Unpopular Tech Opinions

43 minutes ago, FRD said:

I hate dark mode for everything. Yeah it's less strain for your eyes, but I just can't get used to reading white text on a black background. At least text is clearly visible on a white (or greyish) screen.

I dislike software like Discord, Teamspeak, etc. They seem so user unfriendly and annoying to me. Just use the built in one from Steam or something. Unless it's Epic Games, there we usually use group calls through our cellphones. Maybe it's because I like console AND pc gaming though. On console in my eyes the party system seems much more easy.

NZXT cases look ugly, I don't get why people like them. Maybe just good for cable management.

PCIe Gen 4 is overrated, it's not worth spending a few hundred $$$ just to get a small gain in speed (read: less than 5% according to Linus' videos).

All text used to be lighted text on a black background.  Sometimes it was white, sometimes it was green, sometimes it was amber.  It changed.  Mostly I think because of  the toaster Mac and windows which aped it.  It may just be what you are used to.  There were problems with lighted text on a dark screen too which the new method of black on white was supposed to alleviate.  To me this smells like fashion. Which set of arguments for which type are going to be used? Who cares? People will use what they prefer.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I like Apple.

Windows 10 is the best yet.

I prefer thin and light laptops to chunkier, upgradeable ones.

Intel isn't that bad, they're just not competitive.

Android (generally) sucks.

Linux isn't at all competitive for consumers.

The ASUS ScreenPad isn't a gimmick.

Honestly, I feel most of these opinions are echoed by the general population, but don't worry, I promise, I am knowledgeable with tech!

Jetzt soll ich einen deutschen Absatz schreiben...

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I like Apple.

Honestly, I feel most of these opinions are echoed by the general population, but don't worry, I promise, I am knowledgeable with tech!

Windows10 one wasn’t. They couldn’t GIVE the OS away so they forced people to take it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Factually, that's true, but if you're trying to imply that this is because it's not good enough for general use, that's where you're not correct. The only reason it isn't competitive is because it can't market itself.

There are now Linux distributions which are absolutely fine for most desktop use cases. The problem is that being free and nonprofit, no single distribution can afford to market itself to OEMs and the public enough to gain significant market share. And it's fragmented, so just marketing "linux" would do no good. With that comes no incentive to make it easier for people to get started in, as it's expected that everyone will have a technical background.

And that, in turn, leads to a classic chicken and egg problem. You need more developers onboard to make Linux easy to set up and to produce software which works well with it, but they won't develop for a platform with no users. So you need users to be using the platform, but they won't switch to anything which doesn't have developer support.

You want proof? Look at ChromeOS. It's what happens if you have a Linux distribution with a simple vision/purpose, with a large company behind it capable of marketing to the general public. and effort put in to make the experience easy. And boy did the general public buy it. Yes, it may be derided on here, but we'd all pretty much be considered "power users".

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Windows10 one wasn’t. They couldn’t GIVE the OS away so they forced people to take it.

To be fair it was nice to have a free upgrade, and don't get me wrong, there's a lot I don't like about Windows 10 (telemetry, spyware...), but it's nothing Winaero Tweaker can't fix. Once Microsoft figure out how to make a consistent UI and UX, then it will be even better. Even having used XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1 before 10, I do still prefer 10.

People here tend to say that Linux is better, but for my OS to work out of the box and with all of my programs, my anonymous data isn't a bad price 😂

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Factually, that's true, but if you're trying to imply that this is because it's not good enough for general use, that's where you're not correct. The only reason it isn't competitive is because it can't market itself.

There are now Linux distributions which are absolutely fine for most desktop use cases. The problem is that being free and open source, no single distribution is able to market itself to OEMs and the public enough to gain significant market share. And it's fragmented, so just marketing "linux" would do no good. With that comes no incentive to make it easier for people to get started in, as it's expected that everyone will have a technical background.

And that, in turn, leads to a classic chicken and egg problem. You need more developers onboard to make Linux easy to set up and to produce software which works well with it, but they won't develop for a platform with no users. So you need users to be using the platform, but they won't switch to anything which doesn't have developer support.

You want proof? Look at ChromeOS. It's what happens if you have a Linux distribution with a simple vision/purpose, with a large company behind it capable of marketing to the general public. and effort put in to make the experience easy. And boy did the general public buy it. Yes, it may be derided on here, but we'd all pretty much be considered "power users".

Oh no no, Linux is definitely more than powerful enough for general use, but yeah marketing and traction is a huge part of why I think that. For power users, yes, it can be very competitive; I've seen countless people on this forum move to Linux, and good for them, if you can make the switch it is worth it, but for the average user the ease of just going with what you know (Windows) prevails.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Linux is bad, because it's amazing, but the lack of support from big developers is why I couldn't ever transition. I'll stick with Windows so I can use SolidWorks, Office, Flight Sim, iTunes and everything else effortlessly, but yeah, that is part of the issue. Without a huge portion of people there, why bother with the effort to develop.

That's true, as much as I despise ChromeOS it is rather successful, but then again you could say the same about Android. The people using it don't know they're using Linux though, they just know that it does what they need it to. I'll never change my mind on ChromeOS hardware though; i5 and i7 powered devices with price tags of upwards of £1000 are an insult to 99% of people shopping in that price range.

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

On 9/19/2019 at 5:29 AM, Den-Fi said:

YOU SUCK AT GAMING AND WILL NEVER MAKE MONEY DOING IT.

text formatting should be banned.

1 minute ago, Egelik said:

Maybe you're RIGHT!!!

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

41 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Most people just don't care. It's not like "I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because it sucks.", It's actually like "There is no need for me to do that when Windows 7 just works."

Of course people who are interested in tech care much more about this stuff but that group is a minority.

12 minutes ago, Egelik said:

I agree.

But it's not... sooooooooo... I used it.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

All text used to be lighted text on a black background.  Sometimes it was white, sometimes it was green, sometimes it was amber.  It changed.  Mostly I think because of  the toaster Mac and windows which aped it.  It may just be what you are used to.  There were problems with lighted text on a dark screen too which the new method of black on white was supposed to alleviate.  To me this smells like fashion. Which set of arguments for which type are going to be used? Who cares? People will use what they prefer.

I didn't know about that history you just told me. Actually I recall back in the day I was fine with Windows 98 with a blue screen and white (bigger text). Also in DOS the text was white, just the black screen wasn't really black, more like grey. I guess I could go with grey, but not with black nowadays, my preference.

Windows Vista is a great operating system (I used it until 2019 on a secondary PC)

Laptops that are also detachable tablets suck

Laptop keyboards are the best (at least I prefer them)

Older laptop keyboards rule.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I like Apple.

I agree with basically all of this, I cant comment about the Screenpad as I have no clue what that is and I have no idea what you wrote at the end as I only speak English. Everything else Im on board with

11 minutes ago, davemc said:

Older laptop keyboards rule.

I would like you to come to my house, and use my Toshiba L25-S1192 keyboard (Celeron M 370, 2GB DDR2, XP), and then use my mom's Lenovo Yoga laptop keyboard (Core i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, 10 Home).

Then say that again.

elephants

I have another unpopular opinion. which is that breaking loops is not actually the work of the devil.

For those not familiar, break is a command in several programming languages which forces the program to leave a loop it is in. Apparently it makes code less readable, but used correctly I feel it actually makes it far *more* readable.

pythonmegapixel

8 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I would like you to come to my house, and use my Toshiba L25-S1192 keyboard (Celeron M 370, 2GB DDR2, XP), and then use my mom's Lenovo Yoga laptop keyboard (Core i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, 10 Home).

Then say that again.

lol!

i have a windows vista gateway 2006 laptop and the kb is godly

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Laptop keyboard order of preference - my opinion

BEST

| Most MacBooks

| Modern HP and Asus

| Old "proper" laptops from most manufacturers

| Modern Dell and Lenovo

| Old "netbooks" from most manufacturers

|

|

| MacBook "Butterfly"

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

| Chromebook

WORST

pythonmegapixel

Even though AMD has great hardware, its software department is lacking, and they barely have any features against their competitors (specially in the enterprise market).

Macbooks aren't expensive. Any other good laptop costs as much, or even more than a Macbook.

RGB and windowed cases are ugly and a waste of resources.

A Chromebook is way more useful than Windows for most people.

Games are a waste of time.

Most people trying to get into Linux are just trying to be "rebels" without any proper reason to stop using Windows.

Miners aren't the cause for the current price craze, entitled gamers just want to point the finger at someone because they can't get a shiny new toy.

The whole "PC master race" idea is dumb.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Even though AMD has great hardware, its software department is lacking, and they barely have any features against their competitors (specially in the enterprise market).

Does more performance for the same price not count as a "feature"?

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

Most people trying to get into Linux are just trying to be "rebels" without any proper reason to stop using Windows.

I mean... my reason to stop using Windows was that it was constantly getting in on my nerves by trying to force Microsoft services down my throat. What do you count as a "proper reason"?

There's also the fact that overall, if EVERYONE switched to Linux, it would ultimately be far better for the consumer, because it would spell the end of a monopoly that has existed for decades.

6 minutes ago, igormp said:

A Chromebook is way more useful than Windows for most people.

How is it more useful? I can run a browser on top of Windows just fine.

6 minutes ago, igormp said:

Games are a waste of time.

Writing posts on forums are also a waste of time in the grand scheme of things, but we do it because we find it interesting. Games are the same.

pythonmegapixel

31 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Does more performance for the same price not count as a "feature"?

No, that's implied in the "great hardware", which becomes useless if it lacks proper support. As an example, any AMD card is simply useless for any ML task.

33 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What do you count as a "proper reason"?

Anything that I redeem useful.

33 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

How is it more useful? I can run a browser on top of Windows just fine.

Chromebooks are cheaper, have (usually) better battery life, are more stable and you can have both android apps and a linux terminal running without any effort.

34 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Writing posts on forums are also a waste of time in the grand scheme of things, but we do it because we find it interesting. Games are the same.

Yes, and each person is free to consider something more wasteful than others, specially in a "unpopular opinions" thread.

I'm glad I managed to tickle someone lol

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Older tech doesn't mean you can't play the latest and greatest (always). I run okayish specs everywhere but my GPU, which is a 2gb dual fan pci-e powered 750ti. And I can still play a lot of the newer releases. I don't really care about looks, but that might be because I also have a console so if I wanted the same game on pc to look better and I have it on console, I'd play it there. 

Mods don't make games better or worse, they make them different.

Cheating in offline singleplayer games isn't a crime against the PC nation. If you're having fun, and gaming, and you wanna use cheats all the more power to you. (Just stay away from multiplayer online games)

I actually think Elon Musk isnt doing more harm than good with SpaceX and Tesla, even if some of the people working there can be dicks. (See the drama that happened with cameras during one of the earlier test launches this year)

Cyberpunk isn't a bad game as a game, you all bought into the hype and didn't realize you allowed a company to skyrocket your expectations through the moon.

Those are my 5

3 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

To be fair it was nice to have a free upgrade, and don't get me wrong, there's a lot I don't like about Windows 10 (telemetry, spyware...), but it's nothing Winaero Tweaker can't fix. Once Microsoft figure out how to make a consistent UI and UX, then it will be even better. Even having used XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1 before 10, I do still prefer 10.

People here tend to say that Linux is better, but for my OS to work out of the box and with all of my programs, my anonymous data isn't a bad price 😂

Wasn’t for me.  It made my best monitor useless.  3k 144hz monitor from 2012.  One of the best monitors on the planet at the time.

4:3 and 5:4 monitors make great third/second monitors. I recently replaced one that started dying with an old Dell 16:10. I wish I could go back, but the screen blanking out was a deal breaker.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:57 AM, starry said:

Home automation isn't as useful as people think it is.

You spend more time trying to install everything, than it would take to open that damn door manually for the next 50 years.

And that doesn't inlude the time spent youtubing, searching and improvising your setup.