Unpopular Tech Opinions

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, slightly.

Let's compare that to a 450W PSU from the same brand:

image.png.f70ab0ec727fce65f788cd65708e728c.png

Peak efficiency here is actually closer to 75% load, at around 92% efficiency, with a drop to 91% efficiency at 100% load.

Literally you are not saving any power by buying the larger PSU in this comparison.

That's because we're cherry picking the math and not looking at every factor unrelated to PC's, and not accounting accurately for power fluctuations, upgrades which lead to high power consumption, the difference between a 12 and 5 year warranty, inflation, tariffs, taxes, energy surcharges, depreciation, and standby power consumption.  Let's only use inflation and use the warranty as the lifespan, because I'd just like to see people try and save their lucky dollars by investing on long term assets rather than "low prices" that always cost more in the long run no matter how you slice it, and especially if you also lose work time and gain stress in any downtime.  Here's some simple yearly cumulative projections that only accounts for 3 of the 9 things mentioned:

(this was only .14 cents per Kw Hour, 8 hours while gaming, 8 idle/light load, 8 off)

image.thumb.png.8bd124bfe60f9ba97fcbf717be23bf67.png

Not everyone has the money right now, and they often have family and friends to look after too.  I get it, that's why I literally go to people's houses and build computers for them.  However, you can buy an egg McMuffin for 2 dollars every morning and make a killing in savings for the next few years - you're going to pay for it anyway when you start getting hospital bills down the road because of the domino of results that come from doing so. 

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | GPU: ASRock 6900XT | Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB (x2) | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 | MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Case: Fractal Design Define 7

Yes, I share it with friends, and bought this at MSRP.  I was a listmaster for several days in NY.

2 hours ago, anodos said:

Unpopular opinion: Modern "DevOps" is pasting some code and configs you found on stackoverflow into an arcane pile of frameworks you don't understand, and hoping the sausage machine produces something marginally functional out of it just long enough to add it to your resume and move on to the next startup.

Never look at WebDev source code. Your description isn't an opinion there, it's empirical fact.

2 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

Someone like me:

6'7" tall 225 lbs size 20 EEE shoe

Heh.  Got to find the tall section of the “big and tall” store which I have always thought should be called the big and fat store.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, Arika S said:

Windows 10 is a good OS.

Intel is not the Devil

NVidia is not evil incarnate

Use Linux

Try installing Nvidia drivers.

41 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Use Linux

yeah, i dont think i will after it decided to crash my router whenever i connected my laptop to ethernet (same laptop worked fine with windows), and it was next to impossible to get hardware accelerated decoding to work at all.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

28 minutes ago, Arika S said:

yeah, i dont think i will after it decided to crash my router whenever i connected my laptop to ethernet (same laptop worked fine with windows), and it was next to impossible to get hardware accelerated decoding to work at all.

Something is wrong with your hardware.

Can you send me the specs?

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Something is wrong with your hardware.

Can you send me the specs?

If it also did the same thing on Windows, i would agree, but it happened only on Linux. Mint, Ubuntu and Manjaro, switched back to windows and it worked perfectly fine.

It was like 2-3 years ago, so i no longer really care to try and fix it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, Arika S said:

If it also did the same thing on Windows, i would agree, but it happened only on Linux. Mint, Ubuntu and Manjaro, switched back to windows and it worked perfectly fine.

It was like 2-3 years ago, so i no longer really care to try and fix it.

Strange.

But use whatever works for you. For many people windows has compatibility errors and issues, and Linux is the thing that works.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Den-Fi said:

AMD DOESN'T CARE

ABOUT YOU.

AMD still doesn't care about you, and we're almost 2 years after that message was written 🙂

1. Shooting in 4K/6K/8K/12K and 12-bit~16-bit RAW won't magically make your videos more interesting.

2. Shooting people walking in slo-mo over a (stolen) sad music doesn't make a video "Cinematic".

3. Despite all their clever marketing and "we're so cool and holier-than-thou attitude",  you shouldn't trust Apple any more than you trust other tech giants.

23 hours ago, SeanChronicR said:

New iMac is SEGGZY AF

I think the speaker system makes even the base model a really good value for those that produce music.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I like the Lian Li O11 Dynamic, but the white version is ugly and white O11 Builds are hideous. I prefer black O11 Builds.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

Unpopular opinion:

Micro ATX is the best form factor

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Just now, RoseLuck462 said:

I think the speaker system makes even the base model a really good value for those that produce music.

I'd have thought that those who produce music and need good audio quality are going to have some kind of external audio setup, probably involving headphones

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

41 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I'd have thought that those who produce music and need good audio quality are going to have some kind of external audio setup, probably involving headphones

That's not mutually exclusive to the new iMac. Music producers often will require the need of both speakers and headphones, for different situations.

If the built-in speakers are good enough to replace a pair of reference bookshelf speakers, then that will be good enough for some producers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't care about high refresh rate gaming... I always see people posting about these 1440p 144hz monitors or 240hz monitors.... like bro I just want a good 1440p 60hz monitor that gives me excellent color reproduction, brightness, and contrast.... I don't care if a game is running at a high refresh rate when the monitor looks like a washed out mess..... I had finally been able to find a pretty good lenovo panel after months of looking that gave me 1440p 75hz and I didn't have to sell a kidney.... I would support it if companies chilled with the ridiculous resolutions and refresh rates in favor of making higher quality panels, like I want to be able to edit photos on it...

2 hours ago, wisex said:

I don't care about high refresh rate gaming... I always see people posting about these 1440p 144hz monitors or 240hz monitors.... like bro I just want a good 1440p 60hz monitor that gives me excellent color reproduction, brightness, and contrast.... I don't care if a game is running at a high refresh rate when the monitor looks like a washed out mess..... I had finally been able to find a pretty good lenovo panel after months of looking that gave me 1440p 75hz and I didn't have to sell a kidney.... I would support it if companies chilled with the ridiculous resolutions and refresh rates in favor of making higher quality panels, like I want to be able to edit photos on it...

Then you want a production monitor not a gaming monitor.  They tend to be expensive.  Things are getting better all the time though. The production monitor market may be disrupted by gaming monitors or even TVs with good color.  TVs are apparently starting to do that to the gaming monitor market.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

LCD displays still suck

12 hours ago, wisex said:

Some of the reasons I use a 4:3 CRT, a lot of LCD displays still look like crap when it comes to gaming and color. With my CRTs(yes, I have more than one) I can enjoy gameplay that looks buttery smooth with the most accurate colors and a 100Hz or 125Hz refresh rate at HD. I know there are high end 240Hz displays, but a good CRT monitor is still superior in my mind.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Home automation isn't as useful as people think it is.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

43 minutes ago, starry said:

And it’s generally also less secure.

2 hours ago, starry said:

Watches Linus make a whole video about his frustrations of trying to replace a tried and tested, working simple remote with google voice smart integration.

No. Home automation isn't as good as people think it is. We're use to 100% reliability, anything sub 99.9% frustrates and ruins us.

2 hours ago, starry said:

And, more to the point, the barrier to entry is ridiculous.

Sure, you can get an Echo and some WiFi light bulbs for reasonably cheap. But then you have to spend time painstakingly setting the damn things up - and what have you achieved? I can now talk at a computer for 5 seconds to control the lights, rather than pushing a single switch. Yay.

To give another example, I could install a Ring doorbell. This would do exactly the same as a normal intercom system, but with the side effect of streaming videos of my visitors over the internet for no reason. And now I have input latency on my doorbell. Input latency. On a f*cking doorbell.

For anything genuinely useful that I might want to automate, I have to spend such ridiculous amounts of time and money to get it working that I might as well not bother.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I hate dark mode for everything. Yeah it's less strain for your eyes, but I just can't get used to reading white text on a black background. At least text is clearly visible on a white (or greyish) screen.

I dislike software like Discord, Teamspeak, etc. They seem so user unfriendly and annoying to me. Just use the built in one from Steam or something. Unless it's Epic Games, there we usually use group calls through our cellphones. Maybe it's because I like console AND pc gaming though. On console in my eyes the party system seems much more easy.

NZXT cases look ugly, I don't get why people like them. Maybe just good for cable management.

PCIe Gen 4 is overrated, it's not worth spending a few hundred $$$ just to get a small gain in speed (read: less than 5% according to Linus' videos).