Linus said on WAN show that 30fps is preferred over 60fps among LTT viewers. Is that true?

poochyena

Do you prefer watching youtube videos at 30 or 60 fps?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching youtube videos at 30 or 60 fps?

Confession time: I don't usually watch TV, but if I do I immediately notice the footage (movies, shows, doesn't matter) as very choppy and stuttery. 

I definitely prefer watching youtube at 60fps,  I also seen movies at 60fps,  it's very smooth,  how it should be. 

Tech advances,  big surprise! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 hours ago, poochyena said:

I prefer all videos at 60fps, but curious if linus is right that most prefer 30fps

Considering LTT videos are glorified talking heads, I think that 30 FPS is better for most people, since it allows those with lower internet connections to enjoy higher resolutions.

Additionally, 60 FPS would significantly impact their workflow and storage needs, because it would (effectively) double the storage requirements for each and every video - with minimal benefits.

Eventually? Sure. We aren't there yet.

Now, CSF videos, or videos that predominantly show fast paced action on the screen (Eg: videos with video game clips), should be 60 FPS. But it should be on a case-by-case basis.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

all non media content like movies and shorts in 24, the rest i can get used to 60fps but not good content like those with a good production budget that's made to look like a tv show, like most LTT videos, or Vsauce, veritasium etc. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I only really watch the WAN show, and when it's a regular LTT video, it's more for background noise than anything :P so for LTT content, 360p on YT is more than enough for me (I rarely look at the WAN show, it's easy to just listen to it while doing something else).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

16 hours ago, Levent said:

I don't know how people enjoy anything that is shot with less than 60fps. I hate watching movies because of that, action movies shot with 24fps gives me motion sickness. 

I guess you don't watch basically any movies, then?

There have only been a handful of movies shot in higher than 24 FPS - mostly just the Hobbit trilogy in 48 FPS HFR.

Gemini Man (recent Will Smith movie) was shot in 120 FPS 4K HDR 3D (that was a mouthful) - and apparently no commercial Cineplex in the world has a projector to play it as intended. The best that can be done is either 4K 60 FPS or 2K 120 FPS at a few cinemas.

60 FPS will eventually be adopted in the cinema, but it'll be a slow transition, because filmmakers need to learn new ways of lighting and filming a set shot in 60 or 120 FPS - as to minimize or avoid the Soap Opera effect.

When I watched the Hobbit movies, it was certainly noticeable at first, but eventually I got used to it for each film.

Avatar 2 is apparently being shot in 60 FPS.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

There have only been a handful of movies shot in higher than 24 FPS - mostly just the Hobbit trilogy in 48 FPS HFR.

Gemini Man (recent Will Smith movie) was shot in 120 FPS 4K HDR 3D (that was a mouthful) - and apparently no commercial Cineplex in the world has a projector to play it as intended. The best that can be done is either 4K 60 FPS or 2K 120 FPS at a few cinemas.

60 FPS will eventually be adopted in the cinema, but it'll be a slow transition, because filmmakers need to learn new ways of lighting and filming a set shot in 60 or 120 FPS - as to minimize or avoid the Soap Opera effect.

When I watched the Hobbit movies, it was certainly noticeable at first, but eventually I got used to it for each film.

Of course I watch them, its not that annoying in cinema but at home definitely not enjoyable. I wish monitors came with 24hz refresh rate, would make it a little less annoying.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Of course I watch them, its not that annoying in cinema but at home definitely not enjoyable. I wish monitors came with 24hz refresh rate, would make it a little less annoying.

Ah - I see the dilemma. You're experiencing screen jitter from 3:2 pulldown.

Watch the movie on a 120 HZ monitor - or on a TV that can do true 24 Hz playback, and it'll improve the experience a lot.

My LG Plasma TV is one such TV - it can playback Blu-Ray's at 24p and it's glorious.

Granted, I definitely am for filmmakers experimenting more with 60 FPS and 120 FPS - especially for action films. If they can get it to the point where they can eliminate the soap opera effect, then higher is better for films that aren't just talking heads.

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

A wise man says, "Human eyes cannot see 60 fps"

Mostly because humans don't see in FPS xD But the eye can most certainly perceive the difference between 30 and 60 (and most people can perceive the difference between 60 and 90, although less and less can tell beyond that).

I would definitely notice the difference between a 30 FPS and 60 FPS LTT video. Whether it'd be worth the doubling (?) in storage and such, I don't think so, unfortunately.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I prefer a higher framerate, but it probably wouldn't be practical for the types of videos they make.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

So long as I hadn't just viewed 60P content mere seconds prior, I tend not to care much.

Some movies pan far enough that 24 fps doesn't really cut though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I would definitely notice the difference between a 30 FPS and 60 FPS LTT video. Whether it'd be worth the doubling (?) in storage and such, I don't think so, unfortunately.

That's an important consideration actually.  It's not always just about the end user experience, there's a lot more to consider.  It would take more data to store footage shot at 60 fps - maybe not double but definitely more, probably at least 50% - which means not only needing more server space to store it, but it means filling up the mags faster, which means a need to bring more on trips, a need to offload more often, and faster networking gear to keep the editing workstations fed.  Speaking of the editing workstations, it means needing more processing power to handle the workflow smoothly, and to render the final videos for floatplane and youtube.  It even impacts the way the footage is shot.  Going to 60 fps means either increasing your shutter angle, and/or getting more and/or brighter lights for the set, or just increasing ISO and accepting a noisier image.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i think regular chit chat shows like WAN show needs & requires only 30fps or even less like 24fps standard imo. But 60 fps should be an option for viewers. sometimes the 30fps being less smooth seems stuttery to people who are used to 60 fps. i'd opt for 60 fps just because it looks a bit smoother .

Details separate people.

I would much prefer to watch gameplay footage at 60fps, but camera-shot videos do look better to me at 30\24fps. Watching people just sit there and talk at 60fps always felt a little weird to me.

7 hours ago, Jordie of the Void said:

I would much prefer to watch gameplay footage at 60fps, but camera-shot videos do look better to me at 30\24fps. Watching people just sit there and talk at 60fps always felt a little weird to me.

I wonder, do you (or someone else) know why this is the case? Wouldn't smoother just always be better?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I wonder, do you (or someone else) know why this is the case? Wouldn't smoother just always be better?

I've heard this from a few people before but never experienced it myself.  My best guess for why it would feel weird is because it's unfamiliar.  We grow up seeing filmed content at 24 or 25 or 30 fps so anything significantly higher really sticks out.  I think the traditional (lower) frame rate gives a feeling of separation - subconsciously, it ensures you remain aware you're watching a video - and when you see content shot at 60 or more, it's so much more like real life that this effect is reduced and it ends up being too realistic and perhaps this is unsettling because it's unfamiliar.

I've even heard some people say it can cause a sort of motion sickness.  Personally, this is also opposite to how I experience video.  For me, if the frame rate is too low it's painful and unpleasant to watch, but at higher frame rates, shaky camera movements and other substantial motion is far more tolerable.  I would guess that a reason to experience this the other way around though is similar to what I mentioned above - with lower frame rates, you don't experience it so much as you just see it, but with it being higher and more realistic, I could imagine people internalizing that motion more and experiencing the effects from it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i tend to stay with computer stuff for atleast 10 years. i just have a lg 27" that fits perfectly on the desk without the stand, which i made wooden pieces for a little stand. I have no idea what my pixel dimensions are or any ratio, I just know its LED because its printed on the side cover. who knows what my fps is or refresh rate. i just want value and not into the latest and greatest because your always chasing it, spending money foolishly.

Anyone who complains about them going for 30fps rather than 60fps:

I deal with recording VHS tapes at high bitrates. VHS tapes normally have a ton of mixed frame rate content once deinterlaced. A LOT of space can be wasted trying to preserve proper frame rates with it when half the content is also 30/24fps.

If LTT can provide higher res video without needing to increase the frame rate, I'd take it. They don't make content that needs 60fps.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:44 PM, dalekphalm said:

i hope thats not the last airbender avatar

6 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-hobbit-causing-nausea-and-dizziness-2012-12 apparently the higher frame rate of the hobbit made some people nauseous. idk because i didnt even notice it when i watched the hobbit 

On 11/5/2019 at 4:21 AM, RejZoR said:

I always look funny at people who say they hate the "soap opera" feel when watching 60fps movies. Bitch, that's how high framerate view looks like. You're just not used to it because you watch crappy 24fps or 30fps video all your miserable life. Just saying.

There hasn't been a 60Hz movie since 1983 according to Wikipedia.

Are you talking about putting on motion smoothing on your TV? Because, yeah, that looks awful.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Personally on Youtube I can hardly tell between 30 and 60 FPS, the *horrid* compression is already enough to throw me off so the frame rate means incredibly little. Is it there? Yeah. But there are far more pressing issues for me.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは