Unpopular Tech Opinions

1 minute ago, Gale said:

I don't really think that's an opinion, more of a fact. And not just with iPhone users, but most smartphone users in general.

true...

I am just saying that people don't need the next new phone normally

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

#BringBackBlueAndWhiteBios

I cant get along with a mouse in the bios, a flashy msi dragon in the background unclear instructions and too many submenus, making no sense (for example i couldnt figure out how to set a boot ddvice other than the physical device. U had to choose the overall harddrive and then the boot ordrr in this harddrive in a so bad labeled subfolder that i dont even know how it is called anymore...) Just give me Boot, System, Cpu and Memory Settings and jam the otjer crap in some well organised subfolder System with clear explanationd when u hover over the line with the arrow keys

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

2 hours ago, rafe_28 said:

#BringBackBlueAndWhiteBios

I cant get along with a mouse in the bios, a flashy msi dragon in the background unclear instructions and too many submenus, making no sense (for example i couldnt figure out how to set a boot ddvice other than the physical device. U had to choose the overall harddrive and then the boot ordrr in this harddrive in a so bad labeled subfolder that i dont even know how it is called anymore...) Just give me Boot, System, Cpu and Memory Settings and jam the otjer crap in some well organised subfolder System with clear explanationd when u hover over the line with the arrow keys

some Lenovo Laptops have the option to switch between a "modern" and "old" BIOS design

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

4 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

some Lenovo Laptops have the option to switch between a "modern" and "old" BIOS design

Good shit

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

On 4/25/2021 at 12:11 PM, AMD A10-9600P said:

To be fair it was nice to have a free upgrade, and don't get me wrong, there's a lot I don't like about Windows 10 (telemetry, spyware...), but it's nothing Winaero Tweaker can't fix. Once Microsoft figure out how to make a consistent UI and UX, then it will be even better. Even having used XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1 before 10, I do still prefer 10.

People here tend to say that Linux is better, but for my OS to work out of the box and with all of my programs, my anonymous data isn't a bad price 😂

I work in industrial automation and it would blow your mind how vehemently people trash Windows 10 (and even Windows 7) just because they learned on XP and can't adapt to a new UI. Even when some of the new features are literally workflow breaking when trying to go back and use XP. For example, simple search in the start menu.

Windows 10 (telemetry aside) is actually incredibly stable and I love it as much as a person can love an operating system.

(username aside) 🙂 

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: 32GB Trident Z RGB 3200 GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition SSD: WD Black 1TB HDD: 2x striped WD Blue 2TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W Case: Be Quiet! Silent Base 802 Monitor: Acer XZ350CU 35" Ultrawide 144hz NIC: Intel X540-T2 10G

Laptop:

2013 Macbook Pro 15" - 8GB RAM, Intel i7, 256GB SSD

Server Infrastructure:

Dell EMC Poweredge R620: 128GB RAM, 2x Intel E5-2660v2, 4TB Storage - VMWare ESXi 6.5

Cisco UCS C240-M3S: 64GB RAM, 2x Intel 2620v2, 1TB Storage - VMWare ESXi - 6.5

Dell EMC Poweredge R520: 96GB RAM, 24TB Storage - Freenas 11.1

4 minutes ago, SteveiJobs said:

I work in industrial automation and it would blow your mind how vehemently people trash Windows 10 (and even Windows 7) just because they learned on XP and can't adapt to a new UI. Even when some of the new features are literally workflow breaking when trying to go back and use XP. For example, simple search in the start menu.

Windows 10 (telemetry aside) is actually incredibly stable and I love it as much as a person can love an operating system.

(username aside) 🙂 

I used to work for a shop that sold industrial automation equipment and used to do custom control units and PLC programming.

This 100% lines up with my experiences. The owner of the shop outright refused to upgrade from XP to 7 when XP went EOL.

To be fair, especially older PLC's (I haven't used anything newer than like 2012 era) really didn't play well with newer systems, and there were often driver issues with the programming cables.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 4/27/2021 at 3:57 AM, BlindGuyPCs said:

Aight, let's give this a shot.

1. "Lightweight" gaming nice are a waste of.time. I'd much rather have a heavier mouse with some features than a lightweight one. 

2. The H500I looks worse than NZXT's old S340 Elite. 

3. Social Media is a serious leech, and I'm glad I ditched all of it (besides discord, if you believe it to be a social media platform.) 

4. I don't see the point in spending $1000+ on a laptop, outside of "serious work" situations (editing, CAD, etc)

5. nvidia shouldn't have been praised for the price drops on the 30 series. I don't get praised if I shit the bed and then clean it up, and neither should they.

Anyways can't wait to be proven wrong on all these.

i actually agree with you on all but 3 and 1.

for 1: shooter players prefer lighter mice but i understand needing more buttons for things like work/mmos (hell i play lol on a 60%)

for 3: im similar to you actually: i only use facebook for family and instagram to message friends. beyond that, i wish they wern't run like data farms and how their algorithms work is shitty.  i believe they have a purpose, just severally missused.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

40 minutes ago, mon1ka said:

for 1: shooter players prefer lighter mice but i understand needing more buttons for things like work/mmos (hell i play lol on a 60%)

Agreed. I think people who spend hundreds of dollars to drop 10 grams on their mouse are very very stupid, but in general lighter mice for fps are important IMO. I rock a Rival 3 at like 75G and love it.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, davemc said:

Agreed. I think people who spend hundreds of dollars to drop 10 grams on their mouse are very very stupid, but in general lighter mice for fps are important IMO. I rock a Rival 3 at like 75G and love it.

There’s a long history of that.  People buying stuff who’s only advantage is for hardcore professionals mostly because they like to look sharp.  The most hilarious one is when people pay 3 grand for a racing bike and silks.  Racing bikes suck for everything but bike racing.  They’re wildly uncomfortable and unreliable.  Same with real race cars.   “HyperCars” are a close second.  They could likely buy the actual race car for less than they paid for the street “version” not uncommonly actual race versions don’t even exist.  HyperCars aren’t actually race cars. They’re kind of like gaming socks.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, davemc said:

Who does that? I thought good gaming mice that were light topped out at like 150$? Even the wireless ones.

7 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

Who does that? I thought good gaming mice that were light topped out at like 150$? Even the wireless ones.

Was more of an exaggeration. I was referencing people who have like 60g mice spending an extra hundred bucks so they can get a 55 or 50g mouse

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

I have a couple of unpopular opinions related to monitors:

• I quite like 16:9. The only issue I take with it is that for the likes of Microsoft Word, the large amounts of space either side of the document can be inefficient. However for most other things it works quite well.
  • Two normal-ratio monitors next to each other is better than one ultrawide one. This is because I generally prefer to use one monitor for whatever I'm focusing on, and another for something secondary such as a youtube video.
  • Speaking of which, I prefer my secondary monitor on the left, not the right, of the primary one. I'm not quite sure why this is - just personal preference I guess

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

21 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Two normal-ratio monitors next to each other is better than one ultrawide one. This is because I generally prefer to use one monitor for whatever I'm focusing on, and another for something secondary such as a youtube video.

YES

21 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Speaking of which, I prefer my secondary monitor on the left, not the right, of the primary one. I'm not quite sure why this is - just personal preference I guess

Are you left handed or right handed by any chance? I prefer it the other way around and I've noticed that the thing that throws me off the most is that if it was on the left side my mouse would be on the opposite side, so it would be more difficult to get used to moving it around and looking the other way. Could be just me, but it would be interesting to know.

1 hour ago, MildIrritant said:

Are you left handed or right handed by any chance? I prefer it the other way around and I've noticed that the thing that throws me off the most is that if it was on the left side my mouse would be on the opposite side, so it would be more difficult to get used to moving it around and looking the other way. Could be just me, but it would be interesting to know.

I'm right-handed and as such my mouse is to the right of the keyboard.

I currently use a full-sized keyboard-  if I went for one without the numpad, for example, then I could probably move the keyboard to the right a bit and fit the mouse on the left, but it would be awkward.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Watercooling is overrated.
Paying for Windows is paying a company to sell your telemetry. (Well... Not an opinion, but not something I do.)
Cherry MX switches are annoying.
RGB is tacky. (I set mine at one color or off.)
There's a time and a place for both 144Hz and 60Hz, neither is superior at an appropriate resolution.
The 30 Series Nvidia cards are a waste of money at MSRP.

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

DCH Drivers are fine - I've yet to see any actual explanation based on technical facts that explain why DCH drivers are "bad."

Motion Blur isn't horrible - You're either being a contrarian or haven't realized motion blur actually works properly now. Bad implementations when it was new isn't a reason to hate on it now.

RTX and Raytracing is a part of the future of gaming - This is playing out like PhysX. PhysX was dismissed as a gimmick but guess what's standardized now? Physics implementations in almost every game. What's quickly becoming standard now? Ray Tracing.
Sometimes you need to push it forward when people doubt to make the future happen...

Without Consoles trying to compete with PCs we wouldn't have ReBAR and other similar features that have been possible for years. - Yes I'm saying consoles pushed it forward and PCs leaped to keep up this time around. Also wtf that we didn't get this stuff sooner(it makes sense if we break it down, but that's another topic.)

CAPTCHA sucks, is too easily bypassed, and is mostly a placebo - Research it yourself. Captcha is not going to stop serious scalpers and bots. It will only slow down the mediocre ones.

Don't use GPU power splitters. One connection per GPU power cable - From what I've seen and researched those cables were meant for 1000 series and earlier where 2 x 6 pin power was still a thing. You can't trust them on 2000 and 3000 series Nvidia GPUs where the power draw is that much higher and the cables can't even be trusted to be at spec. Of which there is a lot of variability to the specs, some of the ATI PSU specs are non mandatory. Unless you know 100% for sure that your cables are actually the AWG they are supposed to be don't do it. Just don't do it anyway. There's no benefit to using a splitter for GPU power and possible detriments if you do use one.

Your mom always forgets to bring a towel. - This one speaks for itself. 

Micro USB is totally fine, even these days.

I don't need USB Type C. I only have it on one phone and none of my other devices use it. There's a connector on my motherboard, but my case doesn't have it.

I actually like using micro USB, plenty of devices I still own have it from the PS3 era before 2014. My wireless headset uses it for charging.
I dislike the small USB connector on the PS4/Xbox One more as it's harder to plug in and it's also too tight in my opinion.

Edit: Post #500!

7 minutes ago, FRD said:

I don't need USB Type C. I only have it on one phone and none of my other devices use it. There's a connector on my motherboard, but my case doesn't have it.

I actually like using micro USB, plenty of devices I still own have it from the PS3 era before 2014. My wireless headset uses it for charging.
I dislike the small USB connector on the PS4/Xbox One more as it's harder to plug in and it's also too tight in my opinion.

Edit: Post #500!

The PS4 and Xbox One use the Micro USB ...

21 hours ago, Intoxicus said:

RTX and Raytracing is a part of the future of gaming - This is playing out like PhysX. PhysX was dismissed as a gimmick but guess what's standardized now? Physics implementations in almost every game. What's quickly becoming standard now? Ray Tracing.

Physical simulation is not a gimmick and never was.

PhysX was a gimmick. It is idea of hardware accelerated physical computation, firstly with a dedicated card (failed) and then with GPU acceleration (detrimental to game performance). The implementation of PhysX has completely failed, and will likely die out. It's only been used in barely 40 games ...

The implementation of multi-core processors, vastly more powerful GPUs with dedicated compute units ... all combined with a complete failure of the industry to push more integrated physics into their games (multiplayer been a core bottleneck for this) has led to the demise of any further requirements for dedicated physics compute units in PCs.

Now I would looove if games increased physics in their games 10 fold. LOoooove it. But PhysX is a failed technology. There are only a handful of games that support it and it's purely cosmetic.

1 hour ago, FRD said:

Going even further, I'd say that mini USB is better than micro USB.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 9/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, imreloadin said:

Does wearing a seat belt cause you to drive more dangerously? That's literally the argument you're making here...

It might - when you feel very safe, you are likely to accept more risk.  That isn't the point, however.  Seatbelts don't change the requirements for driving.  If you can rely on auto-braking, you may not encounter the "near-misses" or small collisions which train you to pay attention and brake early.  It encourages people to offload their driving decision-making to a computer which may or may not make the right decision.  

So your saying eliminating human factors is bad?

7 hours ago, Fanshaw said:

It encourages people to offload their driving decision-making to a computer which may or may not make the right decision.  

It really needs to happen. Its a bigger risk to let humans do everything and kinda be good at it, which still doesnt delete the human failure danger, than have a machine trained for exactly that do it

Spoiler

2 hours ago, rafe_28 said:

So your saying eliminating human factors is bad?

It really needs to happen. Its a bigger risk to let humans do everything and kinda be good at it, which still doesnt delete the human failure danger, than have a machine trained for exactly that do it

The problem appears to be currently that while machine driving is improving it is still possible for cataclysmic mistakes to occur.  It becomes an issue of liability. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/19/2019 at 1:41 AM, Guest said:

Ever feel like you were alone in what you thought about technology today? I sure have, so I thought I'd create this thread to see if we're truly as alone as we may think. So ITT, list off a few items that seems go against the grain when it comes to mainstream tech ideas. I'll start.

1. High end specs in a phone (ie 12GB of RAM) are a waste of money to both produce and buy

2. 'Safety features' in a modern vehicles, like applying the brakes for you, will create bad driving habits and bad drivers overall

3. Voice assistants are a bad idea

Agree with all these

Megapixels are overrated. 108 MP on a phone is just ridiculous and makes the pictures take up far more space than they need to.