadOS 13.4, mouse and trackpad support has been heavily modified and built-in as a core part of the OS. Connect one via Bluetooth, or even via a USB-C dongle, and a small grey pointer immediately pops up. But this isn’t that old tired DESKTOP mouse support. This is IPAD. The iPad pointer adapts to the shapes of things that it selects, which somehow makes clicking them… easier? After using it for a while, I really can’t see any obvious benefit to this feature. Luckily, you can turn it off in settings.

That is, the Accessibility settings, because SOME of the pointer options are under “Mouse and Trackpad” in General settings, and the rest are under “Pointer control” in Accessibility settings, for reasons that continue to elude me. While there were options for assigning functions to other other buttons on the mouse, I couldn’t get them working properly on my MX Master 2S.

But overall, the general user experience with a mouse is a lot better here than In the last version of iPadOS, where the pointer acted basically like a floating finger. Now, you can right click items to bring up context menus, and there’s support for scroll wheels, although frequent hitches and hang-ups make it clear that things have been optimized for a trackpad or the touch surface of Apple’s Magic Mouse.

There are also a number of new gestures that involve dragging the pointer “outside” the screen. Dragging to the right will show or hide Slideover apps, Dragging up on the top-right brings down Control Center, dragging up anywhere else brings down Notification Center, and there’s no gesture for dragging to the left as far as I can tell. But get this: In an app, drag down to bring up the dock. Drag down FURTHER to go home. Drag down AGAIN to enter multitasking, at which point you can drag down ONE MORE TIME to go home, again. I wanted to see how deep this rabbit hole goes, but… apparently that’s the bottom. These gestures were pretty confusing at first, but once I got used to them, they were actually pretty useful, particularly dragging right to access Slideover.

There are even more gestures you can do with multiple fingers on a trackpad to go Home and switch apps, but we didn’t have a trackpad, and if I keep talking about mouse support I’m going to get upset again, so we’d best move on.

Let’s talk about the hardware! The 2020 iPad Pro is NOT a big upgrade hardware-wise over the 2018 model - in fact it’s basically the same tablet. While the whole 2020 iPad Pro lineup now comes with 6GB of RAM, they all run on the A12Z Bionic processor, which is essentially the same chip as the A12X Bionic in the 2018 model - but with a single additional core in the GPU, bringing the total to 8. That bore out in our Geekbench tests, showing a VERY slight increase in multi-core performance, and a… lower score on the Compute benchmark? We’ll just chalk that up to some lack of optimization in iPadOS 13.4 for now.

The base model of the 2020 iPad Pro DOES come with 128GB of storage instead of 64, which is great to see, but the only other major changes to be found on this device are in the camera module. In addition to the standard 12MP lens, we’ve got a new 10MP ultra wide lens, for all those people… vlogging… with their iPad??

Next to that is the LIDAR sensor. LIDAR stand for Light Detection and Ranging, and it works by sending out infrared light, then measuring how long it takes for it to hit something and bounce back. This new sensor is supposed to be a boon for AR content, but in our tests, it didn’t seem to make AR content on the iPad any more compelling. Object occlusion in IKEA’s AR shopping app was about the same as on the 2018 iPad Pro, and in the Measure app, the new iPad actually seemed to do WORSE at consistently measuring length – it was about an inch off.

Some app developers have expressed excitement about the new sensor, with some early tests showing the effect it can have on mapping virtual spaces onto physical ones (link). And there are rumors going around that Apple will include a LIDAR sensor in the next flagship iPhone, so this new iPad may just be serving as a test bed so LIDAR-equipped AR will be nice and polished by the fall. But for now, it’s… a fancy new sensor with not much to do.

So… I guess we might have been wrong when we guessed at Apple’s intentions for the iPad. It seems like they were championing it as this groundbreaking new way for certain people to do work. But with more desktop-like mouse + trackpad support, combined with a lack of new touch-focused features, and the frankly baffling addition of new CAMERA features on a TABLET… I feel like we’re right back to square one.

Apple needs to decide whether iPad is something different, or more of the same. Because if the iPad’s going to continue becoming “like a computer”, the more I want to put it aside and use… a real computer.

Here's the one I "read from the prompter": 

Spoiler

[with sarcastic enthusiasm]

Hey! Are you ready for another entry in the confusing saga of “What the heck is Apple doing with the iPad”[JS1] ? Great!..

…Because in this episode, Apple edges the iPad a little more towards the “MacBook” end of the spectrum, with a new “iPad-only” flavor of mouse + trackpad support[JS2] . But just wait until you see the new ultra wide camera and LIDAR sensor that Apple also put on the back for some reason! [JS3] [break character] Yeah… if you’re confused, trust me – we are too. So let’s try to make some sense out of the beautiful mystery that is the 2020 iPad Pro… together… with our SPONSOR!

(blank). (talking points here)

[Animated intro here]

In our last video about the iPad Pro, we said that Apple ISN’T trying to make the iPad more LIKE a computer, but rather they’re trying to help the iPad be MORE useful AS a computer with iPadOS-specific features. They called the iPad Pro a “new way” to take notes, make music, or create a presentation. A worse way for some people, like myself - but distinctly DIFFERENT from both a “computer” and a “tablet”..

.. and not in a bad way! In the initial release of iPadOS last year, the iPad got better navigation gestures, and even some features that negated the need for some keyboard shortcuts, like pinching your fingers to copy and spreading them to paste. Those kind of optimizations made us think that the iPad might be a good option for those less inclined to do their work sitting at a desk, hunched over a tiny screen.

So it’s a bit confusing to find ourselves playing with the 2020 iPad Pro running iPadOS 13.4, which now has full-blown mouse AND trackpad support[LS4] .

Instead of leaning further into the iPad’s identity as a unique, handheld computing device, it seems like Apple has decided it wants to make the iPad Pro into a bad MacBook after all. They’re even releasing a keyboard folio in May with a built-in trackpad!

To see where Apple’s going, maybe we have to look at where they came from.. iPadOS pre-13.4 already HAD mouse support, but it was buried in the “AssistiveTouch” section of the Accessibility options. And as we said in our last video, it was designed as a feature to help disabled people who might have trouble operating a touchscreen rather than as a way for every iPad user to easily connect a mouse and go ham. It was a welcome addition, BUT it not the type of mouse support a Windows or macOS user would be accustomed to.

NOW, mouse and trackpad support has been built-in as a core part of the OS. Connect one via Bluetooth, or even a USB-C dongle, and a small grey pointer immediately pops up.. and MORPHS! Yes, friends, this isn’t your tired old DESKTOP mouse pointer. This is IPAD. The iPad pointer adapts to the shapes of things that it selects, which is supposed to make clicking them… easier? I dunno.. After using it for a while, we really can’t see an obvious benefit to this feature. Luckily, you can turn it off in the settings.

That is, the ACCESSIBILITY settings, because SOME of the pointer options are under “Mouse and Trackpad” in General settings, while the rest are under “Pointer control” in Accessibility settings.. for reasons that continue to elude me.

Between the two of them, there are options for adjusting pointer contrast, size and colour, you can change the tracking and scrolling speed, and you can even assign functions to other buttons on the mouse, although we couldn’t get that last one working properly on an MX Master 2S so YMMV.

.. It’s definitely not perfect, but overall, the user experience with a mouse is a lot better than in the last version of iPadOS, where the pointer acted basically like a floating finger. Now, you can right click to bring up context menus, and there’s support for scroll wheels, although frequent hitches and hang-ups make it clear that things have been optimized for a trackpad or the touch surface of Apple’s Magic Mouse.

There are also a number of new gestures that involve dragging the pointer “outside” the screen. Dragging to the right will show or hide Slideover apps, Dragging up on the top-right brings down Control Center, dragging up anywhere else brings down Notification Center, and there’s no gesture for dragging to the left as far as I can tell. But get this: In an app, drag down to bring up the dock. Drag down FURTHER to go home. Drag down AGAIN to enter multitasking, at which point you can drag down ONE MORE TIME to go home, again. By this point we were jazzed to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes, but… apparently that’s the bottom. These gestures were a little confusing at first, but in less than an hour we think most people would find them pretty useful, particularly dragging right to access Slideover.

There are even more gestures you can do with multiple fingers on a trackpad to go Home and switch apps, but we didn’t have a trackpad, and if I keep talking about mouse support I’m going to get upset again, so we’d best move on.

.. to the hardware! The 2020 iPad Pro is NOT a big upgrade over the 2018 model - in fact it’s basically the same tablet. While the whole 2020 iPad Pro lineup now comes with 6GB of RAM, they all run on the A12Z Bionic processor, which is on paper is essentially the same chip as the A12X Bionic in the 2018 model - but with a single additional core in the GPU, bringing the total to.. 8. That was confirmed by our Geekbench tests, where we saw a VERY slight increase in multi-core performance, and a… lower score on the Compute benchmark? Uh.. we’ll just chalk that up to some lack of optimization in iPadOS 13.4 for now.

The base model of the 2020 iPad Pro DOES come with 128GB of storage instead of 64, which is great to see, but the only other major changes to be found on this device are in the camera module. In addition to the standard 12MP lens, we’ve got a new 10MP ultra wide lens, for all those (sneer) people[LS5] … vlogging… with their iPads..

.. then next to that is the LIDAR sensor. LIDAR stand for Light Detection and Ranging, and it works by sending out infrared light, then measuring how long it takes for it to hit something and bounce back. This new sensor is supposed to be a boon for AR content, but in our tests, it didn’t seem to make AR content on the iPad any more compelling. Object occlusion in IKEA’s AR shopping app was about the same as on the 2018 iPad Pro, and in the Measure app, the new iPad actually seemed to do WORSE at consistently measuring length – it was about an inch off.

Some app developers have expressed excitement about the new sensor, with some early tests showing the effect it CAN have on mapping virtual spaces onto physical ones (link). And there are rumors going around that Apple will include a LIDAR sensor in the next flagship iPhone, so this new iPad may just be serving as a test bed so LIDAR-equipped AR will be nice and polished by the fall. But for now, it’s… a fancy new sensor with not much in the way of software support.

So… iPad Pro 2020 then.. Maybe we were wrong when we guessed at Apple’s intentions for the iPad. It seemed like they were championing it as this groundbreaking new way for certain people to do work on the go.. An iPad for Pros.. and now we’ve got.. an iPad.. with a mouse attached to it.. and another camera.. and a light bounce sensor.. which I guess is fine. It just leaves me questioning who it’s for.

Why don’t YOU guys let me know. Are you the unicorn Apple is searching for who needs more than an iPad, but less than a Macbook? What do you DO.. with it? (pause)… No, but really. Leave a comment. I genuinely want to know.

Either I saw your post and went out of my way to create a slightly different version of the script to post here... OR I actually do the things I say I do lol.

I get that woke cynicism is sorta your thing, but stick with what you know rather than what you assume about me.

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

- snip -

How do you sleep at night knowing that you're a fanboy of Windows AND macOS, or Android AND IOS? /s

48 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

The argument was about whether or not there existed a given use case would prefer a Mac over a PC.

A use case is not subjective. It is an objective, well defined, tangible thing.

Excluding the use cases "I want to use a Mac" and "I require Continuity" there exists no use case which can be accomplished on a Mac objectively any better or for less money or time than can be accomplished on a similarly specced PC running Windows or *nix.

Didn't I agreed by mentioning that if you based the use cases of the majority, a Chromebook would be enough ?? ;

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm ready to argue that's completely left to the end user, while I personally prefer a Windows or Linux PC, what other prefers isn't my place to say. And yeah, for 75% (if not more ?) of the people out there, a "Chromebook" style of computer (low powered and locked down) is more than enough for their needs (for exemple, my mom has a quad core i5 with 8GB of RAM, an SSD and a dedicated (but shit) GPU, she doesn't need any of that! lol).

But regardless of needs, what people want, and how they spend their money is up to them, so, as I said, it's all about preferences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But then, if you want to stretch that, a cheap Android tablet would be enough (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and similar use case for the majority) ... Hell, you can even get cheap keyboards with trackpads for that tablet to use with the mobile version of Office if your a student.

You can argue all you want about use cases but preferences HAVE to be worked into it, just like some people prefer a desktop over a laptop, or some people prefer a type of keyboard over another, some people prefer a specific environment / OS, and they won't accept something else, even if it's ok or unimportant for you. If you don't agree with that, then you have to agree that the majority doesn't need more than a $50 Android tablet since YT and FB is all they use their device for.

I'm aware I'm stretching it, but it's to make a point, that your opinion on use cases is, for some people, just as much of a stretch.

And FYI, I don't have a Mac and will never have one, same goes for an iPhone. But that doesn't mean that people having those devices are wrong.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

17 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

-a big snip- because i dont know what part to quote 

One of my co-workers only has a phone and she's my age. She doesn't feel the need for a laptop, or even a tablet. Most people probably dont NEED a laptop/tablet either.

it's just that old Blizzard meme again "Do you guys not have phones?"

Preference has been and will always be one of the biggest considerations when buying anything.

------------

I don't like Apple (SURPRISE!) but i also don't go telling people not to buy their products. but nor should what a company does change how good or bad their products are. Again, i DONT LIKE Apple, but i have an iPad, why? because it does what i needed it to at the time and was cheaper than an equivalently powered Android tablet

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒