Unpopular Tech Opinions

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Dunno if this'll count as tech, but Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be disappointing as hell. I have no doubts it'll be decent, but all the warning signs that games like Watch Dogs had are showing with 

Schrodinger's No Mans Sky 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, XA33 said:

- heavy polycarbonate is an awesome material for phones

- more manufacturers should explore other materials for phones such as ceramics and rubber

- Removable batteries should be an option on both laptops and phones

- microSD and USB-C should be standards on every phone

- every single laptop should have upgradable RAM and SSD

- the thin and light trend laptops are going these days is worrying in my opinion

- Europe should extend its warranty to 3 years and USA to 2 or 3

- Apple isn't in top 5 phone manufacturers since 2018 or so

- Linux is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE for any user that does more than Youtube and facebook on their laptop

They asked for unpopular opinion,bro

On 9/19/2019 at 1:47 AM, imreloadin said:

Yeah, those are additional safety features...so the same concept applies.

With auto brake and lane keeping you can effectively drive hands free and just keep the throttle to the floor....

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

With auto brake and lane keeping you can effectively drive hands free and just keep the throttle to the floor....

Unfortunately safety features don't prevent people from doing stupid things, only fully autonomous cars will do that but I'm sure that somehow people will fuck that up too ?

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Iirc there was at least one guy that died doing that.  There was a flatbed truck crossways to the road and the autobraking didn’t recognize it as something that needed to be braked for.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

-Phones do not need insanely thin bezels, just put the selfie camera in the top bezel where it belongs.

-No normal person needs more than 4 cores in their computer.

-RIP Windows 7.

-Consumer TVs do not need to be 60+ inches and <1 inch thick.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

1 minute ago, Computernaut said:

-Phones do not need insanely thin bezels, just put the selfie camera in the top bezel where it belongs.

-No normal person needs more than 4 cores in their computer.

-RIP Windows 7.

-Consumer TVs do not need to be 60+ inches and <1 inch thick.

Do gamers and folks who use complicated spreadsheets count as normal people?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Gastarbeiter said:

DELL PCs are overpriced pieces of junk. They are the MACs of the PC world.

That's only true of their consumer line of PC's - their business line are just as good as any other business oriented PC's, and the warranty is really hard to beat.

And even then, some of their consumer PC's are actually really good value.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, Stylized_Violence said:

2. 'Safety features' in a modern vehicles, like applying the brakes for you, will create bad driving habits and bad drivers overall

It's true. I drive a 2020 RAV4 with lane tracing and auto braking, pedestrian detection, DRCC down to 0 mph, etc. I barely pay attention anymore and am practically incapable of driving a car without those features without looking like I'm completely wasted. At least tech is advancing and not backtracking eh?

2 hours ago, Gastarbeiter said:

They're not very differently priced than any other manufacturer. Plus they're super durable IME. An HP laptop will stop working if you look at it the wrong way. But I've had numerous Dell laptops that I literally beat the shit out of, time and time again, over the course of several years. I've hit some so hard that the touchpad popped up out of the frame. I've never had any component fail (even the touchpads). They can take a serious beating.

I like HP in my case for unpopular opinions. HP is weirdly reliable in my case, Then again I do a lot of preventive maintenance on my machines so perhaps thats why they last. But my PC is marching onto the 9th year of its existence and still hasn't blown up and my Envy X360 has had water dumped on it and is still strong despite this being months ago. Maybe im just getting lucky but personally I like HP. The Envy X360 is hands down my favorite laptop series ever

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

The i9 9900K for the foreseeable future is still worth it*

NVLINK/SLI is dead for gaming

X570 board are a bit of scam

PCIe Gen 4 storage is no where near worth it for 98% of users

3950X at $750 might be too cheap

RTX 2080 Ti at $1K or bellow is fine 

AMD resurgence is a bit overblown 

one of the biggest overspends price per $ is your PSU 

PC gaming is a bit overrated (yeah bring on the boos!)

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

23 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

PC gaming is a bit overrated (yeah bring on the boos!)

I think you'd find many who agree.  Part of why consoles remain so successful is that you don't have to fight with drivers, launchers, OS glitches (usually, anyway) and the other complications that come with PC gaming.  Outside of updates, you just sit down and play.  Don't get me wrong, PC gaming has its advantages, but there's a certain beauty to consoles -- they're a reminder that the goal of gaming is to have fun, not obsess over frame rates and mouse DPI.

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I think you'd find many who agree.  Part of why consoles remain so successful is that you don't have to fight with drivers, launchers, OS glitches (usually, anyway) and the other complications that come with PC gaming.  Outside of updates, you just sit down and play.  Don't get me wrong, PC gaming has its advantages, but there's a certain beauty to consoles -- they're a reminder that the goal of gaming is to have fun, not obsess over frame rates and mouse DPI.

Your statement sums up the majority of thoughts as well.  Also it's the cost of entry, sure a PC is also a PC and you can build a $300-$3000 gaming PC, but that doesn't include a monitor, mouse, keyboard, controller, speakers, ect...  Also a console at $200-$700? (next gen) has a shelf life of 5-7 years.  The fact you can't upgrade a console might work into many people's favor since I throw money at my PC upgrading all the time.  Also more and more titles have been console exclusives or been released many months before a PC release.  One of my biggest qualms however is buying PC games.  Sure PC's has an immense catalog of games but where you buy them varies greatly and there is so many damn launchers! lol   

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That's true - I game on both PC and Xbox, but these days I do the vast majority of my gaming on the Xbox. The other thing about consoles is that a console tends to "keep up" with games a lot better over the years - sure, the games won't look as good as compared to a brand new PC, but a $500 PC from 7 years ago will run like shit today, whereas an Xbox One will still play all the AAA titles.

Yes you can upgrade that 7 year old PC to give it new life - but you're investing more into the hardware. Or you could have just bought a better PC initially - again, investing more into the hardware.

It's a trade off - consoles will generally last a long time, run decently, and be easy to use. If you want cutting edge, you typically want a PC (and you'll want to spend $1000+ on it).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, Gastarbeiter said:

1.Consoles are holding gaming development back

I'd argue that consoles push game development and separates developers who actually care about their craft, at least in technical terms. Take for instance Gears 5 which runs with a surprising amount of detail on an Xbox One X without dropping below 60 FPS in most cases (cutscenes are 30 FPS, but that's a different story). This is compared to say some other Unreal Engine 4 game like Borderlands 3.

I'd argue if it weren't for consoles, a lot of game developers would simply rely on Moore's Law to make up for their deficiencies.

4 hours ago, Gastarbeiter said:

Maybe if you're looking at the XPS lineup (which is still cheaper than an Macbook Pro) or Alienware.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

many pc players don't even really care too much about framerates even, it's only really the few of us who wanna do it for gains. plenty of people still use 60hz 1080p displays according to steam statistics.

46 minutes ago, Sylvie said:

many pc players don't even really care too much about framerates even, it's only really the few of us who wanna do it for gains. plenty of people still use 60hz 1080p displays according to steam statistics.

That's true, it's just that you do have to think about maintaining a baseline where you know that a game for console X or Y should always run around 30FPS or better depending on the developer's objectives.  

More Tablets need to have USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports on them like some of the LG Tablets. 

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

1 minute ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

More Tablets need to have USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports on them like some of the LG Tablets. 

Goes to battery.  USB is a 5v dc power port.