Fortnite Sued: As addictive as Cocaine

Epic Games sued for not warning parents that "Fortnite" is allegedly as addictive as cocaine.

5c366de02a5b7442d75cda92-750-563.jpg

Are video games as addictive as drugs? One parental unit in Montreal claims so, and says they have a study to back it up.

MONTREAL — A class action lawsuit has been filed by a Canadian law firm for parents who say their two children have an addiction to Fortnite, KRON reports.

The lawsuit makes the claim that Epic Games, the creator of Fortnite, “knowingly put on the market a very, very addictive game which was also geared toward youth.”

Source 1:

https://myfox8.com/2019/10/07/addictive-as-cocaine-parents-sue-fortnite-creators/

Source 2:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/10/07/fortnite-producer-epic-games-lawsuit-says-addictive-as-cocaine/3900236002/

Written in French, the legal action alleges that when a person is engaged in "Fortnite" for a long period, the player’s brain releases the “pleasure hormone, dopamine” and that "Fortnite" was developed by psychologists, statisticians and others over four years “to develop the most addictive game possible,” all so Epic could reap lucrative profits. 

I really want to hear from Linus on this one, as a parent figure. If they're claiming it boosts Dopamine levels, wouldn't any type of "Social Media" also fall under this category? (eg; Like/Dislike/Love "Reaction" options)

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

@wkdpaul I feel shame for the both of us

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

They're not sued yet, they need the permission from the Quebec Superior Court.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Que in angry forumers who don't realize there is a very real possibility this case will succeed on the grounds that addiction does not have to be biological in it's causality but can be like gambling (an addiction based on reward structure) or can be thought of like fraud, where a con artists carefully entraps a person with certain rewards and hopes to attain a specific outcome.   Both are accepted as based on very real physiological conditions that can exploited without the targets conscious knowledge.   

I will be interested to see further input from professionals and would dearly like to hear Jordan peterson's take on it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, PiGHamM3R said:

alleges that when a person is engaged in "Fortnite" for a long period, the player’s brain releases the “pleasure hormone, dopamine” and that "Fortnite" was developed by psychologists, statisticians and others over four years “to develop the most addictive game possible

https://fortnite.gamepedia.com/Release_Timeline

Fortnite was first announced in 2011 and was officially released on July 2017 as Early Access phase.

It says here the game was announced in 2011 so it's been longer than 4 years. And I don't know if they are talking about 4 years after it came out because it's only been 2 years. This seems a little like Aw my child plays video game because I can't parent. Well it's not my fault it is the video game let me sue them for my bad parenting. This sounds like a Dr Phil episode or Jeremy Kyle show.

22 minutes ago, PiGHamM3R said:

"Fortnite" was developed by psychologists

right, ok

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

my friends made me play a few games of fortnite with them and i dont find it very addicting but then again i never tried cocaine so i might not find cocaine very addicting either so it might still be as addicting as cocaine :P. should i sue JK rowling for making the harry potter books addicting because I once reread the entire series in one sitting

Some parents just can't take responsibility of anything. They'd rather blame things than to acknowledge that they have no control over their children.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Damn, why do we get these people?  Can we not trade in out Montrealers, Torontonians, and Vancouverites for a Florida man or 2?  We got rid of the beeves; surely we can do this people!

Bruh moment. Can't wait for someone to sue El Chapo because they got addicted to cocaine. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Some parents just can't take responsibility of anything. They'd rather blame things than to acknowledge that they have no control over their children.

I would normally agree, but many adults are currently working more than 40 hours a week and don't have much time to take care of children fully. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Addiction is a result of bad parenting. Teach them about moderation and variety; they'll do well in life.

(just my two cents)

This could be a very good thing. 

With some luck the end result is a ban of Fortnite.  Worldwide, preferably. 

Then they can ban the rest of the games for being addictive as well. 

Once that happens, the prices of GPUs will drop and mining can become profitable again. 

I really want this to go through so games like this can die the fiery death they deserve.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

20 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I really want this to go through so games like this can die the fiery death they deserve.

Fortnite bad.

Comparing video games to drugs is absolutely quickly-conclusive. drugs are addictive because they produce a euphoric effect and most will end with crappy feelings and the urge to feel the same euphoria again. people become addicted to video games because of way more reasons, all unrelated to euphoria and comedowns

9 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Fortnite bad.

I see what you're doing there.

But I'll still defend the position. Games like Fortnite and Overwatch have fucking ruined the industry.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

I see what you're doing there.

But I'll still defend the position. Games like Fortnite and Overwatch have fucking ruined the industry.

The industry was in decline long before Fortnite and Overwatch popped up lol

Money's been the driving force of and will be the death of video games. Chasing trends until people are tired of those trends, yearly releases that flood the market with uninteresting games and giving developers insanely tight development schedules (did you know that Blood II was made in only 11 months, because the publisher wanted a sequel to Blood within those 11 months?) are what's wrong with the industry. Fortnite and Overwatch are just "symptoms" of those problems.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

The industry was in decline long before Fortnite and Overwatch popped up lol

Money's been the driving force of and will be the death of video games. Chasing trends until people are tired of those trends, yearly releases that flood the market with uninteresting games and giving developers insanely tight development schedules (did you know that Blood II was made in only 11 months, because the publisher wanted a sequel to Blood within those 11 months?) are what's wrong with the industry. Fortnite and Overwatch are just "symptoms" of those problems.

I'd argue that those (overwatch and fortnite) combined with CoD led us to this point. They were each key incidents that were like ringing a dinner bell to moronic short sighted business persons like Bobby Kotick.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

I'd argue that those (overwatch and fortnite) combined with CoD led us to this point. They were each key incidents that were like ringing a dinner bell to moronic short sighted business persons like Bobby Kotick.

Well, of course. He's got to have... moneyyyyyyyy.

1 hour ago, PiGHamM3R said:

Are video games as addictive as drugs? One parental unit in Montreal claims so, and says they have a study to back it up.

Any thing can be adictive. Shit, I have an addication to candy. So my fat ass doesnt eat candy any more. To me this is a bull shit law suit. Should I sue because of my addiction to Twizzlers, Skittles, etc? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Well, of course. He's got to have... moneyyyyyyyy.

There's a difference between making money, and making money without and regard to the longevity of your business.

One is a good business practice, the other is fucking idiotic business practice that should be discouraged in any way possible.